Skip to content

A Short Review of SCS v27 for BGEE

Comments

• TisamonTisamon Member Posts: 209
    @Castorp
    Castorp said:

It reads as if you didn't like the idea of SCS

I do like the idea in theory, but I could surely like its practical implementation a bit more :)
    Castorp said:

Nonetheless, playing solo is so much easier than playing a full party that it more or less defeats the purpose of this review.

Wow. That is probably the most over-reaching exaggeration I've ever heard concerning this game in more than a decade :) Playing solo is exactly six times easier, but only as long as you postulate playing = leveling up. There can be no doubt that a balanced party can reach the same levels (there is more than enough xp sources in BGEE) and be _infinitely_ more efficient than a soloist. I find it odd I have to explain such things, it's common sense.
    Castorp said:

If you play by the rules and play fair, it makes the game fun an challenging. To me, that's more than enough.

What does that mean? Not picking up Ankheg Plate, because it should be so goddamn hard to find? Rushing into those deadly traps like a Half-Orc Barbarian with Int 3? Something else? Define "rules". Define "fair". Then we can have a meaningful discussion.
  • CastorpCastorp Member Posts: 45
    Yes, once you know the game, playing solo is easier. You don't have to micromanage your party, and there are enough potions in the game to make a well-prepared character invulnerable for a good portion of the game. You don't have to protect your mages, you don't have to make sure nobody dies, and it's much easier to exploit the glitches of the game than with a full party.
    If I want an easy game, I play solo.

Playing fair just means not exploiting the engine limitations and the bugs of the game. It's nothing much, but it makes a huge difference.
    JuliusBorisov
    Castorp said:

Yes, once you know the game, playing solo is easier. You don't have to micromanage your party, and there are enough potions in the game to make a well-prepared character invulnerable for a good portion of the game. You don't have to protect your mages, you don't have to make sure nobody dies, and it's much easier to exploit the glitches of the game than with a full party.
    If I want an easy game, I play solo.

It seems you are serious about solo > party. I propose a little experiment, then. I have enough solo runs recorded. Currently I'm planning a non-solo BGEE/BG2EE run with Difficulty & Tweaks mod's highest difficulty settings enabled (enemies have -6 AC, -6 THAC0, -6 saves, 200% hp). I can record it for you to see the difference in comparison to solo runs.
    Castorp said:

Playing fair just means not exploiting the engine limitations and the bugs of the game. It's nothing much, but it makes a huge difference.

Okay, an example, then. Is luring Drasus instead of moronically fighting the whole party an exploit of engine limitations? I claim it's called elementary tactical thinking, and I surely would have tried to divide a group of enemies, either in PnP or in real life. If your answer is yes, though, we are unlikely to find a common ground.
    edited November 2013
    Well, I'm just speaking for myself here.
    I've always found solo runs too easy because of the extra mobility and the ability to make your main character nigh invulnerable thanks to potions and protection scrolls.
    You can flee easily and make tactical retreats impossible to a full party.

And yes, luring Drasus is an exploit, because "in real life" or "in PnP", he wouldn't stupidly follow you without warning his party...
    My rule is simple, when I play: don't to do to the AI what the AI cannot do to you. Strangely, it makes the game so much more challenging.
    Post edited by Castorp on
    athakOperativeNLJuliusBorisov
    Castorp said:

My rule is simple, when I play: don't to do to the IA what the IA cannot do to you. Strangely, it makes the game so much more challenging.

So you never pre-buff and never set traps/glyphs in advance? Just curious.
    edited November 2013
    I do pre-buff, and that's why I like SCS, because it simulates pre-buff for the enemies too.

To spice it up, though, I don't pre-buff when there are ambushes like assassin parties, because my characters are not supposed to know about them. But that's of course only a personal choice.

As for traps, I mostly don't use them because the AI doesn't know how to react to them. It makes things way too easy and actually terribly boring.
    I would never surround Firkraag with skull traps and thief traps, for instance. Any dragon in PnP would see what you're doing and fry you to death.
    JuliusBorisov
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    Tisamon said:

So you never pre-buff and never set traps/glyphs in advance? Just curious.

