Skip to content

[Known 7036] Memory Leak in BGII: EE on Windows 7 PC

NoxDracoriaNoxDracoria Member Posts: 2
edited September 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
Both myself and my fiancé are having issues with BGIIEE with regard to a memory leak: on first launching the game it starts at around 120000k to 125000k used ram.

Over time and through loading new zones and doing stuff in general causes it to increase slightly (not in an alarming manner), however, loading any save games makes it jump in usage a lot: around 50000k to 100000k jumps each time. The game proceeds to get laggy by the time it gets to using around 1.5GB to 2GB+ of ram and will crash soon after it reaches that point.

Both of our computers are running Windows 7 x64 on computers with 16GB DDR3 ram, AMD phenom II quad core processors (one 3.00 GHz and the other 3.4 GHz) and we each have a 2GB video card in the Ati HD 7xxx series.

I can get better pc stats if needed

In general - other than this memory leak - everything is Awesome, just wanted to see if this is an issue many people are experiencing to see what might be causing it as it causes a game crash after about 2 hours of game play (unless on a particularly hard spot where we might be reloading a lot from getting killed)
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• WateversWatevers Member Posts: 25
    BG1:EE came out with extreme memory leaks too. Particularly on zoning in to Friendly Arm Inn and Gnoll Stronghold, the game would slow down to a crawl and become unplayable, eventually crashing a few minutes later.

Honestly, I can forgive a lot of bugs, but memory leaks ain't one of them. I've never before heard of a computer game released publically, especially in 2013, with memory leaks slowdown -> crashing. It's one of the most basic things to avoid in programming and they teach you that in high school C classes.
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    I'm using xp and I am experiencing a lot of lag, though have yet to crash.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I had this happen twice, where it will just randomly start to crawl at 1 fps ( or at least it looks like 1 fps) for now all you can do is quick save, quit the game and come back and it will be fine, but this memory leak definitely needs to be fixed :)
  • MyrmuzduurMyrmuzduur Member Posts: 7
    Worg said:

I'm using xp and I am experiencing a lot of lag, though have yet to crash.

On xp as well.

Lots of lag/slowdown. It's fine at startup, but after about 15-30 minutes the onscreen action slows to a crawl.
    Loading a new area seems to reset this.

• goodoogoodoo Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2013
    Just wanted to add, that I am experiencing the same problem. Im running Win 7 64bit. Baldur.exe will start at around 81k (just starting the game) and around 120k upon loading a savegame or starting the game. From there it will increase in memory used. Depending on what I do exactly (just walking around or switching areas/loading saved games) it will increase at differend rates. Symptoms are the same as OP's. I can provide a dxdiag if necessary. Would be really nice if this issue could be addressed in the next patch.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    I'm experiencing this as well. Using Windows 7.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Yup - same here - Windows 7 64-bit.
  • bdkinneybdkinney Member Posts: 4
    I've got em on Windows 8.1 64bit. Plays fine mostly but after a lot of transitions slow...slow...stutter...crash! launch again and everything is fine.
  • CarpetsmokerCarpetsmoker Member Posts: 9
    I can also confirm this problem. After a while memory usage goes in the 1.5GB+ range and crashes.
  • Affront7Affront7 Member Posts: 2
    Same here, windows 7 64bit, keeps crashing but no slow down.
  • RannRann Member Posts: 168
    Watevers said:

BG1:EE came out with extreme memory leaks too. Particularly on zoning in to Friendly Arm Inn and Gnoll Stronghold, the game would slow down to a crawl and become unplayable, eventually crashing a few minutes later.

Honestly, I can forgive a lot of bugs, but memory leaks ain't one of them. I've never before heard of a computer game released publically, especially in 2013, with memory leaks slowdown -> crashing. It's one of the most basic things to avoid in programming and they teach you that in high school C classes.

