Skip to content

Elves vs Dwarves

Comments

• KharasKharas Member Posts: 150
    @Bjjorick So a highschool experience without being a geek... this experience is so far from my real life experience that I am unable to relate to it...

hmmm.. I think I would end up as a drunk hippie singing songs about trees in a scottish accent....
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    Kharas said:

So on one side we have the treehugging hippies that dance around in the moonlight, recite bad poetry and sing to the moon...

And on the other we have the tough smiths and warriors, running around beating up orcs, goblins and the occasional dragon with a battle axe while in full armor.. drinking beer and singing drinking songs with a scottish accent all the while..

On one hand we have boorish, drunken oafs with fake scottish accents that dig and yell all day...

On the other hand we have enlightened scholars and warriors, running around beating up orcs (yes, elves do it too), goblins and the occasional dragon with well made magically augmented swords, bows arcane masteries... drinking wine and singing songs with fair voices all the while...

Skewed presentations ftw.

• DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    edited August 2012
    It depends. I will restrain from picking one.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    @jean_luc awesome name btw, i miss my TNG everyweek, and watching the dvd's don't have the same effect. But while i prefer elves, you have to admit, they are known for being a bit stuck up, even if it's just a combo of being slow to trust with a very long life span. And meticioulous, like a spoiled princess. You would never see an elf enjoying a moment of just playing in the mud. Dwarfs are a bit more relatable, like the old drunk, but i still think prefer elves. They're more attuned to magic, which is one of the biggest draw factors in dnd for me.

ehh, won't rant further, but neither is perfect, both are as flawed as humans, which is why i love both :)
    I really should have put a few more points into the "Internet sarcasm" skill :/

@Jean_Luc By error I made a slightly skewed presentation of 2 fantasy races on a forum.. I hope you will find it in your heart to forgive me for this, clearly personal, insult I have throw your way!
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    These 2 races have about the same importance to me, I choose elf for details really, but I would never have only elves in my party...
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    If it was sarcasm you wouldn't have voted for dwarves. What you actually meant to say was that it's a silly fantasy thing that one shouldn't get worked up over. There's nothing really to offer forgiveness over. There was no insult, I just get annoyed when objectivity gets flushed down the drain. Sorry.
    edited August 2012
    Fair enough.. the whole point about being annoyed over who prefer one of 2 fictional races, in a fictional universe... it struck me at taking the whole thing abit to serious.

I do also like elfs alot for a variety of different reasons.. But since dwarfs are my favorite, for a number of other reasons, I decided to vote for them and have a little fun with my explanation :)
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    Elves for me
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Dwarves. Always dwarves.
    Impossible to kill, wise, patient, ordered, dependable, honest, grudgebearing, immovable like the mountain, hard as the stone they're made from. Crafters of the finest weapons and armour, builders of the finest buildings and mines. Elves may be the best archers, but it'll take a lot of arrows to bring down a dwarf, but one swing from their battlehammer and any elf will go down like a sack of potatoes.

Always dwarves.

Also, fine women;
    http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj155/Reaganstorme/Motivators/MotivatorBabyGotBeard.jpg

Awwww yeeeeah.
  • wissenschaftwissenschaft Member Posts: 229
    I love rangers so that naturally makes me favor elves.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Drugar yes but the catch for the dwarf is hitting said elf with their battlehamer/axe. Many elves use finesse based combat styles, including longswords (which at least as of 3E elves were allowed to finesse although others aren't), or dual wielding. Upon seeing you coming the good warrior (of any race) would throw down their bow in favor of their melee weapons and styles.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I always have at least one dwarf and one elf in the party. It wouldn't feel like the true lord of the rings party without both. I had to pick elves though because:
    1. Everyone I know says I look like one
    2. They're VERY long lived
    3. They can be mages where dwarves can't.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Why can't i choose both? >_< /scratches head furiously unable to decide
  • Jedi_GnomeJedi_Gnome Member Posts: 92
    Neither! It's gnomes for me! They're more clever than either elves or dwarves!
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I'd probably rather have a dwarf in my party for tankage. But I'd probably have more interesting conversation with an elf. As I'd be more interested in lore, how magic works, and so forth, I guess I'd say elf.
  • taletotelltaletotell Member Posts: 74
    BG needs a good dwarf.
  • taletotelltaletotell Member Posts: 74
    @ Jean-Luc: Open minded?
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    It's like Gimli vs Legolas all over again.
    wait, we're not talking about lord of the rings? man, the elf girl in that movie was hot, i never understood why the guys traveling with her wasn't hitting on her all the time. Strange world indeed.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Which ever I am currently playing, I want to play the other.
    @moomintroll sound like when when trying to decide on a final fantasy game.
    @Bjjorick I've never played any FF game, choice isn't always a good thing I guess.
    @moomintroll they're more mindless fun, or a good book with combat sequences, plus alot of late game quests. Like going back and killing 10 of every enemy with capture weapons, or leveling up the point where the final boss is no longer a threat and barely a challenge just to fight some overpowered super weapons, or finding a lot of crazy overpowered items that break the game.

outside of combat, choice in final fantasy is just a matter of if you see a certain cutscene or not, one that you could easily look up on youtube. but i enjoy them for some very strange reason.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    I like elf butts and I can not lie...

I play Elves in fantasy like I play Vulcanoids in Star Trek. I might just like the pointy ears...
    edited August 2012
    @Bjjorick Three things have put me off.
    -I really dislike how it looks, the art.
    -I saw a friend playing it back in the day, it looked like you control one guy running around and then when you fight, a load of people jump out of your pockets to help you.
    -My housemate recently got one of the newer ones, he was telling me (with different words) that he had a load of grinding to do, which I had enough of in WoW, it didn't make sense to me in a single player game.
    @moomintroll oddly, i found the grinding much more satisfying in single player then mmo's. Ultima online was an exception, but then, it was an exception to most of the standard mmo rules.

Yeah the art on the newer games are horrible. If you're only to try one game, make it final fantay 2/4 for the super nintendo. at the time, finalfantasy 2 and 3 weren't released in america due to them failing to understand the american audience. so part 4 was released as part 2 back in the 90's to make it look like that was the next game in the series.

on snes, it's called final fantasy 2, on gameboy and nds release, it has it's proper name of final fantasy 4. On playstation 1, it's part of the final fantasy/chrono trigger disk.

If you ever decide to try it, try part 2 for the snes. If you do not like that game, then i truely feel that you won't like any of them.
  • happslapphappslapp Member Posts: 53
    i went elf but i usually play half-elf. Still counts right
  • deserkdeserk Member Posts: 35
    I like elves, but I find dwarves always fun to play.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    Jean_Luc said:

Elves of course. Wise, cerebral, open minded, diverse and not all that arrogant unless you have an inferiority complex. Long life and good health.

Umm Most of the Elves in the D&D universe are FAR from open minded, instead they are a closed and insular society and rather Snooty to boot.