Skip to content

The BG NPC project

Comments

• PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    Shin said:

There's still a bit of work to do. With christmas coming up I wouldn't expect a released, fully stable version for some time, certainly not this year.

Is there a rough version out that is considered 'playable'?

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Shin said:

Up to chapter 5 now, still nothing (unfixably) game breaking happening. Sending NPCs to wait at inns seems to work well, though you need to talk to them once more after they leave the party, or they'll just remain where they are (not sure whether this was always the case).

@shin - Do you have SCS installed? The version of BG1NPC I installed had a notice that the NPCs Wait At Inns component was incompatible with BGEE and BGT. It said to use the SCS component instead.
    CrevsDaak
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    @Shin
    Thank you so much! Once I figured out the ... in your list of lines to be deleted meant "everything between these two" it installed like a charm. Now to give this baby a whirl :D
    Shin
  • abc1986abc1986 Member Posts: 1
    Keep up the good work guys. I'm another who's waiting for this mod. I've always had fond memories of Baldur's Gate (both games ofcourse). I've never actually played through with the NPC project - only with vanilla so I'm keen to play through this, now that the game has had some new life breathed into it ! For the time being, maybe I'll finally play through Dragonborn for Skyrim.
  • OgaburanOgaburan Member Posts: 83
    I never played with mod's but I recently installed stratagems, and I realized ive been living under a rock.
    Now I cant wait for this!
    lunar
    @Shin - Did you have Dynaheir's journal fire? It didn't fire properly for me.

I got the dialog from Drizzt, "Perhaps I shall seek you out elsewhere along the Sword Coast." However, the action SetGlobal("X#DynaJournal","GLOBAL",1) did not fire.

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @AstroBryGuy Yes, the quest initiated and resolved properly. I didn't check any globals, but upon moving back through the areas close to the gnoll fortress after rescuing Dynaheir I ran into Drizzt and the friendly gnolls, etc.
    Shin said:

@AstroBryGuy Yes, the quest initiated and resolved properly. I didn't check any globals, but upon moving back through the areas close to the gnoll fortress after rescuing Dynaheir I ran into Drizzt and the friendly gnolls, etc.

That variable controls Drizzt re-spawning for the journal quest. Well, I backtracked to a save before my Drizzt encounter and tried it again. This time the variable got set. Odd.
  • ZanalinaZanalina Member Posts: 23
    I'm having a go at this with the instructions as per @shin so thanks very much for that. Just a little bit of feedback: the additional portraits for NPCS in the game look a bit stretched or in some cases look quite low quality which I assume is to do with the resolution of BGEE portraits. It might be worth either re-doing them or perhaps removing this element from BGEE installations. Anyway thanks again for this mod!
    @Zanalina That is indeed why - the old portraits with lower resolution are getting auto-resized to the new, higher resolution, making them a bit blurry, much like when you use the zoom function in-game. I would think attending to this is very low on the priority list though.
    ZanalinaStoneSwordsMalicron
    @cmorgan - The attached file contains the missing items for BGEE (i.e., the items from BG2 that BG1NPC assumes are available).

I'm wondering what the best place in the bg1npc.tp2 would be to include these items. All but the Wondrous Gauntlets are used by Phase 2 components. The gauntlets are used by the Dynaheir Romance in Phase 3. Would it be best to add these in the required section (that keeps them all together in one place for easy updating), or would it be best to add them to the relevant Phases, so that the items aren't added if they aren't going to be used?
  • marrowjmarrowj Member Posts: 28
    ymmfff,,,,cryy,, i want to start a new game, but not without this great mod, oooo wooe! , wont somebody please think about the children!
    StoneSwordscrxerbooinyoureyesCrevsDaak
  • crxercrxer Member Posts: 7
    Shin is the version you uploaded playable in the current patch? I would love to try it.
    DreamingViks
  • DreamingViksDreamingViks Member Posts: 87
    I am also wondering about that, seeing as how you mentioned you accidentally messed it up abit.

I'm semi-terrible at coding, I just wanna give it a go. I want Imoen to have some personality again ;__;
    booinyoureyescrxer
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180

I am also wondering about that, seeing as how you mentioned you accidentally messed it up abit.

I'm semi-terrible at coding, I just wanna give it a go. I want Imoen to have some personality again ;__;

Actually, I'd like any of the NPC's to have personality again
    booinyoureyesCrevsDaak
    @crxer @DreamingViks Yes and no. The version I uploaded, with the edit detailed earlier in this thread will install properly. To the extent I have been able to test it and up to the point where I'm currently at (chapter 5), it mostly works. And by mostly I mean that there hasn't been any bugs or crashes severe enough to be unfixable on the go.

As far as I have experienced, the main issue has been the special character encoding mentioned earlier in this thread where some but not all letters with diacritical marks will cause the game to crash, meaning you from time to time have to edit dialog.tlk and change those letters. @Isaya posted a fix for this issue here - I haven't tested it, but hopefully if you use his code modification rather than my rather blatant removal, the mod will install properly and run a process that updates the letter encoding and thus get rid of those crashes.

