Skip to content

Rate BG2:EE out of 10

Comments

• MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    zerckan said:

-1 for bugs.
    -1 for Hexxat portrait. (Give me back Clara with her lovely portrait so i can forget this -1)

I wanted to find some kind of michael jackson Gif instead, but couldnt find one so this one will have to suffice.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563

+s
    I'm enjoying the new content so far.
    I'm enjoying the Black Pits so far. It's harder than BP1 which is a good thing (the first was too easy).
    It's still BG2

-s
    Immersion breaking bugs.
    New content isn't quite seemless.
    There could still be more 'enhancements' e.g. swiching between ranged and dual wielding.
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    Mungri said:

zerckan said:

-1 for bugs.
    -1 for Hexxat portrait. (Give me back Clara with her lovely portrait so i can forget this -1)

I wanted to find some kind of michael jackson Gif instead, but couldnt find one so this one will have to suffice.
    How come is it racist?
    Are you a Vampire rights activist?

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2013
    @Mungri @zerckan Can we NOT have another bloody thread closed? PLEASE??
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    @Quartz
    I don't think we are fighting. It's just a normal post like thousands others on this forum.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    zerckan said:

eh, it's okay imho. though... I know she's from Chult, but those neck rings... yeah, they do give her kind of an "uga-buga" feel. :D
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    edited November 2013
    This release had the potential to be the best game ever, and now I am disappointed. Full with new bugs AND some big old ones as well. But this isn't the biggest problem, I am sure they will fix them in time. What is really annoying is the mixed graphic style. BG2 had a very different "feel". I mean the paperdolls the icons, the animations.
    I am not completely against adapting BG1 style. But now it is a strange mongrel, BG1's realistic style mixed with BG2's cartoonish style. Not to mention when I first saw Imoen with hoodie... meh.
    Why "enhance" something which was good already? At least it would be more uniform, I would have loved enhanced videos, or new portraits for the new characters since all the old npcs had. Or they could enhance some of the scroll spell icons, just compare chant's scroll and stone icon versions.
    Some of the music is badly cut, and there are still battle musics with mismatched endings. And the built-in advertisments for the new features makes the game a cheap "modern downloadable app-like" feel.
    I will finish the new bug report for BGEE1 1.2 then I'll wait for a long time not playing either of them. Maybe patch will do the trick.

Now it is like star wars with the new blinking ewoks... Please Beamdog do not turn into George Lucas.
    Post edited by ankheg on
  • JnnJnn Member Posts: 34
    edited November 2013
    ankheg said:

I'll wait for a long time not playing either of them. Maybe patch will do the trick.

Kinda on the same train. Finished with bg1:ee and was hoping for a seamless continuation to bg2:ee, but a quick glance at all the bug reports made me reconsider.

Im sure they're working their asses off to tidy things up, but i aint planning to start another life on these forums. I'l probably visit couple more days and if nothing's happening then i'l return to check whats going in January. Doubt theres much going on during December because of holidays and such.

Post edited by Jnn on
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660

zerckan said:

eh, it's okay imho. though... I know she's from Chult, but those neck rings... yeah, they do give her kind of an "uga-buga" feel. :D
    That's what give you the heebie jeebies ? Not what she hands you in that bag? :P
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Still a bit of room for improvement (to do with bugs, mostly) but in terms of content? I'm impressed.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    edited November 2013

zerckan said:

I was thinking "elegant" or "exotic" but what do I know, right?

EDIT: The mystery is solved regarding my pickpocket score. Melodic Chain has thief skill penalties but they aren't in the item description. My rating is back to 9 now... but please add the relevant details to the item description!
    Post edited by LordRumfish on
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    zerckan said:

Mungri said:

zerckan said:

-1 for bugs.

How come is it racist?
    Are you a Vampire rights activist?

Its not, that was just a funny internet meme.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    now I wish I could change my rating the new patch makes this 10 out of 10 disappearing enemies fixed :)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

zerckan said:

You guys have different opinions on what's attractive and what isn't? Say it ain't so! Seriously guys v_v;
  • mysticspheremysticsphere Member Posts: 38
    9/10, only because of first day bugs.

I just started playing BG2 a few months ago, and while it was enjoyable, it took some time getting used to the rather clunky and outdated UI.

BG2: EE has made everything so much smoother, especially combat. The action indicator on character portraits is a godsend imo, I always had trouble keeping track of what people were doing. Being able to right click spells and read their descriptions during battle--huge boon for a noob like me!

I love the new spell effects, the zooming effect, and movement seems much smoother. And let me not forget about the new quick loot function, wow!

All in all, i love the game and i am so happy to hear Spell Revisions and Item Revisions will be compatible with it eventually.

GG to Beamdog!
    Quartz said:

zerckan said:

You guys have different opinions on what's attractive and what isn't? Say it ain't so! Seriously guys v_v;
    I'm just disappointed when people are picky, that's all. I see beauty all around me and I tend to find the good in people, so it's rare that I consider someone unattractive (Faldorn would probably look fine or even pretty if she didn't have that bizarre "feral" pose in her portrait, for instance; as it is she makes me smile because it's silly).

