Skip to content

[Resource Pack] Extended Animations

Comments

• MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited November 2013
    Ok, cheers.

The BG1 animations do not support dual wield, yeah. It is a known issue. They were not designed with dual wielding in mind.

In infinity animations, we just used them when we wanted to make characters that looked like the old animations, but didn't dual wield.

Ok, i have no idea how to install the BG1 animations, i put them in the override category, but i can't find them anywhere, or in EEkeeper to set them as an animation.

Also when i try to install extended animations, i get an error from ExtendedAnimations.tp2 and repaletted. Not sure what i'm doing wrong, or what i'm supposed to do exactly either ;x
    Post edited by Mornmagor on
  • viaderviader Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 875
    edited November 2013
    @Mornmagor Wait, wait wait :)

1.) You have BG1 animations if you put them to override animations, almost... There are two animations for paladin and cleric, which wasn't included to BG2. If I find slots for them then it will be works. Enough add one entry in ANIMATION.IDS and one in EXTANIM.2da I was curious if you see diffrent in warrior, mage or thief animations from BG1 :)

2.) I check instalation twice, yesterday. I noticed, that to instalation pack, must be 1GB free space on disc, and sometimes I get crash from bams.exe, but it doesn't break instalation pack.

So, you get two diffrent error one from ExtendedAnimations and one from bams.exe?

If you get error from weidu (setup-ExtendedAnimations) please send me file
    SETUP-EXTENDEDANIMATIONS.DEBUG
    If you get error from bams.exe (in repaletted process), I update file 'bams.exe' on dropbox, please download it and check again. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bhnpq7dirze1iwn/bams.exe
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited November 2013
    So, i just put the files from the BG1animation folder into override.

Then put what files into the game directory? The setup-extendedanimations.exe file, the bam.exe file, the ExtendedAnimations.tp2, work-files.csv and repaletted.bat?

Do i need any other files, or anything else in override?

I tried again : it says Error : Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "ExtendedAnimations/repaletted")
  • zenblackzenblack Member Posts: 100
    I may not be seeing it, but is this a finished mod that can be used in BG:EE or BG2:EE al la Infinity Animations, or is it just a modder's resource at this point that needs to wait for someone to bundle it up and assign it to creatures in game?
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,178
    I too can't make BG1animations to work. Even if I put it in the override, I still have BG2 animations.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    Hi @viader - great work. So you said you've managed to make the BG1 character animations work in the EE engine with your mod? We are actually actively working on this, since the obvious defect is with dual-wielding.
    edited November 2013
    @Mornmagor You need have only in game directory:
    setup-ExtendedAnimations.exe
    directory: ExtendedAnimations

I just install pack again and everything works. But error is error I try find something more about this communique. I attach my log from .debug file

@Pecca @Mornmagor I can say again, if I find slots for paladin and cleric animations from BG1, I update pack and you get 'BG1 character animations' in BGEE. Truly, you get only new animations for cleric and palladin, because others animations are identical, what you proved (by saying that you still have animations from BG2). It's everything in this theme.

@zenblack Second, it is pack which contain all animations, but nothing change in game. Maybe in future, there will be additional option to use some characters animations from BG1. I must find slots... If someone wants use this pack to mod, enough install it, make a mod (using new animations) and add to instruction, that mod first required to instalation this pack.

@Miloch I just need find working slots in ANIMATE.IDS for characters animations, but it isn't easy. I check most of them and none of them doesn't work. Maybe there aren't working two slots and managed BG1 character animation is impossible without incursion in 'Baldur.exe' I don't know.
  • KogornKogorn Member Posts: 104
    I'm confused as to how to install this pack. Say i want to replace the BG2 flesh golem animation with the one from BG1 that actually has a unique animation for the flesh golem. How would I go about replacing this individual animation? or do all the animations need to be replaced in one package?

I would probably want to do something similar with the Iron Golem animation too (Icewind Dale actually had a unique animation for it). I have no clue why Bioware chose to reuse the same asset for different monsters when it already had more unique ones on file....

In my opinion, the current BG2 animation for golems only makes visual sense for clay (and maybe stone) golems.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    edited November 2013
    viader said:

Miloch I just need find working slots in ANIMATE.IDS for characters animations, but it isn't easy. I check most of them and none of them doesn't work. Maybe there aren't working two slots and managed BG1 character animation is impossible without incursion in 'Baldur.exe' I don't know.

@viader - we are working on this, actually. The idea is to copy BG1 animations to "unmirrored" versions of BG2 slots so we can enable dual-wielding properly.

