Skip to content

hardest encounter for u

hello! i start this topic where u can change ur mind! post ur opinion about hardest fight in game

mine hardest fight was demi lich in underdark. =) i just didnk knew thay minsk has immunity to cage while berserking and those lich all the time caged my team =) after hours of trying i killed him with Melf's meteors while time stopped )

Comments

• velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    Is there any demi lich in Underdark? I don´t think so. There are just two in the whole game. On in Athkatla, the second in Watcher´s Keep.
  • shrekdjshrekdj Member Posts: 50
    I am familiar about many hard fights but without going back in good old days of BG2, I think new content was a lot of fun and definitely hard.
  • kjiflrfkjiflrf Member Posts: 31
    velehal said:

Is there any demi lich in Underdark? I don´t think so. There are just two in the whole game. On in Athkatla, the second in Watcher´s Keep.

oh u're right! i mean demi lich in watchers keep )))
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    The first batch of goblins in Irenicus' dungeon.
  • ArktosaArktosa Member Posts: 73
    The first time you cast a gate without any protection....
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    edited November 2013
    After playing around a lot at the extremes of the difficulty spectrum, I think the fight I reload the most on is...

Tor'Gal.

Though in terms of complexity it is nowhere near as difficult as say Ascension, Lunar Eclipse, or Melanthium, the fact that you can do the fight so early in the game (and I do) makes it quite hard. Of course, that in itself is somewhat of an artificial difficulty - if I waited longer with the Keep, I'd surely steamroll it without breaking a sweat. The way I usually do it, though (Druid Grove, then Keep as the first big quests) fighting through the ball of death surrounding him is very annoying. I've tried everything from AoE to kiting to careful trapping, but no strategy seems to be foolproof, and I spend 10+ reloads every time I'm there. Fun! No, really, I enjoy it a lot!

In terms of objective difficulty, the three I mentioned earlier are probably my picks. Each has annoying mechanics to deal with, a lot of micromanagement, and downright unfair opponents. Takes a while to figure them out when you first do it, but by the time you reach those fights you usually have EVERYTHING at your disposal and ready to be used. Just a matter of turning the right cog at the right time until the strategy clicks into place. Once you've got that down, you can beat the fights with no or very few reloads.

My game is heavily modded, of course, and I always play on Insane difficulty. Changes things up quite a bit!
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    The doorway is my usual strategy against Tor'Gal. If you fight in the doorway, then only one troll at a time can get to you. And you can have 3 melee whacking against the single troll.

Although even with that, he's no pushover and hits very hard.
  • The_MageThe_Mage Member Posts: 19
    I have to say that, during my original playthrough, I found the group you encounter in the Temple sewers to be quite the challenge. The fighters and cleric I could manage, but the mage kept popping my characters left and right.

Other than that, I have always had a bit of difficulty dealing with mind flayers.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    Mind Flayers.
  • mackosmackos Member Posts: 188
    I remember tactics Tor'Gal was deadly for me
    karnor00 said:

The doorway is my usual strategy against Tor'Gal. If you fight in the doorway, then only one troll at a time can get to you. And you can have 3 melee whacking against the single troll.

Although even with that, he's no pushover and hits very hard.

Doesn't work for me unfortunately since with SCS all the Spirit Trolls are casters. Together with the Yuan-Ti Mages they can do pretty scary stuff to you from the back row, and there's a LOT of them. Chokepoints actually work against you a lot there, because one failed save on Greater Command can easily trap one of your characters in a bad spot, blocking the others.
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    I think that "objectively" the hardest fight is Ascension´s finale. But I had always troubles with Improved Ilyich, especially when I tried to kill without any cheesy tactic. Now when SCS has replaced Tactics the most tiresome are randon encounters between Athakatla city parts immediately when you leave Irenicus´dungeon. Without any really good equipment and because of low level of party these encounters are very difficult and deadly.
  • althoralthor Member Posts: 67
    The red wizard at the end of the Neera quest was pretty danged tough to me.
    Maybe I was abit too low lvl for it, but it took me HOURS to knock her out.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited November 2013
    This play through so far it's been the cowled wizard in planar sphere, Tolgerias I think? Average level of 10.
  • DrayenDrayen Member Posts: 127
    Having finished black pits 2... i think the final encounter (with all ennemies) is probably the hardest i've faced, though I could have fared better with a better setup and better spent money
  • needsmoarhamstersneedsmoarhamsters Member Posts: 30
    Without a doubt, the
    2 mind flayers and alhoon during Hexxat's 2nd quest.
    I went into that quest thinking, "I'm stuck here, so it can't be that bad" at level 9. I came out at level 10 with a pile of brainless bodies.

Meanwhile, Viconia immediately 1-shotted Kangaxx the Demilich with the mace of disruption for the most anti-climactic battle of my entire experience with the BG saga. Reminds me of the old loading tip, "Don't you hate it when you cast disintegrate on the dragon...and it works?!"
  • needsmoarhamstersneedsmoarhamsters Member Posts: 30
    Can't figure out how to attach a new image after the bmp didnt load properly...anyway, here is my screenshot post-Kangaxx. Dorn got an owwie :(
    Mace of Disruption and Azuredge are such silly weapons, haha ¬_¬ I guess it wouldn't be so bad if so many of the toughest enemies weren't undead... Snatching Daystar is another favorite of mine, as is killing Deirex in Ust Natha while the cutscene is still playing...
  • OcculusXOcculusX Member Posts: 99
    For me, it would have to be the fight with the small adventurer's group in the sewers under Athkatla. I would estimate that their party level was like 5-7 levels above mine. But I was a stubborn bloke... so I decided to rock their socks off by taking my fighter/mage casting armor, blur, and ghost shield; giving him an AC of -8.

