Skip to content

Elves vs Dwarves

Pipe249Pipe249 Member Posts: 17
which one of these two do you like more?
  1. Favorite race?224 votes
    1. Dwarf
      41.96%
    2. Elf
      58.04%

Comments

• BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    lets face it, elves are intelligent, attractive, and while a bit snotty, i enjoy when i get the upper hand on them. They are more the females of the universe when compared to dwarves.

Dwarves on the other hand are course, strong, and usually will say what's on their minds. they always strike me as the males of the universe, and when you get the upper hand on them, they either don't care, go drink ale, or plant an axe in your skull.

Being a guy, i'll go with the elves, thank you.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    It's funny; elves are supposed to be fairly rare in D&D and still have way more subraces than any other player race, even in AD&D. Personally, the only elven blooded race I actually like are the Fey'ri, but those aren't really "elves" per se.

Dwarves are more to my liking; they have tasty beer n' ale, sexy muscular woman and the greatest beards in all of Toril.
  • DejwoSWKDejwoSWK Member Posts: 35
    Elves are more noble,prettier and still strong(and probably little arrogant) but still awesome and I do not like smaller races,even if they are tough,strong and still smart like dwarfs,so Elves all the way!
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    edited August 2012
    I am a fan of Elves. They are noble and elegant, yet beyond adept at Warfare. They live in relative harmony, unlike the dwarves, who are generally plagued by greed, alcoholism, and civil war (be it a political or physical one).

Add to this that I cannot take any short race seriously, and I would be forced to pick Elves by default.
  • lmaoboatlmaoboat Member Posts: 72
    As if there were even any question.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Battle axe, and horned helm...off i go!
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    The only elves I've ever really found interesting were the drow. Dwarves are awesome though.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Dwarfs!! always cheerful and ready to bash skulls :-)
  • e3r4t5yne3r4t5yn Member Posts: 42
    dwarves even do not possess magic... auxilary clerics or average fighters - the only use of dwarves.

there're not mages among dwarves. thus, they cannot beat even gnomes )

dwarf party may handle only hobbit party, or... may not ;)

dwarves. the secondary race.
    "Never will you see a Dwarf in a chain-mail bikini and I'm very sorry if you have. "

Y'know, @Alderon, I'd actually like to see this! Well... as long as it's not a male dwarf with manboobs wearing said chainmail bikini, that is.
  • AlderonAlderon Member Posts: 53

"Never will you see a Dwarf in a chain-mail bikini and I'm very sorry if you have. "

Y'know, @Alderon, I'd actually like to see this! Well... as long as it's not a male dwarf with manboobs wearing said chainmail bikini, that is.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YrRLK-KRQ_A/T7ZbSRTgz5I/AAAAAAAAC1E/b5ya3Ad5h4U/s1600/7A.jpg
    @Alderon
    Hm... not bad, but not great either. The muscles need to be more chiseled for her to be attractive imho and the absence of the feminite goatee is somewhat disturbing. That lass is not a true dwarven warrior in any case with such a light body build.
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    Whether it`s a dour stonemason or an ale`d up maniac in a suit of armour covered in spikes and sharp edges seeking to dry hump you to death, dwarfs are way cooler than them pointy eared snotty gits wot hide in trees and prance about like a trashy troup of trannies(no offence to cross-dressers of any kind.) . Go stunties!!
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    I don't like to pick, they both serve their functions. What is interesting is that people think they need to stereotype the races....all dwarfs are this and all elfs are that... Try running a corse, short, burly strong elf :D
  • Xar105Xar105 Member Posts: 112
    dwarfs !!! the best companions for drink and fight :P. YYYEAAAAHHHH who want next beer ??, nobody ?? , you are weak. :D
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited August 2012
    Elves. They are the best archers.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I hate elves... they think themselves to be superior. Well, have a kick in your bottom, you "superior" scumbag D:

I don't like dwarves particularly either "nyeeeh, we are the best smiths, nyeeeh!" Well, if a beard and being short is all that it takes you to be smiths then... I probably am the worst smith ever!

If I have to pick, I'd pick dwarves though. Sorry elves, but ya get on mah nerves. *is pulling a "it's not you, it's the game" *
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Elves. Hot and sexy.
    see way i look at it, elves are frail and weak and to make up for it, they've learned to use magic, typicaly tend to be archers, and strike from a distance. i feel like they overcome alot of disadvantages. dwarves on the otherhand, they've never really struck me as changing. like they're stuck in tradition, and i'm not big on tradition.

also, alot of games i've played, the dwarves started a war with the elves and i had to save the elves. talking non dnd here, and i know there's been lots of times where it's the opposite, but in my eyes, seems dwarves are a wee too fond of war.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Personally I picked Elf for 2 reasons:
    1. My first first character I beat BG and BG2 with was an Elf Ranger (Stalker) who used Katanas
    2. I prefer the elven fighting style of finesse and grace. After all as I said in another thread, I treat my paladin as someone who tries to finesse with her greatsword rather than merely applying her brute strength to opponents heads.

However Dwarves do have their own merits.
    1. I always feel wrong if I play a Forgotten Realms game (except BG where kagain or korgain are evil and yeslik comes so late) without a dwarf.
    2. They're still the best characters for Axes and Warhammers.
    3. I still want to play a Dwarf Fighter or Dwarf Fighter/Cleric eventually.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    only elves I really like are the drow they are evil live underground and worship a goddess that demands sacrifices all the time its awesome
  • gfm50gfm50 Member Posts: 124
    I am saying this strictly by BG stats. I like dex > const, so elves. RPing wise though dwarves all the way.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Dwarves. I'm a hammers, axes, and plate mail kinda guy. Plus, Battleragers.

The busty, curvaceous women don't hurt none, either.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I'm none too fond of tall, effete people who think they're better than me. I vote dwarves because they are not elves.

It also boils down to who'd have a better party, Elves or Dwarves.
    Elves: poetry, bright light, ambient harp music, wine.
    Dwarves: shouted conversations, muted lighting, drums and loud singing, beer.
    From my admittedly stereotyped views Dwarves win hands down.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I like both, but Elves just edge out Dwarves for their bow skills.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited August 2012
    I prefer the more graceful elves to the brute force of dwarves. Plus elven females are supposedly quite hot, while dwarven females have beards.
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    Elves of course. Wise, cerebral, open minded, diverse and not all that arrogant unless you have an inferiority complex. Long life and good health.
  • KharasKharas Member Posts: 150
    So on one side we have the treehugging hippies that dance around in the moonlight, recite bad poetry and sing to the moon...

And on the other we have the tough smiths and warriors, running around beating up orcs, goblins and the occasional dragon with a battle axe while in full armor.. drinking beer and singing drinking songs with a scottish accent all the while..

ye.... thats a hard choice....

As my dear dwarf warrior from World of Warcraft are so fond of saying.. "I don't have a drinkin' problem! I drink, I get drunk, I fall down. No problem!"
    @Kharas so, if we were in highschool, and not total geeks, the question would be hippies or rednecks?