Skip to content

The BG NPC project

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    If possible I also certainly wouldn't mind an under-the-table, at-your-own-risk release if the state of the mod is such that most things except journal changes are functional.
    AstroBryGuyStoneSwordsbooinyoureyesenneract
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180
    I second that!
    booinyoureyesFredjo
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    This is the best mod ever (particularly for Imoen... she goes from cute little sister who says nothing to cute little sister who is the BEST and most entertaining character in the game)
    It makes the game infinitely more playable. I mean... its just way too quiet in the damn party without this.
    KavainEmmiStoneSwords
  • randNamerandName Member Posts: 8
    Just wanted to say thank you for this mod and for porting it to BG:EE, or it was one of the reasons I waited until BG2:EE was out before I started BG:EE (hoping it would be working by now) - and BG1 really suffers without it.

<3
    randName said:

Just wanted to say thank you for this mod and for porting it to BG:EE, or it was one of the reasons I waited until BG2:EE was out before I started BG:EE (hoping it would be working by now) - and BG1 really suffers without it.

<3</p>

wait, WHAT??? is it out yet?
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    No.

I'm glad with people in take time to revive this mod, but i will give thanks and praises for the mod... when it comes out.
    @kamuizin

I wholeheartedly approve of your picture. Jason Isaacs is my favorite actor and needs to be cast as Irenicus in my theoretical epic Baldur's Gate film adaptation.
    kamuizin
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    He's a bit old now, but then, irenicus face will require a lot of set up anyway with the scars and all.
    booinyoureyes
  • aquilaeaquilae Member Posts: 10
    I'd give my left testicle for this mod
    booinyoureyesEudaemoniumStoneSwords
    aquilae said:

and my axe
    EudaemoniumVargnattStoneSwordsAvengingExile
    This would make a great early Christmas gift....(hint, hint)
    booinyoureyesShin
    Man, the new posts here always makes me hope there's been some progress. 8)
    booinyoureyesStoneSwords

you want @aquilae's left testicle under your tree?
    badbromanceAstroBryGuyStoneSwordsFredjo
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    edited November 2013

aquilae said:

and my axe
    You carry the fate of us all little one. You have my sword (which no, unfortunately, isn't made out of steel).
    booinyoureyesCrevsDaakFredjo
    edited November 2013

Does NPC Project come with it? :P

booinyoureyes

Does NPC Project come with it? :P

Only if you purchase the right one as well! :p
    StoneSwordsFredjo
  • HesperosHesperos Member Posts: 10
    @LiamEsler I wrote that it's getting ridiculous not because the work isn't done yet. As far as I know, about 99% of the work is in fact done, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm pissed off because in spite of all the work that HAD BEEN DONE already, not even one line of code was released as an alpha, beta, release candidate, whatever you call it. Only then, if there would be ANYTHING released (preferably on a GNU/GPL or BSD license) you could argue that I have no right to be pissed off, since I can finish the work myself. Why there is no public beta available? Let's see:
    LiamEsler said:

I've released a lot of mods at this point, and tried multiple release methods. For this mod, I'm going private beta. The 'more eyes on the code' argument isn't really valid here, as most people have no idea how mod code works, and apart from beta reports probably wouldn't be able to actually track down the errors. I'd rather do a private beta, solve the critical issues (of which I am certain there will be some), and then release a public beta once those are sorted.

Time showed that it's your argument that's not really valid here. You were unable to solve the critical issues, so you no longer have any right to delay releasement of public beta.
    cmorgan said:

I bet K'aeloree and I would gladly accept the port, test a bit, and proudly put your name in the credits alongside the greats.

If that's true, then RELEASE CODE PUBLICLY AS A FREE SOFTWARE, and let anyone use it and/or modify it.
  • prophet1prophet1 Member Posts: 172
    @Hesperos it IS available publicly. @cmorgan posted the link on the previous page, in reply to you in fact: https://github.com/cmorganbg/BG1NPC

So if you want to help - dive right in.
    ShinstargazerbMaxArader
  • cmorgancmorgan Member Posts: 707
    edited November 2013
    Yes, I really wasn't joking. The beta is *not* fully tested, and definitely requires the latest WeiDU, but it s up at github for anyone to help troubleshoot.