Edit: @Kogorn - BG1 just used the ogrillon animation for flesh golems. You don't need this mod to change it in BG2 since it exists there already.
    @Miloch You are our hope :) If I can help in something PM to me.
    @Kogorn Indeed, as @Miloch
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    Bumping for interest.

Also, why Dropbox? It's such a PITA to DL from there :/
    @TvrtkoSvrdlar Alternatives? SHS?
    @Viader

Dunno, maybe try and get it hosted on the Gibberlings or Spellhold sites?

Also, I just necroed an old thread pertaining to Infinity Animations. Anyway, to make a long story short, Cuv say you're now *the* moder for animation porting, and that you should get in touch with the IA guys and include the rest of the content that your mod is currently missing.

Here's the thread:

https://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/418109#Comment_418109

Viader, our hopes are with you! Don't let us down! :D
  • prophet1prophet1 Member Posts: 172
    @TvrtkoSvrdlar I think the problem is he can't include that content, at least not as long as his mod is listed on this official forum. Because those animations aren't from "allowed" Infinity Engine games, they are subject to the restrictive copyright rules in effect here. For example, Infinity Animations includes NWN ported creatures, which have been confirmed in this thread as not "safe" to use.

@viader can you answer some questions for me plz, I'm looking into adding new creature animations to a mod, but I've had zero experience with this part of IE modding till now.

1) I see in TP2 you're appending new entries to ANIMATE.IDS, EXTANIM.2DA and EXTSPEED.2DA. But what about ANISND.2DA? Don't I need to append a new line with my bam's 4-letter resref there as well? Or it can be safely omitted if I'm not using a soundset .2DA?

2) How do you pick what new animation ID values to use in ANIMATE.IDS? I see you're using 0xE240 - 0xE2F2 range. Can I just pick any "free" number in the gaps between used entries in the IDS file? E.g. if I want to add a new spider animation, can I do:
    APPEND ~ANIMATE.IDS~ ~0x7A10 SPIDER_GIANT_PHASE~
    after 0x7A04 SPIDER_WRAITH but before 0x7B00 WOLF ?
    edited November 2013
    @prophet1
    1.) It will be safely. .2da tables are needed only to soundsets, which aren't required. ANISND.IDS isn't important too.
    2.) Yes, you can just pick animation slot in any free range, but it must be range from there:
    0xE240 - 0xE2FF - free
    0xE330 - 0xE3FF - free
    0xE440 - 0xE4FF - free
    0xE530 - 0xE5FF - free
    0xE620 - 0xE6FF - free
    0xE730 - 0xE7FF - free
    0xE850 - 0xE8FF - free
    0xE920 - 0xE9FF - free
    0xEA30 - 0xEAFF - free
    0xEB30 - 0xEBFF - free
    0xEC30 - 0xECFF - free
    0xED30 - 0xEDFF - free
    0xEE20 - 0xEEFF - free
    My pack use this range (0xE240 - 0xE2FF - free) so it would be nice to not override these slots... Ah, and animations should be in IWD format.

@Mornmagor http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=27728.0 How do you download pack, maybe you missing some files/directory?

@TvrtkoSvrdlar http://www.spellholdstudios.net/ie/infinityanimations I see only one thing which I should add, support for BG1 missing animations, in past I thinking about add more animations from others games, but copyrights...
    edited November 2013
    viader said:

2.) Yes, you can just pick animation slot in any free range, but it must be range from there:

0xE240 - 0xE2FF - free
    0xE330 - 0xE3FF - free
    0xE440 - 0xE4FF - free
    0xE530 - 0xE5FF - free
    0xE620 - 0xE6FF - free
    0xE730 - 0xE7FF - free
    0xE850 - 0xE8FF - free
    0xE920 - 0xE9FF - free
    0xEA30 - 0xEAFF - free
    0xEB30 - 0xEBFF - free
    0xEC30 - 0xECFF - free
    0xED30 - 0xEDFF - free
    0xEE20 - 0xEEFF - free

So I can't use any empty slots lower than 0xE240 (like 0x7A10 I used above in example), they're reserved by the game for something ? What about slots higher than 0xEEFF, is this the current hard-coded upper limit ? Sorry for noob questions, I should probably just try it and the answer will come at gamecrash velocity. :)
    viader said:

My pack use this range (0xE240 - 0xE2FF - free) so it would be nice to not override these slots... Ah, and animations should be in IWD format.

