Skip to content

What music will you be listening to while you play BG:EE (or replay the original BG series)?

AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
I am greatly looking forward to hearing the soundtrack, and that's even considering that I am about to complete yet another replay of BG1.

I admit that my taste in music is narrow compared to many people out there, but when I find something that I like, I can enjoy it on the 1st play, 1000th, play, and beyond.
  1. What music will you be listening to while you play BG:EE (or replay the original BG series)?87 votes
    1. I will be enjoying the game's soundtrack, both the original score and the new additions.
      93.10%
    2. I will be enjoying the game's soundtrack, but only the original scores.
        0.00%
    3. I will be enjoying the game's soundtrack, but only the new additions.
        0.00%
    4. I will be enjoying my own soundtrack(s).
        3.45%
    5. I will be playing without music. (This option saddens the creator of this thread.)
        3.45%

Comments

• ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    I'm starting to think we need a poll on polls.
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    Perhaps, but at least you obliged and answered one of the poll's questions...and a fine answer it is.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Unless they have fixed the pathfinding I will be making my own soundtrack. And it will consist of me shouting: "No, don't go there! Why are you doing that? Don't go that way you idiot!"

But I'll still be enjoying myself.
  • PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126
    @Permidion_Stark
    Dude . . .
    1. Open Baldur's Gate II Config
    2. Click on "Miscellaneous"
    3. Check "Enhanced Pathfinding"
    4. Crank the hell of the number beneath it.
    5. Change the Frame Rate to 45 (and play the game at 1.5x speed)
    6. Live the dream of fast paced BG2.

Also, new tracks of sound?!? I did not KNOW THIS. I'll definitely rock out both.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I'll probably listen to an audiobook.
  • KharasKharas Member Posts: 150
    I will ofc be listening to the old and new music while I smash my way trough the Sword coast. The music is a part of BG and BG2 that were done so well that its hardly done better in any other game.
  • LamorackLamorack Member Posts: 24
    I've heard of quite a lot of people playing BG with their own music... I've never understood it. Not only do I love listening to the music / SFX in game, but I also regularly listen to the soundtrack outside the game. Mind you I am a massive geek. :(
    edited August 2012
    I've heard of quite a lot of people playing BG with their own music... I've never understood it. Not only do I love listening to the music / SFX in game, but I also regularly listen to the soundtrack outside the game. Mind you I am a massive geek. :) (Geeks RULE.)
    @Lamorack : I noticed an error or two in your post, so I decided to correct it. =D
    Post edited by Anduine on
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    The original music will be an essential part of the nostalgia I look forward to on my first time through the enhanced game. It's been years since I've played and I cannot wait to here those old tunes. Plus, new stuff to get attached to. Yay!
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    I voted for listening to the EE soundtrack, but in all honesty, I intend to get a soundtrack of EE if I can, and stick it into my giant Baldur's Gate Playlist ^_^ It's got all kinds of things from Zelda music, to One Piece, to Lord of the Rings, and even a bit of the John Williams classics like Jurassic park. When you've been playing Baldur's Gate and listening to music as long as I have, you may start to have a giant 3 day long Baldur's Gate Playlist too >_> I even have it timed perfectly for which parts of the game I usually will be at when certain tracks are playing. Like starting off with an epic song or two for character creation, then mellowing out once in candlekeep.

... I need a new hobby.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Always liked the soundtrack, with the exception of the battle music - always disable that.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I often play the game while listening to political talk radio (CFRB in Toronto).
  • GaaraGaara Member Posts: 26
    + POWER METAL :)
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Most of the time I will listen to the soundtrack of the game but sometimes I'll switch to metal music(primarily power metal as Gaara said) and Two Steps From Hell epic tracks and stuff like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV13Ar9DnBk
    @Djimmy : I had never heard of Two Steps From Hell before, but Dragon Rider is a beautiful piece. It has sparked my interest.
  • DarsidianDarsidian Member Posts: 10
    I'll listen to the same album as I did when I played BG1 the first time, namely Incubus with Make Yourself. It will be like time traveling! :D
  • StrangeCatStrangeCat Member Posts: 39
    If I had the time I would just compose my own. I find western style sound tracks to be to BGM style for my taste. (BGM=back ground style music) which is a more minimal style to create atmosphere and a hint of motif.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    I aways have the music off or very low when I game.
  • StrangeCatStrangeCat Member Posts: 39

I aways have the music off or very low when I game.

