Skip to content

Pretty serious/game-breaking bug

Comments

• AnotherLifeAnotherLife Member Posts: 115
    Well, you can keep a whole backlog of your quicksaves or autosaves with this little tool I coded:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/24491/multiple-quicksaves-please#latest

Then if you get the crash you go back to the previous save.
  • mysticexarchmysticexarch Member Posts: 12
    I decided to reload a previous save and use the console to give my characters the XP and items I missed out on. As far as I can tell, it's the only way to fix this. To my surprise, it didn't even take too long...just about 30 mins.

It's pretty easy to not repeat the same mistake again, now that I understand it. It has crashed several times since, but I just reloaded an autosave or quicksave.

One thing to note: if it crashes after you quicksave, you cannot use that file anymore.

The game is totally still playable as long as you're careful.

• VereniusVerenius Member Posts: 7
    Apparently you need to zip the saves and crash files to be able to upload them.
    As for the areacode to the pirate island its AR1600 if you hadnt looked that up yourself already.
  • the_mithrilthe_mithril Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    I have had this bug happen to me. After killing that Rakashaa in the severs and saving/loading, the area reset and I had to kill them again. Sadly I didn't think much of it and continued to do the unseeing eye quest. Only after I was done with it I realised that the whole chapter had reset. I don't dare to keep playing until this is fixed. :'(
  • KohlErikaKohlErika Member Posts: 3
    I got the same problem after a quicksave in the Shadow thief lair, just before killing Aran. I quicksaved, the game broke, i restarted, loaded the quicksave, and enemies were there again, areas lost, everything was resetted... would be very great to fix this.
  • LysandreLysandre Member Posts: 3
    this happen to me right now. All my map was deleted, and when i move to the slums, gaelan bayle talk to me, as if i was at chapter 2.
  • zezbozezbo Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    So I just left the under dark to find that all of the districts within Amn are greyed out, and all of the previously visited areas outside of man are no longer there? Went to city gates and that allowed me access to a few but not all of the other districts. When I went to the slums Gaelan Bayle was there and he started his script when you see him for the first time and after following him to his house, the game moves back into Chapter 2! (Was in chapter 6 after leaving the under dark) After searching around some of the other districts I found that ALL of the quests I had previously done had I guess, undone themselves? Cult of the Eyeless restarted, I was able to get a second Celestial Fury,(awesome). Another thing I noticed was that Waukeen's Promenade had fog of was everywhere as if I had been there for the first time. HOWEVER when I went to the Adventurer's Mart, I was offered to see the secret stash which you don't get tot look at right away.

HAH! just reloaded my game after a crash and the save file says I'm still in chapter 6 after the talk with Gaelan that takes you to chapter 2. Lol however according to my journal the "Collect the fee for Gaelan Bayle" quest show up under chapter 6.

Anyone have any ingenious ideas for unfucking my game?!
  • mayhemmayhem Member Posts: 7
    I noticed same area reset thing in Magic forest. I reported it yesterday on the different category.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23771/bg2ee-quick-load-enemies-disappear/p2

This will be a little bit annoying thing, if this happens more than once. Hopefully patch contains some help here.
  • PabazuPabazu Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2013
    I worked through most of the first two floors, went through the secret doors upstairs and took the winding stairs down to the dungeon, where I took some time farming the rest-spawns while doing the occasional Quick Save. While doing one such save the game simply crashed. I went back in and continued, and soon it came with the "golems springing to life from taking one of the stashes in the golem room" message, and a bit after came Glacias' encounter statement - both incidents while I'm in the dungeon floor fighting rest spawns.

I clear a bit of the level, then go back up the winding stairs only to find the map of this floor is reset and now I'm stuck behind the secret door to the stairs, and this door can only be opened from the outside, so I'm going nowhere.

