Skip to content

Dorn is the best Fighter NPC in game

Im sorry (but not sorry) to say that that Dorn Il-Khan is the most powerful fighter in the 1st and 2nd Games. Im still not through with the whole 2nd game but Dorn could destroy Sarevok even in melee combat. Sarevok has death bringer assault and more health but thats really it. Dassault only happens so often. Dorn has the same damage almost and with poison on each hit. Also if that larloch type ability rings true, it will steal 60 health and damage an enemy with 60 each time it hits which can be cast right away.

Yup, one tough son of a gun. As soon as they made a blackguard which is powerful already, they had to make him part orc and give him 19 strength and decent dexterity.

I'd say at this point, Minsc, Sarevok and Dorn are all 3 the best fighters you get in the game.

Sarevok is really deadly in tob but Minsc is 2nd greatest fighter because (wait for it) the creators made him immune to level drain when he rages making him the most useful fighter against vampires (just as much as dorn)

Has anyone else found Dorn to be weak in any regard or is it just me? I found his quests to be a bit hard for a sociopathic as they are malevolent. Still lots of fun!

Cant wait for Gromnir to reunite with Dorn once I get to TOb. Thats one family that doesn't forget to bring a pinnate to a feast. Don't ask what's in it ;)

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Dorn and Korgan on the same team, however...
  • DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    But axes don't do nearly as much damage as two-handed swords plus the +twohanded mastery is better than shield. Ive had minsc own Korgan in 1 on 1 combat back on original game. They had same equipment axe vs. sword. Minsc didn't even have mastery either. I think Korgan would only be good against imprisonment foes. That would mean he's a situational fighter which is great. I still think Dorn, Minsc and Sarevok are top 3.

Dwarves usually don't have enough dexterity to dodge and if you give them gauntlets of dexterity then they miss out of gauntlets of weapon expertise. That will give 2+ damage and 1 to hit.

I might be wrong and Korgan may be on the list but he is certainly not #1. Dwarves are cool and Im a big bruenor fan but that setup that minsc and sarevok have is nasty. Imprisonment is situational and vampires are more like most of the game. And if you don't fight them with protections you will get royally owned.

Thats actually the reason I ragequit so many times first playing the game :)
    No, @Akihiko, you are not =)

Isn't there a component of BG2Tweaks that gives axes a 2H mode, though?
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    I'm not sure, but I may have to check it out if it does. ;)
    Akihiko said:

Random thought, but am I the only one that wishes there were two-handed axes in the game?

Twohanded axes would be great.

I would use korgan with dual wield but doesn't he become more well-rounded all around with his regular setup. He's more like a tank who can take many hits and deal good damage. I guess you could dual wield him but I couldn't picture a dwarf with single weapon or shield mastery and maybe two-handed weapons.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

No, @Akihiko, you are not =)

Isn't there a component of BG2Tweaks that gives axes a 2H mode, though?

There is indeed - I, however, am too Melicamp to try it.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Dorn and Sarevok, sure, but Minsc? Are we talking about the guy you can't control when he berserks, a ranger who puts points in two-handed sword proficiencies? No grand mastery or other special abilities? A glorious 8 int?
    edited November 2013
    nano said:

Dorn and Sarevok, sure, but Minsc? Are we talking about the guy you can't control when he berserks, a ranger who puts points in two-handed sword proficiencies? No grand mastery or other special abilities? A glorious 8 int?

If he's not the in the list why don't we just state who is? If we know that Dorn and Sarevok and Korgan are, what about Keldorn, Jahierra, and any other of the fighting classes. Can the other fighting class characters be used as main fighters or is it just with all the evil warriors?

Mazzy suffers a bit with her low default Strength, but as a Fighter she can gain Grandmastery much like Korgan can, and not only does she have an innate Strength spell that puts her to 18/00, there are plentiful Strength-boosting items in the game. So yeah, she's pretty great.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    edited November 2013
    Keldorn with a good equipment would beat them all. (and with some chees of course) his instant double level dispell magic is killer, not to mention his true sight. Giving him Vhailor's Helm, and Gauntlets of Dexterity and he will be unstoppable. Simulacrum clones has all the HLAs without summoning limits, so how about, lets see, five extra devas, and a clone with Carsomyr+6 using greater whirlwind attack? In original BG a cleric could "restore" "missing" levels to the clone too, creating a perfect copy... You can also give him some protection from magic/anything else scroll which you can use with the clone as many times you want.
    element said:

am I the only person who rates Mazzy? id easily label her amongst the best fighters

I really like Mazzy too, but she needs a few levels before you can use her as a front line fighter. It's not a big downside because her archery skills are awesome, but it does mean you need someone else in the meantime. Once she has a couple items and some exp she becomes a little halfling whirlwind of death.
    DKnight said:

nano said:

If he's not the in the list why don't we just state who is? If we know that Dorn and Sarevok and Korgan are, what about Keldorn, Jahierra, and any other of the fighting classes. Can the other fighting class characters be used as main fighters or is it just with all the evil warriors?

