Skip to content

[ITEM REQUESTS] Item Ideas

BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
edited June 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Hello.

This is just going to be a small organized thread where I would like to submit some item ideas based upon items I have created in a BG mod I generated a while back called the PLUS mod (BG TuTu: PLUS). The items I concern myself with are the generally less represented items: Halberds, Spears, Flails, War Hammers (in basically that order). Bear in mind, I know BG2 represents these items fairly well on the end-game part of the spectrum. Most of the items I'm suggesting are mid-grade magicals, with some minor bonus abilities.

HALBERDS

Halberd +1: 'Torch'
Grants wearer infravision up to 120 ft
33% chance: +1 Fire damage
66% chance: +1 Fire damage

(chances of no fire damage, +1 fire damage and +2 fire damage on attack).

Halberd +1: 'Blight'
33% chance: Invoke Blindness for 18 seconds (save vs spells -1; lasts 3 rounds).

Halberd +2: 'Shell'
AC bonus: +1

Halberd +2: 'Bonescraper'
+3 THAC0 vs Undead.
+3 damage vs Undead.

Halberd +3: 'Quicksilver'
+1 extra attacks / round.
Considered a Silver weapon (flagged as silver).

Halberd +3: 'Dragonslayer' (inspired by Dragon's Breath +4)
Add +1 randomly determined magic damage...
...add +1 Acid damage (0-20%).
...add +1 Cold damage (20-40%).
...add +1 Fire damage (40-60%).
...add +1 Lightning damage (60-80%).
...add +1 Magic damage (80-100%).

(each strike will always add +1 damage, just randomly determined).
(there's a 4% chance of doing +2 damage, at 20%, 40%, 60% and 80%).

Halberd +4: 'Death Wish'
CURSED!
Immunity to Confusion.
Immunity to Charm.
Immunity to Poison.
Immunity to Petrification.
Immunity to Stun.
Immunity to Hold.
1% chance to...
...reduce enemy life to 1% and also,
replenish wielder life to 100% (no save).
...reduce wielder's life to 1% and also,
replenish target life to 100% (no save).
Casts Remove Curse.
Can only be removed with a 'remove curse' spell.

(Being that it is Cursed, but grants the 'Remove Curse' spell,
it prevents quick switching during combat with this weapon).

Halberd +5: 'Hand of Murder' (inspired by Ravager +6)
66% chance: Ignore Enemy Physical Resistance (no save).
10% chance: Vorpal Attack (no save); (weapon glows temporarily after a vorpal attack).

SPEARS

Spear +4: 'Splinter'
33% chance: +1d6 damage (piercing).
66% chance: +1d6 damage (piercing).

(could add no damage, +1d6 damage, or add +2d6 damage)
(effectively doubles or triples weapon damage, not before Critical)

Spear +5: 'Black Bite'
40% chance: Invoke Blindness for 18 seconds (save vs spells -5; lasts 3 rounds).
66% chance: +1d6 Acid damage.

FLAILS

Flail +3: 'Ogre Beater'
33% chance: Instantly slay Ogres, Half Ogres, Ogre Mages and Ogrillons.

Flail +5: 'Crucifier'
+1 extra attacks / round.
33% chance to...
...add +1 Acid damage.
...add +1 Cold damage.
...add +1 Fire damage.
66% chance to...
...add +1 Acid damage.
...add +1 Cold damage.
...add +1 Fire damage.

(each damage bonus is rolled independently)
(could do zero Acid damage, one Cold damage, and two fire damage).

WAR HAMMERS

War Hammer +4: 'The Champion'
+1 Strength.
33% chance: +1 Fire damage.
66% chance: +1 Fire damage.
20% chance: Slow target (no save; lasts 1 round/6 sec).

(could add no fire damage, +1 fire damage, or +2 fire damage)

War Hammer +5: 'The King'
+1 Strength.
+1 Constitution.
33% chance: +1 Magic damage.
66% chance: +1 Magic damage.
20% chance: Stun target (no save; lasts 1 round/6 sec).

(could add no magic damage, +1 magic damage, or +2 magic damage)

Comments

• BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Everyone's a critic.

Just some ideas on items I've put forth. Whether or not they, the BG Team, use them or where they would put them, is their call.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Whats with the 33% and 66% chance to do the same thing? It seems pointless.
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    edited June 2012
    Whats with the 33% and 66% chance to do the same thing? It seems pointless.
    Not exactly, statistically speaking. There is a minor difference, but I'm not sure it's worth the complication. I'm pretty sure weapons and other items will be restricted to mods though. Unless they're included in adventures X and Y

Ulcaster Skeleton Ring Secret Door With Flames Drawn On It
    Between the 33% and the 66%, the occurrences could happen separately or together, or not at all entirely.
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    edited June 2012
    Magic weapons are great no doubt or contention about that, but I do think we generally see a lot of them.

If I got to choose a magic item to go into the game then I would like it to have a little character beyond hitting for X amount +%chance of Y damage.

More interesting to me would be an item like a flying, talking spell book that could come in to the game as a semi permanent summon (a lot like find familiar), float around after you, and have a few of the of exotic utility spells unavailable to the player. Why would the book have these you ask? Well I'm glad you did ask, because have I got a tale for you! This is the spell book of Lief the elven mage from waaaaay across the sea, (a much better mage than any of your current group, as the book has no qualms in telling you at inopportune moments!) and owing to a misunderstanding between our magical tome, and a certain princess famous for her enormous.... eyes... Our rapscallion of a magical compendium had to smuggle himself out disguised as a common dictionary!
    edited June 2012
    @cadros

Soooo... you want Ubos? or maybe Lilocar's long lost brother.
    edited June 2012
    I am ashamed to say that Ubos was in my mind when I wrote that post :D

The book and Lilocar would argue endlessly over which was mightier, the pen or the sword...
    In that case I also want a scoot zoom! Oh god, how do I still remember these things?!
    My excuse is I need to remember these things so I can tell my kids exactly how much better my childhood shows are than theirs...