Composers become sad:(
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    edited August 2012
    Yeah...I dont know why I like the music off, I just do....I guess having it in the background is too much clutter for me and I like to hear the ambient sounds and sound effects. Maybe its because I am used to going through life without a personal theme song running when I have adventures :D
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    @immagikman

... I guess I'm just weird then as I expect to hear personal theme music whenever I'm running around having adventures >_> As a kid, I would often hum my own adventure music while playing during recess at school, because the cosmos wasn't supplying me with an orchestra to follow me around.
  • siriuslukesiriusluke Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2012
    For epic boss fights, highly recommend 'Ride Of The Valkyries' by Richard Wagner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGU1P6lBW6Q
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Is this a trick question? Why go through the effort of loading up iTunes, Spotify, or Youtube when you can just load up the game and listen to the music the creators intended to be listened to with the game?

Honestly, threads in RPG game forums like "What Music Do You Listen to While Playing Fallout: New Vegas? I Listen To Rammstein" make me froth with an inhuman fury.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Some mixture of angelspit, otep, tool, slayer, metallica, james brown and stevie wonder
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324

Is this a trick question? Why go through the effort of loading up iTunes, Spotify, or Youtube when you can just load up the game and listen to the music the creators intended to be listened to with the game?

Honestly, threads in RPG game forums like "What Music Do You Listen to While Playing Fallout: New Vegas? I Listen To Rammstein" make me froth with an inhuman fury.

I'm the same. I wan't to immerse myself in the sounds and visuals of the game. Not listen to classical/rock/etc music while I can't hear what's going on in the game.

I really have to ask why you would be playing New Vegas and further, why you are discussing that sorry excuse for a Fallout game on any forum. I mean its terrible compared to any of the other Bethesda games, the first Fallouts, or just about anything Bioware has made.

Sometimes I sub in different music for a game based on having played the original many times over, or if the I find it interesting to play a game with wildly different music.

Paheej said:

I really have to ask why you would be playing New Vegas and further, why you are discussing that sorry excuse for a Fallout game on any forum. I mean its terrible compared to any of the other Bethesda games, the first Fallouts, or just about anything Bioware has made.

Sometimes I sub in different music for a game based on having played the original many times over, or if the I find it interesting to play a game with wildly different music.

While you're entitled to your opinion, sir, I'm going to have to vehemently disagree. New Vegas is awesome, superior to the originals, and I don't regret a single one of the no doubt countless hours I've invested into it.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I'll listen to the game's music like I do with any other game. Music that is not related to the game is distracting to my immersion.

While you're entitled to your opinion, sir, I'm going to have to vehemently disagree. New Vegas is awesome, superior to the originals, and I don't regret a single one of the no doubt countless hours I've invested into it.

Hey bro, if you played it and had no regrets, more power to you.

On topic: But for instance when I played Fallout 3, I plugged in the music from the original and felt the game had an entirely different (and better for me) atmosphere.

Also we just had a reasonable discussion about something on the internet without resorting to complete and total nonsensical bickering. That makes this thread pure WIN.
    Paheej said:

Hey bro, if you played it and had no regrets, more power to you.

On topic: But for instance when I played Fallout 3, I plugged in the music from the original and felt the game had an entirely different (and better for me) atmosphere.
    This is something I cannot do. If anything, I would either put on some similarly themed music, or get a mod that expands the radio stations' selections. Either case means either 40's-50's era goodness or some old school jazz (especially appropriate while exploring Old World Blues)
    Paheej said:

Also we just had a reasonable discussion about something on the internet without resorting to complete and total nonsensical bickering. That makes this thread pure WIN.

Truly an epic feat indeed. It almost wasn't though. I was all like "this razza-fraggin' radda radda needs to go back to No Mutants Allowed and die, grumble grumble" but I took a deep breath and exhaled some civility instead. We might need a special badge in recognition for this one, especially in light of the edition trolling that's been going on lately. :D