Skip to content

General mechanics changes in BG2:EE if compared to BG:EE (i.e. STR and ranged weapons, BH's traps)

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
While there're several threads about impressions on the game and new NPCs already, there's not much information about the in-game mechanics of BG2:EE if compared to BG:EE. I've decided to make a discussion about these changes and I hope it will be interesting to others.

The first thing I've discovered is while thrown axes (and hammers) get bonuses from STR in BG2:EE, thrown daggers get bonuses from DEX, as well as bows and xbows do.

Meanwhile, from the character screen of Jaheira it can be seen DEX also gives bonuses +hit to slings. Here is confirmed that slings get STR damage bonuses. So right now, it seems slings receive a THAC0 bonus from both STR and DEX.

And characteristics of the Sling of Seeking are deliberatly changed: now it gives unlimited +1 bullets. Yay!

The second thing I've found is bounty hunter's special traps can be thrown again (like in BG2, while it has been nerfed in BG:EE). Yay!

Yoshimo in my party has been able to place his special traps ranged.

The third thing is that now Avenger's Spider form is NOT immune to the Web spell, but it's a bug according to the Devs.

Share your discoveries too:-)

EDIT: Now with the new forum section available, I move this discussion to BG2:EE specific one:)
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    noooo my strength bonuses
  • HelminoHelmino Member Posts: 106
    edited November 2013
    Oh nice to hear this :)
    Just to clear things up, does that mean thrown daggers don't get damage bonuses, only THAC0 bonuses from dex? And thrown axes and hammers get both damage and THAC0 bonuses from strength?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @Jalily, can you please give us an explanation? Thanks in advance;)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @nano

Instead of waiting for an official answer, I've tested this myself in the game.

SO.

Thrown axes and hammers get both damage and THAC0 bonuses from STR - it seems right.

Thrown daggers get only THAC0 bonuses from DEX, no bonuses from STR at all - it seems wrong, thrown daggers should get bonuses in the same manner with thrown axes and hammers.

Slings get both damage and THAC0 bonuses from STR - and in the SAME TIME - THAC0 bonuses from DEX - the latter is wrong, only bonuses from STR should stay.

Darts, bows and xbows get only THAC0 bonuses from DEX - it is right.
    @bengoshi Thanks for checking all those weapons. That is a little disappointing, but daggers do get +1 attack over axes and hammers so I can understand their reasoning. The 1 base APR weapons get STR bonuses while the higher base ones do not.

I will note that daggers seem a bit disadvantaged because while missile weapons get bonuses from both the launcher and ammo, daggers only get one weapon's worth of bonuses. But as more items are discovered maybe we'll see an awesome throwing dagger.
  • KoyoteKoyote Member Posts: 89
    Avengers spider has poison again and I think haste. I'll enjoy it while it lasts...
  • SpiffyMcBangSpiffyMcBang Member Posts: 160
    bengoshi said:

Thrown daggers get only THAC0 bonuses from DEX, no bonuses from STR at all - it seems wrong, thrown daggers should get bonuses in the same manner with thrown axes and hammers.

I don't remember where I saw it- maybe in 3rd edition- but there was an idea or rule change where strength bonuses on thrown weapons were capped at the damage of the weapon. So a 1d4 throwing dagger could only get +4 bonus damage fron strength. I don't know if there's a way to make that change in this game, or if it should be made, but it's sensible if nothing else.

I'm liking Viconia with the Sling of Seeking and a Girdle of Hill Giant Strength, though. :D