On a side note: I went to the region map to get the name of the keep for this post, and de'Arnise Hold was gone from the map, along with Windspear Hills and Watcher's Keep which were also there before.
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    @Purudaya 17/11
    lol..yes, some people DO care more about REAL technical gameplay troubles (potentially totally game/fun crashing trouble, mind you dude^).. than basic 2nd hand homosexual propaganda triumphs added to a 12 year old classic.. more serious matters here for some others.. but to everyone his own priorities i guess, i know.. ^^ :*/
  • laptopman666laptopman666 Member Posts: 283
    edited November 2013
    From what I can tell quicksaving is causing a ton of issues for me as well. Sometimes enemies disappear when you quicksave then reload. Quests get wonked like alot of the issues i have been reading on this thread, i have stopped quicksaving and that has stopped 98% of the issues i was having. So try not quicksaving i hope it works for you guys as well! best of luck with your issues :D
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    sunset00 said:

@Purudaya 17/11
    lol..yes, some people DO care more about REAL technical gameplay troubles (potentially totally game/fun crashing trouble, mind you dude^).. than basic 2nd hand homosexual propaganda triumphs added to a 12 year old classic.. more serious matters here for some others.. but to everyone his own priorities i guess, i know.. ^^ :*/

The inclusion of a gay character = homosexual "propaganda?"

I suppose the fact that she's black is the result of black propaganda as well, then. Dude, it's just a character that seems to have brought enjoyment to a lot of players - for 12 years, players who wanted to roll an LGBTQI character had no romance options; now they do. And as a result, they've been subjected to some blatantly bigoted and homophobic remarks on these forums.

The inclusion of this character literally causes you no harm at all. If the character were straight, nobody would be trying to claim that the inclusion of that content somehow impeded other development priorities. This has nothing to do with bugs and you know it.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    sunset00 said:

[...]

Purudaya said:

[...]

Please, keep that discussion out of this thread. this is not the place to discuss whether there's bigotery or/and if it's a good idea to include gay/lesbian romances in Baldur's Gate 2.

edited November 2013
    @Purudaya
    yeah yeah blas, blas, blas, i know those kind of arguments by heart.. enjoy the very good taste on EVIL char now (but then, blas blas blas..they needed to do new evil char, so have not other options too blas blas blas..).. and i will let you meditate on that too now.. neverending *ù*ù ^.

But not the purpose of that thread anyway.. mind you again (yes, you seem to be focused on that kind of subject, to react there with half-*ss humour too that i noticed -so i replied joking too hu.. *))- the rest you don't care too much, isn't it?^^) ^^ Now , If you have a solution for the OP (&others) on _that_ technical glitch (the main point on that thread), we will thank you, the rest, seriously.. ^^
    On that.. tchuuuss *)

PS:
    @Aranthys agreed ^.. bigotry, *bics..we win every time with some.. *//
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, I wasn't the one who brought it back up. I've seen enough threads derailed lately though, so I'll be happy to leave the topic alone if @sunset00 will.

As for your bug, OP - I encountered your second scenario yesterday and was then able to complete the quest correctly after reloading (it was unfortunately a quicksave and has since been overwritten, so I don't have a zip handy).

I freed Hendak, rushed through the hallway killing every guard in sight, then came across Lehtinan and waited for Hendak to catch up and kill him, although he never did. I went back to look for him and he had completely disappeared.

It seems that, once rescuing him, you have to let Hendak go first and kind of clean up behind him as he makes his way to the bar (don't let him out of your field of sight). Once he engages Lehtinan, it doesn't seem to matter who kills him. I don't remember ever encountering this in the original game, but I could be wrong.

I have experienced crashes, but none like the one you're describing. Forgive me if you addressed this question elsewhere in the thread, but were you playing for long-ish periods before the crash, or are they happening when you attempt the quest from start-up? I know a lot of people have been reporting memory leaks and was wondering if that might be somehow responsible. Seems specific/location-based, though. Huh.
    @Purudaya no problem with me, so gentle Purudaya ^^ If i had not seen, reading back, your oh so smart very first comment on heterosexuality, i would not have found funny to reply today (i did not see that the last time i passed, so sorry) ).. joking, joking too hu? ..*// but you could be wrong yes, who knows indeed ^ / that thread subject : i hope they will solve that (not to have a similar fun erase after dozens of hours myself^^).. the rest..really less important to me too, oki doki ? .. ok, we stop on that then.. on that optimistical thought) ^
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    The fix for the memory leak (likely) causing the buggy saves is being tested right now.
  • XKalXKal Member Posts: 58

The fix for the memory leak (likely) causing the buggy saves is being tested right now.

