Skip to content

BG2:EE worth it?

So for all of the people that have already bought and started playing BG2:EE is it worth it to you? Or are the amount of already-foreseen bugs a bit of a buzzkill?

Comments

• ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    edited November 2013
    100% worth every penny :)
    Edit: Also I've encountered very few bugs so far and the ones I have encountered are very, very minor ones.
    byrne20JuliusBorisov
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Oh most definitely. Easily woth $20 bucks.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Is the air worth breathing?

Yes it is.
    Arcalian
  • mackosmackos Member Posts: 188
    edited November 2013
    @Wilbur
    Even polluted air is worth breathing.
    Even bugged BG is worth buying and playing
    Post edited by mackos on
    Arcalian
  • AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    Yes, 1000000000000000000% Yes!!!
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    Only if your happy losing Hundreds of hours of your life to this awesome game!
    Wilbur[Deleted User]Klorox
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Definitely worth it. I've encountered only one bug and I hardly think a missing kit description for a kit that wasn't even in the original is worth me getting worked up about.
  • RazaDelromRazaDelrom Member Posts: 149
    Since they spiced the game with much new content in form of items, quests, NPCs... it's like a new game, because you actually want to look for the new stuff, and the new stuff changes the way you play the game.
    Arcalian
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited November 2013
    Absolutely worth it. The few bugs aren't enough to mar the overall experience imho. The new content is generally both challenging and well-written too - and there's quite a bit of it :)
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    In a word, yes.

I haven't found any bugs yet (famous last words, those).

I'm currently very intrigued by that new bouncer standing in front of a door at Waukeen's Promenade. He won't let me in. And he won't even talk about it. Some guy...
  • TschakongTschakong Member Posts: 25
    Absolutely worth it. Is there a game with a better story than BG2? i don't know one ;) So halleluja to the revival of my all time favorite game.

Good:
    - interface
    - mod friendly
    - new NPC's
    - performance

Neutral:
    - Black Pits, because they are not integrated into the story - so i just don't play it
    - missing localization (for native speaking ppls really a KO criteria)

The bad:
    - not all existing mods are compatible, but that's all a matter of time. So not really bad for me.

I hope in the future i can see great DLC story stuff that is worth to buy it. For such a small studio they did a terrific job!

• RazaDelromRazaDelrom Member Posts: 149

In a word, yes.

I haven't found any bugs yet (famous last words, those).

I'm currently very intrigued by that new bouncer standing in front of a door at Waukeen's Promenade. He won't let me in. And he won't even talk about it. Some guy...

hehe, I already thought about what will happen if you gift him at night with a hex backstab. Oh well better not, maybe I will find the quest for it soon.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited November 2013
    WALL OF TEXT INCOMING, BEWARE!
    elminster said:

Having played BGEE and BG2EE I have no plans on going back to the original of either game.

I wish i could say the same, but there will never be mod support for something like Infinity Animations, or the equivalent.

For those who don't know, it's the way to use BG1 animations for your character for BG2.

If they put in the code that is missing to support it, they will break tons of other stuff, so it's unlikely they will ever attempt it.

So basically, i'm screwed in this department, since the enhanced editions took something from me, they can never give back, no matter what they add.

I can't have new or improved character sprites either, which was the no1 important thing for me, so there, you have it.

BG2EE feels a lot more professional in how bugs were treated, i like a lot the new areas( VERY good artistic work ), and the new NPCs are very nicely written, so, whatever they did this time in enhancing, they did good.

BUT, since it sucks to be me, i can't have the mod support that was indespensable for me in order to really enjoy the game.

Also, i have to say that the game, although it has some nice additions, has some flaws that i can't look past. I will list what i didn't like and what i did like, and my conclusion in the end.

BG2:EE

The GOOD :

- Few bugs, compared to BG:EE it is an oasis.

- Very nicely written NPCs, and quests that they bring, they are even better than in BG:EE.

- Very nicely designed new areas, plus the original area renders, although not glaringly better, have better colors.

- Nice improvements to the UI, and to ease of use stuff, like the loot window. Full screen mode and non-scalable UI is also a very big plus.

