Skip to content

Any good reasons to use Neera over Edwin?

I sure would like to go through the game with Neera just for the newness but Edwin is like 10x the mage she is and makes it very difficult to take her past her quest.

Anyone come across anything major I might miss if I stick with Edwin?

I would have liked to think that the new NPCS would atleast be comparable to the better older NPCS. Unfortunately Neera is a far cry from our boy Edwin. He gets a lot more spells and memorizes a lot more as well. Then you don't have to worry about your party getting put to sleep in the middle of an intense battle because of the wild surges.

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Well, you'll miss out on Neera's whole quest if you take Edwin. Wild Mages are really good at high levels, though. Edwin might get more spells, but she gets the ability to abuse NRD.
    gorgonzola
  • althoralthor Member Posts: 67
    There is more to her quest after the refuge? I have done it already.
    There's the Thayan Enclave, but that's it. Also Throne of Bhaal stuff.
  • DisgruntlerDisgruntler Member Posts: 100
    There are some reasons. She is the only non evil pure mage. She can turn her level 1 spell slots into higher levels. Later on she finds equipment that gives a better chance of benevolent wild surges. Her dexterity is also quite respectable. Plus no school is barred to her.
    gorgonzola
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    Stat-wise there is no reason since even you can't be better mage than Edwin. Roleplaying-wise I like her MUCH better.
    gorgonzola
  • DrEastDrEast Member Posts: 113
    Also, she doesn't leave at 19 reputation.
    sunset00booinyoureyeselminsterhowmanyhours
  • acw18acw18 Member Posts: 62
    edited November 2013
    From a power gaming perspective nobody is better than Edwin (not even a charname Mage). So that kinda narrows things down if that's what you care about. However I can vouch that neera is more than good enough to play through the game with on insane difficulty with minimal hiccups and her romance and quests are quite good too. Wild magic can also lead to some hilarious situations too (gender changes, cow fireballs etc)
  • InfiltratorInfiltrator Member Posts: 121
    Southpaw said:

They are quite similar, yes.

...well, the one is self-centered, arrogant, annoying mage...and the other one is Edwin.

At least Edwin is funny and sarcastic. In BG1 at least, Neera was the stereotypical "look at me, i'm so random" girl that craves attention. Plus I don't feel like reloading every time you insta-wipe your party is an interesting way to play the game.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    edited November 2013
    I play good aligned parties, Neera is a MUCH better choice for me.
    JuliusBorisovelminstergorgonzola
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    why neera over edwin?

roleplay, that's why! if you and edwin wouldn't get along, you can choose neera instead. not everything need to be powergamy. i use the party i want and get the most out of them as I can.
    atcDavebooinyoureyes

At least Edwin is funny and sarcastic. In BG1 at least, Neera was the stereotypical "look at me, i'm so random" girl that craves attention. Plus I don't feel like reloading every time you insta-wipe your party is an interesting way to play the game.

Does that even happen? I've seen some gates, but never a party whipe.
  • RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    Neera is romanceable :p
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    For variety. Edwin is 10x the mage that any of the mages in the game are, including the liches if you set him to the same level. By your reasoning, all the other mages in the game might as well have been humans dualled after level 5 so they can have a token fireball spell, and leave it there :P
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Ryofu said:

Neera is romanceable :p

Nah...I'd rather romance Edwina...
    SassyGoldElfbooinyoureyesJenzafarVithar
  • RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    pity you can't mod the game to have a party of 8. or maybe even more. then we won't have to choose. we can catch them all :)
    @Ryofu: This isn't Planescape. there are substantially more than 7 NPCs XD
    Stalkingwolf
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited November 2013
    I've actually found Neera pretty powerful, especially when combining nahals reckless dweomer with the robes she gets from her quest- being able to cast khelben's whip at level 11 is nothing to shake a stick at.

Plus, if you're doing the romance, her character grows and becomes a lot less superficial.
    Post edited by Purudaya on
    sunset00gorgonzola
  • KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215
    Nahal's makes Neera on par with Edwin, if not better. She becomes more powerful once you get the robe that gives her permanent Chaos Shield and access to Greater Chaos Shield. I certainly enjoy turning my entire party invisible, healing them to full, and hitting the enemy with a fireball in the same cast.
    jackjackbooinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
    She gets an item in ToB that gives her 15% higher chance for a good roll on wild surges.
    KithrixxelminsterDeltaslayer
  • KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215

She gets an item in ToB that gives her 15% higher chance for a good roll on wild surges.

Hah! Beautiful. That stacking with Perma-Chaos Shield and Greater Chaos Shield should lead to some interesting things.
    elminster said:

One downside of Neera compared to Edwin is she has a lot less health. An upside is she won't get into a party fights hehe. Overall though they are both very capable mages.

Does Neera not have conflicts with anyone, then? (Other than Edwin, whom she cannot be in a party with).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2013

elminster said:

One downside of Neera compared to Edwin is she has a lot less health. An upside is she won't get into a party fights hehe. Overall though they are both very capable mages.

Does Neera not have conflicts with anyone, then? (Other than Edwin, whom she cannot be in a party with).
    Sorry forgot Edwin hehe. There are probably a few NPC's who will insult her (Viconia is an example) but Edwin is the only "conflict" in the sense that you can't have both in your party at one time. She won't fight anyone.
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    Neera, Neera.. bah, pros mainly because 1. you're curious and want to know her 'new story' (kinda forced to take her then^) 2. bah..she is the only best mage (after Edwina)..that can deal with a REP20 party ^.. ..but with some cons; 3. wild mages can be a little annoying too in reliable combat ^.. 4. well.. put her with Aerie, imoen, mazzy... and you really have the feeling to be in some lalaland sometimes (voices, voices, voices.. O_o ) ..add a rasaad ('to punch or to kick' - they added a new mini Minsc flavor now!..^) if you want to see his story too and..what a team then..and you will have to bear it all along lol...*/ ^^
    booinyoureyes
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Neera gets a spell that lets her use any spell in her spell book as a level 1 spell (Time stop as a level 1 spell? Hell yes. Spell Sequencer? 3 spells for the cost of a level 1 slot, what up?) Only problem with this is that it forces a wild surge, which can be either good or really really bad.

Luckily there's a level 2 spell you can prep ahead of time that helps offset the negative surges, but yeah, her wild surges can be devastating if you get a bad roll... or just plain weird.

Edwin on the otherhand, gets more spells than anyone else in the entire game (on your side, anyway), and besides being evil and coming to blows with a few party members (which can be nullified with a "friendly NPC" tweak), he's pretty much the best mage in the game. That said you don't *need* him in your group, but he definitely helps your group.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    neera: casts finger of death
    wild surge: no save

Neera's pretty awesome
    elminsterJuliusBorisovlaptopman666