Skip to content

There's a lot of clicking to do before you can play

So, first I click on the icon. Then I click "Launch" in the launcher. Then I have to click "Shadows of Amn". Then I have to click to bypass the cinematic. Then I have to click "Continue" on the "new adventures" page. Then I have to click "single player". Then I have to click "Load game" (incidentally on the other side of the screen as well). Then finally I can click "load" and start playing.

Surely there could be a way of going directly into "Load Game"? Or perhaps even a button with "Continue playing" that loads the latest save game.

I've nitpicked about this before, but it's even worse now in BG2EE! Brilliant game otherwise of course :)
SliceofhellcsuzwrorikonelminsterMessikungfuhobbitAristilliusyaballananoagrisronaldoAyiekieTJ_HookerAranthysRastignacmelakonPalanthisAldericEbbotdjcTsyrithenqenqjackjackCenerAkuroParysCrevsDaakTrentFoxingworthThe_New_RomanceReadingRamboShikaoBusticationRedWizardrecklessheartThunderDiscoCatmstrnealJenzafarTurinDJKajurumeaglothLemernisbob_vengSoren_The_Wild

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Must be a result of gaming with pads and touchpads. With a regular mouse those clicks take maybe three seconds.
  • ZordrathZordrath Member Posts: 19
    The Intro doesn't really need to play every time either. Why not just when you start a new game?
    kungfuhobbitethodennietzschelivesCalmar
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    TBH I dont like the one extra menu they added with all the DLC characters, I dont want any of them, and they pop up everytime.
    elminsterkungfuhobbit
  • stargazerbstargazerb Member Posts: 57
    I actually agree...the New Adventures screen isn't necessary. A store button would have sufficed. I hope a future patch removes it.
    elminster
  • Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    enqenq said:

At the very least I don't need to be re-introduced to the new characters every time I start the game :)

That's the biggest problem, I think. There should be a "Never show this again" option to tick.
    But it should also be possible to start the game WITHOUT using the launcher. The launcher is just a handy way to auto-update.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

enqenq said:

At the very least I don't need to be re-introduced to the new characters every time I start the game :)

That's the biggest problem, I think. There should be a "Never show this again" option to tick.
    But it should also be possible to start the game WITHOUT using the launcher. The launcher is just a handy way to auto-update.

I can start the game without using the launcher. I'm on a mac but you should be able to do this on windows.
    TJ_Hooker
  • kungfuhobbitkungfuhobbit Member Posts: 168
    edited November 2013
    @ the devs
    Great work, I love the new '3 options' screen and the individual SOA and TOB ones.
    I understand that the 'New Adventure' characters are an advert for the character DLC for iPad and Overhaul has to make money at the end of the day.
    But if you have *already bought them* ie PC & MAC version, the screen only diminishes our experience :(
    Please, the new refreshed SoA and ToB screens are beautiful - it's a shame attention is shifted away from them.

Are movies skippable with a Program Options setting in baldur.ini?
    here's the old relevant pages:
    http://www.shsforums.net/topic/31246-how-to-disable-intro-movies/
    http://www.gog.com/forum/baldurs_gate_series/how_to_disable_intro_movies

@Arsene_Lupin
    afaik you can bypass launcher with the baldur.exe in 00783 folder
    Post edited by kungfuhobbit on
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    So wait, the PC version already comes with all the new adventures, yet we have to still see them advertised everytime we load the game?
    elminsterbooinyoureyesmeagloth
  • ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    Correct. If I recall correctly, it was said the reason all the new characters (and the extra pictures in BGEE) are separate for the iPad version is to keep the price competitive with other game apps. When all the extras are bought, the total price is approximately equal to what you pay for the PC/Mac version of the game.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    elminster said:

enqenq said:

