Skip to content

What's Good about being Evil?

I have owned and played the entire saga several times, but I have never finished an "evil" run.
What usually happens is, that after a couple of sessions (at most), it grows tedious and I get bored, to paraphrase Firkraag.

The thing that gets to me, usually, is that it feels forced, in a RPG-way, for evil characters to be doing most of the missions.

Apart from the obvious power (especially with Dorn added to the mix), and the fact that Viconia is very beautiful (which is not a reason for starting a game anyway), what is the attraction to an evil party?

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,344
    Never really saw the allure myself either, except maybe to start out with an arrogant and selfish character who gradually grows more benevolent over the course of the adventure.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Viconia's (.)(.)s
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    For one you get all warm and fuzzy inside when playing pure evil. Well, I feel that way anyhow.
    also, you can actually attack Noober
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    You can use Slayer Mode more often? Also you can kill good NPCs like the silver dragon.

I usually run with neutral/mixed parties anyways, I don't see why only evil parties should get to have Viconia. And if there's someone annoying me... oh wow, Viconia, that was a little harsh, you didn't have to kill him for that.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Most if not all of the best benefits from the trials at the end of SoA go to the 'Evil' Charname.

At the end of the day, the 'Best' benefit is variety. If you are a big RP fan like myself, you might have a hard time having Dorn, Viconia and Edwin in a party of goodie, goodies. Playing Evil allows someone to role play that scenario.

In my current play through, I have those three plus Shar-Teel and kagain. We have a bit of trouble with reputation but are getting to the point where we may not care very much anymore.

But yeah. To answer the OP's question, variety is just about it. Instead of picking all of the nice answers and doing all of the positive outcome quests, demand more money. Or, side with Bodhi for a change. Kill Valgyar. Don't track down Irenicus to save Imoen. Do it merely to kill the heck out of him.

But if you don't enjoy that, don't sweat it. that is merely one aspect of the game. There are loads of others.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    So many people like the evil characters since they are all for yourself do whatever you want types of characters, instead of "My inner code tells me I have to do this."
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    niwre said:

I have owned and played the entire saga several times, but I have never finished an "evil" run.
    What usually happens is, that after a couple of sessions (at most), it grows tedious and I get bored, to paraphrase Firkraag.

The thing that gets to me, usually, is that it feels forced, in a RPG-way, for evil characters to be doing most of the missions.

Apart from the obvious power (especially with Dorn added to the mix), and the fact that Viconia is very beautiful (which is not a reason for starting a game anyway), what is the attraction to an evil party?

I will agree with you ONLY in one point, that BG and BG2 make somehow evil playthroughs a bit forced. It's still funny but could be better.

Evil charnames can normally send to hell or kill those annoying NPCs, as Nalia's aunt or the pompous racist members of the order of radiant cross, you have the feeling of really pursue the power you get instead of just surprise yourself with it falling in your head. Some evil items are nice also as human flesh armor (for hexxat) and soul reaver blade. The Evil NPCs are more powerful too.
    I personally rarely play evil. If I want evil characters I'll be chaotic Neutral. The one evil game I played was Lawful Evil
  • NaveenNaveen Member Posts: 81
    Well, for starters, you can say things like this one: "Yes, we killed your brothers. We admit it freely. We drank their blood and ate their spleens"

When I play Evil I usually play psychotic evil [NE] (Planescape Torment is a much better choice for a cold, calculating evil) or at least seriously deranged [CN], so I murder cats (and cows) and say the craziest possible thing. For example, in BG2 a common adventure I always enjoy is to tell the kid in front of the circus to stop whinning about his mother, enter the tent, confront Aerie with "I'm not going to believe a foul creature such as yourself. Have at you!" and kill her. Next you talk to the pleasure slave ("I've come to see the circus, not some half-dressed tart spouting dire warnings!") and attack her.

It's even funnier if you bring Jan Jansen because then Quayle doesn't realise Aerie is dead.

Of course, if you think "evil" in terms of money, items and so on, nope, I guess there is not much good in it, but some of the best dialogue choices are evil, or at least "dickish". On the other hand, if you play like I said before, you'll probably die a lot more.
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158
    I have no strong feelings towards either good or evil... but i usually play any shade of neutral. Though i do want to do a F/M/T solo evil run as a char who is completely and utterly self indulgent.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I think the Dark Moon Monks would get a lot more respect if Shar's avatar turned up wielding a shotgun.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    Playing a truly GOOD character always makes me feel like an insane fool. Atleast being EVIL makes some sense...
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    If you've got a copy of NWN2, this mod is just what you need
    http://neverwinter2.nexusmods.com/mods/18//?

Definitely feels like a love letter to Baldur's Gate, but geared to an evil protagonist.

Some of the best parts are taunting adventurer parties that come after you.

"Why is it that all paladins use great swords? You think they're compensating for something?"
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Because it ts fun to walk on both sides of the train tracks.

I think the Dark Moon Monks would get a lot more respect if Shar's avatar turned up wielding a shotgun.

Or looked like the legend that is Bruce Campbell!
  • RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    i always rp my LE character as a kind and caring person on the outside but a cruel and calculating person inside using the carefully calculated love and respect of the masses to further his own ambition
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    All the cool kids are doing it, like those two jockeys Dorn and Korgan, or the cute girls like Hexxat and Viconia. Then there's Edwin, but you need at least one nerd in your cool-kid group to make the rest of you look cooler.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470

We have cookies.

But never any milk.

• TenreccTenrecc Member Posts: 265
    niwre said:

This is a common misinterpretation of what it means to be evil in the Baldur's Gate series. Evil doesn't have to be a murderuous, brutal, violent douche who doesn't care to do anything unless he's showered in money, Evil people can be smart and calculating and easily undertake "good" missions if just to uphold their appearance. The difference might be while nobody is looking - the evil one having no remorse in killing off someone who *might* have been innocent, because they simply doesn't care.

Think more nuanced.

(Although admittedly, the game forces evil stereotypes down your throat.)
    niwre said:

Not much of an argument there, since the good side have equivalent characters such as Keldorn, and some power houses too...

The biggest asset, I'd say, is the possibility. I rarely play evil parties either, despite my love for Vic and Edwin, but I love that you have the option to, and whenever I do play it it differs from the previous playthrough quite a bit. It's not a better way to play it, just like taking the bike isn't a better way to get to the work in the morning, but it happens that I do that anyway because it's a breath of fresh air and a nice change of phase and scenery. :)

Evil isn't better, it's just different. Different bonuses (Edwin, Hell Trial pickings and Human Flesh over Keldorn, High Rep reaction and Carsomyr), different playstyles (Gold, Fame and Riches over aiding the needing), different motivations (Assuming the position of your dead father and crushing everyone in your path, over fighting the calling of your heritage and burning the darkness in its cradle).

And... let's face it... sometimes you just want to give in to your dark side and gut every single bastard who stands in your way because you ARE the son of a dead god and they are really just being annoying... ;)
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Tenrecc:

I'll admit, with my current run, the guy who you pick pocket for Algaron's cloak ended up having quite the untimely death not long after losing the cloak. I was so irritated on my bard about being unable to pick pocket him for so long. I went back and just killed him (and I was up to 13 rep, which isn't acceptable!)