Skip to content

So, Viconia romance.

Comments

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    GemHound said:

Hmmm... Let's see... So, what some of you here are saying, is that if everything you have been taught in your life is evil, then you are evil,

Yes, if you accept it. This is Faerun, there are societies where (almost) every single member is evil.
    GemHound said:

regardless of wanting to change and also not be evil.

No - look at Solaufein. He comes from an evil society but he has "good" (neutral) values inside, and must keep up an act to fit in. But Viconia is not like that. She shows no remorse for the deaths of surfacers, drow, lovers and family. Sure, she hesitated when faced with the baby but it takes more to turn away from evil than "well I didn't kill a baby that one time".
    GemHound said:

Regardless, back to the subject since this thread is getting DERAILED.

The thread is about Viconia, no?
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Yes, back to Vic...

I mean, she does seem to be constantly living in fear not just of the surface dwellers, but of what will happen should her own people catch up to her. I think it may make it difficult for her to be close to anyone since she feels she can never let her guard down (a fear which seems may have been accurate, in the end...)
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    And yet, all it takes to get her in bed is to listen to her stories without calling her a bitch too many times.

I dunno, I'm having a hard time taking it seriously.
    Well, she is a drow... they're not exactly known for chastity.
    nano said:

Well, she is a drow... they're not exactly known for chastity.

Which is why I'm a bit annoyed at how gooey and lovey-dovey she gets. So far in SoA at least, there seems to be no way to be a badass evil male that she respects and, well, bangs. I have to just endure her abuse until she goes helpless-female mode, at which point I get to swoop in. The romance feels really false for an evil protagonist.

I can't help but think about the first Knights of the Old Republic game. I can't remember much of the writing, besides HK-47's fantastic quips, but there was one great moment towards the end of the game if you're dark side that is relevant here:

As you fly to the Star Forge for the final confrontation, after going full Dark Side, and assuming you romanced Bastilla, Revan and Bastilla share a glance in a cutscene. A really brief glance, but conveying so much mutual, evil enjoyment in how their destinies had led them to that moment. That brief glance felt more powerful and realistic than Viconia's entire romance so far for me.

Yeah, it was definitely written with a knight-in-shining-armor protagonist in mind. Evil characters get shafted a lot on the roleplay side, unfortunately.
    Lot's of people prefer the other romances. I don't really like Aerie's romance that much, but it's fine if people do. Lot's of people do like Vic's romance, but it's fine if you don't. You know, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you, may not be right for some... something like that.
    Unfortunate. I would have gone with Hexxat or Dorn had I known, but I've already long-since refused Dorn's advances, and I'm not Hexxat's type.
    Coutelier said:

Lot's of people prefer the other romances. I don't really like Aerie's romance that much, but it's fine if people do. Lot's of people do like Vic's romance, but it's fine if you don't. You know, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you, may not be right for some... something like that.

Oh, I know. Not trying to prove any major point, just discussing/venting. Her romance would probably be a lot easier to stomach if I was playing a good or neutral protagonist.
  • Big_MurrayBig_Murray Member Posts: 69
    Aranthys said:

Note that you gotta give some props to BG2 writers : All girls are crazy.
    They at least got that part right.

I never thought about it before ... but Jesus, you're right. You're like a giant crazy girl magnet in this game.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited November 2013
    GemHound said:

Compare her loosing her wings, to you loosing your legs. You would eventually get used to it.

-_-...facepalm
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    GemHound said:

Aerie is extremely whiny. Compare her loosing her wings, to you loosing your legs. You would eventually get used to it. Whereas Aerie continues to cry and complain about loosing them many years after the fact.

Adjusting to being unable to use a form of locomotion you have known all your life is one thing, while being content with it is quite another. You'd be hard pressed to find a legless man who doesn't want them back.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    Ofc he would want them back.
    Doesn't mean he complains about his he loss every day.
    edited November 2013
    Freche said:

Depends on the man and his circumstances, and the circumstances surrounding his losing them. Like Aerie didn't simply have her wings cut off; she was shot, kidnapped, tortured and broken, placed in a cage in front of a crowd where she was humiliated, then neglected and almost left to die... basically she's way, way up there on a chart of characters who are entitled to have a little complain every now and then. Even so as I said, it's simply a myth that she does constantly whine about her wings. She's sad, obviously, and she'll answer questions put to her. But not until the romance does she start spilling.
    Post edited by Coutelier on
  • sffrrromsffrrrom Member Posts: 60
    Isn't the p&p version of the priest spell regeneration - a spell aerie can cast by ToB - supposed to be able to restore lost limbs? Thats always the stupidest part to me.
    edited November 2013
    sffrrrom said:

Isn't the p&p version of the priest spell regeneration - a spell aerie can cast by ToB - supposed to be able to restore lost limbs? Thats always the stupidest part to me.