Hexxat seems pretty obviously beautiful unlike a lot of more borderline cases (the BG1 portrait for Viconia makes her look a bit plain, and even Safana's portrait has most of the enticement coming from her expression rather than her appearance; despite this I still find the BG1 ladies generally attractive in a realistic way).

However, I don't intend to start any battlegrounds in this thread. To be on topic, Hexxat adds to my experience of the game rather than taking away. If I had any issues with the character, they might be related to having more dialogue (especially with Bodhi and company); I have no issues with her portrait or voice, those are positives.

I have only hit a few very minor bugs (mostly involving vampires attacking Shadow Thieves on the streets at night) and the game is a lot of fun. Of course, I never played BG2 before, so this is all new to me. ^_^
  • alaundoalaundo Member Posts: 131
    Flat 10 from me. No Mayor bugs so far besides some Sound issues but Rest works flawless. All the New zones are awesome disgned and all in all the game feels really polished and "enhanced". Well done beamdog!
  • iam1iam1 Member Posts: 43
    edited November 2013
    first impressions:

voices sound too modern and need to be made sounding older, reducing the quality will only help the immersion... as they are now it is clear what is the new game and the old

hexxat's story,
    at least the beginning just now where you go into the tomb and the vampire (real hexxat) comes out is very very.... weak and uninteresting up till that point. I only followed it through because i wanted to see the new content, not because i had any attraction or wish to follow the character...
    for example when you meet pretty much anyone in the game you are greeted by a "character overload" and it all comes bursting out... minsc & boo, jaheira & balance, anomen and that stupid way of talking...

met neera, saw some gnolls and an ettin, game bugged out during cutscene and i'm taking a break.

the resolution changes and smoothness of the game workings were to be expected (from BG1:EE) but a very welcome improvement, and im liking the easy looting way.

some buttons were oddly grey but it's not a big deal...

I can sing 100 praises of BGII, but unfortunately the enhanced edition is a great effort but only a moderate result of creating something of similar quality, it can be better and with enough feedback and tweaking i think you can make the enhanced edition seem like an expansion pack of the original that really immerses the player rather than a seperate game built off and advertised with the glory of old content.

Keep in mind these are just my first impression and opinion and i am being as honest and brutal as humanly possible, and only because i truly want the game to succeed...
  • Eck4343Eck4343 Member Posts: 38
    I love it. I know it's buggy but it's breathed new life into one of the best games ever. Replaying the old version over and over for 13 years was starting to get depressing.
  • RannRann Member Posts: 168
    Too early for this poll. Wait until a couple of patches.
    Rann said:

Too early for this poll. Wait until a couple of patches.

Ehh, a patch poll can be made where people's feelings are parsed out again later. This is just an early indicator of what needs work and what was done right.
  • AnaximanderAnaximander Member Posts: 191
    Like a dream come true :D
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    For all the files externalization, congratulations, but I miss the opaque UI, the new one is just TOO bright.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Dee why is so bad?
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    Well, just passing back quickly.. seeing that.. and giving only a 6 (so far).
    Why? Well.. too many little (very) irritating little details f*cking up for me in the first patches (began with the very sounds/portrait imports from BG1EE char, that lowered my mood too from the start..and never stopped with other little similar discoveries later^) that really made me lost time to try to see what to do to counter them (looking (too much) for quick fixes by generous souls here having time for this.. or self-made ones looking even into NI, EEK, DLTCEP, etc).. often doable, findable, but just really irritating.. Right now, i was passing quickly mainly to see if a new offical patch was out again (yes, the one officially incorporating the fixes found here&there, to no more have to play around with dozen of diverse hotfixes files in the override folder etc^.. and some others noticed from the bug list..just to be sure that's done).

Anyway, very close to a 7 too.. i just also not really loved 2/3 of the new NPCs (well, the one i prefered was rasaad lol..), some of their 'supa-modern' dialogues & behaviours feeling very often more than totally odd & out-of-place compared to the original NPCs minds&times, but not too much of a problem too, i was mainly looking to find back the feel of the first original NPCs spirit anyway, just with a little improved graphic facelift/easy installs.. on that, was perfectly ok for me (minus the first paragraph quick and immediate observations of course).

Well.. maybe up to 8/8.5 with the next patch (for now). And for the peace of mind. And to all the same salutate the efforts to revive those kind of franchises/series. Must have been done.. )
  • FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
    There wasn't a 0 option so i had to do a 6 instead.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    1) Good points

* Definitely the black pits, good music, funny npc, it's a good experience. I would love to meet those characters in future campaign.

* That match making system is really making our life easier to connect with others.

* New kits class

2) Bad points

* As it is only my point of view, except Neera that i love, I don't find those new npc really appealing.

* Not enough new contents such as new voices for your character (a simple way to offer a new experience), side quests and new areas.

9/10.
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310

There wasn't a 0 option so i had to do a 6 instead.

And yet, you put a 8 in the end too, go figure.. lol *))

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    CrevsDaak said:

@Dee why is so bad?

Probably because there is no view poll results option without voting, and as part of the bg:ee team, he didn't want to be accused of influencing the results of the poll
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Well, the first game was awesome, and this game fixed problems with the old game, so how can this game not also be awesome?

Also, I can care less about bugs since they will be fixed eventually, which is more than I can say for the original.

Overall a good game to play, even if I am not a fan of all the new content.