Skip to content

Pretty serious/game-breaking bug

Comments

• AraminaAramina Member Posts: 64
    edited November 2013
    Ok, hopefully I did this right. Just noticed the actual file size o.o Pre crash the baldur.sav was 400KB, after the crash it's now 11KB. Hopefully these will be of some use. To reproduce it...I just spam clicked items in my inventory until the memory usage started getting past 1 mil, then repeatedly quick saved until I was (un?)lucky and happened to save right as it crashed.
  • AlexTAlexT Member Posts: 760
    @Aramina can you also provide a zipped up crash dump?

The relevant file should be located inside the "crash" folder and will be named something like this:
    dump.2028.0001.dmp
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited November 2013
    Cool, thanks for the patience. So the cause of the most wanted bug is either in the gui or the quicksave process. That really narrows it down :)

It is small after crash because it lacks the saved areas (resulting in the area reset symptom).
    @aVENGER I checked for the crash dump, and it hasn't even created folder for it yet :/ I looked in the "My Documents/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition" folder, and all that's there is the ini file, portraits and save folders. Am I looking in the wrong place for it?
    That is the correct place. There should be a folder called "crash" and some files inside it. Check your baldur.ini and see if you have this line in there:
    'Program Options',	'Logging On',	'1',
    If it's not present, add it and try to repeat the crash if possible.
    @aVENGER I don't have that line in the ini, so I'll add it and try to reproduce it as quickly as I can. Will probably take around 10-20 minutes depending on how fast i can click :p
    @Aramina i'm trying to repro this in debugger. How exactly you cause the memory growth?
    Just go into inventory screen and drop an item into the ground slot. Then take back and repeat?
    edited November 2013
    @Avenger_teambg While in the item menu, I've been picking up Dorn's equipped sword from its slot and putting it back in the same spot over and over again. It's the fastest way I've found to raise the memory use so far since I can just spam click. You don't need to drop the item on the ground. Just clicking it to pick it up and clicking again to put it down cause the growth.

EDIT: Ok, I reproduced the crash again after adding the line to my ini file, but it still didn't give me a crash report. *sadface* All I get is the "There was a problem with Baldur's Gate 2:Enhanced Edition" box that sends me to a broken link on the beamdog website.

...in other news today, Dorn apparently snapped and killed poor CHARNAME. Witnesses only heard him screaming something about not touching his sword before she was hacked into pieces with it.
  • MajiinfreddyMajiinfreddy Member Posts: 4
    Also got this one.
    During Nalias keep questline I got this strange reset inside of the keep and naturally believed that this was only for this zone.
    I pushed through and kept myself from abusing it ;>
    Finally done and .. 6-7 hours into the game I traveled back to the city and everything is reset.
    Circus tent is reset, "KOO -guy" wants my money (I can't say no to him :( ) , bla bla, so yeah..
    Game is broken for me and I cannot play until this is fixed.

I am however tempted to restart , but as I browse the forums it's clear that this is a normal bug and resetting might give me this bug Again.

Hope you're able to fix it soon, Loving the EE beside this..
    @Aramina for the sake of completeness, are you running a PC or Mac version?

Also, did you obtain the game via Steam or through the Beamdog client?
  • XKalXKal Member Posts: 58
    This is the one reported bug that is so far keeping me from playing my newly purchased copy of the game. Kudos to the team for digging into it so quickly!
    @aVENGER Running it on PC, Windows 7 specifically. I bought it through Beamdog and installed it with the stand alone launcher.

Glad you guys are jumping on this one so quickly. Hopefully it can be sorted out soon!
  • VereniusVerenius Member Posts: 7
    I had the very same problem, although my game crashed during the autosave as i was leaving the druidgrove (the duelpit area). As i reloaded the autosave and made my way out to the worldmap, all areas where gone (except athkatla and the druidgrove) and every previusly visited area in the game was reset.

