Skip to content

How do you roll stats? (Spoilers)

Comments

• ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I am a bhaalspawn! I should have bhaalspawn stats. Not like one op character makes it too easy, and other characters usually catch up with some gear.
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    back in the day I rolled untill my eyes bleed, 1 hour -_- .. now i just choose a number and give my charname stats. normaly 85-90... its just a waste of time IMHO. I wana play ;D.
    I won't stop untill i get around 90, so why bother.
  • csuzwcsuzw Member Posts: 48
    Ctrl+8, then edit down to ~90. I don't like characters to have uniform stats so generally try to not to use the same number more than once (something like 14/17/16/10/18/15 for my druid for example). I find if I roll, I end up in a trance and end up missing the good rolls anyway because I'm clicking too fast.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    depends, sometimes i only do a natural rolls until I make 17 in my prime requisite (this lead to a con 7 avenger!), sometimes i limit myself to a set total, but allow for some rejigging of points.

sometimes i max/min rolls, but more recently I've been doing RP rolls, which can lead me to rolling an 87, but only using 80 points to create the character
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    Krieger said:

I keep rolling until I get stats that work for the class I'm about to play. I just look at the total number at the bottom (kudos to the developers for adding that in, by the way) and then adjust the stats up and down until they work for me.

Agreed, I actually find it difficult to play Icewind Dale 1 / 2 at times because of the lack of that feature :)
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    My rolling:
    - roll, roll, roll, roll ... roll !
    - roll until you get at least 86 points, rearrange the points and find out I am still missing a few to get values I do think the particular CHARNAME should have.
    - roll, roll, roll...
    - roll, roll, roll, roll, ROLL DARNIT!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

- bugger this! I will add those 2 attr. points in EEKeeper!
    ... jokes aside, my rolling is actually very similar to @ZelgadisGW

Roll a couple of rolls until I get 86 or more. Assign values so that only one attribute can be 18 (primary), one 17, one 16 and the rest is free (no munchkins). None of the attributes can be lower than 10 (no min-maxing) and charisma is preferred above 14 (I am going to be a suave bastard)
    I try to limit myself with 20-30 rolls tops. Even if it's lower than 86.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Southpaw said:

Roll a couple of rolls until I get 86 or more. Assign values so that only one attribute can be 18 (primary), one 17, one 16 and the rest is free (no munchkins). None of the attributes can be lower than 10 (no min-maxing) and charisma is preferred above 14 (I am going to be a suave bastard)

If you're rolling say, an elf or gnome do you go for 19-18-17? Or do you go 19-17 or 19-16?
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I roll until I hit around 84 - 86. I don't often hit higher (though I'll easily take it). Also I just don't like spending a lot of time on rolling, I just want to get a decent amount and then plow through into the game itself.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Best out of 10 for single class, best out of 20 for multi, best out of 25 for single class to be dualed.

Southpaw said:

If you're rolling say, an elf or gnome do you go for 19-18-17? Or do you go 19-17 or 19-16?
    18/19-17-16...
    But I mostly don't. Illithids have similar stats than humans.
  • RazaDelromRazaDelrom Member Posts: 149
    I limit myself to 10-30 min of rolling, anything with 90 or more is acceptable, even though I might try for a 18/91 and a point less if the char is a fighter. If I can't find a sollution, I will try again the following day, since no real adventurer is raised in one day.
    It really pays off not to use any outside "help", better spend the time inventing your background story while you keep one eye on the dice. When you hit your desired combination you already have fought for a nearly lost cause, and beat all the odds. What better start could you possibly have?
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I usually assign points based on what I feel my characters should have depending on their RP-concepts. For caster types I can usually roll this up quickly as they tend to have a much lower score overall, whereas for physical characters I tend to Ctrl+8 first to save some time.
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    Depends on my mood. I usually go for high (86-87+) stats, which is not hard to do, but sometimes I feel like playing the underdog and will take a 75 roll.
  • QbertQbert Member Posts: 195
    I have been confining myself to best of 20 rolls. I find it gives me a good chance of high stats without power gaming too much. I then min max a bit but never go down too far in any stat. Lowest i think is 9 or 10 so far. I'm actually not sure how far down the power gaming spectrum this practice puts me.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    edited November 2013
    Qbert said:

I have been confining myself to best of 20 rolls. I find it gives me a good chance of high stats without power gaming too much. I then min max a bit but never go down too far in any stat. Lowest i think is 9 or 10 so far. I'm actually not sure how far down the power gaming spectrum this practice puts me.