First, I attracted their archer, (who was surprisingly good at hitting an AC of -8); I lured him further down to the base chamber where the Rakshasa was; on his own, he didn't stand a chance.

Second, I attracted their priest. I took quite a bit of damage from his blade barrier. He died eventually.

Third came the long part; draining the wizard of his spells. I cast magic resistance on Viconia; then had him unload his salvo on her. (This required quite a bit of restarting). After he had run out of spells, my group swarmed him and he was gone.

Fourth and easiest piece: take out the three guys remaining. Cast haste on my group, then swarmed them, took out their priest first. Then the fighters went down without a hassle.

For my level at the time... it was really tough.

I recently took out the shadow dragon... I laid down the maximum number of traps that Hexxat would let me set. I cast resist fear on my group. Then I had Edwin and charname cast spells under haste at the same time. charname cast lower resistance, Edwin cast cloudkill. Second round: charname cast cloudkill, Edwin cast cloudkill. The dragon was right cross, at this point; then my group swarmed him under haste. He was dead before he could get more than a wing buffet off... which was a good thing; because he had protection from magical weapons as the next piece of his behavior. One breath from this stupid dragon == 1 char death.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @OcculusX By casting MR on Vicy you probably lowered her magic resistance... they don't stack, AFAIK.

I usually kill the dragon by distracting it with summons while my front liners pound it to pieces.
    Dragons are fairly easy to kill. Just stack whatever resistance you need (fire for red, cold for silver, lightning for blue...) and tank it with a mage with Stoneskin. If your dragons are smart (thanks to say SCS), it helps to bait their dispels out with either immuned characters (Spell Immunity: Abjuration) or summons (my favorite is Helm of Vhailor's Simulacrum) at the start.

I routinely kill SCS Firkraag on Insane at very low levels (~1m XP) with that, though it may take a while until you iron out the kinks.
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158
    I used to think demiliches were hard until the good ol' protection from undead scroll opened my eyes. In BG1 for me it had to be Greater Wolfware and Mendas Loup Garou...
  • OcculusXOcculusX Member Posts: 99
    It's funny. You look at the way dragons were designed under the second edition ruleset... there should be no way to beat them. The ancient dragons should act like the worst demi-lich you've ever faced and more; with near godlike intelligence, high magic resistence, and unnatural toughness. They could layer their whole lair with trigger and contingency spell traps; if a intruder ever wanders in and causes problems... hit the trigger and end the threat. And if the threat actually survives; then they could do the mage thing, Chain Contingency - "3 Project Image", then activate Spell Trigger - "Mislead, Improved Haste, Tensors Transformation". Nothing in ToB could stand up to that. If, on the off-chance something could, the dragon could easily Gate out and step into it's personal favorite pocket plane.

In Baldur's Gate, they're badly gimped by the AI they were given.
  • laptopman666laptopman666 Member Posts: 283

Without a doubt, the

2 mind flayers and alhoon during Hexxat's 2nd quest.
    I went into that quest thinking, "I'm stuck here, so it can't be that bad" at level 9. I came out at level 10 with a pile of brainless bodies.

Meanwhile, Viconia immediately 1-shotted Kangaxx the Demilich with the mace of disruption for the most anti-climactic battle of my entire experience with the BG saga. Reminds me of the old loading tip, "Don't you hate it when you cast disintegrate on the dragon...and it works?!"
    The easy way i beat that mindflayer fight with hexxat was I simply summon skeletons because they are immune to ALL mind flayer abilities and mind drain. So they can actually wear down the mindflayers quite nicely :) then i had korgan berserk so he was immune to them as well (except the mind drain, be careful!) and then popped a ton of enhancement potions for him and went to town with his axe!!!! It only took 2 reloads :D

• SharShar Member Posts: 158
    OcculusX said:

It's funny. You look at the way dragons were designed under the second edition ruleset... there should be no way to beat them. The ancient dragons should act like the worst demi-lich you've ever faced and more; with near godlike intelligence, high magic resistence, and unnatural toughness. They could layer their whole lair with trigger and contingency spell traps; if a intruder ever wanders in and causes problems... hit the trigger and end the threat. And if the threat actually survives; then they could do the mage thing, Chain Contingency - "3 Project Image", then activate Spell Trigger - "Mislead, Improved Haste, Tensors Transformation". Nothing in ToB could stand up to that. If, on the off-chance something could, the dragon could easily Gate out and step into it's personal favorite pocket plane.

In Baldur's Gate, they're badly gimped by the AI they were given.

Are Do'urden books canon? I havent read all of them but i do remember Drizzt had to cheese it from red dragon i think.
  • XukuthXukuth Member Posts: 78
    The Shade Lord fight with SCS is really friggin' difficult, especially if it's one of your earlier dungeons.
  • DrayenDrayen Member Posts: 127
    That sewers group was indeed hard back in the day when I did my first clear of BG2... but since then I found out how stupidly overpowered fears and stuns were, just horror/hold person them and you'll cut their group down more than half of them.