Skip to content

The BG NPC project

Comments

• StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180
    Sounds like we're getting a good deal of this figured out right now! (and by we, I mean you guys that actually know what you're talking about lol)
    booinyoureyes
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Yes, yes, good job my minions!

PS: I'm super thankful for your work
    StoneSwordsAdulonan
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    SUMMON DIRE MINIONS
    StoneSwordsAstroBryGuyCrevsDaakonan
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    jimw884 said:

I tried all the above methods and it installs and the trigger hit but there's no actual dialogue, just a bunch of lines marked invalid.

If you get things like "Invalid: 35844" (or another number) instead of a proper text, it means you didn't select the same language when installing the mod as you selected in the game.
    If you followed the instructions and used the latest WeiDU version, the installer asked you
    Please choose the language in which you wish to play the game.
    If you later wish to play the game in a different language you will need to edit the file weidu.conf and reinstall your mods.
    It looks like you didn't select the right language. You can check what you selected by opening the weidu.conf file in the game directory with a text editor. I believe it doesn't match your selection in the game.
  • jimw884jimw884 Member Posts: 24
    I managed to get it to install correctly. Everything seems to be in working order so far. Thanks.
    WilburStoneSwords
  • darthmarudarthmaru Member Posts: 7
    How can I install it using BGEE only?
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @darthmaru What do you mean? It is a mod for BGEE only.
    It asks for BGII Soa folder...
    Ah, right. Yeah, it would be more correct to say that it's a mod for BGT and Tutu, that utilized the BGII install directory - and it's now in the process of being updated to BGEE. So for BGEE the only real way is to follow the instructions of the last pages in this thread - and then you get a beta version of the mod that may or may not fully work.
    I've waited that much, I can wait a little bit longer. I tried the thread you pointed out but I couldn't make it work. Thanks for the reply.
    Shin
  • G3n0Pl3xG3n0Pl3x Member Posts: 2
    First of all, have to say that I am really glad I came across this thread, I wasn't expecting people to actually still be working with this years later. Glad that this awesome modification is still getting the attention it deserves.

I followed the instructions of the last few pages closely though I think I may have made a mistake somewhere in the process. It seems like it runs fine while in game, though no one has initiated any conversations. I can talk to NPC's myself still, but I don't seem to be getting any dialogue after events like reading Gorions letter. Anyone else had something similar to this?
  • G3n0Pl3xG3n0Pl3x Member Posts: 2
    Looks like I got around the problem, I must have missed a step somewhere along the way.

When attempting to install, certain aspects of the mod such as 'Banter & Interjections' would display the error "macro_tutu_items_to_bgt.tph - no such file exists".

After deleting the references to this .tph file in the .TP2 file, everything else installed and seems to be working fine now. Apologies if this was mentioned earlier, just glad its all working now :)
    Shin
  • DhiroDhiro Member Posts: 4
    @G3n0Pl3x Could you tell me exactly what you deleted? I'm getting the same error, but I'm afraid of accidentaly deleting something important! >_<
  • MorvianMorvian Member Posts: 24
    Anyone else getting something like this?

I attached the debug, but basically it can't open the target when it's trying to write a file to the override folder. I thought at first that it was because I had no override folder, so I made one. That didn't solve the issue.
  • cmorgancmorgan Member Posts: 707
    ...aaaand cmorgan was an idiot and started adjusting things directly on github today, moving things around and trying to deal with a bunch of stuff that would not work on bg:ee because it was referencing tutu stuff...

...so until I post again in this thread, I am pretty sure things on the latest commit will not install *at all*. I am doing things like rebuilding that macro into one that sets the correct items on creatures in all three games. Currently, github only reflects half of those changes, so it will not even install, because some of the old references are not there.

I will try for some more work tonight and tomorrow, but I can't promise anything until I can get one working on my own install and then upload changes. Please don't even try until Thursday at 10:00pm CST, USA. I can promise you you will want to tear your (or my) hair out if you even try right now.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited December 2013
    I was checking things out with Imoen's scripts, and oddly, her class checks in IMOEN.BCS were coming up "!Class("imoen",LONG_BOW)". It looked at the DEFAULT.BIF in DATA and noted that LONG_BOW and MAGE_ALL have the same ID in CLASS.IDS:

202 LONG_BOW
    202 MAGE_ALL

I don't know if this would affect anything but how scripts look decompiled.

Edit: Whoops. This has apparently been known since 2004. Guess I should Google before posting...

