Skip to content

The BG NPC project

Comments

• crxercrxer Member Posts: 7
    mine is working great i got the one shin uploaded then edited the file he told me to edit. Works great, makes my experience so much better :).
  • JinxPLJinxPL Member Posts: 4
    Could you perhaps post me your fixed version, please?

I'd really appreciate it.
  • crxercrxer Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2014
    It's the exact same version Shin uploaded with the edit that he said to make. Basically you just edit the file in notpead++ but ill post my version :). Its working good a couple of minor bugs that don't bother me much. Shins version basically works great for me. Try it out, and do the simple edit.
  • Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    @LiamEsler or @anyone-else-whom-is-working-on-this (probably wrong grammar yes? :P )

Is there any progress yet to report for a final EE version? From what little I can understand, it all sounds very promising :)
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    There's still a fair bit to go, including proper testing. It's looking like I'll have to throw in the towel for now, as the next four months are going to be crazy, but if y'all and the ever-excellent @cmorgan haven't got it working by the time I'm back from Irvine, I'll be back and making sure everything's working.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    If say, we happen to cheat and use the version posted in this thread to get it working... should we post actual bug reports here, or do you guys want the bug reports to come from actual real testers rather then goofs with a file? >.>
  • JinxPLJinxPL Member Posts: 4
    crxer said:

It's the exact same version Shin uploaded with the edit that he said to make. Basically you just edit the file in notpead++ but ill post my version :). Its working good a couple of minor bugs that don't bother me much. Shins version basically works great for me. Try it out, and do the simple edit.

Thank you! I am eagerly awaiting it.

Could you also point out some of the bugs (just so that I am prepared for the ride)?
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    @JinxPL I've played around with said version for a bit - I'm currently before the bandit camp with the canon party and I think the only bug I've noticed so far was pretty minor: if Jaheira is present when you deliver the requested book to Firebead Elvenhair in his Beregost home, you will not receive the scroll case that is normally rewarded for that quest in BG:EE.

I'm not very well-versed in BG1NPC so I possibly might have missed some other bugs, though.
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180
    Adul said:

@JinxPL I've played around with said version for a bit - I'm currently before the bandit camp with the canon party and I think the only bug I've noticed so far was pretty minor: if Jaheira is present when you deliver the requested book to Firebead Elvenhair in his Beregost home, you will not receive the scroll case that is normally rewarded for that quest in BG:EE.

I'm not very well-versed in BG1NPC so I possibly might have missed some other bugs, though.

He just gives you back the book you brought him in the first place, but you still get the experience at least
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @Adul - its not just the presence of Jahiera. Firebead's dialog file was re-written for BGEE, so the changes that BG1NPC makes don't work (the dialogs are in a different order in the file). I've submitted a patch, so it should be fixed in a future release.
  • KelzornKelzorn Member Posts: 3
    It's good to know it's coming along, because without it BG1 is just really bland. It's astonishing how quickly one adapts to the luxury of this mod, and if you played it once - you'll always want it on your install :)

-> I'll just go through a vanilla small party run, it's been ages since a proper playthrough for me. but as others said, the real deal will be when npc project is adapted.

so thx for all guys working on this magnificent mod!
  • KelzornKelzorn Member Posts: 3
    Yes, i've also installed the version posted here, just couldn't play without it! better a flawed npc project than none.
  • TrazzyTrazzy Member Posts: 6
    Hmmmm.... I think I may be grabbing the wrong version or using the wrong fix. I'm decently competent with computers, but I'm not having any luck. Can someone point me to the correct posts for the base code and the fix?--I'm getting lost in the different versions posted to this thread.
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180
    @Shin posted up his version of the tp2 that has the appropriate changes you'll need to get started. Just download the version on github, and then replace the tp2 with Shin's, then install like normal (using the latest version of weidu that is). I will warn you, that you might need to make use of the CLUA console occasionally though while playing.
  • TrazzyTrazzy Member Posts: 6
    Thanks! I think I have it all figured out now! I should be able to handle the CLUA console occasionally-totally worth it for an early shot at a mod like this!
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I should mention that the console may not be enough. There isn't full coverage of what appears to cause problems and what doesn't, but there has been at least some crashes related to "special" letters with diacritical marks (including some in my own game), whereas other players seem to have been unaffected by them. Even so, if you get such issues you will need some dialog.tlk editing (or permanent avoidance of the dialogue that includes the guilty letters).
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    Just a random thought @Shin, but I suppose it couldn't just be as simple as changing the character sets of the complete file(s) instead of changing just the special letters?
    @Sjerrie Yes it would - @Isaya originally did just this (converting the characters so the game could display them), but there was a flaw in the code and it didn't work for the PC version of the game - he posted a fix for that here. I'm not sure if the fix is part of the github version yet, and haven't tested installing it, but presumably utilizing the code detailed in his post rather than my edit (which just removes the part that does the conversion) should allow the mod to install with proper, non-crash-initiating characters.
  • QueynosQueynos Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 127
    Not sure if already noted but there is a typo in Tazok script tazok.bcs, there are lines checking for kivan presence to remove tazok invunerability item but they read
    ActionOverride("tazok",DestroyItem("minhp1"))
    while the item is called mihp1, (so the line should read ActionOverride("tazok",DestroyItem("mihp1")) )
    Right now if kivan is in your group tazok doesn't flee at 50% HP but is still unkillable, you fight forever.
    @Queynos Aye, it was covered earlier in the thread. The problem is basically that depending on which type of install is used (BGT, Tutu, etc), the minhp item assigned to Tazok will have a different name, and then the script used to destroy it of course has to use the same name. That's one of the things not working properly in the EE install yet.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @Shin The fix was approved by cmorgan and included in the main repository a few days after we talked about it here. From the file history, it is up since the 1st of December.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Hm... okay. I'm about to start BG1 again. Should I install the version in this thread, then put in Shin's fixes, then change the tpu to what Isaya fixed, then change the Tazok script if I'm planning on bringing Kivan anywhere near Tazok, and then try it and see how it goes? I'm find with having to CluaConsole, but I could do without random character crashes.
    @Twani Get the version from github linked earlier in the thread. Ideally it shouldn't need any fixing in order to install, and should take care of the special character related crashes. Tazok's minhp and other assorted bugs you'll have to work out as you go along though. Workaround-wise, changing the script, changing the item and removing the item all take care of Tazok not removing it on his own.
  • RoarRoar Member Posts: 41
    edited January 2014
    sorry wat is github? Do you mind linking again?

• RoarRoar Member Posts: 41
    many and big thanks to you!
  • beeb240beeb240 Member Posts: 3
    I'm getting various parse errors when I try to install. One of them was an unterminated comment but now it's choking on

LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO ~convert_tutu_items_bgt_bgee~

Is anyone else having this problem? I'm sorry to bother people here; but I haven't played this since I bought it in October because I was waiting for this mod--I don't think I can't bring myself to wait an additional four months or so. I appreciate any help given.
  • SrenSren Member Posts: 24
    So, is there an update for this mod? I can't play BG without my Xan romance to comfort me :(
This discussion has been closed.