Skip to content

Mods you wouldn't go without - Tell people about your favorite BG I mods!

StradlinStradlin Member Posts: 142
edited November 2013 in BG:EE Mods
Please note we are in BG1- section of forums!! Only BG1 mods please!

Most people present have been (occasionally..) playing Baldur's Gate for a very long time now. I think it likely most people have come across a mod or two they think so highly of that it has turned into an integral and essential part of their BG experience. Let's talk about those mods! Which ones are invaluable to you?Why?

Please provide name of the mod, status of compatibility with EE and some relevant link or another if you know of any.Describe the mod briefly! Excessive mod listings are welll and good and can be incredibly handy. It's just that bare name of a mod isn't a very meaningful thing for somebody who has never tried it or played BG all that much.

Ideally, this thread might increase visibility and generate well earned buzz around few excellent if a bit overlooked mods.

- - -

BG1 NPC Project

Starting such listing with the BG1 NPC Project makes a highly obvious choice for me. Not sure if I've ever seen a mod for *any* game enhancing and improving atmosphere of the vanilla experience as much as the NPC project does.

The BG1 NPC Project is all about ensuring the days of silent,empty joinable NPCs are over. The mod adds several hundreds of banters,few quests and romances. Significant portions of the content is of very high quality. Dialogue written usually suits mood of the game and the NPCs perfectly. The mod is all about immersion, atmosphere and making the NPCs and Player Character richer in flavor. Don't expect any additional mobs to kill etc. Great deal of the new dialogue is all about interjections and reactions to surroundings. Mod kicks in and shows it's teeth the moment PC and Imoen arrive to Gorion's body. It doesn't just make the NPCs richer but also adds great deal to the environment, world as a whole. I much appreciate how, despite adding a drastic amount of new content, NPC project still manages to stay loyal to the original atmosphere.

Due to the nature of this mod, there is nothing to consider in terms of game balance. It won't be handing you game breaking amounts of XP(or any XP at all, iirc)) or some imbalanced extra gear or such.

As made apparent enough by my rampart fanboyism, I've come to think extremely highly of the NPC Project. To a degree where any intention to start a single BG:EE playthrough without it flew out of window as soon as I heard our valiant @LiamEsler is busy(!!!;p) crafting a BG:EE friendly version of it.

BG:EE Compatibility status: In progress!

Relevant links:
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/9744/the-bg-npc-project/p12
Local thread for local people, about the up and coming BG:EE version of the mod.

Original home&place of birth of the mod:
http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg1npc/

Pocket plane listing, comes with pile of other mods similar in nature and spirit
http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=134&Itemid=94

There is an excellent G3 forum devoted to the mod. Seems to come with pretty interesting sub forums too
http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showforum=45

- - -

Nice to have seperate forums for BG&BGII now. Just wanna try bringing little more life here, really;p

Your turn! Please add mod you like to the list. Explain what makes it awesome. Is it available in BG:EE?

Post edited by Stradlin on
mackosbooinyoureyesStoneSwordsAkuroSCARY_WIZARD

Comments

• marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    edited November 2013
    Mods I wouldn't go without? How about BGT?

Oh wait! No longer needed! :)

I pretty much kept it vanilla for my first runthrough of BGEE. Doing the same for BGII:EE.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Rogue Rebalancing is tough for me to live without.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Can't and won't go without my own dual-class mod and portrait packs as I usually have at least one (most often more) chars in my party using those :)
  • kungfuhobbitkungfuhobbit Member Posts: 168
    SCS
    BG2Tweaks
    BG1 UB
    & a 'non-recruitables' portraits mod
  • ThalamondThalamond Member Posts: 108
    this is in the BG1 section, remember, so don't post mods about Baldurs Gate 2 :-)
    Stradlin
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    Finch is a true miracle of the universe. I would mod the hell out of my BGEE if it became compatible.

(Indira is also nice)
    ErgDazzu
  • mackosmackos Member Posts: 188
    SCS for me. Why?? SCS readme is the answer
  • kungfuhobbitkungfuhobbit Member Posts: 168
    Thalamond said:

this is in the BG1 section, remember, so don't post mods about Baldurs Gate 2 :-)

I should have been a bit more specific. As Ive played BG1 via BGT for many years, I cant imagine playing without, amongst other of its components, BG2 Tweaks' "No Traps or Locks"
  • qwert_44643qwert_44643 Member Posts: 311
    edited November 2013
    hard times would be great...
  • revanbhrevanbh Member Posts: 38
    BG1 NPC
    SCS
    BG1 UB
    Hard Times

I probably have many more in my Tutu installation, but these four are a must for any BG1 playthrough. I also have several NPC mods in there, but haven't had the time to play much with them.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    SCS. Just using it for the first time, but man do I enjoy the ride.
  • bmcl2343bmcl2343 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2013
    I played BG1 when it was first released. My favourite game of all time, I haven't played EE but I read somewhere that I shouldn't play it without BG1 NPC. I can't really think of any game I've ever replayed so when I replay BG I want to do it in the best possible way - and I'm willing to wait (hence my waiting this long already!)