The point of installing SCS is that you can prebuff because enemies do the same thing (If you install the appropriate change of mage´s and cleric´s AI. Also they drink potions.) I don´t know what other people but I don´t use traps. Enemies don´t use them and generally I don´t like them at all. It is to easy to use traps.
    @Castorp

It also saves you a spell slot at level 3 (Skull Trap is otherwise quite useless), and narrows your character selection when creating a protagonist (thieves get the shaft really hard).
    edited November 2013
    Unerfed Skull Trap is amazing, since it has no limitation on the amount of damage it can do. And it's still quite useful if you do tactical retreats, which I often do.

As for pure class thieves, it's true, it weakens them a lot. But dual-classed or multi-classed thieves are still amazing.
  • mackosmackos Member Posts: 188
    The only thing I want to say about your review is that I just don't agree. I love the way how SCS deal with increasing difficulty. This mod is not meant to be annoying. Increasing difficulty by brute force is not the best option. And most important - SCS is not an ultimate challange, it improves the game
    kungfuhobbitJuliusBorisov
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    edited November 2013
    Seems like a really biased review to me. Like if you knew you didn't like SCS' style, but still decided to play it, so you can write a review where you could say how bad it is / how you don't like it.

Well, it's not relly hard to dislike SCS if you play it with cheese and solo. SCS is meant to be more realistic and more challenging, but not cheesy (it actually removes almost all the illegal abilities some opponents have in vanilla). It's also more efficient for groups than for solo play.

The point is, most of the bugs / bad things you're refering to are almost all due to BGEE or to broken things and kits of vanilla game (like the Blackguard poison ability, which is so broken that it even poisons a mirror imaged mage...).
    These things have nothing to do with SCS.

When you're talking about sirines or basilisks, i feel like you don't see there is more than one way to defeat them. Sure, if you like metagaming, you'll like SCS. But you can also play blind and try things. Like, scouting, having a mage with a lot of protection spells ready, using special potions and wands, launching an army of controlled monsters to the opponents in front line...

There are so many ways to play this game, and SCS make you think more of how you can play it.
    Well, maybe not when you're playing a solo blackguard...

Also most of the bugs or bad scripts you're reviewing, i didn't saw them in my most recent playthrough of SCS. There is some luck / random factor in SCS (like the spellcasters spells' selection) and it seems you're focusing mostly on the bad experiences you got.

Lastly, you can't say the scripting AI of SCS is bad, or that this mod is only pure muscle and no brain, until you've played SCS in BG2. The fact is, most scripts of BG1 SCS are limited, because the opponents are low-levels, they really lack of options. An average spellcaster in BG1 has like 15 -20 spells max and is limited to a few levels of spells.

In BG2 +SCS, you have very robust scripts of spellcasters having 40-50 random spells they can choose among a very wide selection.
    velehalathakJuliusBorisov
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    SCS rocks, and I never play BG2 without it.

That being said, you're entitled to your opinion, and I can see why you dislike the mod, but the majority of points you make are directly tied into the game itself, not SCS. You can meta your way to victory with closed eyes and both hands behind your back if you want.

Personally, I've never run into half the bugs you encountered. Most of the bosses in BG1EE were challenging and called for reinforcements the moment my party engaged them. Then again, it's impossible to talk about BG and bugs since the series is known for its wacky scripting and inconsistent NPC behavior.

To sum it all up, no, SCS does not make the game 'perfect', but it sure as hell upgrades the enemies into more intelligent combatants and gives them a variety of interesting tactics. If you want to meta, you'll still run circles around them, which is why I find your review humorous since you're doing everything in your power to confuse the AI and render it broken.

It's like picking on a little kid and laughing at them for not being able to stand up to an adult.

SCS is awesome, but it still can't hold a candle to a metagaming human, which is why you have to restrict yourself since there's no DM to hold you back. SCS, as a mod, accomplishes what it set out to do - namely make the enemies a tad more dangerous and intelligent without resorting to illegitimate abilities or brute-force stat/resistance buffing.

If you were expecting it to simulate human behavior, well, sorry, that's not its goal.

Next time, take a full party and don't meta the game to death.