More on topic, I think we need to add mage hoods and hats to the game with a variety of minor buffs, otherwise it is just a wasted slot throughout the game.
  • aXidalaXidal Member Posts: 61
    edited June 2012
    As said earlier, most of this are really overpowered for BGI, in fact AFAIK there is only 5 +3 or higher weapons in BGI, of which one is The Cursed Sword of Berserking, and two is dropped by Drizzt. That leaves Short Sword of Backstabbing and Two Handed Sword +3, which both is plain +3 weapons with no additional abilities.

That said, I do like your weapons, but I think they should either be nerfed, or in BGII, and if you do any more of them, remember that their is not a single magic club in BGI. But on the other hand, club is the most uncool weapon ever made.

Update: I forgot the Quarterstaff +3
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    BG1 doesn't need weapons +3 and more !

+2 is enough and they are already overpowered
    Who knows how many changes to BG1 or BG2 they'll be making to scale difficulty upwards.
  • aXidalaXidal Member Posts: 61
    Thing is, they can't scale it that much, because if they did, that would make you far to powerful in bgII
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Its actually an interesting problem. Besides BG1 and TotSC, they have confirmed that BGEE will have two new adventures.

I know that when I play using BGT, I actually complete BG1+TotSC at level 8, so there's no problem when BG2 starts, but I think I did see @TrentOster saying on Twitter that they may raise the level cap to accomodate the new content. So I wonder what they'll do about importing characters to BG2EE.
  • unfortunate_oneunfortunate_one Member Posts: 44
    I think that the original poster had some cool item ideas, but probably a bit to powerful for BG. Items don't have to be super powerful to help a low level player out. Any ideas? Here are a few:

Collectors Belt
    Only usable by halflings and gnomes.
    +4 strength when figuring weight capacity.

Old Grove Club
    Only usable by Druids
    Lowers opponents AC by 1 with successful hit

Holy amulet
    Only Usable by Clerics
    Prevents fear on all friendly units within 10 feet radius.

edited June 2012
    I don't get why people think the ideas put forward are exclusively for BG1 or BG2.
    I don't get why people think the ideas put forward are exclusively for BG1 or BG2.
    I just said your items were to powerful for BG. I liked your ideas.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited June 2012
    Clearly Boaster intended for all of these items to be scattered around the Candlekeep courtyard. :)

It's a good jumping off point, certainly. I think, incidentally, that BG2 did a much better job of representing the underrepresented weapon types; it's BG1 that's sorely lacking. If you're wielding anything other than a dagger, short sword, long sword, two-handed sword, or longbow, you're seriously missing out on what the game has to offer.
    Clearly Boaster intended for all of these items to be scattered around the Candlekeep courtyard. :)
    Rats! Foiled again!
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950

It's a good jumping off point, certainly. I think, incidentally, that BG2 did a much better job of representing the underrepresented weapon types; it's BG1 that's sorely lacking. If you're wielding anything other than a dagger, short sword, long sword, two-handed sword, or longbow, you're seriously missing out on what the game has to offer.
    War hammers are really not too bad either if you rush Bassilus.
    War hammers are really not too bad either if you rush Bassilus.
    True. But these War Hammers might be better suited for BG2.
  • ShareazuShareazu Member Posts: 51
    i always liked the idea of having a non-cursed item that had it's own vantages and disadvantages; that way, the player would have to measure it's pros and cons, and judge it worthy to use or not... for example, you could have a longbow that would give you -1 attacks per round, but would have a greater damage and/or range.

or maybe i've been playing TF2 too much...
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @Shareazu Yeah, your suggestion made me think of TF2 right away. Their item balancing is spectacular. There is a kind of general trade-off with weapons, like using a crossbow instead of a shortbow for your attacks vs. damage scenario, but it would be interesting to have more or less equivalent items to pick from. Like the mage robes of whatever resistance.
    i always liked the idea of having a non-cursed item that had it's own vantages and disadvantages; that way, the player would have to measure it's pros and cons, and judge it worthy to use or not... for example, you could have a longbow that would give you -1 attacks per round, but would have a greater damage and/or range.

I think thais a great way to come up with new items. Like a sword that has a negative chance to hit but a greater chance for a critical hit.

• ShareazuShareazu Member Posts: 51

I think thais a great way to come up with new items. Like a sword that has a negative chance to hit but a greater chance for a critical hit.

exactly, that kind of thing :D
  • AzL0nAzL0n Member Posts: 126
    @Boaster

Cool list man. The Baldur's Gate series does have a slight Halberd deficiency. Wave is really powerful though but there should be a decent one in BG1 as well. BG1 also needs: Better flail, Club, Mace, morning star.
    edited June 2012
    @Boaster

Cool list man. The Baldur's Gate series does have a slight Halberd deficiency. Wave is really powerful though but there should be a decent one in BG1 as well. BG1 also needs: Better flail, Club, Mace, morning star.
    Oh, I agree: Flail, Mace and Morning Star. In fact, I forgot about Morning Stars. Anyone have suggestions for Maces and/or Morning Stars?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Katanas, ninjatos and the other things that are in BG2 but not BG1 as well are needed
    edited June 2012
    Katanas, ninjatos and the other things that are in BG2 but not BG1 as well are needed
    Indeed.

And also a Lance deficiency :)