Skip to content

I hate Facebook.

2»

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I hate it too and I don't feel like creating topics about single things I hate on this forum.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    UK residents - The amazing Charlie Brooker just started off his new series of The Black Mirror with an episode on social-media and death. It's pretty awesome! http://www.channel4.com/programmes/black-mirror/4od
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I think a lot of users hate it but they just feel too committed or addicted to it to quit using.
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 50
    I have several friends that live in other cities, so Facebook is how I can keep in touch with them. That is the ONLY reason I have for using it. Were it not for that, I'd delete my account in a heartbeat.

I also loathe smartphones with the passion of a thousand burning suns. I personally pledge never to buy one.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Dr_Atomic said:

I have several friends that live in other cities, so Facebook is how I can keep in touch with them. That is the ONLY reason I have for using it. Were it not for that, I'd delete my account in a heartbeat.

I also loathe smartphones with the passion of a thousand burning suns. I personally pledge never to buy one.

I read your article and have some comments to make:

1) It seems you value or at least use Facebook, which is just as much staring mindlessly at a screen than staring at a smartphone screen. At least with a phone call you're still hearing the other person's voice instead of looking at a pretty avatar. Also, reading your utter distaste of phones, I wonder how you got around to meet with people before Facebook came along.
    2) Corporate avarice: Let's be honest: corporate avarice has been around the very day phones were invented. Even earlier, at the very base of capitalism. Today's world is pretty much all about money and money-related issues, but blaming just phones is a bit narrow-minded.
    3) Endless waste: This is part of most Western consumerist cultures. But shouldn't overproduction of food in the United States be called a 'waste' as well? Also, it is YOU who decides to upgrade your phone. If you somehow feel an urge to upgrade your phone every year to stay in fashion, I'd rather think it's a problem with your mindset and falling for the trap of consumerism instead of staying critical about what you spend your money on.
    4) Endless work: Fortunately phones have this nice function of switching them off. Again, it's the user's own decision how to use their phone and which place to give it in their life.
    Conclusion: You make some very good points, but I also think you are being a bit too black and white. Phones don't necessarily have to be the threat you make them out to be. To be honest, I consider social networks bigger threats than phones, certainly with all of the information we're willing to throw around on websites such as Facebook for everyone to see.
    TL;DR: Ultimately the use of a phone depends on the owner. It is they who decide what to do with them. Let people regulate their social lives on their own.
    Dr_Atomic said:

I read your article and have some comments to make:

1) It seems you value or at least use Facebook, which is just as much staring mindlessly at a screen than staring at a smartphone screen. At least with a phone call you're still hearing the other person's voice instead of looking at a pretty avatar. Also, reading your utter distaste of phones, I wonder how you got around to meet with people before Facebook came along.
    2) Corporate avarice: Let's be honest: corporate avarice has been around the very day phones were invented. Even earlier, at the very base of capitalism. Today's world is pretty much all about money and money-related issues, but blaming just phones is a bit narrow-minded.
    3) Endless waste: This is part of most Western consumerist cultures. But shouldn't overproduction of food in the United States be called a 'waste' as well? Also, it is YOU who decides to upgrade your phone. If you somehow feel an urge to upgrade your phone every year to stay in fashion, I'd rather think it's a problem with your mindset and falling for the trap of consumerism instead of staying critical about what you spend your money on.
    4) Endless work: Fortunately phones have this nice function of switching them off. Again, it's the user's own decision how to use their phone and which place to give it in their life.
    Conclusion: You make some very good points, but I also think you are being a bit too black and white. Phones don't necessarily have to be the threat you make them out to be. To be honest, I consider social networks bigger threats than phones, certainly with all of the information we're willing to throw around on websites such as Facebook for everyone to see.
    TL;DR: Ultimately the use of a phone depends on the owner. It is they who decide what to do with them. Let people regulate their social lives on their own.
    Double post, sorry!
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I find Facebook useful for relatives, friends and finding old school mates.