Then, you might enjoy SCS and what it has to offer :)
    kungfuhobbitJuliusBorisov
    edited November 2013
    @Palanthis
    Palanthis said:

Seems like a really biased review to me. Like if you knew you didn't like SCS' style, but still decided to play it, so you can write a review where you could say how bad it is / how you don't like it.

That's a wrong impression. Or a hysteron proteron, to be precise. I liked the main idea underlying the mod in theory, yet practically it was more of a disappointment than a success from my point of view.
    Palanthis said:

SCS is meant to be more realistic

Give me a break. It's about as "realistic" as the original game. Realism is surely not what I'm looking for in a D&D game.
    Palanthis said:

The point is, most of the bugs / bad things you're refering to are almost all due to BGEE or to broken things and kits of vanilla game (like the Blackguard poison ability, which is so broken that it even poisons a mirror imaged mage...).

It's quite interesting you are referring to Poison Weapon as a badly balanced Blackguard ability, while in fact Assassins had it for more than a decade. You know, PW punches through Otiluke's Resilient Sphere as well. And even if your weapon is ineffective, it will get applied. It always worked that way, but Assassins were much less popular than the Blackguards are (Dorn is to blame), so no one really complained about that.
    Palanthis said:

Lastly, you can't say the scripting AI of SCS is bad, or that this mod is only pure muscle and no brain, until you've played SCS in BG2.

Ugh. Where did I say any of these things? David is a master modder, his scripts are very well-written. And my point was exactly the opposite: this mod is almost all brain, and that's unfortunate. I, personally, would have preferred more muscle, because in this type of game, a lot of muscle is a viable substitute for brain.
    Post edited by Tisamon on
  • athakathak Member Posts: 31
    It makes me happy to see that so many people still RP, love, cherish and respect BG for all it's many faults.
    Bockhorn
    Tisamon said:

Palanthis said:

It's quite interesting you are referring to Poison Weapon as a badly balanced Blackguard ability, while in fact Assassins had it for more than a decade. You know, PW punches through Otiluke's Resilient Spere as well. And even if your weapon is ineffective, it will get applied. It always worked that way, but Assassins were much less popular than the Blackguards are (Dorn is to blame), so no one really complained about that.
    As i said, these are broken vanilla abilities, not SCS. So you agree with me, SCS, is not the problem, you can't blame it.
    Tisamon said:

Palanthis said:

Lastly, you can't say the scripting AI of SCS is bad, or that this mod is only pure muscle and no brain, until you've played SCS in BG2.

Ugh. Where did I say any of these things that? David is a master modder, his scripts are very well-written. And my point was exactly the opposite: this mod is almost all brain, and that's unfortunate. I, personally, would have preferred more muscle, because in this type of game, a lot of muscle is a viable substitute for brain.
    Well, you said that in you conclusion, and it was explicit enough :
    Tisamon said:

In general, SCS is at its best when the changes it introduces are, so to say, numerical, of either quantitative or qualitative kind. For example, Cythandria has stone golem guards instead of puny ogres, and suddenly ceases to be a pushover, or there are much more kobolds at Nashkel mines, some of them spell-casting. On the other hand, whenever the author relies on the improved AI scripts to make things more challenging, it’s either hardly felt (sirines, basilisks), or turns a battle into a crazy glitchfest (Davaeorn, Sarevok’s party).

i don't see how
    "David is a master modder, his scripts are very well-written. "
    is supposed to be compatible with
    "On the other hand, whenever the author relies on the improved AI scripts to make things more challenging, it’s either hardly felt (sirines, basilisks), or turns a battle into a crazy glitchfest "

Just stop te be that way, please. You write things, then pretend you didn't write them. Thank you very much.
    @TvrtkoSvrdlar

which is why I find your review humorous since you're doing everything in your power to confuse the AI and render it broken.

No, in fact I don't. Two battles I have most issues with are Davaeorn and Sarevok's party. The former got confused and started to do crazy crap without any help from my side whatsoever, the latter did not react to a direct frontal assault (not from invisibility, mind you!) for 2 rounds.

Next time, take a full party and don't meta the game to death.

