Skip to content

The BG NPC project

Comments

• PiotyrPiotyr Member Posts: 1
    Ok looking through this thread I see that you can install the mod now but it is not in working order without many work arounds (Console commands and script edits) so my question is, is there a buglist/workaround list that I can look at anywhere? Or am I entirely wrong?
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180
    Did you download the file off github, then replace the TP2 like described earlier in the thread before installing like normal? Also helps to make sure you have the latest version of weidu in your game folder so it automatically updates everytime. Went off for me without a hitch that way
  • beeb240beeb240 Member Posts: 3
    No, I didn't. I had thought that I'd read that the github tp2 had been updated to reflect the changes. I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Did you download the file off github, then replace the TP2 like described earlier in the thread before installing like normal? Also helps to make sure you have the latest version of weidu in your game folder so it automatically updates everytime. Went off for me without a hitch that way

If that doesn't work, @Shin is probably a better person to ask since he's the one that got this whole ball rolling lol
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    The github version should install properly, though I haven't tested it myself. It may not yet be ready for all the various configurations of EE installs. Failing that, editing out the pieces of code mentioned in this post like @StoneSwords says should do the trick, but might cause other issues as detailed earlier in this thread.
  • beeb240beeb240 Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2014
    Thanks, Shin. At first it crashed because there was an unterminated comment line--that was easy enough to fix. After that it crashes and puts this in the logfile:

WeiDU v 23600 Log

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\setup-bg1npc.exe
    [./chitin.key] loaded, 498152 bytes
    [./chitin.key] 197 BIFFs, 35164 resources

[BG1NPC.TP2] PARSE ERROR at line 5556 column 1-20
    Near Text: LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO
    GLR parse error

[BG1NPC.TP2] ERROR at line 5556 column 1-20
    Near Text: LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO
    Parsing.Parse_error
    ERROR: parsing [BG1NPC.TP2]: Parsing.Parse_error
    ERROR: problem parsing TP file [BG1NPC.TP2]: Parsing.Parse_error

FATAL ERROR: Parsing.Parse_error

WeiDU Timings
    unmarshal KEY 0.000
    parsing .log files 0.000
    loading files 0.000
    stuff not covered elsewhere 0.016
    Parsing TP2 files 0.031
    TOTAL 0.047

In the interim, I'm going to try to install the file you pointed me to. Thanks again!

EDIT: It installed without error once I made the following changes to the latest tp2 file that Shin posted:

1. Changed references to the macro
    ~tutu_items_to_bgt~ located in bg1npc/lib/macro_tutu_items_to_bgt.tph
    to
    ~convert_tutu_items_bgt_bgee~ located in bg1npc/lib/cmorgan_project_macros.tpa

2. Changed references to the file
    bg1npc/phase2/baf/x#kabnd2.baf
    to
    bg1npc/phase2/baf/x#kaband.baf (and any reference to "kabnd2" to "kaband")
    Post edited by beeb240 on
  • TenxsTenxs Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2014
    first, i would like to thank everyone here who is dedicating his time and effort to make this mod compatible with bg:ee. it is the best mod for bg1 (in my opinion) and i find it to be absolutely vital for enjoying the game.

i am wating since dec 2012 for this mod to be released and right now i am just curious in which state of progress it is. can someone express it maybe in percent? unfortunately i am not familiar with script editing or the console. i mean, i have tried it before but i think it is ruining the atmosphere of the game a bit when i have to work out things first in the script and console. i basically rely on the finished mod, before i want to start with bg1. :( and of course i don't want to start bg2 without a character i already played in bg1. yeah, i guess i am a bit fussy about it. but still... a short comment on the progress would be great.

thanks again, i really appreciate every minute of the time you invest to make the game for players like me even greater.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Tenxs said:

i am wating since dec 2012 for this mod to be released and right now i am just curious in which state of progress it is. can someone express it maybe in percent?

