Skip to content

Is there anyone else who hasn't bought it yet?

This forum is obviously full of people who would most likely buy it, but are there anyone who didn't buy it yet? I didn't buy it yet, and I want to see the reasonings of other people who didn't as well.

Aside from the NPC / New Areas, I don't really have a big incentive to drop $25 (some other people might consider this amount 'little'. As for me, I have a ton of student debt, and I don't need to drop $20, $40 which add up QUICK)
I love how the new UI looks, don't give a damn about Black Pits, really glad they added quality NPCs, but what else is there?

Looking at complaints and other websites (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/258273-baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn/67844725 btw, I didn't post in that thread, there also seems to be game-breaking bugs at the moment: re-load = disappeared enemies)

The originals with patches were incredibly incredibly stable, but 2EE should be forgiven because it just came out.

The one huge thing I had hopes were for, were the developers fixing the kit problems "shapeshifter bugs, grandmastery bugs" or new kits, or HLAs, or at least higher level support for the kits they made in 1EE like Dragon Disciple and Sun Soul Monk

Obviously I'm a HUGE fan of the BG series but what incentives are there for veterans like me to purchase it? To those of you who HAVE bought it, what do you think the game did that really set itself apart from the originals?

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I'm a huge BG2 fan, but given the shaky history of BG1:EE I'm taking it slow and waiting for a patch or two before I buy BG2:EE. I've waited over ten years, I can wait a few months longer.
    ghostowlguston
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I definitely wouldn't want to belittle anyone's personal economy by assuming $25 is a pittance for every single person. I guess that kind of reaction stems from looking at modern gaming from a larger perspective: you see deals like this one and you feel little doubt that a lot of people will happily line up to shell out that kind of money.

That's something I wouldn't do (though I'm sure AC4 is great), but as BG is my favourite game series of all time, I don't think twice about my $25 in this case.
    elminsterEnterHaerDalisRnRClown
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    @Shin I agree, $25 might seem like scrap to someone else but it matters to me. Call me cheap but I've went on enough spending sprees to realize that spending a lot of money on little stuff adds up fast. Props to you for your decision, however
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited November 2013
    I haven't bought it because I don't have time to play it yet. I have other games to get through, and I still have a few games I have to finish in BGEE. The $25 isn't an issue, but I don't see any point in buying it if I'm not going to play it yet.
    Illustair
  • JnnJnn Member Posts: 34
    Cardinal rule of pc gaming: never buy games on their launch day.

Havent acquired bg2:ee yet. Bought bg1ee just few days ago when i was finaly sure it and its mods were as bug free as possible.

Im most definitely going to buy it. Just finishing bg1ee before i do and giving them time to patch any, if there are such, serious bugs.
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    I wait till it will be relatively bug free and my favorite mods will be compatible (if ever). I´m still waiting with regard to BG1 EE. I will not play without BG1 NPC mod.
    Erg
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    I bought it on release and there are too many game breaking bugs. BGT / Tutu still work a lot better.
    Erg
  • SliceofhellSliceofhell Member Posts: 85
    We all paid Beamdog $25 to sign up for beta test.
    Erg
  • RadwulfRadwulf Member Posts: 49
    Price given expected improvements.

Lack of adequate multi-platform support.

Bugs.

Mod support.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I haven't bought BG2EE as I haven't even played BGEE yet. I bought BGEE in the pre-sale and I do not regret that, but this year has been about waiting for bugs to get fixed, mods to get updated (still waiting for one of the most crucial ones - npc1project - and scs for bgee has just this week come out of beta).

In the meantime, not being very much driven to finish my old Tutu campaigns, my attention has moved to all the other games I have. Rediscovered the fun of FPS-games and discovered I can deal with linearity after all ( plus story-driven FPS's take much less time to finish than an RPG, which is nice with a huge backlog).

I'm sure I'll return to BG one day and try out BG2EE, but I have the patience to wait for the time it will surely be on a sale. I've never spent more than €19,- on a game and don't intend do. I don't see added value in buying a game when it's fresh. Fresh means bugged and fresh means less online help and walkthroughs available if you get stuck and for games like BG, fresh means less mods available.

But meanwhile, I'm kept busy by Dragon Age:Origins and Awakenings, Fallout 3, Battlefield 3, some Medal of Honor games, Titan Quest, Classic Adventures for BG2 (vanilla), Imperium Romanum. Lots of other games to keep me busy till BG2EE is more bugfree, on sale and there's more mods compatible with it.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Exactly the reason of @Awong124. It's frustrating that I can't help myself but check out threads with spoilers, even those in spoiler tags. My curiosity is my weakness.
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    It's taking all my willpower not to buy BG2:EE right now.

