Skip to content

What if Baldur's Gate 3 goes ahead, what engine?

bman86bman86 Member Posts: 115
It's a pipe dream at the moment, but IF it happened, I think the same engine as Project Eternity could provide some nice results. It is looking pretty sexy at the moment!

Are Beamdog/Overhaul and Obsidian on speaking terms? ;)

Comments

• AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    Frostbite, hopefully
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    That Unity jazz nXile's working with. As much as Frostbite could be awesome, too few games these days are willing to provide that old-school, isometric goodness. Even though I love my shiny, newer, non-isometric Fallout games, Mass Effect, etc. I also still love Baldur's Gate, and unfortunately the genre is saturated with Diablo clones. I love Diablo, and Diablo 3 is fun, but again, we need more BG-like games.

Also, I'd rather wait for Bioware to hammer out an RPG version of the Frostbite engine before they ever touch a Baldur's Gate game.
  • XukuthXukuth Member Posts: 78
    The P:E engine is just Unity, not a custom engine.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    With Wasteland being done in Unity, Torment being done in Unity and Eternity being done in Unity...we might be quite filled up on Unity RPG's soon.

Particularly because, to my knowledge, there hasn't been a game released with it yet so it might be a horrible, horrible engine and we just don't know it yet.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Unreal 4, because why not.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Kaltzor said:

Unreal 4, because why not.

Drugar said:

With Wasteland being done in Unity, Torment being done in Unity and Eternity being done in Unity...we might be quite filled up on Unity RPG's soon.

Particularly because, to my knowledge, there hasn't been a game released with it yet so it might be a horrible, horrible engine and we just don't know it yet.

And what if they use the old, always trustworthy Infinity Engine in which all our favorites CRPGs has been made in??
    Yeah I think they are actually aiming to use a good engine this time.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    @CrevsDaak
    I've heard the devs say, on multiple occasions, that the infinity engine is a monstrous piece of crap to work with, filled with gaping holes and bugs that can be patched over with a bandaid but never really fixed.
    The fact that improving the pathfinding, in Trent's words, would 'completely destroy the game' leads me to believe they'd rather take *any* other engine than the IE.
    CrevsDaak
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    Onyx Engine, Obsidian's engine originally intended for Project Eternity.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Even though I really love all I've seen of Project Eternity so far, I hope they wouldn't use it's engine for BG3 - there are quite some problems with Unity.. the latest version even reacts badly (CTD) if you have a corrupt font for example(!) - not to mention countless driver issues. It's seems to be a very hmmm.. let's say "touchy" engine. I actually would like they'd create a new one from scratch for BG3.
  • Big_MurrayBig_Murray Member Posts: 69
    CrevsDaak said:

And what if they use the old, always trustworthy Infinity Engine in which all our favorites CRPGs has been made in??

Because, objectively ... it's crap.

Come on ... the Infinity Engine is a bugfest, filled with non-triggering events and limited functionality for its purpose. It was built in the 90s and that's where it belongs. Just because some great games were made in it doesn't mean we should go all starry-eyed and start thinking people should be making modern games on it.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    BMW 3.0 Straight-six
    Marathon was a p. sweet game, how come the new Halo isn't on the same engine?
    CrevsDaak