Skip to content

How do you roll stats? (Spoilers)

The user and all related content has been deleted.
  1. How do you roll stats? (Spoilers)167 votes
    1. I take the 1st roll (and maybe make slight alterations in point allocation)
        0.60%
    2. I roll a handful of times (and make slight alterations in point allocation)
      16.77%
    3. I roll until I match or beat Imoen's (sister Bhaalspawn) points (87+)
      17.96%
    4. I roll until I match or beat Dorn's (highest NPC) points (90+)
      16.77%
    5. I roll until I RULE! (94+ points...very rare unless playing a ranger or paladin, I think)
      31.14%
    6. I use a character editor
        3.59%
    7. Other (please explain)
      13.17%

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    edited November 2013
    It depends on my character. For some characters I am pleased with their stats in the mid to high 80's, often a score of 88 specifically.

Some characters are more demanding of points, or I really want them to be amazing, so I struggle and strive for low 90's, almost never more than 92 because I lose patience. I think the highest I ever rolled was 95, for a paladin kit.
  • ShadowTigerShadowTiger Member Posts: 60
    edited November 2013
    I roll until I get a number I feel satisfied with. Sometimes I just roll a handful of times, sometimes I roll for 5-10 minutes, depending on how stat reliant a character's class is. I never go below 82, but if I were to get 18/00 strength on a character with 83 total, that would be fine for a Fighter.

I tend to get pretty lucky with rolls, and my last party had something like 93/92/92/86/92/93 stats (6 characters). Some characters got those stats within 5 rolls, some were more like 50-100 rolls. Maybe I am underestimating...

In Icewind dale I had: 93/88/91/88/90/93 for 6 characters. My protagonist has to have 18 charisma so that is a bit of rerolling. The bard and necromancer seem to get high rolls, probably because of high prerequisites. The thief usually has the lowest stats.

• magpiemagpie Member Posts: 79
    edited November 2013
    *other: `until I pass out', or `it's about the journey not about the destination'.

When I started playing BG, I was pretty young, so I cared a lot about my character being as awesome as possible, resulting in me rerolling for like an hour. Since we didn't have the awesome total indicator back then, I got really, really good at estimating the total value of six numbers between 3 and 18 (and the music is burned in my auditory cortex), going through like a roll per second, only checking the promising cases.

Anyway, this sort of became an integral part of the BG series for me, so unless I spend at least half an hour rerolling, I don't really feel like I'm starting a new BG playthrough :D it's not really about the final result, though yeah, statistically, it's going to be awesome.
    SliceofhellStormvessel
  • Xar105Xar105 Member Posts: 112
    five rolls and i made 94 + no my dual wield warrior beserk op. J like roll to 80-90 because your hero on start is super powerfull.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Those saved game editors sure are nifty. Only if I want to bump up a stat or knock it down, depending on the character.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    I just had an 80-something roll on a fighter, with an exceptional strength of like /89, which I stored, but ended up replacing with a 95 (on a fighter!) roll because clearly higher numbers in intelligence, wisdom and charisma are worth enduring /12 exceptional strength.

I wish someone made a mod which let you talk to an NPC at the start of the game who could just set your stats to anything that is theoretically possible to roll for your race/class combo. Even if it's a 108 roll. For lack thereof I'm gonna start saving the clua commands for creating tomes.
  • magpiemagpie Member Posts: 79
    @enqenq enable the console/cheats and press Ctrl-8 in the rolling screen? (sets all your attributes to the maximum. Just take points off until you're happy).
    enqenq
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    enqenq said:

I just had an 80-something roll on a fighter, with an exceptional strength of like /89, which I stored, but ended up replacing with a 95 (on a fighter!) roll because clearly higher numbers in intelligence, wisdom and charisma are worth enduring /12 exceptional strength.

I wish someone made a mod which let you talk to an NPC at the start of the game who could just set your stats to anything that is theoretically possible to roll for your race/class combo. Even if it's a 108 roll. For lack thereof I'm gonna start saving the clua commands for creating tomes.

Couldnt you do the Cltr+Shift+8 during character creation? you can potentially get 109 or 110 if you are using nonhuman races.
    enqenq
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    I'd say you guys owe me a number of hours of my life for not telling me sooner, but I guess I owe you some hours of my life for future saved time lol. <3
  • badbromancebadbromance Member Posts: 238
    I just do it 10 or so times, I dont want to waste to much time.
    My charname will be pretty boss eventually so stats aren't that important.

however I made a Jester yesterday for my good play thru and got a 96 after about 10 rolls
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    thespace said:

My OCD tendencies were better sated by the point system of Ice Wind Dale II.