I bought BG:EE as soon as it was on Steam, and I bought it on iPad 1 (it's unplayable on iPad 1, but we were warned that might be the case). Then I bought a decent Android tablet, it was after all a couple years since the iPad 1 had come out, and it was showing it's age (lots of apps wouldn't even allow installation on iPad 1). Hey, Android was Coming Soon!.

Now we're a year later, and still no Android BG:EE.

I'm not buying BG2:EE until Android BG:EE and BG2:EE are available. Then I'll get those, and BG2:EE on PC to further support the devs efforts. But I am really disappointed it has taken so long to get an Android version out, and this is really the only way I can express that disappointment adequately without resorting to spewing bile on the forums (which doesn't really help anyone). Allowing for the stop-work due to legal issues, even 6 months is really pushing the bounds of acceptability.

So, hurry up Overhaul, $75+ sitting here in my bank account waiting for you! ;)
    IllustairMalbortus
  • sersafirsersafir Member Posts: 126
    I'm not getting it until bugfixes, mods, and it goes on sale.
  • AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    Broke, Pre-Ordered it, don't regret it for a second, having a blast!
    elminsterjackjackIllustair
  • shrekdjshrekdj Member Posts: 50
    I would like to say that BG2:EE is still buggy and not completely stable with frequent CTD's.
    I don't regret buying it, in fact it's awesome, looks good and more content to burn the extra time.
    But my only request is don't stop the support in fixing some nagging issues and constant patches importantly update the game with more features, tweaks and changes expressed by fans on regular basis.

For example:

Enemies still do not use doors to follow the party and just stick around till the line of sight takes them before the door blocks it and thats it!..They should access every pathway possible without tracking back or stick around for easy cheese tactics.
    It's just stupid and my only reason to buy BG2:EE is to see some major improvements over such annoying details. Once you shut the door enemies dont even try to open and keep the watch as long as the Party is within the hearing distance.
    I don't understand why is this still not implemented?
    This is just one of many things that I have noticed in the gameworld not given any change considering so much time has passed out since original release.
  • riyahhassettriyahhassett Member Posts: 59
    I'm waiting for the ipad version.
    Delvarian
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited November 2013
    I am of the opinion that a game such as this should be able to sell itself, without needing to ask what the benefits are. At least to people who have played the original, it should be even easier for people who have yet to decide whether or not to play the series at all. However, money is of course an issue; it's a valid point regardless of the game.

Whenever I think about buying a new game, I tend to think about the experiences I've had in the past—assuming, of course, it's not the first game in a series, in which case I would look at other games made by that developer. My experience with the original games made getting the Enhanced Editions an easy buy. My experience with the developers behind it, disregarding their nametag (Beamdog), also made it an easy sale; some worked on the original.

There are bugs, absolutely. However, I would be quick to point out just about any modern game when the word 'bug' crops up. I can't even count the number of games, even on consoles (The Last of Us, for example), that have no bugs whatsoever; I cannot think of a single one in the last five years that has been flawless and bug-free. Where console games were once tested, re-tested, and tested again by a team of around 20-50 paid individuals, those games turned out almost flawless. Playstation and Nintendo64 games, for example. These days, however, games are more complex, but aside from that there is also easier access to them. Where people can download games, patches, DLC, there's no real rule that says everything has to be perfect for launch. On old consoles, everything had to be perfect, there was no patching process. If you found a bug and it affected a large enough group of people and the developer said they would fix it, it usually meant going out and ordering a new copy of the game with the most up-to-date box code. An example of this is that most people at the time didn't even realise that the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was patched twice and re-released.

In my experience with the public release of BG2:EE, I have yet to experience any crashes—even running it all day and putting my laptop into standby during the night. I have yet to actually play it past the starting cinematic, though, but my character is complaining about standing around. I left it there to test out the memory leak that was talked about in another thread, and so far haven't been able to detect anything untoward. I'm also running Intel, and I am delighted that the Intel rendering issue has been fixed. There is one glaring issue for me, and no one else seems to have reported it, with leaves me a little unsettled; but it is already being looked at.

In comparison, during the last two weeks I kept going back to the original game. Every time I started it up to check something, I would cringe. I cannot stand the low resolution anymore, I'm spoiled on the Enhanced Edition; part of the reason is the pixellation at low resolution, the other part is if the resolution is set too high the text is too small to read (my eyesight is not as good as it used to be). In the original, you could turn up the resolution, but that just made everything smaller and created a padded border around the menus. BG[2]:EE actually increases the resolution, the size of the text and icons, etc., to match. To me, that alone is worth it.