I won't override those. But what is IWD format ? IESDP only lists one possible version of BAM file (http://gemrb.org/iesdp/file_formats/ie_formats/bam_v1.htm), or are you referring to a certain sequence of frames/cycles in a BAM ?
    viader said:

@TvrtkoSvrdlar http://www.spellholdstudios.net/ie/infinityanimations I see only one thing which I should add, support for BG1 missing animations, in past I thinking about add more animations from others games, but copyrights...

Keep in mind IA also did something cool for players - it offered components to distribute the new animations between various creatures already in Baldur's Gate 2. Say, different types of genies got new animations depending on their type, golems and certain undead creatures got their respective IWD animations, etc.
    edited November 2013
    @prophet1 slots lower than 0xE240 are reserved by game, almost, there are few in 0x7000 series free slots, which used BG1 animations format/type. Slots are any number from 0x0000-0xFFFF but most of them are reserved by game. There aren't free slots greater than 0xEEFF

I refferring to a certain sequence of frames/cycles in a BAM.

Ah, so there are something more, interesting :)

About slots, you can try each number, which isn't set in ANIMATE.IDS, if game doesn't crash and animation works, then you find new free slot. I can only guarantee that slots from ranges which I write, should work :) I also check slots greater than 0xEEFF, there aren't free slots.
    @viader

I installed your mod, and I gotta say, you did an amazing job with it.

One thing confuses me, though: if I change my characters' animation to one of the new ones (like, say, turning Yoshimo into a Planescape thug), it will work, but there's this *thump thump thump* sound whenever he starts walking.

And this thumping sound is present in all the new animations. I remember installing the older animations mod a while ago (before BG2EE came out), and this wasn't a problem. Also, most of the characters in your mod seemed to be scaled up by some 50% (Annah looks like she's 8 feet tall).

Am I doing something wrong, or is there some kind of bug with the mod?
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    They just grew them larger in PST. IIRC, IA has downscaled the PST animations to make them fit in better.

If BG(2)EE works like BG2, I'm pretty sure the walking sound is tied to the slot, which use the walking sound used by dragons and other big critters. I don't know if IA solved that one.
    There's a tool called BAMResizer on PPG: http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=137&Itemid=96

"This nifty little tool was developed to try and facilitate the porting of PST avatars to BG2. The problem was that all the Planescape avatars were larger than those in Baldur's Gate 2 by a 4:3 ratio."
    edited November 2013
    @TvrtkoSvrdlar Definitly kind of bug. I should repair it somehow.

@Wisp I don't understand one thing, this .tp2 code

MAKE_BIFF ~EA_anim~ BEGIN
    ~ExtendedAnimations\temp~ ~.*\.BAM~
    ~ExtendedAnimations\PST_animations~ ~.*\.BAM~
    ~ExtendedAnimations\animations~ ~.*\.BAM~
    ~ExtendedAnimations\animations~ ~.*\.BMP~
    END
    MAKE_BIFF ~EA_sounds~ BEGIN
    ~ExtendentAnimations\sounds~ ~.*\.WAV~
    ~ExtendentAnimations\sounds~ ~.*\.2da~
    END

Should add two biffs to game. It works, when I used old weidu version, but now with new version, it makes only first biff. Could you check it, maybe I'm wrong.

@prophet1 I saw, that animations from PST are larger, but in first moment I haven't idea, how it repair. I would like to use this tool and I would like to make all conversion from PST animation in fly pending installation. I must make some experiments with it :)
    edited November 2013
    @viader if you haven't already, you may also want to get Miloch's BAMBatcher from SHS: http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/837-bam-batcher/

I just used that thing yesterday and it's amazing. It can automatically convert all creature BAMs you place into bambatch\bam subfolder into individual frame BMPs, among other awesome things.
    edited November 2013
    @prophet1 @TvrtkoSvrdlar Does it look good? I used default scale (75%) by BAMResizer
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    @viader
    You've typoed your mod folder in EA_sounds.
    @viader
    Much better, yes :)

Now you just have to solve the sound issue.

IA did it somehow, so it's possible, though I have no idea how :P
    @Wisp Thanks!

@TvrtkoSvrdlar Luckly, I have idea how solve it :)
    @viader

Any luck getting your mod on Spellhold Studios?
    @TvrtkoSvrdlar Yes, soon, my upload with limit (wireless internet) is too poor on it. Tommorow, I should have better connection, ah and I must sign up to Spellhold Studios.
    Probe said:

I find your tool on dropbox but cant download it.. It returns me error that file too big and when i copy to my dropbox it returns 404 error..

You can download pack as zip from dropbox.
  • ProbeProbe Member Posts: 80
    it says zip too large, cant download