Caveat: it isn't released because
    1. we are still working out fixes and testing them before uploading,
    2. we have not been able to set up a good cross-comparison of the old INTERJECT_COPY_TRANSITIVE materials on EasyTutu versus on BG:EE so we are still not sure every I_C_T, I_C_T2, or I_C_T3 is interjecting into the same correct state (it should be, as BG:EE didn't move things around that much, but it isn't tested and frankly we don't want a forum flooded with bug reports that Minsc is saying something odd diring Edwin' joining stuff)
    3. we *think* the JOURNAL behavior now works as we intend on BG:EE but we need more recheck - and frankly, the old Tutu/BGT journals were in a sorry state to begin with.
    4. We *think* Isaya's translation encodings fix works (it does on French) but we don't have a Spanish test.

There are a few things that experienced folks could do that would help. The easiest one would be to install the entire mod on a Tutu install, and decompile all dialogs. Install the mod on a BG:EE install, and decompile all the dialogues. Run crosscheck on each pairing using any diff tool available (WinMerge, cygwin, you name it) and send the results to me.

EmmiStradlinEudaemoniumMoira
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    ^ What the brilliant @cmorgan said. :)

It's been available all along for anyone who cared to look, but it's not something we want to throw out there, because there's a high chance things *will* go wrong somewhere.
    StradlinSon_of_ImoenMoiraMaxArader
    @LiamEsler @cmorgan Are there any thoughts about what's expected to fail in the current version, and to what degree? Banters, interjections and item creation at least tentatively seem to work.

Also, what does the .tra conversion do? Is it just a means of translating the mod to other languages, or did I miss out on something by removing it from the installation process?
  • randyroorandyroo Member Posts: 54
    @shin would you mind telling us which lines to take out of the tp2 to get this thing running? all i'm getting is errors
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    edited December 2013
    @Shin Apart from what @cmorgan mentioned, some encounters may need to be moved (due to changed entry/exit points), some characters' banters/dialogs may not fire due to incorrect references, etc.
    Shin
    @randyroo Of course, as follows:

these lines early on:

ACTION_IF NOT (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~bg1npc/tra/%LANGUAGE%/BG1NPC.tra~) AND
    (STRING_LENGTH ~%initialencoding%~ != 0) THEN BEGIN
    ACTION_IF ("%WEIDU_OS%" STRING_EQUAL_CASE ~WIN32~ = 0) THEN BEGIN

AT_NOW ~bg1npc/conv_tra.bat %LANGUAGE% %initialencoding%~
    END

If on Mac or Unix you'll likely need to remove these instead/as well:

ACTION_IF ("%WEIDU_OS%" STRING_EQUAL_CASE ~OSX~ = 0) OR ("%WEIDU_OS%" STRING_EQUAL_CASE ~UNIX~ = 0) THEN BEGIN

AT_NOW ~bg1npc/conv_tra.sh %LANGUAGE% %initialencoding%~
    END

After that, I also removed the following long list (shortened in this post), but not sure whether it's actually necessary:

MOVE ~bg1npc/tra/%LANGUAGE%/bg1npc_tmp.tra_utf8~ ~bg1npc/tra/%LANGUAGE%/bg1npc_tmp.tra~
    MOVE ~bg1npc/tra/%LANGUAGE%/p#brlt.tra_utf8~ ~bg1npc/tra/%LANGUAGE%/p#brlt.tra~
    MOVE ~bg1npc/tra/%LANGUAGE%/x#yeslick.tra_utf8~ ~bg1npc/tra/%LANGUAGE%/x#yeslick.tra~
    // MOVE ~bg1npc/tra/%LANGUAGE%/setup.tra_utf8~ ~bg1npc/tra/%LANGUAGE%/setup.tra~
    LOAD_TRA ~bg1npc/tra/%LANGUAGE%/setup.tra~
    PRINT ~re-loaded %LANGUAGE% TRA files~
    END
    Emmirandyroo
    I have no idea what removing lines from a tp2 means, so um any help?
    booinyoureyes
  • mesmerizedishmesmerizedish Member Posts: 9

I have no idea what removing lines from a tp2 means, so um any help?

Open the .tp2 file with a text editor (Notepad++ is great) and remove the lines in question as you would any text document.
    @StoneSwords When you extract the mod in your game directory it will generate a bg1npc.tp2 file as well as a setup-bg1npc.exe file there. The exe file is the weidu program that lets you set up and install the mod, and the tp2 is like a text file with instructions in weidu code.

In this case, it seems some instructions have to be removed from the tp2 in order to get the install to work. If you open bg1npc.tp2 in a text editor you should be able to find the lines mentioned above.
This discussion has been closed.