The Enhanced Editions, for me at least, are a huge improvement over the originals. Even with the bugs they currently have left to iron out.
    mch202
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I can of course only speak for myself, but I'd like to stress that I'm not *refusing* to buy a product because of bugs and flaws; I'm simply delaying my purchase until the most glaring ones have been fixed. This isn't exclusive to Beamdog, I do it for all my PC games. I rarely if ever get a game on launch, simply because (as was pointed out) it's almost never shipped bug-free. That's fine, I understand that this is the result of a reasonable QA process; but it also has consequences for me and my buying behavior. I'm in no hurry, and I'd rather wait for a product of better quality.
    shrekdj
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    ghostowl said:

@Shin I agree, $25 might seem like scrap to someone else but it matters to me. Call me cheap but I've went on enough spending sprees to realize that spending a lot of money on little stuff adds up fast. Props to you for your decision, however

Shin's point was not that he thought 25 dollars was "crap," but that it's a hell of a lot cheaper than most gaming options these days.
    CrevsDaak
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    Didn't buy it on release day, but that's because I only ever did that once (Dragon Age 2), and learned never to do it again. Got it Saturday.

Am quite happy. Hating on people for pointing out $25 is reasonable....I know about money being tight. I've been there. It's a question of what matters to you. If you want the game, you'll buy it.
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    Didn't buy it yet, being still at school I don't really have time to play any game, and i still have a few games left to play before it really becomes worth it.
    I plan on playing through the whole game in a few days only for my first playthrough, so it will mean a few days without studying, which i probably won't be abble to do before christmass.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I play on iPad mostly, so waiting for that. Though it's tough not buying it for PC now.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I really want it but if I spend money on it I'll have to play it and if I play it no work will be done :) I'm going to hold off for now and pretend I'm being productive by spending time on the forums instead of playing.

Financially I'm in the same boat as @ghostowl too, $25 here and there adds up and I still have games I've purchased that I haven't played. So I'm trying to exercise some self-control with regards to money.
    TJ_Hooker
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    I don't even have BG1: EE yet. I discovered the world of Baldur's Gate a few months before EE was released. It took me a while to get through the entire saga, (the replay it again and again) so I had little need for it.

I will probably get BG1: EE for myself this Christmas. The possibility of having two wild mages on a team excites and frightens me.
    Illustair
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    I didn't buy BG2EE, because I actually regret preordering BGEE. That was really a big mistake on my part, one that I will not repeat.

In fact after almost a year I find myself still enjoying much more BG1Tutu because it has less bugs and more mods.

Besides, BG1tutu, with the right mods, look nice on the native resolution of my laptop (1600x900) and I can read the text just fine. See for yourself:

About BG2EE, I'm appalled that the bug causing the disappearance of spawns on reload is still present. It clearly shows that BG2EE was released too early, so I will wait at least a dozen patches in the next few years before even considering a purchase.
    shrekdj
  • FrancescoTFrancescoT Member Posts: 17
    I've preorder BG:EE and almost a year later, after the 1.2 patch, I still found a lot of irritating bug (Journal above all). I really want to be able to finish BG:EE without bugs before buying BG2:EE.

Anyway, I paid to be a beta tester for all the last year for BG:EE, I will not do the same for BG2:EE..
    Ergshrekdj
  • shrekdjshrekdj Member Posts: 50
    Erg said:

I didn't buy BG2EE, because I actually regret preordering BGEE. That was really a big mistake on my part, one that I will not repeat.

In fact after almost a year I find myself still enjoying much more BG1Tutu because it has less bugs and more mods.

Besides, BG1tutu, with the right mods, look nice on the native resolution of my laptop (1600x900) and I can read the text just fine. See for yourself:

About BG2EE, I'm appalled that the bug causing the disappearance of spawns on reload is still present. It clearly shows that BG2EE was released too early, so I will wait at least a dozen patches in the next few years before even considering a purchase.

This.
    I did not pre-order BG:EE and waited almost a year except now with the game BG2:EE release.
    The fact that Developers have involved many Modders part of their bug fix team convinced me that this time the situation is not like BG:EE. Unfortunately bugs are there and what's really annoying about BG2:EE is that the old bugs are showing up which were already fixed by the modders in BG2 Fixpacks.
    I was like shocked that despite the involvement of an effective Team the game still presents age old bugs here and there.
    Although these bugs are not big number as previous BG:EE release but still they should have used the time to give a significant bug free release.
    Anyways, the enhancements are worth the praise but the early these issues get resolved the better for us.
    I am really missing my original modded bug free GOG BG2 game that runs equally better, if not as enhanced as BG2:EE.
    Hopefully we don't have to wait too long!
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    am I the only one on this forum who thinks everyone is way overreacting to bugs in these games....
    and there's ALWAYS day one issues with ANY game. Just be patient and wait it out.
    CrevsDaaklolien