In pen and paper I always prefer point buy. I have terrible to middling dice rolls, especially for stats.
    [Deleted User]
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I aim for about 85, unless I have certain expectations. My stats are a RP-related value, so often I fluctuate from 83-88 depending on the character and what I feel their statline should look like in accordance with their skills and personality. Sometimes I take the tomes available in BG1 into consideration as well, eg. keeping a stat lower than I could make it in order to still feel my character strikes a comfortable and believable balance between powerful and appropriate. I couldn't have several 18s on one character: even having 2 might be a stretch.
    Philhelm
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    I normally settle in the 80s unless I get a particularly lucky roll early on!
  • DriftedDrifted Member Posts: 5
    My real answer is more like between Dorn and I RULE answers. My latest was first try with autoroller just to see how high you could get "legally" (as in in limits of the game). Ended up with 101 roll for my blade. But normally I have rolled by hand for ten minutes to get 90 or so roll.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    One thing I want to try is taking one of the NPC's stat arrays, rearranging it and using it for your own stats (after accounting for race). That way you get a "fair" distribution without leaving it up to the RNG. Pick Quayle for a challenge, or use Coran's illegal dex roll if you want to be godly :D
    Philhelm
  • I roll till I'm happy/surpised. On my current cleric/thief I rolled 89 and clicked again *berzerk*. Then I rerolled faster en to my surprise I hit 91 I now have 18/18/17/11/17/10 on my gnome and she is sinster as hell (Imoen does the talking)
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2013
    Well, I like having my main stats fleshed out, with average stats spread across the rest. The only change to this is in that one no-reload tournament that gives a maximum number of rerolls.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I set up the autoroller, go make a sammich and then take whatever it has managed to snag for me. Auto-sammich-rolling is the future.
    Alderic
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    edited November 2013
    There is a few rules about how I roll:
    1. When I roll 90, I'm all good. I can be satisfacted with little less roll, but when I get 90 I can stop. If, by a chance, I roll more than 90, then I consider myself super lucky.
    2. I want to make my character effective with what he/she is going to do.
    3. But at the same time, I don't want a perfect character. I knowlingly give him/her imperfections (I don't necceseraly need max dexterity or optimal constitution)
    4. I am a roleplayer. My character has grew up in a Candlekeep, raised by Gorion, so I don't consider inteligence and wisdom below 10 as a realistic.
    5. I want a party leader, so charisma below 14 is a no.
    6. Also, while assigning stats, I consider how my character could potentialy spend 20 years in Candlekeep.
    7. I have fun.
    JuliusBorisovSouthpawsunset00
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    I just roll until i get 82+ and make alterations according to class.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Specifically, I keep anything greater than or equal to 89.
    Quartzlolien
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    I either set up auto-roller and go to sleep for about 8 hours and wake up to a retardedly good roll.. Or I just press ctrl-8 if I don't feel like waiting that long. :P
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    I always roll 93. No more no less.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I like Charname's ToB stat average to exceed Sarevok's, so that is an excess of 95 after adding in tomes and Hell trials. Realistically, it usually means I try to roll 90 or more, though I will often use 'Keeper or NI or mess around with the actual point distribution later.
    onansunset00
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    My daddy was a god, I deserve godly stats.
    onan
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Depends on the class and which game I'm playing.

E.g. for a paladin in BG2 I'd ideally like a 95 allowing me 18 in all the physical stats and 11 int for mindflayers. In BG1 I can lower int with a paladin or wis and cha with a different warrior. Depends on the warrior strength score too.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I used to re-roll till getting high stats. But after trying an amazing 75-no-reload contest by @EnterHaerDalis I often take one of 75 rolls that has appropriate (to my tastes) distribution, usually with high dexterity. It's still enough, as there're many items that enhance your stats.

Also, if I play with SCS, I can take the best from 20 rolls.
  • KriegerKrieger Member Posts: 40
    I keep rolling until I get stats that work for the class I'm about to play. I just look at the total number at the bottom (kudos to the developers for adding that in, by the way) and then adjust the stats up and down until they work for me.