Skip to content

A "guide" to Jan Jansen

CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
Well, first, I write like jan speaks, so if you find him irritating, you'll find me a lot more irritating through.
And, you know, second, many think of Jan just as a mad Gnomish idiot, but I think he is the most hilarious, and not to say, you see, that he is very over powered, he creates a powerful ammo that stuns enemies, and also he is an Illusionist.
The best crossbow you can get for him in the game is Firetooth+4 (and the +5 :D), well, but a Light Crossbow of Speed (The Army Scythe) will go very well with his special stun ammo, you know, he can become death, destroyer of... No, he won't have many kills at the end of ToB, he stuns your enemies so, your tanks can deal easy damage to them.
Then he has banters with all the NPCs, and they are VERY funny, sometimes you want to hung him from a rope, but sometimes all you want to do with him is give him a hug.
I really recommend taking him, I took him besides CHARNAME was a Mage/Thief like him (but had 19 Dex, 19 Int, power gaming you know), but maybe you prefer creating a Fighter class CHARNAME and took him for your run.
His starting equipment is very good, especially because they make him very overpowered in comparison with other NPC's starting equipment (*ahem* Anomen *ahem* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* he comes from a rich family and only has a +1 shield *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough*), and the spells he has aren't so bad after all (*ahem* Nalia *ahem* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* she does not have Fireball (nor Sunfire) and you'll have to kill trolls (but she has Cloudkill) *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *dies of cough*)
Well, I can say he is worth (the effort of trying *shut up, you inner Xan!*) the party-slot, maybe take him only one timem but be sure to do it before you die.
Also, he helps you in Spellhold, answering a question with another question, but about turnips.
Another thing, he is MAD for turnips (no, he really does).
laptopman666FredjoAristilliusbooinyoureyesBlackraven

Comments

• laptopman666laptopman666 Member Posts: 283
    Jan is the best, but trying to write an accurate guide on him seems impossible XD
    CrevsDaak
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    Jan is definitely not so mad as he pretends to be. He knows very well what he is saying and his stories are tailor-made to mock and lampoon specific NPC and their vices. He is not purposelessly babbling (but he wants to make the impression of babbling, incoherent idiot), at least not always.
    CrevsDaak
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    So many *coughs*...my eyes, they burn!
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @elminster you'll HAVE to say that thing about the Light Crossbow of Speed and his stun ammo, it is crucial for SoA :D And it will be a nice thing for noobs to know.
    elminster
    I will be covering as much as I can in the guide. There is a word limit but I will mention the usefulness of his special ammo in my BG2EE NPC Guide.
    CrevsDaak
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    I really wish some of the NPC's special equipment could be upgraded to remain competitive well into TOB.
    Aristilliusbooinyoureyes
    Edwin said:

I really wish some of the NPC's special equipment could be upgraded to remain competitive well into TOB.

His armor gives 25% resistance to all the types of physical damage, that plus Hardiness plus UAI and DoE, :D You can take 24 hits from Abazigal and still with more than 50% Hit Points.

• EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    @CrevsDaak

I like Jan's equipment in general and he is one of my fave NPC's. Other's armor and weapons don't fare as well as Jan's armor. The Flasher Master doesn't keep up later on (though not the ammo which is awesome).

I just have this unrealistically romantic notion of all the characters with special armor and weapons being able to use them throughout without being overshadowed my the other powerful artifacts within the game.

"Take that, turnip-hatin' scum!"
    CrevsDaakelminster
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited November 2013
    I have an animated magical pet turnip in WoW that can do petbattles. I named it "Jan Jansen", in tribute. ;)
    CrevsDaakEdwin
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477

I have an animated magical pet turnip in WoW that can do petbattles. I named it "Jan Jansen", in tribute. ;)

Can you really get a pet turnip in WoW? I wouldn't be that surprised, but it's still hard to believe.
    elminster
    edited November 2013
    CrevsDaak said:

Edwin said:

His armor gives 25% resistance to all the types of physical damage, that plus Hardiness plus UAI and DoE, :D You can take 24 hits from Abazigal and still with more than 50% Hit Points.

Hardiness with Jan? I don't think so!
    edited November 2013
    @elminster not with him, with my F/T :D:D And UAI.
    elminsterlolien
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    We needs a chat-room , or a forum without post-editing options , as it per gets fuzzy on the getting line of brain , who actually said what :)
    CrevsDaak
    I intend to keep it this way for some time , so no hard-feelings.. :)
  • AN_ALPACA_WADAFUKAN_ALPACA_WADAFUK Member Posts: 29
    isnt the entire point of anomens story arc and the basic foundation of his character that his family is not rich as his father drank through all of his cash

isnt the entire point of anomens story arc and the basic foundation of his character that his family is not rich as his father drank through all of his cash

Well ,

I ctrl+F'd anomen in case I missed something , but found no relation other than 1 word of "slight comparison". So , this I thought I lose the crown for the day..

But no...

How "irrelevant" echo you might add , the off-topic khan still here , at least for some time yes , until my sons poison me...

Well, yes, but coming from a rich family means that you have weapons from other ages (FoA, Valugar's Katana and Armor, Yoshimo's Katana, Nalia's Ring, etc) or new powerful magical items.