In short, the mod is (so far) playable if you know a bit about editing and how mods work - I wouldn't recommend using it otherwise.
    crxer
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Hmm, I'm using the same version as you, @Shin (thanks again, btw) and played through to the final battle without a crash. Specifically, I never ran into that special character issue you mentioned. Drizzt didn't work properly though, behaving as per Vanilla, but you can't have everything.
    @Malicron - are you referring to the Journal Quest? I had that quest not fire at first, then I went back to an old save, retried it, and it worked. I had chalked it up to a random fluke, but maybe there's more to it if you saw the same behavior.
    @Malicron Which NPCs did you play with? Likely, not all of them have dialogue that contain the concerned letters. Either that or the problem arises as a combination with something else.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    In my experience, the presence of a special character with the wrong encoding in a kit description or a dialog is enough to get BGEE v1.2 to crash. I tried reinstalling BG1 NPC with and without such bad character in a dialog for instance. I don't remember if I checked items too.

In English these characters are not commonly used. However, word processors such as Word used by some mod writers do replace typical characters such as - in the middle of a sentence with one with a longer bar, " or ' with special oblique versions or three dots with a single character with the same visual, for instance. This happens in various tra files in BG1 NPC. I don't remember which ones and I didn't count how many though. But it looked like it would depend on who wrote dialogs for each NPC and which tool a particular writer used.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Ah, the mervelous joy of encoding and charset shenanigans :D
  • DreamingViksDreamingViks Member Posts: 87
    edited January 2014
    Shin said:

@crxer @DreamingViks Yes and no. The version I uploaded, with the edit detailed earlier in this thread will install properly. To the extent I have been able to test it and up to the point where I'm currently at (chapter 5), it mostly works. And by mostly I mean that there hasn't been any bugs or crashes severe enough to be unfixable on the go.

As far as I have experienced, the main issue has been the special character encoding mentioned earlier in this thread where some but not all letters with diacritical marks will cause the game to crash, meaning you from time to time have to edit dialog.tlk and change those letters. @Isaya posted a fix for this issue here - I haven't tested it, but hopefully if you use his code modification rather than my rather blatant removal, the mod will install properly and run a process that updates the letter encoding and thus get rid of those crashes.

In short, the mod is (so far) playable if you know a bit about editing and how mods work - I wouldn't recommend using it otherwise.

Thanks for the response! I just failed installing SCS (LOL???) so I will need to sort that out first. I dont get what's wrong with me today lol :s.

Anyway, these diatric letters, wouldnt they all be easily fixed if you knew which ones they are?

EDIT: Yay for reading whole posts. My brain has taken a leave of abscence today. So there is a fix. Great. I can work with that. Thanks again for the reply, I will do a better job of reading in future. lol.
    Shin said:

I am competent in editing the files myself shin thanks for that. I also wanted to thank you you so much man for posting your version. I really hope you keep doing it the more you get it working :). You saved my BGEE experience lol. I was gonna go back to TUTU almost.!

ShinbooinyoureyesMalicron
    edited January 2014
    yea thanks so much shin honestly, i don't know how long the full version will take to come out i just cant wait. This is such a nostalgia trip, I remember playing when i was a little kid and not getting it at all now i am actually reading dialogue etc its so damn fun. NPC project should have been included or something into this because it really is a professionally done mod. They now need Planescape Torment: EE wow i would be so happy haha.
    booinyoureyesMalicronStoneSwordsCrevsDaak
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    It's my impression or everyone started to adapt BG NPC project, from bits to bits?
    booinyoureyes
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    I would humbly like to join the people waiting on this mod. Back in the day I played BG2 multiple times before playing BG1, and I guess I got spoiled because I always wished it was deeper. ;)

Hope it's ready when I finish my current playthrough of BG2EE lol. I wish I could help... I've been wanting to build a mod for a while but seeing some of the work you guys do onn this makes me think I need more practice. :)
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180
    edited January 2014
    Sjerrie said:

I would humbly like to join the people waiting on this mod. Back in the day I played BG2 multiple times before playing BG1, and I guess I got spoiled because I always wished it was deeper. ;)

Hope it's ready when I finish my current playthrough of BG2EE lol. I wish I could help... I've been wanting to build a mod for a while but seeing some of the work you guys do onn this makes me think I need more practice. :)

@Sjerrie Hey you gotta start somewhere, just like they did way back in the day. I say go for it, maybe you'll make something truly unique, that everyone will consider as a must have mod one day :)
    ShinAdulSjerrieCrevsDaak
  • JinxPLJinxPL Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2014
    Would it be too much to ask for, if someone posted the most recent version of the mod, with all the fixes from this thread already applied?

I'd be forever grateful.
    EmmiArdulCrevsDaak
This discussion has been closed.