Skip to content

German Version

Since all other language related iPad threads are closed I open a new one for all frustrated German (or other non-english) iPad users.

I've waited and waited and waited for a German patch now... And from what I have learnd by following the discussions, statements and "promises" over the last year, I am now totally sure: The new "big" announced patch together with full german support (as originally proclaimed) will never ever arrive on my iPad.

An with this said, I am also sure, that I will not spend one cent on BG2EE until a fully stable german version is published (which will never happen).

Comments

• TeischusTeischus Member Posts: 28
    There will be enough (sorry) idiots that will buy BGEE2 when its released in Beta stadium, i bet it will be again in english only, whats ok as long as they dont lie again and tell us its multilanguage
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    German is coming, I can assure you.

That said, I'll allow this thread to continue as long as people remember to follow the site rules. The other threads couldn't do that, which was why they had to be closed.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    alnair
  • archiearchie Member Posts: 2
    @Dee If you look in the german appstore, all of the bad and middle ratings are from customers waiting for the translation... Not a good commercial :( You should definetly ship BG2EE only in a complete state.
    procco
    Here's the problem with that statement @archie. Your definition of "complete" and my definition of "complete" are two entirely different things. Personally, other than the goodwill factor for the company, I don't give two shakes of a lamb's tale about the German translation. And if BeamDog had held off the distribution of the English version of the product to wait for the German translation, they'd have had a pissed off customer in me...as well as many others.

Before you call me (with the last statement) narrow minded and self centered, please go back and look at your post. While it may not have been your intent, your post says "The game doesn't fit *my* standards, therefore it's not done and you shouldn't have released it at all."

That's certainly not to suggest you don't have a right to be upset or annoyed that you do not have a translation in your language, but your claim of "incomplete" is largely inaccurate. Having just finished a complete playthrough this afternoon on the iPad I can assure you that the game is ENTIRELY and WHOLLY complete. Otherwise, I could not have completed all of the quests and chapters in the game.

What you mean by "complete" is: "You should definitely ship BG2EE only in a state in which all of the things I would complain about (such as not having a German Translation) are not issues."

That's a VERY different statement than "in a completed state."
    alnairelminster
  • archiearchie Member Posts: 2
    No offense Illydth...

When I bought it it was not clear it won't include the german translation - it was definetly not commented in the appstore. I believed Beamdog there would be soon be an update - like many customers did. Just check in the comments in the appstore.

That's not fair - and then there was absolutely no communication from beamdog about any plans/ideas. They seem to have changed that now, but for the sales in the foreign appstores it was definetly not a very good idea :(

I also own the PC-Version of BGEE and the originals, but I was really looking forward to do a replay on the iPad. Maybe they get it for this years holiday season, 'd be great.
    edited October 2013
    For me, its not complete because they promised us that german tranlastion is included in the initial release, and now, after almost a year(!) its still not updated..
    Illydth said:
    Then tell me how do i get a jailbreak on my ipad mini with ios 7 (but maybe the jailbreak community is faster in releasing a jb than beamdog the update :D )
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    @Dee
    Some users on the Italian sub forum were asking if the next update will have the Italian translation for iPads as well. Do you already know?

(Didn't feel like opening another thread for this... sorry, German friends, for hijacking yours)
    @Teischus: Um, does that thread I linked require a Jailbreak? iFunBox does NOT require the iPad to be Jailbroken to use. Actually, looking at the thread, I believe it's stated that it does NOT require the use of a JailBreak to do this. Maybe I misread?

Again, I wasn't arguing that you all shouldn't be upset that there isn't a translation in your language. While I didn't pay much attention to it, I have heard that there were a lot of promised languages that never got their translations into the released game.

My only objection was the use of the term "Unfinished". "Didn't Deliver as Promised", I feel for you, "Unfinished", that's a bit too subjective and lends to the opinion that the game is (the other word I see used way to much and almost always incorrectly) "Unplayable".

The game is fully there, fully complete, and can be played top to bottom on the iPad from the Entry Scene of Candlekeep all the way through the death of the End Guy and every quest and zone in between. This is neither "unfinished" nor "unplayable".

You do not have a translation that was promised to you when you bought the game. That's something I would be upset about also. I just see way too many threads stating that person X has heard the game isn't stable or can't be finished...and that's entirely and totally wrong.
    Illydth said:

@Teischus: Um, does that thread I linked require a Jailbreak? iFunBox does NOT require the iPad to be Jailbroken to use. Actually, looking at the thread, I believe it's stated that it does NOT require the use of a JailBreak to do this. Maybe I misread?

Exactly the directory that is needed to change the lang. file is protected, you can only change it with JB..

Yep, I stand corrected in my post above, you're 100% correct. dialog.tlk can't be accessed / writeen over without a JB because it's part of the app bundle.
  • PoeserPubePoeserPube Member Posts: 20
    Dee said:

Muhahahahahahaaaaa.....

