Skip to content

So, Viconia romance.

Late to the party here. I've never romanced Viconia, for various reasons. Her romance bugged out for me once, and I usually don't play evil anyway. I didn't intend to this time either, but upon realizing that Hexxat doesn't bat for that team, I changed course.

First impression: And people call AERIE whiny?

Holy crap, Viconia is the most immature, emotionally manipulative, emotionally scarred, whiny wreck I've ever had the displeasure of talking to, and I'm surprised I hadn't heard about it before experiencing it for myself. Every talk is her trying to manipulate the PC into... I don't even know. It's like she can't NOT mess with a male's head. It's really annoying.

What's worse, is my own dialogue options are extremely narrow. I can either call her a bitch or be some stoic punching bag for her to work her issues out into. It's like high school all over again.

I always play as straight men in these games, but I think I need to roll an evil female PC to see if Hexxat can carry on a conversation without telling me about burning a farmer's family alive and then nailing half of Amn just to try to get a reaction.

Comments

• AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    edited November 2013
    Well, Aerie is a whiny little girl
    Viconia is a manipulative wench
    Jaheira is a snarky abusive mature woman
    Neera ... is... Eh. heh... HEH. You'll find out.

Heh ! ... Neera ... romance.. HEH !

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I suppose it's an easy way to make clear that the relationship is having an effect. It's hard to convince readers that the affection is genuine in a limited amount of time because real life relationships are built over time on trust and lots and lots of interaction. So a transformation is a good way to demonstrate the sincerity of the other person without going through all that even if it's unrealistic.
  • sffrrromsffrrrom Member Posts: 60
    Aerie's relationship has a pretty real effect when she pops out your spawn - especially if you remove her from the party afterwards. Talk about mirroring real life.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    @Duron It's understandable why she's a bitch, but the fact is that she still is a bitch and not the type of person I'd want to date. That said I romance her anyways because I like her from an outside perspective. In BG1 she actually was quite a nice person but that changed in BG2.

And I think she is evil, at least until charname comes along. She's done her own share of evil deeds without any remorse, and one baby isn't enough to turn that around. "It's my culture and I didn't know better" isn't an excuse in Faerun where entire cultures can be good or evil, and if your culture is evil and you go along with it then too bad, you're evil too.
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    @Scheidend Cool story, however, we know all that already. It doesn't change the fact that she's annoying.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    edited November 2013

@Scheidend Cool story, however, we know all that already. It doesn't change the fact that she's annoying.

Oh, it's a FACT, is it? Also good to know.
  • DisgruntlerDisgruntler Member Posts: 100
    Aerie or Viconia?
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    @Scheidend If you honestly don't find her annoying. I applaud you
  • DuronDuron Member Posts: 134
    nano said:

@Duron It's understandable why she's a bitch, but the fact is that she still is a bitch and not the type of person I'd want to date. That said I romance her anyways because I like her from an outside perspective. In BG1 she actually was quite a nice person but that changed in BG2.

And I think she is evil, at least until charname comes along. She's done her own share of evil deeds without any remorse, and one baby isn't enough to turn that around. "It's my culture and I didn't know better" isn't an excuse in Faerun where entire cultures can be good or evil, and if your culture is evil and you go along with it then too bad, you're evil too.

Like I said, she isn't exactly evil, she just doesn't know better. If you were raised in a canibal society would it be normal for you to eat other humans? Probably. Bitch part is expected and normal from her, given her background. Yes she was "nice" in BG1, but why? Cause you gave a damn, you took her in and guarded her while nobody, but nobody gave her a time of day, or wanted her dead just cause of the colour of her skin.

In BG2 she opened up, and when it comes down to it, you can see how fucked up she really is, IMO she is most fucked up of the original 3 romances, even more than Jaheira and that is hard to catch up with. I still believe she is not evil she just doesn't know better, and as proof there is the conversation in which she asks you do you want her to change? If you say yes, her allignment changes from evil to good as she finallly understands your reasoning and love.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Her alignment changes from Evil to Neutral. There is no Good involved.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722

You could say the writer of BG2

winged it
    Am I the only one that read that sentence with Horatio Caine voice in my head ?

• GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2013
    Hmmm... Let's see... So, what some of you here are saying, is that if everything you have been taught in your life is evil, then you are evil, regardless of wanting to change and also not be evil. This argument that many of you are posting would make every single being from an evil culture evil, regardless of their actual inner thoughts. Just noting this.

Regardless, back to the subject since this thread is getting DERAILED.

Aerie is extremely whiny. Compare her loosing her wings, to you loosing your legs. You would eventually get used to it. Whereas Aerie continues to cry and complain about loosing them many years after the fact.

Viconia has been being hunted for longer than Drizzt has been alive at this point in the game(House De'Vir was annihilated by House Do'Urden the exact moment that Drizzt was born, spell caused their destruction). She has some serious baggage due to that.

Jaheira... yuck.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited November 2013
    Aerie 'constantly whining about her wings' is just a myth. Until you romance her, she almost never really talks about them. People who've been through traumatic experiences like hers (and having her wings cut off was just the culmination of a hell of a lot of abuse), often don't talk about it for a very long time. In some case, they may even seem completely fine on the outside. But then, something might happen that will trigger and cause to relive their experiences, which could be anything; a sight, a sound, an anniversary. In Aerie's case, maybe her attraction to the bhaalspawn combined with hearing about the birdcages in Irenicus dungeon is what triggers it.

And as for Vic, who is a bitch whether you romance her or not, I like her character as well. I think others have already said how I feel; I like her as character because she is so evil. Wouldn't take her home to meet mum and dad though.
    Post edited by Coutelier on
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    Coutelier said:

Wouldn't take her home to meet mum and dad though.

Thats not an issue for charname.
    Freche said:

Coutelier said:

Wouldn't take her home to meet mum and dad though.

Thats not an issue for charname.
    Good point... being an orphan does have some advantages.
  • DisgruntlerDisgruntler Member Posts: 100
    Coutelier said:

Aerie 'constantly whining about her wings' is just a myth. Until you romance her, she almost never really talks about them. People who've been through traumatic experiences like hers (and having her wings cut off was just the culmination of a hell of a lot of abuse), often don't talk about it for a very long time. In some case, they may even seem completely fine on the outside. But then, something might happen that will trigger and cause to relive their experiences, which could be anything; a sight, a sound, an anniversary. In Aerie's case, maybe her attraction to the bhaalspawn combined with hearing about the birdcages in Irenicus dungeon is what triggers it.

You know she lost her wings before you leave the circus tent.

• SartainSartain Member Posts: 18
    Pretty sure dear old dad (Bhaal) would think that she was kinda weak-sauce in terms of evil
    edited November 2013

Coutelier said:

You know she lost her wings before you leave the circus tent.

Yes.

Did you have a point? Oh no... I get it; yes, you ask her what she is and she says she's an avariel who lost her wings. That's it. She's not whining about anything, she's just giving an honest answer to your question.
    edited November 2013
    I accidentally hit quote instead of edit. Oh well.

Might as well say that there are other times too when another NPC might ask her about her wings, and she'll give some short answer but not go much deeper than that. She doesn't start conversations with other NPC's about them, so it's not until the romance that she really gets anything off her chest.

Post edited by Coutelier on