Gnomes are awfully under-rated!

2»

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    nano said:

The Swiss have an army...

yeah, but that's not why people leave them alon
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The greatest obstacle gnome players face imho is the lack of portraits. Especally female ones at that.
    I mean, just take a look at deviantart for a moment and search for gnomes there: other than garden gnomes, WoW gnomes and the occasional fairy tale gnomes there just isn't a whole lot of them that fit with the rest of BG's/BG2's portraits art style.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2013

Mungri said:

velehal said:

Fafnir said:

My gnome Illusionist/Thief is one of my favorite characters ever.

Exactly. I don´t understand why would anybody prefer elf over gnome. Not only from powergaming perspecitves. Who would like to be an elf if he could be a gnome?

Because elves make great archers or sorcerers, gnomes cant make either of those.
    In Temple of Elemental Evil my gnome sorcerer was such a boss. She destroyed everything.
    Really wish we could have gnome sorcs.
    I was talking mainly about AD&D rules though, not heard of the game you just mentioned though, I will look it up.

Meh, I dont like the sound of the low level cap in that game.

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632

nano said:

The Swiss have an army...

yeah, but that's not why people leave them alon
    That's lame though. Good luck convincing orcs and dark elves to leave you alone because of "friendliness" and "neutrality"... Nope, you want to avoid pissing off these halflings not because of politics but because their legendary farming and cooking skills let them support a huge military of slave races, while their natural cunning and luck and affinity for ranged combat means any fight is going to be as unfair for you as possible. These halflings don't ask for peace and comfort, they demand it.
  • magpiemagpie Member Posts: 79
    @Mungri ToEE has a pretty much mandatory mod (Co8 mod) that fixes a lot of bugs and adds a lot of content. Including leveling up to 20 (I think). Might still be worth checking out.
    Oh its only $5.99 on GoG, yea I'll try that.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited November 2013
    Mungri said:

Mungri said:

velehal said:

Fafnir said:

My gnome Illusionist/Thief is one of my favorite characters ever.

Exactly. I don´t understand why would anybody prefer elf over gnome. Not only from powergaming perspecitves. Who would like to be an elf if he could be a gnome?

Because elves make great archers or sorcerers, gnomes cant make either of those.
    In Temple of Elemental Evil my gnome sorcerer was such a boss. She destroyed everything.
    Really wish we could have gnome sorcs.
    I was talking mainly about AD&D rules though, not heard of the game you just mentioned though, I will look it up.

Meh, I dont like the sound of the low level cap in that game.

It is DnD! and its fun and turn based. It interprets the rules more elegantly than Baldur's Gate but is NOT a better game. the story is blah and simple, the characters are simple, the romances are pathetically easy and the game is sometimes slow. but the battles? outstanding.
    Its fun and you should try it out if you like D&D... but the BG series is obviously a thousand times better, if only because of Boo

Also you MUST modify it to make it better. that fixes a lot, raises the level cap SIGNIFICANTLY, adds a bunch of content and makes the game so much better. I never played the pure game all the way through (thank god) but after i found the mod (Circle of 8) it was incredible.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Yes to this! Gnomes are totally under-rated!

As a gnomish mummy space robot friend of mine was telling us ... repeatedly ... during every stop we ever made ... during every meal ... every travel, conversation or cut-scene ... and sometimes even without stopping ... and over and over again ... oh Lathander, he would not stop even during fights and stealth operations ... anyway, where was I - "Gnomes are a supreme race".
    @Anduin was the best sentry during the party resting as every possible danger that tried to approach the camp was sat down, educated about the supreme qualities of Gnomes, turnips and mummification - and brought to question it's resolve and way of wasting away their lives to banditry.

He once managed to talk down a Troll to sign over his bridge to him.

Besides, their inherent supreme intelligence makes them really tasty!
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Yes! Don't forget that Gnomes get an extra point in intelligence!

We probably, on average, have the best minds and brains in all of Faerun!

Thank you @Southpaw for your enlightened respo... Hey, wait a minute... TASTY ! ! !

Well of course we taste much better than Orc (too bitter), Human (too salty) and Elf (too sugary)... It is just another thing we Gnomes excel at. As an evil Necromantic Mummie of Gnomish stock, I can say that Gnomes taste just delightful and if you remove the giblets such as the brain and heart (put them in a jar for later to make a tasty gravy) then hang out to dry before pasteurising and film wrapping (bandages will do in pinch), they can be preserved to be eaten centuries later... honest.

*mutter mutter... Yes, read and do as I suggest! do as I suggest! Soon Gnomish Mummies will erupt from ever kitchen all over the world! AND THEY WILL OWE THEIR EXISTENCE TO MEEEEEE. THE GNOME MUMMIE OVERLORD ! ! ! Mwahahwwhahwhahahwahmwhahaha!* cough* cough* cough*

*wheeze*

You get out there and eat some Gnome people!
    Gnomes ... They might just make a good alternative to human baby meat.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    I'll say this: upon my recent visit to...

the Underdark, Jan was the only "true" mage in the party since I'm a bard, so Jan did the mage duels offered in the tavern. Even though he didn't have 6th circle spells yet, he managed to kick ass and when his spells weren't enough... he just shot them with his crossbow. Really! Interrupted them like a champ.

The other fights I soloed as my jester. Yes, including the nabassu and the beholder. I was stunned when I pulled it off. She's a human though. ^_~

So, I won't deny the power of gnomes.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Gnomes are delicious.