Skip to content

Help me decide who to take in my party - Korgan, create my own NPC or other

Last night I learned that the party composition that I had planned on using in BG2EE was not possible due to... differing viewpoints between two of the NPCs.

So now I have a dilemma in deciding who will fill my 6th and final party slot. This is an evil party, so I'm inclined to stick with like minded individuals, but a morally questionable chaotic neutral character might fit.

I have:
-PC - Dual Class Berserker 8/Cleric X
-Dorn
-Hexxat
-Viconia
-Edwin

I'm pretty sure that I want another arcane caster and a ranged/archer type character, as currently only Edwin is using ranged attacks regularly (the front lines start to get crowded).

I'm considering Korgan, as he definitely fits the bill for evil, but of course, he's a hardcore melee character. I suppose that I could switch Viconia to more of a ranged focus to balance this out, but I still end up with only one arcane caster.

Haer'dalis is another option I'm considering. He covers the backup arcane caster role, but his kit is very melee oriented also. Jan is pretty much right out, as his personality doesn't really fit this rather dark, brooding group and I just don't need a second thief.

Another option I'm considering is rolling up my own character. I'm considering something like a dual class fighter 7/mage X, with grandmastery in bow.

What would you all do in my position. I certainly welcome any well thought out comments and feedback!

Comments

• marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    Oh, and at a certain point in the game I may temporarily swap out Edwin for Neera, as I'm very curious to see more of her quest. She was actually my romantic interest in BGEE, but for various reasons doesn't fit as a permament member in BG2EE.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Give Hexxat some throwing daggers, give Viconia a sling, and those front lines are suddenly a lot less crowded, plus you can save some of Edwin's magic missiles if Hexxat and Viconia do all the Cleric/Druid spell interrupting.
    marcerorzupskyKidCarnivalbooinyoureyes
    That's a way to go. I had actually modified Hexxat to be a Dual Class Fighter 7/Thief X, with a focus on two weapon fighting. I rather like her in this role, as I find it very appropo to have her backstabbing foes.

That said, I could have her focus more on archery. It's something to consider for sure.
    Default Hexxat is great for backstabbing as it is. I have her backstab and then retreat to lure the enemies into Korgan, Dorn, and my Blackguard PC. Then, she either slips back into melee or throws poison daggers from afar.
    edited November 2013
    After thinking about this for the better part of a day, I decided to create my own party member. Meet Adonis of the Night. The attachment shows her stats. She has grandmastery in longbows and I have her using the thief sprite.

Hmm, not really sure how to make the screenshot display. I'll have to look into that.
    Here is her biography:

Adonis was raised by the Talosians, though she knows not when or how she came into their care. She has a natural aptitude for wielding arcane magics and is a true shot with a bow. The Talosians recognized her many talents early, and helped her develop them that they might be put to use for the Stormlord's will.

Most recently Adonis has been asked to look into a new cult that has taken hold in Athkatla. She is willing to join up with like minded adventurers to accomplish her goals.

Adonis says little, and when she is asked why she is called "Of the Night" she says even less. She is a beautiful and deadly warrior, and with the right group, a powerful ally.
    edited November 2013
    I can't imagine taking a broken dual-class combo that abuses the dual-class proficiency glitch over a psychotic dwarf mercenary with attitude. You have chosen...poorly.
    KidCarnivalbooinyoureyeskissoff
    edited November 2013
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Schneidend hates the dual-class proficiency glitch and all who utilise it =P

Schneidend hates the dual-class proficiency glitch and all who utilise it =P

It doesn't help that I already dislike dual-classing quite a bit.

A man's got to stick to his principles unless somebody has a better idea.

edited November 2013
    @Eudaemonium

I don't believe there was a glitch here. 7 levels in fighter was enough to become grandmaster in bows. Then I dualed to mage, and retained those abilities. I fail to see the "glitch".
    You would have two in bows at first level, then one from level 3, and one more from level 6. Where did the fifth come from?
    edited November 2013
    @Schneidend

The issue I have with sticking with Korgan is that I will be left with only one arcane caster (a concern I mentioned earlier in the thread). At the end of the day, I want that second caster, especially considering that my primary arcane caster can't cast any divination spells
    The glitch/design decision/whatever is the ability to carry on putting proficiency points up to grandmastery. I use it all the time as well, but that don't think its especially close to PnP rules =P

I just consider it a perk of dual-classing in the BG house rules.
    jackjack
    I used to always have two arcanists, as well, but it really isn't necessary. Viconia can cast True Sight, which is the only divination you need.
    I started the character with 5 available to spend.

You would have two in bows at first level, then one from level 3, and one more from level 6. Where did the fifth come from?

I started the character with 6 available to spend, and dropped 5 into long bow. Okay, I guess I'm seeing the glitch now. Hmm, I'm so used to this in BG2 that I've never considered it a glitch. Oh well, I'm not bothered by it like you are I guess.
    Personally, I think the entire set of restrictions around dual and multiclassing are pretty silly. I greatly prefer 3rd edition in this respect. I don't have a problem breaking from a rule that I think is rather silly in the first place.
    3rd Edition doesn't have proficiency pips, so it is a lot less powerful than dualing to Fighter in 2E.

3E also requires you to level up each class one at a time, rather than 2E allowing you to reset yourself on the level table and gain three levels by completing a single quest.

