Skip to content

What class would CHARNAME be, forever an always?

meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
edited November 2013 in Off-Topic
If there was only one playthrough of baldurs gate, what class would CHARNAME be?
I.E. if someone wrote books, or made a movie, :) what class should everybody's favorite bhaalspawn be?
  1. What class would CHARNAME be, forever an always?59 votes
    1. Fighter/barbarian (keep it simple, stupid)
      22.03%
    2. Ranger (I am Aragon, but different!)
        0.00%
    3. Paladin (kill the drow! Because, reasons!)
        5.08%
    4. Druid (there was a garden in candelkeep. Really.)
        1.69%
    5. Mage (chip of the 'ol block)
      23.73%
    6. Cleric (99 problems but a lich ain't one)
        3.39%
    7. Thief (because what of there arnt any good ones later?)
        5.08%
    8. Bard (to battle! Hey look, a pretty flower!)
        8.47%
    9. Sorcerer (Hahahahah, I am become death, destroyer of worlds!)
      27.12%
    10. Monk (technically, there were monks In Candelkeep.)
        3.39%
lolien

Comments

• zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    Necromancer/mage (Hahahahah, I am become death, destroyer of worlds!)
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    well I am greatly enjoying my fighter/thief playthrough.

I hate roleplaying mages too, so no way I would go with that. I leave that to the NPCs
  • ArktosaArktosa Member Posts: 73
    Wild Mage because random things can be pretty usefull. (I have to add cleric to the list because a support is awesome)
  • HenriusMcKnightHenriusMcKnight Member Posts: 6
    Because you always have to keep things simple, but no simpler than that
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    Sorcerer or wild mage. The power of a bhaal spawn is unpredictable and great.
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    Life in such a small secluded area as Candlekeep is basically a life in a monastery and a story of a D&D monk could be quite interesting.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    A miniature giant space hamster.
    CrevsDaakbooinyoureyes
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    Cleric/M-User
    because...spells
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Sorcerer.. I just say.. "Arcane Scholar of Candlekeep" PrC - I know, it's not 3.5, but anyway ;) *^_^*
    booinyoureyes
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Blackguard (kill stuff! Because, reasons!)
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I actually think he's more of a Fighter/Mage Likes to actively kill things but learned magery from his foster father
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    Growing up in a small town where the only entertainment derives from libraries and bars would make CHARNAME well suited to the life of a bard.

However, I think it is easy to justify any class.
    lolien
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Sorcerer they can kill you even before you notice it.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I'm not big on D&D lore, but I just feel like magic users are the most likely to become truly powerful and important, cos u know, they ignore the laws of physics, whilst a strong warrior is just somebody really good with a sword/spear, and is usually reliant on his/her equipment.
  • Lord_GayLord_Gay Member Posts: 94
    Before the Time of Troubles, Bhaal was the patron god of assassins, so that tells you a whole lot right there. When speaking of what class(es) the Lord of Murder would have, you have to consider two things. One, all classes can kill, but what would the QUINTESSENTIAL murderer be like? Two, what would the other gods look like?

1) The quintessential murderer has to be able to massacre on the battlefield, but also be the invisible death in the heart of an impregnable fortress. This means fighter and ninja/assassin levels. Casters have no place here as magic can be blocked or disrupted... death cannot.

2) You need to imagine what all the other gods are like, so there's no overlap.

IMNSHO, the Lord of Murder would be a fighter/assassin.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Specify.

If BG1 only, barbarian.
    If trilogy, skald.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @KidCarnival Good point. The most important part of any story is obviously the finale. In BGEE, you want a melee Bhaalspawn for the epic showdown with Sarevok. However, in BG2, the antagonist is quite different; I think a sorcerer fits great. In ToB it doesn't matter so much, because everyone gets superhuman abilities.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Oozemaster, for semiliquid awesomeness!
    lolien
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    If it's only BG1, my ideal charname is Gannicus from Spartacus. He starts out as a somewhat naive/not giving a damn hothead fighter who is not just talented, but also ridicolously lucky. He possibly trained with the guards, who - with little else to do in a library - maybe had a friendly "fight club" style tournament in the basement, with summons or each other to spare and bet a coin on. That's where charname started. Then, he "wins his freedom" in a rather tragic way and is a bit lost, but learns his way to live outside his known enviroment. Based on Gannicus, that makes him a charismatic, neutral good (knows his place AND what he can get away with) dual-wielding (long swords) fighter in light armor who becomes a beast no-one really expects at first sight when it counts. During his travels, he learns about himself and becomes wiser (from the happy go lucky fool to 3 wisdom tomes wiser). Yes, I plan a Spartacus inspired run one day. Considering BG1 and the development of Gannicus in the entire series, it fits perfectly, imo.

In BG2, the prohibition of arcane magic plays a role, so it would be more interesting to watch a caster (sense of main character in danger). I'd either go with Blade or Skald (and tell Hollywood just "bard", so they don't switch Sarevok or Irenicus out for Loki or something).
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    Have not finished either game yet... if only I spent less time on the forums. In eob I always played thief/cleric like Friar Tuck from robin hood in touch with what is heavenly both on heaven and earth.

FRIAR TUCK
    The're monks. They take an oath of poverty.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    i'd say mage, he is Gorion's ward after all
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Most obviously the CHARNAME is a mummified Gnome of some description...
    KidCarnivallolien
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I think a lot of people may not be understanding the question. For a good book or movie, this story is a Hero's Journey. With very few exceptions, the Hero in epic literature is some kind of warrior. Fighter/mage is often done as well.

The story of BG is basically a variation on the epic god child myth, like Thor and Odin, or like Hercules and Zeus. The interesting twist for the BG story is that the divine parent is pure evil.

Anyway, my vote is that the definitive BG Hero should be either fighter or fighter/mage. Personally, I prefer the fighter/mage as the more interesting and fun to watch/read Hero, as in, for example, Eddings' Belgariad, or in Star Wars.
    KidCarnival
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    (slight spoiling)

Dual it baby... As soon as h/she encounters the Thieves of Amn ? And to merge the storyline of the sister... Or and or , when encountering shocking site of Underworld , for survival... Though , to blend among Drow more efficiently , she can dual to Cleric. If it is a he , then he would dual to a mage may be , when he passes feinting to hell , too weak to continue fighting... But hell level should be bigger in this case , and with Edwin( :) ) 's help...
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    edited November 2013
    There are many examples of the Hero's journey that have nothing to do with being a warrior. I feel the hero's journey is much more compelling when the hero is decidedly not a warrior. In its heart, the hero's journey is a myth representing the journey we all must take in our lives. It loses most of its relevance if it too far removed from the average person.

Certainly there is an abundance of heroic literature depicting super-human feats, but there is also a tradition of the reluctant hero that has much more impact, imo. This is the journey he/she did not want to take, but the hero must persevere, reach farther to accomplish the task. Both examples exist in literature, but I find the latter more engrossing.
    Post edited by JLee on
    lolien
  • KhemrikharaKhemrikhara Member Posts: 14
    I like to consider the canon party when thinking about this;
    You have
    2 front liners in Minsc and Khalid
    A thief in Imoen (dualing to a mage at some point)
    A healer in Jahiera
    A mage in Dynaheir
    Which leaves a gap in ranged damage, as far as I see it.
    There is a cleric or bard missing, but I cannot see the child of bhaal being either of those classes, which leaves me with perhaps an archer or a mage. I picked mage as a personal favourite :P