Any kind of roll number restriction is pretty anti-powergamey (which i why i don't do it, since I have the soul of a powergamer), but the practice of not gimping stats kind of varies depending on whether you gimp 'core' stats in order to achieve it. For example, if your rule of say, not lowering Wisdom beyond 10 means that instead of 18 Con your Fighter has to have 15 Con, that's fairly anti-powergamey in my book. My Fighter>Thief dual, for example, got a roll of 95, but her highest stat is Intelligence (which is completely useless for her), followed by Dexterity (which is useful) and Charisma (mildly useful), and her Wisdom started at 14. Her lowest Stat was Contitution at 11, so she gains no bonus HP at all, and she only had 16 Strength, which makes her a pretty non-powergamey Fighter despite her extremely high total roll.
    Post edited by Eudaemonium on
  • LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    If I am rolling fighter/ranger/paladin types, I always have to roll until I get 18/00 str. It's an obsessive compulsive thing. I've literally spent 4 hours + creating parties, haha. I would be scared to see how many hours I've spent in my lifetime creating BG/IWD characters. It would be a scary number for sure.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    This seems about right.
  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
    autoroller
  • RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    I have learned to accept that which the fates decide with minimal re-rolling as I have grown older. I initially roll five times and take the best of those rolls. Depending on my projection of the character, as thought up in my imagination, I may re-roll another five times if I feel the dice have been especially unforgiving. I have only recently dabbled with multi-class characters and I can see how a broader margin for re-rolling may be fair.

We all have our quirks concerning certain stats, which can aid, as well as hinder. I like to have high charisma. 18 if possible. 15 if needs must. Unless playing a straight warrior I don't prioritize strength to anything greater than 10 or 13 for carry weight, and weapon/armor requirements. I find it almost impossible to lower dexterity below 17. Even when playing a class who benefit in no way from intelligence or wisdom, I have a minimum in mind for role-playing/immersion purposes.

I've often considered picking up some D&D dice, as much for novelty and pride of place on my desk, as for rolling attributes before choosing a class. Baldur's Gate is my only D&D experience, thus no real dice. There are online dice rollers, of course, and the outcome is the same. It's a long standing desire to roll a character as such.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I try for high charisma as well. It just doesn't feel right if the main character isn't at the top of the party, you know?
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    I am looking for 2 things

- 85+ stat ish or with 18/00 str for a normal game

- A good 75 stat roll, unedited for the 75 stat no reload challenge

Often I'll just roll and export characters and have a stock of guys ready to go
  • ChinookUTChinookUT Member Posts: 32
    I'll roll at least once and no more than ten times. No modifications to any of the chosen roll's stats.
  • TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180
    Unfortunately I'm fairly power-gamey, but my requirement for certain statistics ensures a strange kind of "balance", for example my PC mages I can't have anything less than 13 wisdom for a series-spanner to hit that magical 18 threshold when it's "needed" in ToB.

I also find I'm not able to sacrifice charisma, nothing less than 15, same with constitution, and if I have less than 17 dexterity I'm welcoming pain. So it boils down to sacrificing strength, and since I enjoy not being encumbered (and not taking up equipment slots to manage character short-comings) I find sacrifices must be made in other areas.

Often-times I find myself rolling clerics with low wisdom (they have plenty of spells anyway, and their selection of them isn't all that great) and fighters with low strength. My latest human berserker is 16/18/19/19/16/16 (I bet you'll never figure out what I'm going to do with him), I know it could have been the most perfect of meta-gamed characters by reducing charisma by just a few points, but it doesn't suit my vision for the character.

I often do strange things like make single-classed elven fighters that reach 18 strength after tomes and don't equip belts, they get enough proficiency points that weapon selection agony is reduced. I think mages are over-estimated, and that it's on the strength of a few good spells and being able to rest in so many places that gives them their value. Don't get me wrong, I play them religiously, I just wish resting made more sense, like being able to camp with enemies just out-of-sight, honestly, it doesn't feel heroic destroying monsters who seem to have lost the will to even move for 8 hours at a time, and require your presence to instill purpose in their lives, gotta feel sorry for them.

My fastest and "least cheesiest" of games have always been my fighter solo's, granted, they drink enough potions to piss a river after certain fights, but that's what makes that style of game compelling to me, intelligent buff selection combined with non-renewable resource management.

tl;dr: And that's how I justify using a roll of 97.

:>
  • SpiffyMcBangSpiffyMcBang Member Posts: 160
    I don't roll high stats because I feel the need to be overpowered or some such. I roll for high stats because the simple act of doing it is fun. My poll answer was that I go until I beat Dorn's, but truthfully I'll go and keep taking the highest total until I get bored of rolling. The only exception is if I'm rolling a warrior class, where I have to check the strength percentile on any high total score to see if I want to keep it. Sometimes that means getting 94+, sometimes I just can't seem to ever crack 90.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited November 2013
    I usually have a total in mind that I want to use to distribute points. I then take whatever roll I get, then I use *Keeper to change it. No point in wasting time rolling 100 times.
  • RellinRellin Member Posts: 28
    I use an autoroller and typically want at least a 94.
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    edited November 2013
    Ctrl+8 and take a few off. Seriously, I'm a demigod, I'm gunna have good stats.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    I like to go until I get something above an 85. Something doesn't make me happy, well, there's books and items to help~
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    For my BG chars, I usually roll until I get 90+ (because of the chars background). Best I got so far is a 100p Barb (dualing to Druid in BG 2) and a 99p Wild Mage.
    For other RPGs, that don't use a point-buy-system, I usually roll 3 times and take the best rolls.