Iam trying to upload the crash and savefiles here however there are popups claming that those filetypes isn't allowed, i might be doing something wrong.
    Verenius said:

I had the very same problem, although my game crashed during the autosave as i was leaving the druidgrove (the duelpit area). As i reloaded the autosave and made my way out to the worldmap, all areas where gone (except athkatla and the druidgrove) and every previusly visited area in the game was reset.

Iam trying to upload the crash and savefiles here however there are popups claming that those filetypes isn't allowed, i might be doing something wrong.

Make a zip from them.
    edited November 2013
    Alright i included a folder with all of the files from crashes aswell as a save. Unfortunally It´s not the autosave where it crashed, however it is a save made as i kept playing with the save (i was able to rediscover all areas but de'arnise keep. Hopefully it can provide some help regardless.
    Post edited by Verenius on
    A little of topic: In that particular save i posted i cant progress the game since iam supposed to assault bodhi's lair, yet that mage from the thieves guild that is supposed to meet me wont show up. Might it be possible to use the console to get the script running for that event?
  • mforwwmforww Member Posts: 78
    Verenius said:

A little of topic: In that particular save i posted i cant progress the game since iam supposed to assault bodhi's lair, yet that mage from the thieves guild that is supposed to meet me wont show up. Might it be possible to use the console to get the script running for that event?

Literally just ran into the exact. same. problem. this kinda sucks

Also noticed that according to my journal I'm in "Chapter 5" which is clearly not true...
  • mforwwmforww Member Posts: 78
    Verenius said:

Ok Verenius did some google searching and figured it out. open your clua console and type this:

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("GLOBAL", "CHAPTER" 3)

I assume what's happening is that your reset error caused your "chapter" tally to go up when you re-entered the docks and triggered the Chapter 2 cutscene, hence throwing the Haz NPC situation out of wack.

Sucks that this memory leak has been such a massive pain in the ass
  • thetookybirdthetookybird Member Posts: 2
    On the one hand, I am glad I am not alone..

On the other, I know how much this bites. Finished Windspear Hills, quicksaved, crash, suddenly my entire game reset, except me and my party.
    I do not know if anyone else is having this issue, but now my game is slowing considerably every time I save or quicksave. I have tried to be careful with my saving, so as not to have the same issue. There are times I still crash to desktop, but so far I haven't noticed other parts of the game reset, just that my game lags a considerable amount for about 1-3 minutes after each save.
    Another odd occurrence was, after my game reset crash, I tried to reload an earlier save, and the game immediately crashed afterwards, corrupting that save file too. Dunno if this helps, but it's what has happened for me *shrug*
    mforww said:

Ok Verenius did some google searching and figured it out. open your clua console and type this:

I assume what's happening is that your reset error caused your "chapter" tally to go up when you re-entered the docks and triggered the Chapter 2 cutscene, hence throwing the Haz NPC situation out of wack.

Wow thanks :-D !
    You were right about the chapter (i was on chapter 4 for whatever reason), although for some reason the exact imput of your console command didn't work since you forgot a , after the "chapter" input, but i was able to figure that out myself eventually. And it worked! Haz is there just waiting for me to speak to him and meet his imminent demise and i wont have to restart the game, Huzzah!

For anyone in need of the exact console command here it is:
    CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("CHAPTER", "GLOBAL", 3)
  • MeepichiMeepichi Member Posts: 40
    Yeah, basically the game is unplayable at this point. I'm afraid to play anymore for fear of wasting lots of time, which I already have actually. Hopefully this can be fixed in short order.
  • mysticexarchmysticexarch Member Posts: 12
    Verenius said:

mforww said:

Wow thanks :-D !
    You were right about the chapter (i was on chapter 4 for whatever reason), although for some reason the exact imput of your console command didn't work since you forgot a , after the "chapter" input, but i was able to figure that out myself eventually. And it worked! Haz is there just waiting for me to speak to him and meet his imminent demise and i wont have to restart the game, Huzzah!

