Skip to content

Least favorite Spell and Most favorite Spell

XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
I was just curious as to everyone's favorite spell (Either from BG series, NWN series, Planescape torment) and if it isn't from BG, just list what it is, and what it does, and then why it's your favorite. :)

THEN, list the spell YOU think is most useless for whatever reason, and then list why :) I'll totally start

Favorite spell that I use all the time is ice storm (level 4 BG series) because it's ice, is Aoe, lasts a while longer than fireball, and has the chance to freeze people to death, which is always fun!

The spell I feel is most useless... is probably detect evil. This spell, unless if i'm mistaken, is only needed ONCE in BG2 IF you're a paladin.

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Stoneskin
    Infravision

Take a guess about the order ;)
  • KharasKharas Member Posts: 150
    My favorite spell must clearly be fireball.. the warm feeling you get when you throw a few of these into a room packed with monsters is always worth a giggle or 2...

Ohh and least favorite.. The good damn mindcontrol spell that mindflayers throw at you... The fact that my greed force me to clear out the mindflayer lair in the underdark, combined with this spell have resulted in no end of cursing over the years..
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    Favorite: simulacrum
    Least: wail of the banshee
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    Fav: sleep/entangle
    Hate: Invisibility (at least when monsters use it)
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    @FrozenDervish now THAT'S interesting, why do you not like Wail of the Banshee? I would LOVE to hear your opinion on that one :)
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    Xavioria said:

@FrozenDervish now THAT'S interesting, why do you not like Wail of the Banshee? I would LOVE to hear your opinion on that one :)

In my experience, most found it impractical. I don't remember using it.

Infravision and Wish.

Guess which is which.
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    @Xavioria

It's honestly just a boring spell you either save and it does nothing or you don't and you die nothing else.

As a side note the animation for it is just as boring as the spell itself.
  • nemesisnemesis Member Posts: 49
    Loved using the entangle spell then having minsc use spider's bane with free action. I never got any use from Infravision
  • CandramelekhCandramelekh Member Posts: 109
    1. Melf's Acid Arrow
    2. Isaac's greater missile storm + greater spell penetration + maximize spell (A number of energy missiles (one per caster level but to a maximum of 20) appear and randomly target and hit any hostile creature in the area of effect. If there are more creatures than missiles, only the closest targets will be damaged. If there are more missiles than creatures, one of the creatures will be hit with multiple missiles. Each missile does 2d6 points of magical damage.)

Useless - Infravision
  • KivonKivon Member Posts: 4
    I just love the Wish/Limited Wish for their one-shot wishes. Nothing like trampling your enemies with a horde of bunnies!
    Personally I have never used Infravision, but since that's a popular choice, I'll go with... Know Alignment (shocking twist from the already mentioned Detect Evil).
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    @Kivon LMAO

can someone PLEASE tell me exactly what the use of infravision ACTUALLY is? I was thinking that it let Humans have better hit dice rolls at night... or something like that, but if it's use is just to tint your guys red at night, then I may want to kill myself.

Just remembered, isn't there a ring AND a helmet of infravision? The spell becomes a bit more useless than it already is (if that's even possible)
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    Helps you see in the dark like elves dwarves gnomes. In game it gives everything a reddish tinge at night/underground.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Best; Spell Sequences with three fireballs. Clear any room with the click of a button.
    Worst; Infravision is too mainstream so I'll say Know Alignment. BG is black and white enough to know when you're talking to an evil creature within 5 seconds anyway.
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    Magic Missile - Just love the visual representation of how powerful it is based on your level.
    Shadow Door - Looked awesome in BG2 opening scenes until you get it and ur like what the hell improved invisibilty but a level higher?!
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    @Xaviora, Infravision is utterly useless. Perhaps increasing it's effect on gameplay is one of the enhancements coming with BG:EE; I hope.

Favourite: Dragon's Breath - Incredible damage, ignores magic resistance, party friendly, fast casting time

Least Favorite: Confusion - Hold person is more effective, lower level, and doesn't result in enemies scurrying half-way across the battlefield and back
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    favorite: siricrum or wish both are just fun, and with siricrum, it's kinda like you unleash your shadow to kick some major ass, wish, i just love the randomness of it

most hated spell: web. God i hate that spell. Early game, you all sit around not doing anything as just everyone fails the save, execpt archers/mages on both sides outside the area. no priest spell to get rid of it either. And yeah, i can equip free movement items, but i like to run around with haste on and free movement cancels out haste.

also, i hate spiders, and the web spell is always around spiders......
  • FlauschigFlauschig Member Posts: 84
    Love: magic missles, always looking badass
    Hate: everything with webs in it
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    I love Chaos. Really good for 5th level IMO.