The BAD :

- Nothing new in character art( except 1pp shields that was already done for BG:EE ). The sprites were not improved in any way. For whatever reasons, these are not important now.

- Although the areas look better, the pixelation of the sprites is now visible even in max away zoom. Unfortunetely, even Amnish Soldiers have more detailed animated sprites than the player characters, and with the better backrounds, if your eye is trained, it shows.

- The portraits and voice sets of BG:EE, did not carry over to BG2:EE, which makes BG2:EE having 0 new voices for the player, and 3 new portraits for male and female each. The portraits also are not as good as BG:EE's in my opinion, but that is subjective.

- No new kits, no new spells(except 2 abilities for Shadowdancers) for PCs, and no new races-subraces. Basically nothing new. Everything was done from BG:EE.

- No mod support. Well, at the beginning, it's obvious, but as i said before, there will NEVER be mod support for Infinity Animations or something like it. It's been over a year, i have grown to accept it as a fact, but that doesn't mean i like it.

So, for someone like me, BG2:EE, is nice, whatever it brings is professionally and well made( well done for that! ), but it severely lacks some things, and it also takes something away that it cannot give back.

We don't have new sprites for our characters, although the new areas are splendidly made, and for me, unfortunetely, i can't have my BG1 vanilla sprites either, which was my no1 alternative to save the day. I won't be able to enjoy the game at 100%, i'm aware of that, call me hollow if you wish, but the fact remains that the game cannot offer mod support for that.

My feelings are mixed, and i will say concluding, that BG2:EE is nice, because BG2 is nice. The additions are nicely made, especially the NPCs, but the lack of character art and specific mod support kinda ruins it.

Cheers.

P.S. @Beamdog, are you finally considering doing something about the sprites, now that the second game is finally available?
    elminsterStarflower2525
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited November 2013
    It isn't worth IMHO, at least not yet, unless you like chasing non-existent foes in empty dungeons:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23771/bg2ee-quick-load-enemies-disappear

There are several other reasons why I'm not buying BG2EE, but the one above just made the top of my list.

Edit: fixed link to point to merged discussion (N.B. the bug affects also regular load, not just quickload)
    Post edited by Erg on
    Milo
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Most definitely worth it but make sure your hardware can run the game without ridiculous FPS drops. You need a pretty good PC.

the posted system requirements are incorrect in terms of running the game smoothly

I hope nobody has to go through what I am going through. So much hype and nostalgic excitement for this game and the FPS drops to like 5 at random and in every fight.
    elminsterWandering_Minstrel
  • MiloMilo Member Posts: 59
    In time BG2EE will be the definitive version of the game much like BGEE is now.

I pre-ordered and poked around a bit on Thursday night but I haven't played it since other than to test some portraits/voicesets.

The disappearing enemies bug is enough to put me off playing the game until it's fixed. I can't believe that was missed in testing considering that issue plagued BGEE for a year. Rather, I think the problem was simply ignored to get the game out the door.
    Ergmch202
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2013
    Mornmagor said:

WALL OF TEXT INCOMING, BEWARE!

elminster said:

Having played BGEE and BG2EE I have no plans on going back to the original of either game.

I wish i could say the same, but there will never be mod support for something like Infinity Animations, or the equivalent.

For those who don't know, it's the way to use BG1 animations for your character for BG2.

If they put in the code that is missing to support it, they will break tons of other stuff, so it's unlikely they will ever attempt it.

- Nothing new in character art( except 1pp shields that was already done for BG:EE ). The sprites were not improved in any way. For whatever reasons, these are not important now.

- Although the areas look better, the pixelation of the sprites is now visible even in max away zoom. Unfortunetely, even Amnish Soldiers have more detailed animated sprites than the player characters, and with the better backrounds, if your eye is trained, it shows.

- The portraits and voice sets of BG:EE, did not carry over to BG2:EE, which makes BG2:EE having 0 new voices for the player, and 3 new portraits for male and female each. The portraits also are not as good as BG:EE's in my opinion, but that is subjective.

- No mod support. Well, at the beginning, it's obvious, but as i said before, there will NEVER be mod support for Infinity Animations or something like it. It's been over a year, i have grown to accept it as a fact, but that doesn't mean i like it.