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=2436
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2013
    @cmorgan @LiamEsler
    I could try installing it from a Mac to an iPad with the Windows version if you want, just to be sure if it works (hardcore installing :P) XD, I am not trolling, I know how to install mods in the iPad (after ruining it more than 11111.4 times :P) even if they are Windows WeiDU (I must confess was never able of installing a mod made for OS X, despite of using OS X, it sounds funny, but I am a strange madn), also, I want to give this mod a try, besides SCS, because I've never tried them.
    Edit: fixed those typos you make at 2:20 AM.
    cmorgan
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    I'm looking forward to when this is completely green lighted for EE :)
    StoneSwordsEmmiEudaemoniumcmorgan
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    Wut?
    @CrevsDaak, we would love that, eventually - so far, some of the internal checks rely on having Neera content installed, which is on my list to change over (WeiDU now can detect BG2:EE without requiring the characters be installed). But please wait until I can confirm a semi-working regular version - I don't know how other platforms will deal with invalid items and bams, which the current version definitely has (tutu references and ancient bams).
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    cmorgan said:

@CrevsDaak, we would love that, eventually - so far, some of the internal checks rely on having Neera content installed, which is on my list to change over (WeiDU now can detect BG2:EE without requiring the characters be installed). But please wait until I can confirm a semi-working regular version - I don't know how other platforms will deal with invalid items and bams, which the current version definitely has (tutu references and ancient bams).

Having discovered how there is a trigger for the DLCs, I can say they've improved the engine a lot, not to mention other new effects. I still having v1.0.2012, but it is compatible with v1.2 unless you change kits or something like that. And then, I will be glad to help, a good thing to do is maybe trying in old version too, and, well, I don't have all the DLCs, well, I don't have any at all, my runs are 75% solos, because I don't feel that the NPCs are worth taking :P and this mod will encourage me a lot to take NPCs, since everyone who played this mod says that it feels like the interaction in PS:T (still you cannot change to Fighter from Thief in the middle of the battle against Sarevok, but anyway it has nice critics), and I was also wanting to try SCS in the original BG2, but that's another story.
    A note about the "Cam's 2DA Neutral/Happy interjection restoration" (Happy Neutrals) in BG1NPC and BG1:EE.

The Happy Neutrals component sets the happiness score for neutral NPCs to 80 for reps 9-14. The default BG:EE HAPPY.2DA has neutral NPCs be "neutral" for scores from 6-15, but then "happy" (i.e., 80+) for rep > 16.

So, the combination of this component and BG1:EE is to make neutral NPCs happiness go like this:

Rep < 6: unhappy/angry/break
    Rep 6-8: neutral
    Rep 9-14: happy
    Rep 15: neutral
    Rep >15: happy

Not necessarily a bug, but it makes the happiness reactions of neutral NPCs odd. Perhaps this component should be skipped for BG1:EE?

The component is at line 1628 in bg1npc.tp2. I think replacing it with this would work.:

/* Cam's 2DA Neutral/Happy interjection restoration */
    ACTION_IF NOT (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~neera.dlg~) THEN BEGIN
    COPY_EXISTING ~happy.2da~ ~override~
    FOR (row = 8; row < 14; row = row + 1) BEGIN
    SET_2DA_ENTRY "%row%" 2 4 ~80~
    END
    BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
    END

• BlastbackBlastback Member Posts: 54
    So glad to hear how this is progressing. Thank you so much.
    Emmi
    edited December 2013
    Am currently in chapter 3, the mod is stable so far.

- Various banters like Edwin talking to Drizzt, Branwen talking to Tranzig + commenting after his death and many more work properly.

- Branwen's romance starts out properly. Shar-Teel reacts on the party being too benevolent for her tastes.

- Shar-Teel's player-initiated talk only works up to a certain point. She has a banter with Dorn where she challenges him to a duel, but nothing comes of it. From there, whenever you initiate a talk with her she will repeat the banter with Dorn.
    EmmiStradlincmorgan
    @Shin, @vaider's decompiled files show a blank BDORN.d and BNEERA.d... and we don't tpuch them. But we touch Sharteel extensively, so we may have one of those times where we need to adjust where her code moves things. I'll take a poke and see what's up with Sharteel and Dorn. Are you having banters with Dorn in the regular game? If so, could you decompile the two relevant .d's, so I can take a look, please?
    @AstroBryGuy - I'll take a look at the differences between the Tutu/BGT and the BG:EE column values, but my bet is you are right - the rep stuff was repaired/adjusted on the BG:EE side, I think. And that is *not* what @CamDawg's patch was set up to do, so I am including your adjustment with only one change.

Because other platforms don't automatically have Neera content, for future-proofing, I am moving all the Neera checks to GAME_IS checks. So in your code,

ACTION_IF NOT (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~neera.dlg~) THEN BEGIN

becomes

ACTION_IF NOT (GAME_IS ~bgee~) THEN BEGIN
    AstroBryGuy
    @cmorgan - Sounds good. Thanks!
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180
    This is what I like to see, progress! :D Keep up the good work guys!
This discussion has been closed.