Skip to content

Steam: what's so great about it?

2»

Comments

• ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    TJ_Hooker said:

Are you sure it's necessary to put Steam in off-line mode while you still have a connection? If I start Steam while not connected to the internet, it tries to connect for a few seconds, and then I get a pop-up box saying there was a connection error, it gives me an option to "Retry Connection" or "Start In Offline Mode". I select offline mode and then away I go.

Edit: or am I just misunderstanding what you guys are referring to?

isn't that what happens when you are connected to a network, but the internet for it is currently offline?
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    This is the only great thing about steam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxv_dkf-JFw
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

TJ_Hooker said:

Are you sure it's necessary to put Steam in off-line mode while you still have a connection? If I start Steam while not connected to the internet, it tries to connect for a few seconds, and then I get a pop-up box saying there was a connection error, it gives me an option to "Retry Connection" or "Start In Offline Mode". I select offline mode and then away I go.

isn't that what happens when you are connected to a network, but the internet for it is currently offline?
    I tested it out by disconnecting from my network and launching Steam, and that was the message/options I got.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    TJ_Hooker said:

TJ_Hooker said:

I tested it out by disconnecting from my network and launching Steam, and that was the message/options I got.
    seems very random then. it seems to never do that for me when I am actually out of the house though. the one time after i got my desktop so steam was logged in to that i actually really needed an internet because steamguard doesn't let me have steam logged into multiple computers. steamguard is my one problem i ever have and that is supposed to protect me. i don't know if i would appreciate it more if it were gone or something but right now it just feels like an annoyance.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited November 2013
    Steamguard is only effective if your steam password and email password are different. Guild Wars 2 uses a similar system if you don't use their mobile authenticator.

if the hacker can guess your email address and both steam and email use the same password, you're effed up.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    edited November 2013
    My copy of jade empire that I bought from steam did not work so i purchased a copy from gog. I still buy stuff from steam on occasion but now I'm a bit more cautious about it.

The free to play games are a rather nice touch. There are some pretty good ones out there (team fortress 2, spiral knights, No more room in hell, etc.)
    Post edited by Night_Watch on
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Steam has been seamless for me. Why I like it is the convenience. Now that buying hard copy games is often just a sleeve and a CD, there's no value in owning them (they just take up shelf space). I like the auto updating of games, so I don't have to worry about patches and the like.

I don't like the facebook style friends and pop-ups telling me what other people are playing. I'm not a MP gamer and have no interest in it, so I don't care who's playing Terraria, for instance. It does clue me in when my college kidlets are not quite as studious, which might be a reason for them to un-like Steam.

Other benefits are the sales (I seldom take advantage, though, as I buy games I want when I want to buy them, and only when I plan to buy). Overall, I like the service of Steam and haven't had reason to be angry or disappointed with it.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    TJ_Hooker said:

@TJ_Hooker,

After a certain length of time, Steam requires a mandatory connection. Presumably to authenticate that you didn't change your identity in the last day or so. One of my desktops, for example, will not start in offline mode due to the length of time it has been offline (I connected yesterday morning).

Starting Steam brings me to the left image, filling in my details does what you might expect when no connection is present and brings up the right image, clicking on the "Start in offline mode" brings me back to the left. It just loops for me.