So, for someone like me, BG2:EE, is nice, whatever it brings is professionally and well made( well done for that! ), but it severely lacks some things, and it also takes something away that it cannot give back.

We don't have new sprites for our characters, although the new areas are splendidly made, and for me, unfortunetely, i can't have my BG1 vanilla sprites either, which was my no1 alternative to save the day. I won't be able to enjoy the game at 100%, i'm aware of that, call me hollow if you wish, but the fact remains that the game cannot offer mod support for that.

My feelings are mixed, and i will say concluding, that BG2:EE is nice, because BG2 is nice. The additions are nicely made, especially the NPCs, but the lack of character art and specific mod support kinda ruins it.

Cheers.

P.S. @Beamdog, are you finally considering doing something about the sprites, now that the second game is finally available?
    Couple of things...

The voice sets and portraits from BGEE not carrying over is a bug. Its not intended. It just comes down to the fact that these things are DLC for Ipad users and so they have to make a way for it to register that you have that DLC.

Sprites are expensive to do and they require a lot of work. Also the BG1 vanilla sprites weren't used from my understanding because they don't support dual wielding.
    MornmagorJuliusBorisov
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I really like it.

Black Pits 2 is amazing too.
    elminster
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited November 2013
    @elminster

Yeah the voice and portraits is a minor thing mostly, and since it's a bug, it will go away eventually.

About sprites, i know. It's just that if they found a way to alter them somehow, it would be super-awesome, and Phillip Daigle said that they wanted to do it, but he was vague about the rest, about the how, about the IF. It's a troubled story, the sprites, but i can't take it when the Amnish Soldier has better detail and animation than me. I'm selfish ;p

Also, they did such a good job with the new areas, i am really hopeful about what they could do with the sprites. They would be awesome :]

About BG1 sprites, indeed they don't support dual wield, but i always used IA to use them for my character, since i like BG1 sprites better, and i'm willing to sacrifice dual wielding for that( the mod switches your graphic back if you dual wield ). I can't use that mod anymore, it's not supported, and there is no code for BG1 animations either, if you import them, they crash the game.

The thing is, even if they add the code, altering code might break tons of other stuff. They won't do it. In other words, no mod support for that, ever.

So it's no new (low res even) sprites AND no BG1 sprites.

<- Sad Panda ;/

P.S. The insightful was about the bug with portraits, i didn't know about that ^.^
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    I've had trouble pulling myself away and I usually can only game for an hour or two at a time without needing a break. BG2:EE does not apply.
  • althoralthor Member Posts: 67
    My discs wore out about 5 or so years ago and it had been a year or two prior to that since I last played. I have been waiting anxiously for BGEE and then BG2EE to come out.
    Of course I always much prefered 2 to 1, and havent played 1 since its release however many years ago. I keep saying to myself over and over again, "I can't believe how huge this game world is". I keep having flashbacks of areas and think jeez I am going to be playing this for weeks.
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158
    I did buy it because i wanted to support the project but i'm not touching it until first patch. As for the guy who complained about quick reloading... Ever heard about insane no reload run? :) No offence intended
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Mornmagor said:

...snip...

That isn't quite true, someone just needs to go through and update IA. With the EXTANIM.2da all you do is plug in the data. Animations for sprites are indeed externalized. The only problem is getting someone to make new sprites (the actual animation bams). Also, if you want more monsters, look at @viader 's extended animation mod. Maybe he can update it to be compatible with BGIIEE now that it's released. http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19347/resource-pack-extended-animations#latest
    Check it out to see how it works :)

I don't know about the plans (if any) to create new sprites in the future. Above my paygrade to answer that one. But for me, I would like to see it happen too :)
    elminsterMornmagor
  • viaderviader Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 875
    edited November 2013
    Good thought @Cuv! I should update it soon, it will be work for BGEE and BG2EE, until update I disable links to mod, some patient please :)

Better link :)
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19501/resource-pack-extended-animations?new=1
    CuvMornmagor
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Original? What original?
    elminster said:

• mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

Original? What original?

elminster said:

Werter's, of course..
    mackosFinneousPJviader