Skip to content

14 Constitution [BGII:EE Spoiler Alert!]

MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
Anyone else notice that all of the new NPCs have a 14 CON? Is there some sort of numerological significance that I'm not quite picking up on here? As for Hexxat,
I'm surprised she has a CON score at all, since she's undead
Post edited by Jalily on
WigglesDarkDoggJuliusBorisovBasillicumiavasechui

Comments

• ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    In BGEE I thought it was a cruel attempt to tempt us into using the Tome of Health on one of the new NPCs...
    MortiannaQuartzlaptopman666
  • SharnSharn Member Posts: 188
    I set up the cluaconsole soley for the purpose of returning books that I gave out in BG.
    MortiannaAyiekie
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    They didn't buff them in BGII? Dafuq. I figured they'd all get a boost for BGII since all of the BG1 NPCs that got into BGII did. Weird.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Quartz said:

They didn't buff them in BGII? Dafuq. I figured they'd all get a boost for BGII since all of the BG1 NPCs that got into BGII did. Weird.

Made sense back in the day when they buffed Jaheira for instance, but I don't really feel like the new NPC's really were so lacking that they needed a buff. Particularly since they get new items during their quests that help them out.
    jackjack
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    I would have preferred Neera and Rasaad to get a buff, but I agree that Dorn really didn't need one. Ah well, that's what EE Keeper is for! :D
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    elminster said:

Quartz said:

Made sense back in the day when they buffed Jaheira for instance, but I don't really feel like the new NPC's really were so lacking that they needed a buff. Particularly since they get new items during their quests that help them out.
    I think Neera could've used a Con boost. Possibly Rasaad because his stats are garbage (though he's going to be powerful in BGII just by being a Monk, regardless of stats). Dorn yeah, I'll agree with you he doesn't need a buff.
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    Mortianna said:

Anyone else notice that all of the new NPCs have a 14 CON? Is there some sort of numerological significance that I'm not quite picking up on here? As for Hexxat,

I'm surprised she has a CON score at all, since she's undead
    Wait and you can romance her? ooooooooook then.
  • SwordsNotWordsSwordsNotWords Member Posts: 147

Argh! Why did I click on 'show spoiler'! Why! Why!

We're so used to just clicking on spoiler tags since the games been out so long. Darn new content...

EntropyXII
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    @Mortianna youre right actually it would have been better if you wrote it out IN BIG LETTERS

Damn, my impulse control sux >.<
    EntropyXIIMortiannaGemHoundSwordsNotWords
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216

Argh! Why did I click on 'show spoiler'! Why! Why!

Argh! Why did you post this! I missed the spoiler section but had to click it after reading this! Why! Why!

Mortianna
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    Constitution = body build, how fit the NPC is, muscles etc. Why undeads shouldn't have CON at all?
    I've noticed the 14 CON on new NPCs in the first game.
    Kivan is the only vanilla NPC in the 2 BG games in the "14 CON club" too =)
  • Dorn's low Con got to me for a while; I finally picked up the Belt of Fortitude and he feels like a real tank now. For the first few hours, CHARNAME (sorcerer with 16 Con) actually had more HP than either of my two tanks (Dorn and Jaheira).
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited November 2013
    Maybe in BGEE it's to tempt you to use the CON tome on them. Or to give you the chance that if you use any item that improves CON on them, you'd get some tangible results.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    I suppose that 14 is a good amount without being too powerful for the base NPCs?

I do prefer to have max con for HP rolls (16 for non fighter classes), and max dex for AC, but then thats just a powergaming thing.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    DarkDogg said:

Constitution = body build, how fit the NPC is, muscles etc.

Then how do you define strength? ;p
    edited November 2013
    enqenq said:

Then how do you define strength? ;p

CON is more like endurance (fit, muscles) and your body composition or build.
    And STR is might and brute force.

STR is when YOU hit, your power.
    CON is when SOMEBODY hits you, your resistance.
    MortiannaEudaemonium
    Con sounds like fat by that definition, because if you're all fit and ripped, a strike easily goes straight to your nerves. Gladiators for example were not ripped, they had a protective fat layer so they could suffer flesh wounds easier.

Hell, big muscles suit your (and my) definition of strength quite fine, but they're not a measurement of endurance, which we attribute to constitution. People who lift a ton (literally) have huge muscles, but marathon runners are wiry. Large muscles can lift more in one go, but suck terribly at repetitively lifting something light.

Check http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Constitution :) you could also read http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Undead_Type just to check all the things undead are immune to due to not having a con score; not having a metabolic system. I realize this is third edition but I doubt undead changed much between the editions, and the answer to the OP's Hexxat dilemma is: Because in BG2(EE) you die if any stat hits 0.
    Mortianna
    edited November 2013
    Marathon is not exactly about endurance.
    Let's take football (soccer) players. Which players are more endure stocky (dwarfs 19) or thin (elfs 17)?
    Or STR - how hard they hit the ball. Ibrahimovich (halforc 19) vs Neymar (halfling 17).

Undeads... Well, vampires are not ordinary undeads. They can speak, feel, their brain is functioning and they use blood (what they drink) for metabolism. They do have a metabolic system. If they don't get blood - they'll die nice and slowly.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    enqenq said:

Because in BG2(EE) you die if any stat hits 0.

Game mechanics. That explains it!
    DarkDogg said:

Marathon is not exactly about endurance.

Excuse me, what? What is about endurance if running 42 kilometers isn't? Do we have to go to triathlon?
    Philhelm
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    enqenq said:

Con sounds like fat by that definition, because if you're all fit and ripped, a strike easily goes straight to your nerves. Gladiators for example were not ripped, they had a protective fat layer so they could suffer flesh wounds easier.

Hell, big muscles suit your (and my) definition of strength quite fine, but they're not a measurement of endurance, which we attribute to constitution. People who lift a ton (literally) have huge muscles, but marathon runners are wiry. Large muscles can lift more in one go, but suck terribly at repetitively lifting something light.

Check http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Constitution :) you could also read http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Undead_Type just to check all the things undead are immune to due to not having a con score; not having a metabolic system. I realize this is third edition but I doubt undead changed much between the editions, and the answer to the OP's Hexxat dilemma is: Because in BG2(EE) you die if any stat hits 0.

Constitution is how resistant your body is to shocks to the system. A sword through the shoulder is a shock to your system, and how well you recover from that, and how quickly, reflects upon your constitution. Strength determines your musculature and ability to exert force. It is possible to have a character who is physically weak, but extremely resilient, likewise physically strong, but fragile.
    enqenq
  • AkuratheunseenAkuratheunseen Member Posts: 28
    The issue to me isnt that its 14 con but that Every new npc has 14 for some bizarre reason
    Mortianna
    @Amberion thanks for clearing it up :)

Now I'm just wondering how exactly the body builds resistance to system shock? 'cause if I understand that, hit points are gonna make sense at last.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    Cardiovascular exercises are a good way to help keep the body healthy. It's all about making sure your body is working efficiently.
    enqenq
    And thus the pieces come together! Post some random babble will you? I can't give you 2 insightfuls for 1 post :)