The problem in 3E, however, is that most of the classes are so front-loaded that there's no reason to not take one, two, or three levels in a bunch of different classes. Pathfinder more or less fixes this by making single classes have really great high-level abilities.
    jackjack
    edited November 2013

3rd Edition doesn't have proficiency pips, so it is a lot less powerful than dualing to Fighter in 2E.

Well, not exactly, but in 3rd edition a level 4 fighter can gain weapon specialization which makes them significantly more effective with their chosen weapon, and improved weapon focus at level 8 IIRC. It accomplishes a similar result.

3E also requires you to level up each class one at a time, rather than 2E allowing you to reset yourself on the level table and gain three levels by completing a single quest.

The problem in 3E, however, is that most of the classes are so front-loaded that there's no reason to not take one, two, or three levels in a bunch of different classes. Pathfinder more or less fixes this by making single classes have really great high-level abilities.

I'm a big fan of Pathfinder. I prefer it to 4th edition, and have played a number of campaigns in this setting.

At any rate, getting back to BG2EE, I can appreciate that you personally have issues with the choice I made. But personally, I'm already finding Adonis of the Night to be infinitely more interesting than Korgan, as I develop her backstory and consider how I can roleplay her through the game.

And while its true I can cover True Sight with either of my clerics, its much harder to cover Identify with a cleric. And because I'm a cheapskate, I have a real issue having to pay merchants to identify stuff for me.

And it's more than just divination. I just like to have a backup arcane and divine caster in all my parties. Perhaps its a poor choice for you, but personally, I'm having no regrets thus far. I'm sure it's going to work out great.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747

I can't imagine taking a broken dual-class combo that abuses the dual-class proficiency glitch over a psychotic dwarf mercenary with attitude. You have chosen...poorly.

I don't understand how an archer compares to Korgan, and why a female ranged character would be named Adonis (there is the female version "Adonia").

I don't understand how an archer compares to Korgan, and why a female ranged character would be named Adonis (there is the female version "Adonia").
    The name I actually like quite a bit. But, then, I also like Ashley as a boy's name, so I guess I'm a bit of an odd duck.
    Adonis is meant to symbolize beauty. Sure, in Greek mythology of Planet Earth Adonis was a male. On Toril, where Greece is completely unknown, I'm pretty sure there's room for the rules to be just slightly different. I mean, when's the last time you saw some cast magic missile or have an animated golem as a bodyguard.

At the end of the day, I liked the name, so I went with it. ;)
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I agree that there is no greek mythology, it would just irritate me as player. I'd probably hum "A boy named Sue" in my head every time I click on her.

The name I actually like quite a bit. But, then, I also like Ashley as a boy's name, so I guess I'm a bit of an odd duck.
    Ashley *is* a boy's name :P (at least here in the UK, I seriously don't think I've ever met a girl with that name, though I know it is used as one in America)
    edited November 2013

I agree that there is no greek mythology, it would just irritate me as player. I'd probably hum "A boy named Sue" in my head every time I click on her.

That's fair. Personally, I've always found the name to be rather feminine. And I came up with it rather quickly, so I'm not trying to claim it's the-greatest-character-name-ever™, or anything. :P

I understand that there is some consternation as to how I could use this character over the muscle that Korgan provides, and again, I can understand that on a purely micro level. Looking at the macro level I simply don't need the extra muscle, at least, not as much (in my mind) as I need a good backline character and a secondary mage.

Adonis fills both of those rolls beautifully, as she is quite an effective archer. Her THAC0 is going to fall behind later in the game, sure, but it will always be light years better than Edwin's with his sling, and she'll typically have 3.5 attacks per round with her bow! And... she'll be an amazing mage, though I will have her focus mostly on utility and crowd control type spells. Edwin will be the mighty conjurer and direct damage caster.

With Hexxat running as a dual class fighter7/thiefX she is a monster. And Viconia is a multi-class fighter/cleric with her strength boosted to 19 from a belt, so she's deadly too, though her hit points are admittedly somewhat low. Eventually she'll wield Crom Faeyr, and will be nigh unto unstoppable! Of course, Dorn is a total monster and my dual class Berserker 8/Cleric PC wielding Flail of Ages +3 is extremely deadly as well.

So my front lines are extremely well covered. If I were to bring in Korgan I'd more likely drop Viconia to make room than Adonis. I wrestled between Korgan and Viconia for weeks (I really tend to plan my parties out in advance), but ultimately decided that Viconia was a) hotter and b) her cleric spells would be a serious boon.

So it's working for me. I do appreciate the feedback given. But at the end of the day, I have to make my own choices for my own game.

Post edited by marceror on
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I think it's cool that you made your own back story and all, and I like the idea of an "Arcane Archer" type character in BG2EE... but "of the Night" just strikes me as incredibly corny
    Yeah, it's a little corny, I admit. But I bet you wouldn't say that to her face, if you met her in real life! ;)
    booinyoureyes
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    fair nuff!

Ashley *is* a boy's name :P (at least here in the UK, I seriously don't think I've ever met a girl with that name, though I know it is used as one in America)

It used to be a boy name in America, as well, but now it is decidedly not. I wish it was. I would totally name my kid Ashley if I had a son.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    You could simply have Neera as a full party member - she is CN, and not really a goody-goody.