Can't really express that in a meaningful way as it depends mostly on how much (spare) time/effort the people involved have left to spend on it. Early testing indicates the mod "mostly works" (without causing unfixable crashes), but there is still a fair bit of finetuning and more testing to do before it'll resemble anything that can be officially released. Right now both cmorgan and Liam appear to be occupied with other things, so I wouldn't expect a finished mod anytime soon (not for a couple of months at least) until that changes.
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    Hi there, I've been "ghosting" these boards for a while now and have been wondering, Will the final version of BG NPC Project require Weidu and all the fancy pants modding stuff or will it be a simple case of chucking things in the override folder?

I only ask because I still own the original BG and I can probably live without the new NPCs in BG:EE (bit of a shame to miss Dorn but ach well) and if i still have to go through the hours of getting this to work properly then I feel i might be better off just installing the original.

I apologise if my post seems ignorant I am just quite eager to try out this NPC project that everyone speaks so highly of. I never gave them a go back in the day as a lot of them weren't complete and the processes involved in installing them seemed like a bit of a Russian roulette for someone who doesn't understand code/modding.

This NPC project from what i can gather seems to bring together many of the best (NPC) mods into one package with testified reliability (BG:non-enhanced) which would be exactly what a noob modder like myself would be looking for :)

Alternatively is there a guide anywhere with load-orders for rated/recommended mods anywhere I could look at for either BG:EE or BG1? Again apologies for the long noobish post and respect to the folks who are going to the effort of converting these mods in their own time.
    Well, most of these mods have been using weidu since way back in the day before BGEE was even a thought in anyone's head lol, so I can guarantee the final version will use the latest version of weidu to install. Even for someone like myself who has no coding knowledge to rely on, weidu is really easy to use. It basically automates the install of your mod, and all you do is answer occasional questions (usually yes or no answers) about whether to install a certain component or not. Really, the hardest thing about applying mods to your game is getting the install order right, and all you'd have to do is pick out the mods you want and ask the question on this forum. It would all depend on what mods you want. Someone will be willing to help you out. If you're looking for a list of mods, you can refer to these 2 threads:
    BG:EE
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/15380/bg-ee-mods-and-modding-tutorials-quick-links/p1

BG2:EE
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23726/bgii-ee-compatible-mod-list/p1
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    jobby said:

This NPC project from what i can gather seems to bring together many of the best (NPC) mods into one package with testified reliability (BG:non-enhanced) which would be exactly what a noob modder like myself would be looking for :)

That's... really not what the BG NPC Project is.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg1npc/
    edited February 2014
    Well I got the impression some of the content had been taken from previous mods as i seem to remember a Dynaheir romance from before BG NPC, unless they were different?

Also does Weidu work ok with Steam? I realise this probably isn't the correct place to ask this question, it's just I've noticed a lotta people flagging problems.

Cheers for the advice StoneSwords I'm definitely gonna give this a go I just can't decide if I should wait for some specific EE compatible mods to be released or give up on EE for the time being.
    edited February 2014
    @ SwordStones

Omg, I just installed a bunch of mods for IWD (in order from a recommended list) and came to discover that Weidu is just a DOS format installer, I seriously thought it was crazy shit like wyre bash for Oblivion, I'm far more enthused about the prospect of modding now, I wish I had discovered this years ago haha.
    @jobby Lol, welcome to the world of IE modding, enjoy your stay! :P
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    Ahh now IWD starts itching again too. :P Can you link that list @jobby?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @jobby just a hint about how the forum works. When tagging someone the @ must be part of the name with no spaces or it won't work. For instance, to tag me, the correct would be @mlnevese and not @ mlnevese. I would never be notified about the second.

Also welcome to the modding world. You'll never go back :)
  • beobeo Member Posts: 143
    This is taking unexpectedly long. Would be nice if we could play it around time when next patch comes out.
    @Sjerrie

http://www.gog.com/forum/icewind_dale/iwd_mod_guide_install_order/page1

Fairly comprehensive list as far as I can tell, the only one it misses is IWD in BG2 which although apparently playable seems to be in an eternal state of BETA..

Side note regarding One Pixel Productions Animation Fixes for IWD:TotLM, for some reason the installer wouldn't install all the components at once for me, it wasn't a problem it just meant I had to go into it three separate times for each component don't know if this will be the case for anyone else.