Dee said:

Hahahahahaha.... New 1.2 Patch... And no German support...You are just a filthy liar, Dee....

• MikeDeltaHHMikeDeltaHH Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2013
    Dee said:

That said, I'll allow this thread to continue as long as people remember to follow the site rules. The other threads couldn't do that, which was why they had to be closed.

In the next Patch??? 2015???
    Post edited by MikeDeltaHH on
    What Trent and his incapable team of wanna-be-iPad programmers now need, is a real good shitstorm... So, a good beginning would be about 500 1-star ratings in german appstore...
    So, all you frustrated german fellows... Do the needfull...
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Likewise, I hoped Turkish language support will be in this patch, since it is there in pc version. Shame about it :(
  • nsrnsr Member Posts: 174
    I wonder if German iPad users would be happier if BGEE was removed from the German app store? That would satisfy the requirement of "not releasing until the translation is done". But I suspect that would really just annoy the German users who were fine with the English version.
  • MikeDeltaHHMikeDeltaHH Member Posts: 10
    nsr said:

I wonder if German iPad users would be happier if BGEE was removed from the German app store? That would satisfy the requirement of "not releasing until the translation is done". But I suspect that would really just annoy the German users who were fine with the English version.

This is not the key fact! The german language Support was promised about ONE year and most of the german Fans have enough from such lying! No more Cents for BG2EE from me!

• Archie_DragonArchie_Dragon Member Posts: 29
    I heard the new update is ready for download today. Did they include the translations, can I reinstall?
    The update includes the following languages:

English
    Spanish
    French
    Italian
    Polish
    Brazilian Portuguese

As it turns out, the German translation needs a bit of polish before we can release it. You can read more about the status here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/24495/localization-projects-where-are-we-at
    "New volunteers are sought to help update and test the BG:EE translation,..."
    Sounds like we are just at the beginning here?!?

I do not get it....a quite good german translation already exists for years in original BG.. Whats the problem with just implementing this, like the other languages? Where do you need volunteers for? I think most german players would be satisfied in the first place with a text only version. Why do you need more than 1.5 years for this?
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Why don't you write a message to the person responsible for the localisation and ask him personally, instead of being a crybaby and flooding the section with your whining?
    @iKrivetko Why don't you just stay to your own problems, if you're not interested in this topic. The question of "PoeserPupe" is legit: I just played through the german PC version without any problems - actually finishing today. Without any problems. How do we say at home: "Verarschen können wir uns selbst". I think the volunteers ran away, if I read their board - to frustrated.
  • EketEket Member Posts: 69
    From what i understand the german translation includes dubs, which push the ios version of the game over the 2gb limit an app can be. A solution would be to forgo the dubs qnd only do text translation on ipad, or find a way to further compress the audio files, but i'm sure they tried that.
    edited December 2013
    @iKrivetko: Haha...wonderful... Can't stand a bit criticism here, stupid boy? What do you think a forum and especially a thread named "German version" is for? Only for praise? Damn, I wish I could find somthing positive to say under this topic.. Any suggestion?
    Post edited by PoeserPube on
    Again, I'm going to ask people to follow the site rules with regard to flaming and insults. Just because you're frustrated doesn't give you license to start attacking other forum members--and just because you're not frustrated doesn't give you that license either.
    Dee said:

Again, I'm going to ask people to follow the site rules with regard to flaming and insults. Just because you're frustrated doesn't give you license to start attacking other forum members--and just because you're not frustrated doesn't give you that license either.

Thank you again for not responding to the advice from Eket. Why dont you just put in the damn textfile for german lang. It would be enough for us all.. In my opinion, the new german dubs arent very good aswell, so i could have lived without them... but as i said before in the other topic, i think u f* us up again and i will contact Apple support for refund, you betraied us and lied to us for more than 1 Year
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    Offices are usually closed on week-ends (developpers need to rest sometimes too), so Dee wouldn't be able to answer anything more than "we'll look into it" or "I'll ask the technical team" at this time anyway.

For each language, you need to include about 10 MB (not 10 kB as you wrote) for BGEE. There is probably nothing preventing to include only the texts for German, specifically for the iPad version, but I understand Beamdog is looking for a way to include the whole translation, not only the texts. I agree an intermediate solution with only texts would be best.

Overall, the german language has the best support so far since it's the only one that has full voice support for BGEE. It's unfortunate that this creates a problem when it cames to the iPad version.

At this time, it is true that the german translation for BGEE doesn't cover some texts introduced with the v1.2 patch (I'm refering to the texts from BGEE v1.2 for Windows and to the latest beta for an upcoming patch which should be more or less the same as the iPad release). These texts describe special abilities for kits or classes and several other things regarding multiplayer, for instance. They will be displayed in english.
    Here a link for you Dee: Community Management done right regarding translations on a small scale team.
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/234650/discussions/0/648814841534057773/ - I think they described the process really well.