Nishruus just destroy the loot - I never use them.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    edited August 2012
    Good: Agannazar's Scorcher (BG2 variant). Casting into the center of a group of badies, and walking around so that it strafes into lots of enemies is really fun. Don't remember if BG1 has this behavior, but IWD 1 roots the PC who casts it unfortunately.

General comment: some of the constant effect spells really need to scale with player level to a larger degree (I'm looking at you, wizard buffs) above and beyond "3 rounds + 1 round/lvl". Esp. ghost armor, blur, and these other passive +AC / spellsword spells.

Other good spells: IWD has a lot of druid spells that aren't in the BG series: icelance, thorny outcrop (or whatever it was called), crashing wave.. these should definitely be in the BG series. Now that they're implementing the TobEX scrolling spellbook, we no longer have spell book space to worry about.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2012
    I'm just going to address BG1.

Some faves:

It's very satisfying to Charm or Dominate enemies and unleash them on their own party.

I also love when the lowly level 1 spell Chromatic Orb manages to blind, stun or even paralyze the target (especially a major bad guy).

I sometimes like having my wizards (or fighter-mages) waltz up to weakened enemies and use touch spells Ghoul Touch and Vampiric Touch to finish them off.

Useless spells, beyond Infravision: Friends, Know Alignment, Detect Evil.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    Favourite spell: pretty much anything from the evocation school of magic. If it doesn't go boom it's not worth the time to scribe it into my spell book. My Mage is supposed to be heavy artillery. Adding class to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Least favourite spell: there is a couple of spells I find ompletely useless but as I don't use them I forget what they are.
  • MuninMunin Member Posts: 95
    If you inlude all spells, not just mages, I am a dead duck without some variation of Cure Wounds or Heal. Monster Summoning is a beautiful thing. Simulacrum is fantastic but it takes a long time to get to that level so you don't get to use it too many times. Seems like my Mage always has Magic Missles as a favorite spell.

Find Familiar always seemed like a risk. After rolling for hours for a good Constitution number I hate to lose a point.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2012
    How could I have forgotten the Wild Mage's Cow Kill? That's definitely on my short list of faves.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Best: Insect Plague. I'm rubbish at fighting magic users and the fact that Jaheira can cast this has saved me a lot of times at the start of SoA.

Worst: Anything with an area effect . Because I always seem to end up with half my characters in the blast radius.
  • BlaveBlave Member Posts: 39
    Munin said:

Find Familiar always seemed like a risk. After rolling for hours for a good Constitution number I hate to lose a point.

What's risky about permanent free extra HP? Just put your familiar in your inventory and never bother with it again.

Favorite Spells:
    BG1: Sleep. Ends so many encounters with multiple enemies. Useless in BG2, though.
    BG2: Stoneskin - and Breach to cancel the Stoneskins of your enemies. Ridiculous good defensive spell.

Least Favorite Spells:
    BG1: Ignoring the "Why would anyone even consider using this?!?"-spells like Infravision, Horror is probablay my least favorite. Why would I send my foes running all over the place if I can lock them down just as easy with web. Or Entangle. Or Stinking Cloud. Or Hold Person. Or...
    BG2: Every kind of Charm or Domination spells. Yeah, they are powerful. But if the charmed enemy is killed by some other enemy, you don't get XP. I won't let anyone or anything reduce my XP! :D
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    agris said:

Good: Agannazar's Scorcher (BG2 variant). Casting into the center of a group of badies, and walking around so that it strafes into lots of enemies is really fun. Don't remember if BG1 has this behavior, but IWD 1 roots the PC who casts it unfortunately.

I didn't realise you could do that. I'll be trying that one out when I play tonight.

• DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    I like the tactics you could do with spell combinations.
  • happslapphappslapp Member Posts: 53
    favorite would have to be Melf's Minute Meteors because it gave my mage a powerful range weapon
    least favorite was sunfire because it just ended up hurting my party
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    Horror didn't work proberly in BG1 when used on enemies, they would run a few secs, and then attack you again xS