I can start the game without using the launcher. I'm on a mac but you should be able to do this on windows.
    Yup, I can confirm, it's definitely possible to do this in Windows.
    jackjack
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Agreed, it's getting on my nerves. Please only display that screen every so often if there's anything to buy (Or whenever something new is available), and never, never, never, display it if you already own all of the "buyable" items.
    hansolo
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    I personally am more annoyed with how many clicks it takes to quit the game. 5 or 4 clicks, depending on when you start counting. I don't know, it may just be psychological because when I choose "quit game" I expect the program to end and not "go to main menu".
  • FlowFlow Member Posts: 21
    On mac I have three key commandos for quit:
    1. Q (or make an explicit save)
    2. CMD + Q (you will get a little pop up)
    3. Enter

Done.

I agree that there are right now too many screens/menus to click through to load a saved game.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Worg said:

I personally am more annoyed with how many clicks it takes to quit the game. 5 or 4 clicks, depending on when you start counting. I don't know, it may just be psychological because when I choose "quit game" I expect the program to end and not "go to main menu".

Alt + F4 => Are you sure you want to quit the game ? Boo will miss you => Yes

Easiest way.
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    I only wish I could skip the 4 npc's bio screen
    elminsterjackjackzerckanEudaemonium
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    Zordrath said:

The Intro doesn't really need to play every time either. Why not just when you start a new game?

Or why not just have an option to skip the entire first dungeon/escape sequence and have all note-worthy loot in your inventory and start at the cut scene when you reach the surface? :) I might sound like I am joking, in a small way I am, but in a small way I am sincere as well lol!
  • raquoraquo Member Posts: 22
    Varwulf said:

Zordrath said:

Or why not just have an option to skip the entire first dungeon/escape sequence and have all note-worthy loot in your inventory and start at the cut scene when you reach the surface? :) I might sound like I am joking, in a small way I am, but in a small way I am sincere as well lol!
    There's a mod for that, actually. Don't know if it works with BGII:EE though.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    Having to see the new characters every single time is getting a little annoying. I already have all of them. No need to advertise.
  • djcdjc Member Posts: 76
    I'd like a LoadLatestSave.exe, that would bypass the navigational hell completely.
    TrentFoxingworth
  • SarlyssiaSarlyssia Member Posts: 27
    raquo said:

Varwulf said:

Zordrath said:

There's a mod for that, actually. Don't know if it works with BGII:EE though.
    It does. http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=98&Itemid=79
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    It should be like that sign showing advice for Watcher's Keep when you installed ToB, and you can tell it to don't ever appear again, just, Nevermore.
    booinyoureyesEudaemoniumjackjack
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    Is this thread for real? Am I actually seeing people complain about a few mouse clicks? Don't strain yourselves by replying.
    abacusWanderonCrevsDaakTuth
  • AnotherLifeAnotherLife Member Posts: 115
    1) Create a shortcut directly to baldur.exe
    2) Go to \movies\ and rename INTRO15F.bwm and LOGO.bwm to something else

Half the annoyance solved.
  • djcdjc Member Posts: 76
    I remember Civilization IV having this fine feature, which allowed the players to continue playing the saved game of their choice just by clicking the savegame-file in Windows Explorer. It would be nice to have a similar feature in BG. If an often-used action could be executed by just a one click, why should it have to require more? For nostalgic reasons, because the original, clumsy UI design is holy and should be protected from tinkering of mere mortals? For commercial reasons, because the players could bypass the advertising screen?
    nano
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Shin it takes much less in the iPad version than with the mouse :P I've tested both.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    djc said:

I remember Civilization IV having this fine feature, which allowed the players to continue playing the saved game of their choice just by clicking the savegame-file in Windows Explorer. It would be nice to have a similar feature in BG. If an often-used action could be executed by just a one click, why should it have to require more? For nostalgic reasons, because the original, clumsy UI design is holy and should be protected from tinkering of mere mortals? For commercial reasons, because the players could bypass the advertising screen?

It's the play 60 program for geeks - clicking is perhaps the only exercise they get... ;-)