Yeah, it's never fully explained why she can't restore them; it does seem that an avariel's wings are different from normal wings in some way. But by ToB, she's over it anyway; she's no longer trying to restore them... this is way off topic though.

I'm trying to think of something more to say about Viconia. I guess she and Aerie do have at least one thing in common, both being aliens in a strange world.
    Well, they'd have to be magic from a physics perspective anyway, although so would pretty much every flying d&d creature.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

Aranthys said:

Note that you gotta give some props to BG2 writers : All girls are crazy.
    They at least got that part right.

I never thought about it before ... but Jesus, you're right. You're like a giant crazy girl magnet in this game.
    To be fair, you're kind of a half-god spawn from the lord of murder. Charname's not exactly on the Sane-Boat either.
    Even if he is on the Sane-Boat that's the kind of genetic baggage that makes a girl pause. I mean, does that mean his kids are going to be one quarter lord of murder?
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited November 2013
    Freche said:

Sure he might; and even if he doesn't, nobody would judge him if he did.

I posted on this same topic in another thread awhile back. I work with people who have major disabilities and who have suffered trauma as a result - there is no one way that people deal with it. Some people are totally empowered by their recovery, some suffer chronic anxiety and depression for the rest of their lives.

Even beyond that: among all the people I've worked with, I've never had a client who was sold into slavery and had their limbs hacked off due to infection while they were conscious. I know it's just a video game, but I'm always amazed at people who say Aerie's depression/inability to let go is unrealistic when people go through so much worse for so much less in real life.
    Freche said:

Doesn't he? Doesn't he?
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    How is the Viconia romance for a neutral good type? I've heard here that it's not really satisfying if you're all-out evil, but to roleplay it otherwise you have to be a sort of night in shining armor. What about the charnames in between - are you still able to convert her from evil to neutral without trying to always push her to do good?

I've always wanted to try her romance, but the neutral and good charnames I try it with are always too put off by the coldness/aggressiveness to justify moving forward with her.
  • HandofTyrHandofTyr Member Posts: 106
    What bothers me about Viconia's romance is that your reward is turning her good (neutral?). Why can't we just have an evil romance? Or they could go the more modern rpg route, and allow you to change any of the romance-able options' alignments. Aerie and Anomen both seem vulnerable to dark side conversion speeches.
    This is pretty much the best thing about KOTOR I and II.
    HandofTyr said:

What bothers me about Viconia's romance is that your reward is turning her good (neutral?). Why can't we just have an evil romance? Or they could go the more modern rpg route, and allow you to change any of the romance-able options' alignments. Aerie and Anomen both seem vulnerable to dark side conversion speeches.

You don't have to turn her Neutral. As I recall, there is an Evil path.

HandofTyr said:

You don't have to turn her Neutral. As I recall, there is an Evil path.
    ToB has more evil-ish dialogue choices, esp. after beating Yaga. Problem is you have to basically be a nice guy all throughout SoA to get there.
    sffrrrom said:

ToB has more evil-ish dialogue choices, esp. after beating Yaga. Problem is you have to basically be a nice guy all throughout SoA to get there.

I usually play Evil characters that aren't assholes in their interpersonal relationships, so that's never bothered me much.
  • AeschylusAeschylus Member Posts: 57
    this is a funny post :D just need some memes.

But yes... Was hoping Hexxat was going to be an evil romance, then she says chicks only and keeps chatting up vicona ;/ *gets out video camera*

On the plus side my blackguard playthrou is nearly complete, wonder who ill party with on either my cleric good or Neutral wizard playthrou... Or dragon D
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Madhax said:

Holy crap, Viconia is the most immature, emotionally manipulative, emotionally scarred, whiny wreck I've ever had the displeasure of talking to

You don't date much, do you?