1) Is this true? To do the game true justice I need NPC?
    2) Is this mod available for EE? If not will it ever be? Soon enough that I should just wait another month?

Thanks so much for any responses - really appreciate them!
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180
    @bmcl2343 Well, it's really a matter of opinion, but for some of us, yes, BG:EE is almost unplayable without BG1 NPC. I did one run without it, and man, that's a slog, let me tell you lol
    booinyoureyesDelvarian

@bmcl2343 Well, it's really a matter of opinion, but for some of us, yes, BG:EE is almost unplayable without BG1 NPC. I did one run without it, and man, that's a slog, let me tell you lol

Thanks for the response! So am I right in saying that it's not available at the moment?
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    Hmm... I must have used a different version of BG1 NPC. It was a long time ago, but all I remember was spelling mistakes, NPCs acting out of character, and banter at the worst of times... One banter I hated was when Imoen told my RANGER that he was afraid of dogs...

All my mods are just small things I made myself.
    -All races can be any class
    -Imoen is a gnomish thief / illusionist
    -Shoal's kiss can be resisted in dialog
    -Belt and Liia are less likely to die(or deathscript you)
    -All the Elminster encounters have been replaced with assassins

Abel
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

I agree completely. It is almost like another game on top of the game. Some of the characters become so memorable. Imoen is especially well done and will be one of your favorites in no time.
    Also BG1 NPC Project adds GREAT continuity between the two games that was sorely lacking before (Imoen dual class, Khalid and Jaheira actually shown to be in love, Dynaheir is a real character so you actually feel it when she dies, Coran and Safana, etc.)

Also a great addition is the fact that Imoen and Alora become best pals :)
    StradlinDelvarianXavioria
  • StradlinStradlin Member Posts: 142
    edited December 2013
    ^ One of the things I recall being exceptionally impressed about in BG 1 NPC was the additions to Khalid&Jaheira. Increased depth in their relationship is pretty touching thing to behold since most all view it in light of things to come. IIRC it also tastes surprisingly much like life; Unlike it's counterparts in modern Bioware games, J&K romance in NPC project isn't a facepalm fest to flirty Senior Highschool bullshit or it's closest TV equivalent.

Post edited by Stradlin on
    booinyoureyeslunarkaguana
    Agree @Stradlin it was really well done. Whoever made that mod deserves Bigby's High Five
    Abel
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    Picking up my previous comment: does anybody know if the author of Finch is still around and is either willing to adapt it to BGEE or to allow somebody else to do it? I found her absolutely amazing.

I mean come on. She is a hero, and she is a librarian!
    booinyoureyesStoneSwordsErgkaguana
    and a female gnome.
    why is everyone so scared of female gnome and dwarf characters?
    TheGraveDigger
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/11358/gui-mod-finished-recoloured-bgee-skin-v1-1/p1
    It works on iPad too, and it makes me feel more cormftable. Also it rocks.
    I can't even LIVE without it.

and a female gnome.
    why is everyone so scared of female gnome and dwarf characters?

size? Not like that matters, but that would be my guess lol
    booinyoureyes
    @bmcl2343 yes, you would be correct, NPC project is not available for BG:EE just yet

@bmcl2343 yes, you would be correct, NPC project is not available for BG:EE just yet

Thanks - and I'm guessing that I probably shouldn't hold my breath at this point?

• AnterosAnteros Member Posts: 37
    The BG1 NPC Project is just too good not to use.
    booinyoureyesXavioria
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    can anybody tell me if SCS is smooth and bugless for BG:EE?

this thread makes me depressed - all these cool mods and they're all basically incompatible with EE
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823

can anybody tell me if SCS is smooth and bugless for BG:EE?

I think I can safely guarantee that SCS is not bugless on BG:EE, or indeed on any version of BG(2), and nor is it ever likely to be - it's too complicated. I'm only aware of one critical bug, though (the Fission Slime in Durlag's TOwer) and in general it seems to be being pretty smooth.

ErgCrevsDaakAstroBryGuy