@mlnevese Cheers for the tip!

Re. the NPC mods they really do add a lot to the game (especially the IWD series given the lack of interaction), Admittedly the IWD 1 one is a touch cheesy but fun none-the-less :)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @jobby In time you learn to have fun even with the somewhat cheesy ones ;)
  • JaggedJagged Member Posts: 105
    I hate to post this because I know I am just ignorant of how these things work but here I go. I loved this mod years ago and I would really like to give it another go. I have downloaded the file and put it in the BGEE folder. However, I get the error of unable to find chitin.key whenever I run it. I can't seem to find a solution online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  • AWizardDidItAWizardDidIt Member Posts: 197
    edited February 2014
    I had the same issue as you with it saying it couldn't find the chitin.key. Then I installed the tweak pack and tried again and there was some kind of parsing error when running the exe. Which is kind of a bummer because a friend of mine who had never played this series before wanted to play an MP game with me and I've been trying to make them wait until this mod is in working state before we dive in... I want her to get the full experience playing the game "right" the first time through with talkative npcs.

Oh well! Unfinished mod is unfinished. Just gives me and her another excuse to go through it again someday again. I do really appreciate those of you working to get this thing in shape for EE.
  • randyroorandyroo Member Posts: 54
    Is this mod been dropped or is it still ongoing?
  • VetrilVetril Member Posts: 22
    I surely hope it's still beling developed!
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    Looks like it will be "Duke Nukem Forever" of modding :)
  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263
    The version and procedure that Shin described work guys. I am currently playing a game with SCS, NPC project, Tweaks, Speel revisions, kit revisions and other custom stuff.

I am already in Baldur's gate and so far only bug I've encountered is weird text that enemy rarely shout in battle.
  • DurothDuroth Member Posts: 17
    @randyroo @Vetril @Xzar guys the modders that are working for this mod also have real lives.
    CMorgan & Liam
    Liam was the main one taking over the project at last report... that was long ago.
    He also has many many projects also in the works as well as a job that keeps him busy.
    I personally have been playing BGT and Tutu. I love this mod as almost everyone who has played it. There are MANY versions out there currently of this mod for EE but nothing is a stable working version. If you want to play the mod ask around and read ALL of this forum you will find a way to play this mod on EE if you wish. But posting, this mod will never get done, Will ONLY delay this mod even further.

Just my opinion But I say be patient. Or just play and enjoy BGT/Tutu.
  • jdemastjdemast Member Posts: 35
    Does anyone know if the Shar-Teel romance feature works on the EE beta version?
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    I think it may be time to admit defeat. I've been trying for hours to even get the most basic start on getting BGNPC to work with little luck. It tells me the dialog.tlk isn't there, I tried the whole "getting mods to work in BGEE" thing with the command prompt and mklink and all I get is "system cannot find the path specified". I tried messing with WeiDu but can't seem to figure that out either. I never tried this mod before and it sounds amazing, I really want to give it a go but can't even seem to get the simpliest stuff working. I have v20 on my computer, I event tried experimentally moving the dialog.tlk to my main directory, thinking I might be able to copy paste it back, but then it just kept telling me the installation didn't work and sent me back to the previous installation menu.

This is frustrating me to no end. Is there a simple solution I'm simply missing? Something I glossed over in my haste to try this mod? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm begining to grind my teeth over here with my own inability to figure this out and I like my teeth not being ground into a fine powder.
  • wolpakwolpak Member Posts: 390
    Try moving your dialog.tlk to your root install folder and rerun.
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    edited March 2014
    @Wolpak As I said before, I did that. Let me share a screen of what happens.

I would try skipping this step but the words "required modifications" is there, kinda looming ominously.

Edit:Wait wait. I might be an idiot. I don't have any of those things installed that its suggestion I install in. I suppose I just grew so frustrated I didn't even look properly. I apologize and will now give it a try again. Though I'm wondering why its asking for my BG2 install directory.

No such luck. Same error even after installing Tutu and using the BG2 directory. EasyTuTu I can't even get to install because it won't recognize my install directory.
    Post edited by Necomancer on
This discussion has been closed.