Great news. I hope that is indeed the issue. I assume you guys have been able to reproduce this in-house?
    We reproduced it by dropping an item which had special abilities on the ground and sitting around it for a while. Dropping several magic items around speeds up the effect.
    This is the map reset bug, merging with the others.
  • TheogrimmmmTheogrimmmm Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2013
    Just as it sounds every sequence every area is unexploared undone though the quests are complete but i can't go back to other areas i've been before. I was doing my Neera quests and right after i killed Laneth and talked to "King"Gramm my game crashed but it quick save at the exact moment the game crashed for no obvious reason. When i got back into the game ....everything was as thus it never happened laneth every npc was still alive or haven't conversed with yet and the outer areas of Amn weren't shown. Does this mean i have to start a new game? -.-

L.E Thanks for deleting my topic i didn't noticed this one. Also it does seem theres nothing i can do but start a new game or resort to CluaConsole wich i rather not :<
    Post edited by Theogrimmmm on
  • Vaughann722Vaughann722 Member Posts: 4
    Ok - I just finished the Underdark area; Ended up back in the main area and made my way to the Shadow Thieves Guild to enlist them against Irenicus.; But even when they say I may enter and the doors opened for me - the doors remain locked and unopenable. Help pls.
  • Vaughann722Vaughann722 Member Posts: 4
    In fact it now looks even more serious - After finishing the Underdark the game seems to have been partially reset; and though I have Imoen I am back to Chapter 2!!!
  • mforwwmforww Member Posts: 78
    edited November 2013
    There is a clua console command you can use to set the chapter. I think the format is something like CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("CHAPTER", "GLOBAL", 6). Google it for the exact text if that doesn't work, but that ought to solve your problem.

Also, there's a way to prevent this from happening: 1) save frequently, in case a crash happens 2) periodically exit the game to prevent the memory leak from crashing the game 3) if the game DOES crash while you're saving... DO NOT LOAD THAT SAVE. That's how the reset bug happens. Just go back to your last autosave or something and you'll be fine. I haven't had any problems since doing those 3 things other than the annoyance the comes with the occasional crash.
  • AraminaAramina Member Posts: 64
    If you're running windows, you can also open up the task manager to keep track of how much memory BGII is using (in the processes tab). That way you can reset it when it starts to get out of hand, and before it crashes on you.
  • BigDaddyDreamBigDaddyDream Member Posts: 5
    So was this issue fixed with the update today?

It said something about the memory leak with piles but I really don't want to start over and have everything reset when I'm almost finished...again.

Also, would it be better if I just never used the "quicksave" option?
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    mforww said:

There is a clua console command you can use to set the chapter. I think the format is something like CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("CHAPTER", "GLOBAL", 6). Google it for the exact text if that doesn't work, but that ought to solve your problem.

Just a little convinience tip, you can just write C:SetGlobal... with the EEs.
    edited November 2013

So was this issue fixed with the update today?

It said something about the memory leak with piles but I really don't want to start over and have everything reset when I'm almost finished...again.

Also, would it be better if I just never used the "quicksave" option?

Yes. The huge LEAK has been fixed so saving should be safer now (lags after some hours shouldn't happen either).
    There could be other leaks, if we get reports we'll hunt them down.

Saved games that became buggy before the fix will remain buggy, the best you can do with them is to delete them (possibly import your character).

Saving to different slots still sounds like a good idea.
  • SedgeSedge Member Posts: 29
    Is there any new patch to download for the mem leak ???
    Can you please give me a link ??
    Sedge said:

Is there any new patch to download for the mem leak ???
    Can you please give me a link ??

It's the current first patch for BGIIEE available in the launcher.