Keldorn and J are great as well. Jaheira's is much more useful than your average fighter, being a divine caster, and doesn't give up much damage for it because she can still use Belm. Her iron skins make her nice and tanky later on. Keldorn's stats are mediocre but the Inquisitor kit is infamously good. It kind of depends on your party who's best. I'd say Korgan is the safest bet as long as your party gets along with him because his kit/stats/race are all awesome.
  • bman86bman86 Member Posts: 115
    edited November 2013
    Sarevok:
    Str :18:00
    Dex: 17
    Con :18
    Int: 17
    Wis: 10
    Cha:15

Dorn:
    Str: 19
    Dex: 16
    Con :14
    Int: 10
    Wis: 15
    char:16

Sarevok any day of the week and twice on Sunday. You brush aside deathbringer assault, but it's nothing to be brushing aside, that ability is bad-ass ;D
    What is the actual %-chance of triggering it? I know if you give him the Silver Sword or the Ravager between their Vorpal Hits and DB Assault he basically just chunks everything.
  • bman86bman86 Member Posts: 115

What is the actual %-chance of triggering it? I know if you give him the Silver Sword or the Ravager between their Vorpal Hits and DB Assault he basically just chunks everything.

I seem to remember seeing 5% mentioned on gamebanshee forum years ago. I'm not sure though
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    edited November 2013

It would be good to have detailed in-game descriptions about all the NPCs special abilities. For example Minsc's berserk is quite different from the skills of berserkers or barbarians, and I don't really want to check/decipher it in nearinfinity...
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    With end-game equip and lvl, Korgan is the best. No doubts about it.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Yeah, so, I'll agree that Dorn is the best at low-levels, because of his high natural Strength and awesome special abilities. But better than Seravok in TOB? 36 more hp, grandmastery, a faster xp chart, and HLAs (which essentially drown out Dorn's specials, as they can't be used in the same round) make Seravok better anyway. Korgan is better later on too, for basically the exact same reasons plus shorty saves, as is Mazzy (who gets a lot of flack for her low Strength, but honestly her Strength ability lasts so long she shouldn't ever have less than 18/00 for any fight worth bothering with).

And, of course, for general party utility no fighter-type beats out Keldorn. Sure, he can't dish out the damage like Seravok, Dorn, Korgan, or Mazzy, but his ability to render mages irrelevant is second to none.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Korgan should dual wield. He will destroy anything with flail of ages and crom fayer. He has better armor class (rage bonus) even if he is a dwarf. He destroys vampires np (rage protects against level drain).

Dual wield is better than two handed imo. And ofc his hps are great. You duel korgan vs dorn both say level 3. Korgan with my setup and Dorn with yours. Korgan will come out on top. But that isnt his greatest feat.

His saves (shorty bonuses) are absurd and rage protects him vs so much the whole game. He can fix any situation because of it.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Oh and odc more attaxks because of mastery
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Dorn is definitely the best in BGEE, but in the sequel, his biggest stat advantage is eventually negated by all the STR-boosting items. His kit is awesome though. I'm really digging Absorb Health and Aura of Despair.
  • KurzKurz Member Posts: 12
    Korgan with grandmaster in warhammer, and 3 pips in two- weapon style while dual wielding Crom Faeyr and Rune Hammer +5 absolutely dominates everyone else in terms of damage potential. It's late-game, true, but even with Crom Faeyr alone his strength is set to 25. He is an absolute monster.

In my evil play through once I got to Suldanesselar I gave Korgan Crom Faeyr and The Kneecapper and he two shot an Iron Golem on his own. In throne of bhaal, use the HLA that gives him 10 attacks and the Paws of the Cheetah and just sit back and chuckle as he races around turning everything into flying chunks of meat.
  • althoralthor Member Posts: 67
    When you have Crom, there is no reason not to have Korgan using two weapons.
    I give him hammer and axe and he becomes a nightmare.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Keldorn has a AWESOME dispell magic and true sight ability that is at TWO times his level and is basically cast INSTANTLY

Plus with gloves of dex he has basically the best stats in the categories he needs and can use carsomyr.
    Plus he has the awesomest line ever "We shall strike a blow deep into evils heart... there is no more worthy a cause"