Skip to content

What should i play next?

FelspawnFelspawn Member Posts: 161
So i'm finishing up my Blade (great class) play through and i'm looking for another class. I'm someone that doesn't really like Dual/Multi class characters. i like to keep it single. (thus the blade instead of a fighter/mage) i'm also the kind of guy that likes to maintain some sense of RP, which is why i haven't just rolled a Paladin. the way i play Charname and the NPCs i congregate with just dont make sense to me for a paladin and so i cant play one. Here are the options i am considering

Stalker - NG Human - This would be my fighter/thief analog. Good stealth, great fighting ability with a reasonably good backstab (sure the multiplier is lower but i seem to find myself doing just as much damage, not sure if its a strength or warrior thing). i only wish it had traps (which would have made sense for a ranger imo) i hear the stronghold is interesting

Fighter - Basic single class fighter. i am very curious to try the Fighter stronghold quests (never done them before) and i figure since i always play with a full group sometimes you dont need CHARNAME to do everything, just one thing really well. in this case fight.

Thief (not sure which) - Hexxat is ok, but i don't like her as much as i hoped i would, because of that i find myself wondering who i should be using for a thief (i don't like Yoshimo's traitorous ass, or Jan and Nalia just isnt up for it) so a Charname thief would make sense. my inital feeling is swashbuckler as he would be a good fighter with traps, but no backstab. the Ying to a stalker's Yang. i've never done a shadowdancer or assassin playthrough but i am open to suggestions

So what do my brothers and sisters of the BG board suggest

(note i voted other as apparently i cant see the results without voting myself)

1. What should i play next?46 votes
    1. Stalker
      34.78%
    2. Fighter
      26.09%
    3. Thief
      26.09%
    4. other
      13.04%

Comments

• KharasKharas Member Posts: 150
    edited November 2013
    Go make a Dwarven Defender! You cant get a much better tank than that :)
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Stalker is fine. You make up for the lower back-stab multiplier by being a capable fighter.

However, I would still opt for Thieves.
    The most entertaining runs thru BGEE (+ start of BG2EE) were with
    a) A solo Bounty Hunter - not as capable in fighting as Fighters/Stalker or the other Thief kits, but makes up for it with great traps and easier Thieving abilities (compared to Assassin). Also - back-stab is powerful&amusing (opposed a Swashbuckler)
    b) semi-solo Assassin - poison, traps and back-stab away, but struggle with only 15 points for thieving abilities a level.

If you'd rather have a better fighter/thief, go for the Swashbuckler - they are great.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited November 2013
    id go fighter if you haven't before. Not my favourite class by a long shot but the stronghold quest is really good

Is there any reason why you don't mention Imoen as a thief option? she's a really sound choice. If you do go the thief route though you cant really go wrong I think theyr're all pretty fun choices, personaly ive always loved the idea of a good aligned assasin

• mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    Elven assassin is pretty fun. You basically get +2 to hit and +1 to damage with bows and swords and poison weapon is very powerful in the first game. Thief points are pretty lacking in the beginning, but its enough to get all the traps and locks. Boots of Stealth and the Shadow Armor can help you stealth in the first game, along with invisibility spells and potions.

Swashbucklers are a lot of fun as well.

Vanilla fighters are rather dull. I'd go with any one of the kits. Even the wizard slayer, although gimped, is more interesting than a plain fighter.
  • FelspawnFelspawn Member Posts: 161
    only problem with being an Elf is Viconia, shes my LI of choice and shes not down with regular elves
  • laptopman666laptopman666 Member Posts: 283
    Kharas said:

Go make a Dwarven Defender! You cant get a much better tank than that :)

the dwarven defender is pretty rowdy lol! he can take blows like a boss! :D

• ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    i am rather enjoying my fighter/thief atm. a great frontliner and thief, he can match jaheira on the frontline. i can send him in to backstab before moving the rest of the party, and with some of the good leather armor can then stand his ground fine. then come TOB he can get thief and fighter HLAs. I find this to be the best multiclass tradeoff as neither class gets too much out of their levels late game, unlike a multi mage who would be missing spells.
  • NepentheNepenthe Member Posts: 15
    I suggest a bard - mostly because I've actually never played one in bg or bg2, and after running a reincarnation of my original character through both of them, I'm gonna go with bard myself. I have high expectations from the stronghold quest, for instance!
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!!!!!!! squeak

He is fun. Backstab, cool spells, cool roleplay sneaking around Amn (though I'm not sure how a stalker would really have developed in a small community like Candlekeep)

I'm sad you don't like Paladins though... I feel like since you are doing the Viconia romance, the Paladin would be ideal for the "redemption route"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Nepenthe said:

I suggest a bard - mostly because I've actually never played one in bg or bg2, and after running a reincarnation of my original character through both of them, I'm gonna go with bard myself. I have high expectations from the stronghold quest, for instance!

Bard is great, so great in fact that i just finished a playthrough with a blade ;) so something different this time ^_^

Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!!!!!!! squeak

He is fun. Backstab, cool spells, cool roleplay sneaking around Amn (though I'm not sure how a stalker would really have developed in a small community like Candlekeep)

I'm sad you don't like Paladins though... I feel like since you are doing the Viconia romance, the Paladin would be ideal for the "redemption route"

no no its not that i dislike the paladin, far from it. it just doesn't make sense to me in terms of RP and the storyline and the NPCs i like to roll with. I'm a stickler for paladin rules in D&D and one of them is "will not knowingly associate with evil companions". Honestly i am leaning towards the stalker, and the cool thing is the kit itself makes the most sense for Candlekeep of all the Ranger kits because its a ranger that is as comfortable in an urban setting as a wild one. (at least according to the description and my old 2E "the Complete Ranger's Handbook"
    yeah, i agree, but I meant the entire area. in bg1 before you get to Baldur's Gate you are pretty much in hte wild, and candlekeep... seemed pretty rural to me for some reason.
  • LaceLace Member Posts: 74
    Personally, I'm really fond of dual classed fighters (though I know a lot of people consider them cheesy). You could be different and go for a swash>fighter dual class, I've heard that's a lot of fun.
  • NachtiNachti Member Posts: 89
    Why not play as monk? its a unique class and very fun to play. Monks get the fighter stronghold that you want to try out. Just make sure you give him bracers of AC.

edited November 2013
    I ended up going with the Stalker. As seen below. the 95 stat roll was a natural go go rangers rolling crazy high stats on command (though i did tweek the exceptional strength and bumped up XP to BG1 cap) I also switched to the thief character model, if i'm not going to wear plate i might as well look good in Leather. Also i recently discovered Nixxi_cal's BG pics. LOVE them. my Jahiera will never use the default look again.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Felspawn
    maybe when you meet
    Jarlaxle in the Underdark
    you can convince him that you are a certain Assassin and he will join your party?
    Considering that character is one of my favorite in fiction, i'd be down with that
    I always hated his "official" character sheet.
    I don't like him as a pure class fighter, and I'd say hes far more Chaotic Neutral than Neutral Evil for sure
    pff and officially Goren's Ward is named Abdel but we know thats a bunch of crazy talk.
    edited November 2013
    Felspawn said:

pff and officially Goren's Ward is named Abdel but we know thats a bunch of crazy talk.

Take heart fellow adventurer, for you have curried the favor of Boo, the only miniature giant space hamster in all the realm
  • HafirHafir Member Posts: 97
    I played fmc, dwarf def, bard now 2.6 mage next one propably thief
  • TheodreadTheodread Member Posts: 10
    Try Wild Mage or Bard - really fun to play. From your list, Stalker is nice as well.