Problem is, this isn't really a 2013 game. It's a somewhat modified 2000-ish game which still by and large uses that same technology (tweaked, not rewritten) -- and as a developer who was actively coding at that time, I can state unequivocally what a mess memory management was back then. Debugging memory leaks was insanely painful, especially with weak memory references sprinkled everywhere. (I still vividly remember checking off Removes against AddRefs in lengthy attempts to determine which component wasn't releasing its ref count on the memory block.) Thank goodness we have managed memory, memory garbage collection, etc. in the most widely-used languages today -- alas, when working with older codebases, you kinda gotta "dance with the one what brung you..." (I'm pleased that there are folks out there that love this game so much that they are willing to go spelunking in that old codebase -- better them than me!)
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    The good news here is that the memory leak is confirmed and well on it's way to being fixed. The devs are actively working tracking down exactly what is causing the issues as well as how to fix it.

Below are a couple threads to keep an eye on. The "game breaking bug" thread has the most up to date information on the state of the debugging effort (though it's going on in multiple threads) and the "likes to crash" thread has the most up to date information on what you can do to keep this problem from really affecting your game.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/24200/pretty-serious-game-breaking-bug/p1
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/24014/bg2-ee-likes-to-crash

Please help everyone here by passing along the information that the memory leak is a known issue and that it is ACTIVELY being worked to resolution by the development staff.
  • NoxDracoriaNoxDracoria Member Posts: 2
    As of the Patch 1.2.2030 I no longer have any issues with the memory leak, I am very happy that the BGEE team was able to resolve this issue so quickly :) I hope other people that were experiencing this issue have also had it cleared up with this patch!
  • AramintaiAramintai Member Posts: 232
    edited November 2013
    Yea it's still pretty bad, even after the patch. Especially in Sahuagin city, I even lost sound there. But really, slowdown are still happening anywhere where there are alot of bodies. Also I got it to a crawl when I was filling the beholder lair in the Underdark with spells from the Cloud Kill wand. Too many special effects also slow the game down. At least it doesn't crash now...
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Aramintai said:

Yea it's still pretty bad, even after the patch...

Please specify, what is still bad? Leaks or slowdowns?
    All leaks cause slowdowns (eventually), but not all slowdowns are leaks.
    We fixed a single massive leak we knew about.
    If there are any more leaks, please describe how to reproduce the case.

• AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    edited November 2013
    one case I definitely saw massive slowdown (windows 8) is in the Druid Grove.

enter the troll mound, sight at least one troll without having it attack, and return to the Grove.

you can then do whatever, but unless I leave the Druid Grove main area the game crashes within 2-3 minutes.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited November 2013
    Thanks... we will investigate this.
    [edit]
    I didn't see any leak. Moved to ar1900, entered mound invisibly, left area. No slowdown/leak/crash after 10 minutes.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    edited November 2013
    Hrm. Wonder if I still have my save from before - I'll go have a look.

*Looks like I have my auto save from before entering the druid grove. Will attempt to reproduce.

**Not seeing any slowdowns this time. I'll leave the game running for a while and try again later.
    Post edited by Aranneas on
  • AramintaiAramintai Member Posts: 232

Aramintai said:

Yea it's still pretty bad, even after the patch...

Ok, what I've experienced is that in certain areas where you slay alot of monsters (or they slay each other), like in Sahuagin city, or when you cast a lot of lingering AOE spells like spam Cloudkill spell in the beholders lair in the Underdark, the game slows down considerably and sometimes even sound dissapears. When you are out of the condensed area it speeds up to normal. But the sound problem is fixed only with loading the saved game. I'm not sure if it's a memory leak, but something definetly is still eating the resources.
    My PC specs are in the attached picture.

• JulixJulix Member Posts: 28

In the Underdark I first started having trouble when I was putting loads of drow equipment in the bag of holding and moving them around from one bag to another. Now occasionally whenever there's a lot of drow stuff even on the ground it starts slowing down and then crashes... :-S
  • JulixJulix Member Posts: 28
    Gate70 said:

@Julix are you on version 1.2.2030 of the game (can see it from the options screen, clearer in ToB & BPII than SoA).

Also, do you have a sample save that you could zip & attach.
    Thanks

Ha, you caught me. Never noticed that, as I hadn't gotten to ToB yet. Mine says v1.2.0000 so I take it all back :-)