For anyone in need of the exact console command here it is:
    CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("CHAPTER", "GLOBAL", 3)
    I was having the exact same problem. So II entered this command in exactly, and my journal will not change to chapter 3.

edited November 2013
    did you enable debugmode in the baldur.ini file? If not you vill find it in Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition.
    Here is a few link i found on google about the console.
    http://gemrb.org/iesdp/appendices/clua/bg2.htm
    http://www.pocketplane.net/volothamp/chap11.htm
    http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/threads/all-the-clua-commands.14938/

Edit: and if that dosn't work you could try and post your save.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Out of interest: has anyone had this problem on a mac so far? I'm trying to decide if I keep playing or wait a patch or two...
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    BG2EE.... Return to the future..buut with a progressive twist!... lol *;*))
  • MajiinfreddyMajiinfreddy Member Posts: 4
    Anyone tried the Steam version, lol :p ?
  • selkyraselkyra Member Posts: 54
    I have a similar situation:

At one point in Firkraag's dungeon my game got really slow. I quick-saved and then the game crashed to desktop. Then I loaded the quick-save. I didn't notice anything to be out of order so I continued. After releasing the girl and killing the dragon, I noticed that the whole area had been reset. All enemies I had previously killed had been spawned again.

Strangely though not everything is reset. Firkraag recognizes me from before, NPC's like Edwin and Nalia are in Copper Coronet as I have done their quests , but things like Gaelan Bayle giving me the 20000 gp quest and Copper Coronet's slave quest start like in the beginning of the game.

I wonder, when a patch to fix this bug is released, will it fix 'broken' saves? I have an older save which I can use to continue my game normally, but I did lose over 10 hours of gameplay...
  • adormituladormitul Member Posts: 63
    selkyra said:

I have a similar situation:

At one point in Firkraag's dungeon my game got really slow. I quick-saved and then the game crashed to desktop. Then I loaded the quick-save. I didn't notice anything to be out of order so I continued. After releasing the girl and killing the dragon, I noticed that the whole area had been reset. All enemies I had previously killed had been spawned again.

Strangely though not everything is reset. Firkraag recognizes me from before, NPC's like Edwin and Nalia are in Copper Coronet as I have done their quests , but things like Gaelan Bayle giving me the 20000 gp quest and Copper Coronet's slave quest start like in the beginning of the game.

I wonder, when a patch to fix this bug is released, will it fix 'broken' saves? I have an older save which I can use to continue my game normally, but I did lose over 10 hours of gameplay...

I had the same problem like you and this kind of thing happened about 8 times during my playtrough please fix it is very frustrating very frustrating.
  • filpanfilpan Member Posts: 34
    I put the game on hold until they fix this. This is serious stuff. Thank god i didn't buy the game or I'd be pissed.
  • mysticexarchmysticexarch Member Posts: 12
    Verenius said:

did you enable debugmode in the baldur.ini file? If not you vill find it in Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition.
    Here is a few link i found on google about the console.
    http://gemrb.org/iesdp/appendices/clua/bg2.htm
    http://www.pocketplane.net/volothamp/chap11.htm
    http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/threads/all-the-clua-commands.14938/

Edit: and if that dosn't work you could try and post your save.

Yes, Debug Mode = 1 is entered and the console is working correctly. I had it enabled ever since I started playing, expecting that I would need to fix something.

I am unable to upload my save file. It says that that file type is not allowed. What should I do?

Also, I found a folder called "crash", with one file in it. It wasn't there before I had this problem. Is that relevant, perhaps? I am unfortunately unable to attach it.

I should add that the "quicksave" crash occurred twice for me, but I thought nothing of it because it did not interrupt the progress of any long quests I was currently on. I kept playing for 10 or so hours, which I see is a mistake now.

I was thinking, since I'm stuck in Chapter 4, could I not just simply teleport myself to the island on which spellhold is located? I haven't tried it only because I do not have the area code.

One last thing. Is there any way to restart the game, but keep my party intact? In other words, is there a way I could keep my items/experience levels/party members all the same? Of course, it would be trivial to manually add all my experience and items back, but that would take a long time and I'd rather not do it if at all possible.