Full party steamrolls everything in its path in a blink of an eye, if adequately leveled and geared (and there is no reason not to be so). Soloing at least makes you plan things ahead/manage your resources.
    Palanthis said:

Just stop te be that way, please. You write things, then pretend you didn't write them. Thank you very much.

Excuse me, but your reading comprehension issues/inability (or lack of desire) to interpret a simple enough text are none of my concern. Sort them out first, then come back if so inclined. Until then, I'd like you to stop posting in this thread (you can continue, of course, but your posts will be ignored), as I find your insinuations totally unacceptable. You presume way too much, and you also happen to believe you know what my true (extremely sinister, no doubt!) motives are. Take your conspiracy theories elsewhere, please.
    edited November 2013
    Very funny.
    Well, since you can write two sentences that are absolutely opposite and pretend they're the same, i guess there is nothing more to add here indeed.

For the record again, (maybe you want to amuse us ?) i like to see these two sentences together :
    Tisamon said:

"David is a master modder, his scripts are very well-written. "

Tisamon said:

Whenever [David] relies on the improved AI scripts [...] battles turn into a crazy glitchfest "

edited November 2013
    Palanthis said:

Very funny.

It's not funny at all you keep harassing and provoking me, even though I expressed - quite unequivocally - my lack of interest in further discussions with you.
  • OperativeNLOperativeNL Member Posts: 146
    It's so late here that I am too tired to read past the OP, but i would like to add my 2 cents: I can relate to your viewpoint, because I feel the same. I just finished the Nashkel Mines and they are certainly a LOT interesting because the kobolds are actually a challenge now.

However the improved mages part of SCS actually made some fights easier for me. The mage assassin on the FAI stairway for example: usually he horrors me, and then kills me with 1 or 2 magic missiles. That's a dealy combination to counter, when you're still level 1 or 2, with hardly any spells or equipment. With SCS installed however, the poor sod casted mirror image and armor on himself, and then he just walked up to my guy to whack him with a stick..

Similarly, NIMBUL at Nashkel, before the mod, he would post quite a problem to my party even though hey'd horribly fail his attempt to kill me. Still, I was worried about taking him out quickly, because he would use a similar tactic as the other guy : cast horror and then magic missile on my main character. Granted, this default tactic is easy to counter by using the Shield spell. However the SCS version isn't exactly... difficult... nor was it "smart". He chugs a couple of invisibility potions and tries to backstab Dorn and ofcourse misses and goes visible. Then he cast an Invisibility or two and repeat the trick. Never actually hitting Dorn. I believe there might have been a stoneskin in there. Anyway completely underwhelming.

I just de-installed the Improved chapter end battles because I heard that Daevorn is actually a challenge with the teleporting around thing he does in vanilla BG, and the SCS just turns him into another mage so... i dunno.

I still like the smart use of spells dont get me wrong, i just feel that the "scripted" behaviour in vanilla was actually more difficult for me to defeat than the "smarter mages" behaviour from SCS.
    Tisamonkungfuhobbit

I still like the smart use of spells dont get me wrong, i just feel that the "scripted" behaviour in vanilla was actually more difficult for me to defeat than the "smarter mages" behaviour from SCS.

Thank you for your intellectual honesty.

I feel that we are facing an Emperor's New Clothes syndrome in this thread: do Nimbul or Tarnesh really work differently for all these guys that feel obliged to defend SCS by saying these mages are in fact infinitely smarter, yet the reviewer is too biased to see that/uses Vampiric Touch on inanimate objects/is a drug-dealer, a cannibal, a paedophile, and a Chaotic Evil Half-Orc dumbass? I don't think so. They still cast Mirror Image/Invisibility and gallantly charge the fighters. Not exactly my definition of "smarter" or "improved". I believe that if something isn't working too great, an unconditionally worshipping attitude surely isn't going to make it better. No matter how popular it is and how much mental inertia it generates -- such things have to be said aloud.