I don't "socialize" like a lot of people do every day or every hour, I don't play the silly games on there or do the app thing either.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud: well, @Dr_Atomic was talking about smartphones. A lot of the objections you make to not having a SMARTphone, can be tackled by just having a mobile phone. You know, a thing which can make phonecalls and type sms-messages, with a black-and-white screen to top it of. I have a Nokia 1100 for instance, and am very happy with it. Even bought a second-hand one when my first broke down and wasn't available new anymore.
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    Those battery lifes still rock. I always use an old phone on trips and festivals for instance. But then I'd also really miss the handy features of (mediocre at best) smartphone. Being able to check the trains, where I am or talk to almost everyone through WhatsApp can be quite handy. As for the social thing: like I've said, just don't use 'em in someone else's face. That's just rude.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    edited February 2013
    I love my smartphone, it has my calendar, my contacts, my twitter feed that keeps me up to date with my favorite game developers, bookmarks to Wookieepedia, Bulbapedia, Witcherpedia and whatever other Pedia I can find, my email and some very frustrating Angry Birds levels.
    It's not the smartphone, it's the owner that's often the problem. The people who come to visit, only to constantly play with their phone, or who answer everything with "Oh really, then check this out" and whip out a youtube movie.
    Yes, there's a hundred million variations on the same phone, most are completely superfluous. But hell, look at wine, cars, computers, etc. It's a general theme, not inherent to smartphones but to society.
    Your boss harassing you over the phone is an indication of a dick boss or a workoholic owner. Don't want to talk to your boss outside of work; don't answer the phone. There's a really handy ignore button. If he gets mad, tell him you were making sweet love at the time, that usually ends a conversation quickly (or if it doesn't, get another boss).

As long as people aren't being a dick about owning one, I don't see how they're a problem. It's just a computerphone.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    I registered for facebook 7 years ago and then never used it. I only started using it in the last couple of months to track down school mates and family. It's so hard to find people when they move around, but facebook seems to eliminate that problem to a degree.

I'm also going back to my home town for the easter show next month and will be meeting quite a few friends from school as we've organised to have as many people go back there. Otherwise, I don't use it and probably check it once a week or once a fortnight.

It really comes down to what you use it for. I see it as a database to track down people. Otherwise, I have no other use for it.

With smart phones, I have one of the most basic Nokia phones you could buy. It doesn't play music, doesn't take photos, doesn't have a removable memory card, doesn't have internet. Send me a photo? Don't bother, because I can't view it. It's just a phone that makes/receives phone calls and very basic text messages. That's all it's used for.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Edwin said:

Now I am off to read YouTube comments to balance things out.

Don't do it man! You don't know what those people are capable of!
  • ErinneErinne Member Posts: 151
    I don't get the hate for Facebook, I find it very useful for organising events and get-togethers. Much less hassle than calling each person by phone (and if you're inviting people you don't meet very often, you probably don't know their schedule and what times they can be reached), and easier to keep track of than e-mail since all the replies will be on the same page rather than in different mails.
  • YovanethYovaneth Member Posts: 691
    @Bhaaldog I think that can be arranged....
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453

Which is why I haven't had one for the past 3 years. But I feel really out of the loop on... everything.

Well, everything that isn't on Twitter.

Also, I can't enter any contests.

Yup.

A recommendation is that , just do there what you think you should do , don't delay it no more ( talk with someone about something ? ) , and it will get up to "fed up" level easily may be. It did for me. I don't want no facebook now.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Which is why I haven't had one for the past 3 years. But I feel really out of the loop on... everything.

Yup.

A recommendation is that , just do there what you think you should do , don't delay it no more ( talk with someone about something ? ) , and it will get up to "fed up" level easily may be. It did for me. I don't want no facebook now.
    Yea the person you are quoting hasn't been on here since February...

Whats with all the thread necros?
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited November 2013
    elminster said:

Yup.

it is really annoying having old jolly resurrect all these threads from a year ago. could the mods auto close threads that are so many months old to prevent necros?

edit: even bhalldog was around in most of these threads. you can see that user deleted.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643

don't delay it no more

If you know Cantonese, "delay no more" sounds like something funny.
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    I like Facebook and find your thoughts discriminating. Mods please close this thread.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    elminster said:

Yup.

@elminster Thread necromancy is high whenever a major patch or a new EE comes out. For some reason the new members can't let the dead ones stay dead ;)

Anyway I really like this kind of necromancy. Brings some of the long forgotten and interesting topics back to life for a time before the animate thread spell dies out. :)
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    I, too, hate communication, OP.
    Well, I don't have that many friends, and I'm not really an outgoing person either. I'm too busy with my studies anyway, and I don't like being dependent on others. Also, the bigger your social circle gets, the less time you have and the more time you'll spend on keeping into contact. I'm perfectly happy on my own. I don't trust many people either and have become increasingly cynical when it comes to humankind. So, nah, just a couple of close friends and family will do.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    That makes two of us. I like it.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Three, played PS:T?? Da rule o' Three? It sucks. The Balance's number is 7, the Law's number is 5 and the Chaos' is 9.