Therefore, I thank you again for swimming against the current. Maybe you are a CE Half-Orc as well, who knows... :)
  • Boston1112Boston1112 Member Posts: 19
    Just to dovetail off to what some other people have been saying, I love SCS. Then again, I plat as realistically as possible. When I go through a dungeon crawl--whether that be Irenicus' starting dungeon or Cloakwood Mines--I plow through the entire encounter without resting: it simply doesn't make sense that I could invade a fortress, raise all kinds of hell, and then take a 16 hour nap without the entirety of the fortress gathering together and rushing me. Similarly, when I plunge into big battles, like the final Sarevok battle at the end of BGI, I make sure I engage him, Semaj, Tazok, Angelo, and Diarmid all at once: it simply defies comprehension that a huge battle would take place and, rather than rushing me, the enemy party would sit, twiddle their thumps, and watch as my party and I systematically hack through their ranks one by one. Moreover, to some extent I metagame with the NPCs: in the midst of battle Edwin might sometimes "accidentally" hit party members he doesn't like with a fireball, Skie almost never engages in hand to hand combat, and Minsc makes stupid tactical decisions by rushing headlong into combat. All of these choices make the game more realistic and, to no small extent, harder.

Obviously, even though you and I have both played Baldur's Gate for a decade or more, we have radically different play-styles. For you play-style, SCS is pretty much a waste of time. For me, it enhances the realism that I'm aiming for in my gaming experiance. For that, I'm quite thankful for David W.

P.S. I do grant that some of the scripts aren't perfect (lower-level mages using melee a bit too often and Daevorn are noteworthy examples). Nevertheless, considering the totality of changes which were applies to both BGII and BGI, SCS still makes enough incredible improvements to be considered an essential part of the Baldur's Gate experiance.
    OperativeNLCastorp
    edited November 2013
    @Boston1112

Reportedly, it's better implemented in BG2. After my somewhat problematic experience in BGEE, I won't fiddle with the AI changes, though. However, I think the, uhm, naked Spellhold challenge is a nice idea, as is buffing the defences of Ust Natha. I also find some of David's balance decisions (item removal/moving into ToB) extremely sensible, so maybe I will install some of those. Pay attention, I prefer the 'physical'/brute force changes again :)

Update: turns out it's impossible to install the changes I wanted to in a stand-alone manner for BG2EE. SCS does a forced installation of a huge "initialize mod component" that messes with loads of things (at least, it patches about 5k files, and your override folder is full of files after the installation of this component). I don't want all of these only to move Vhailor's Helm into ToB and to add drow parties as Ust Natha's defenders, so I'm just gonna make its price totally unrealistic manually, I guess.
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    When you think that mages are easier with SCS, which option of Smarter mages do you use? Because if you install this - Option 1: Mages are always allowed to cast spells instantly at the start of combat -, then mages will start the battles already with defensive spells active (mirror images, shield...) and will not need to waste the time by casting them. Yes sometimes it isn´t much realistic but player has also the possibility to prebuff befere almost any fight.

However the improved mages part of SCS actually made some fights easier for me. The mage assassin on the FAI stairway for example: usually he horrors me, and then kills me with 1 or 2 magic missiles. That's a dealy combination to counter

Ya. All you need is Remove Fear; level 1, and a healing potion.
    Naturally, he will cast it even if you are immune to fear. Hard-counter indeed!

With SCS installed however, the poor sod casted mirror image and armor on himself, and then he just walked up to my guy to whack him with a stick..
    tries to backstab Dorn and ofcourse misses and goes visible.
    Have you, by some strange twist of fate, kept vulnerable party members far far away by playing chicken?

i just feel that the "scripted" behaviour in vanilla was actually more difficult for me to defeat than the "smarter mages" behaviour from SCS.
    It is random with SCS, and in original mages will always cast the same spells. How can something as predictable as original mage scripting be harder than a script which never wastes spells on immune characters is way beyond my comprehension.
    But I see the point, and, in consequence; the mage behaviour you're experiencing is the likely result of playing chicken. Nimbul won't waste backstab on Dorn in plate if he sees unprotected Edwin. If you keep weak characters away, just what do you expect him to do, since he is a thief-mage?
    Tisamon said:

feel obliged to defend SCS

I for one don't feel obliged to defend it; nor do I gain anything from it. Just dislike "I'm so able to destroy anything" tone of your review. If you can, and you can, write a review of a mod, granted - others can respond to it.

by saying these mages are in fact infinitely smarter, yet the reviewer is too biased to see that/uses Vampiric Touch on inanimate objects/is a drug-dealer, a cannibal, a paedophile, and a Chaotic Evil Half-Orc dumbass?
    Can you quote the relevant lines for this, please?

an unconditionally worshipping attitude surely isn't going to make it better. No matter how popular it is and how much mental inertia it generates -- such things have to be said aloud.
    Oh, we've been SCSized. Hell yeah. There was a guy, who used to play like you do - strictly solo, huge meta/powergaming attitude, and complained that scs is too easy. He did, unlike you, know the game brilliantly, while you think Assassins posion bypassed stoneskins in the original, that monks are weak, that the way to use VT is draining life out of funiture and other nonsense.
    You're completely missing the goal of this mod; funny thing, you tell me to read the documentation.
    I love this thread. :)

Therefore, I thank you again for swimming against the current. Maybe you are a CE Half-Orc as well, who knows... :)

No, he isn't. He is just metagaming. How do I know? So am I, and have exactly same mage behaviour in return.
    The difference is:
    ad 1) I don't complain about "stupid AI" since I prefer to give it no options to show it's wise targeting system
    ad 2) I'm well aware of engine limitations, while you're oblivious to it
    @OperativeNL

Of course, I cannot influence your decision directly, but I humbly suggest you ignore athak. As far as I can tell, it's a troll. Don't feed him. He's not interested in a constructive discussion, he's interested in provoking and harassing you. Let's hope sooner or later he makes a mistake (direct insult) serious enough to warrant a forum ban.
    @Tisamon
    Tisamon said:

@OperativeNL
    As far as I can tell, it's a troll. /blockquote>
    As far as I can tell, you are psychic, since you seem to know my intentions. I do understand your anger, however, since I constructively deconstructed (:)) all of your false claims hiding behind the mask of game engine abuses, and exposed your very limited knowledge of the game and scripting process- but it has, in the end, nothing to do with you.

Tisamon said:

@OperativeNL
    Let's hope sooner or later he makes a mistake (direct insult) serious enough to warrant a forum ban.

Why in the world would I insult you?

Petycon
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    Just to be clear: the described behaviour for Davaeorn and Sarevok on this thread both sound like bugs. While I appreciate the support, don't bother trying to defend the as intended behaviour!

@Tisamon: the initialise component is fairly harmless - mostly it's resource-detection setup. The only in-game-visible behaviour I can think of is that it corrects some vanilla-game errors in THAC0 and saves, and you can turn that off via stratagems.ini if you want.
    DavidW said:

Just to be clear: the described behaviour for Davaeorn and Sarevok on this thread both sound like bugs. While I appreciate the support, don't bother trying to defend the as intended behaviour!

@Tisamon: the initialise component is fairly harmless - mostly it's resource-detection setup. The only in-game-visible behaviour I can think of is that it corrects some vanilla-game errors in THAC0 and saves, and you can turn that off via stratagems.ini if you want.

Thank you, David. Your help is much appreciated: I'm going to do some fine-tuning then, since I'm really curious about some of your tactical challenges for BG2 (naked Spellhold and defenders of Ust Natha especially).

By the way, even if my tone is always slightly sarcastic and I do criticize some aspects of how the AI behaves quite harshly, I have nothing but utmost respect for you -- after all, we are talking about a bunch of great ideas and hours/days/months of work invested into their implementation and playtesting.
    Tisamon said:

Reportedly, it's better implemented in BG2.

Considering the way you play, I don't think you will enjoy SCS in BG2 more than in BG1...
    Try cheesing and metagaming less, if at all, if you really plan on trying it.
    And really, playing a full party without cheese and metagaming in BG2 + SCS is quite challenging, I assure you. Tolgerias, for instance, might even quick your ass quite hard, if you're not careful and if you don't attack him before he attacks you because you know he's going to attack you (pffou).

And I'm not saying that as a criticism of your playstyle, you are free to play the way you like, simply as a friendly piece of advice to make your game more enjoyable with SCS.

JuliusBorisov