Skip to content

Favorite Mod Romance

Whether it is with a character you can't normally romance or with a new character from the mod, which is your favorite?

Two questions: How does the Imoen romance end and is the D'Arnise romance any good?
booinyoureyes

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    The de'Arnise romance is hands down *the* best-written BG romance I have played so far. I would strongly suggest giving it a try! It has great writing and very fitting changes to the Keep quest line and conclusion. Very well done!

The Imoen romance is controversial, as there were apparently some RL tie-ins written into the romance that were - ahem - a bit inappropriate to say the least. I'm not sure about the full story, you can probably find it around somewhere. Anyway, the mod itself is okay, but not stellar. It's trying too hard imo, and some passages are just plain boring. There's also a lot of very tacky humor that makes you sigh more than laugh... Not for everyone, but it is one of the larger romances and technically well implemented. There's several possible endings, including a "physical" one.

If you're into lots of philosophical debate and poetry, Solaufein is for you. And be warned that there will be a LOT of philosophy and poetry. Not all of it is romance-related, and the actual romance part is fairly short and flat. The mod does however add one of the more enjoyable encounters for difficulty-afficionados (Lunar Eclipse) which is basically the only reason I even play it. If you're not a powergamer, you may not enjoy fighting enemies with party-wide Time Stops, so be warned...

Saerileth is another popular mod, but recommended only for the purest of pure-hearted white knight Paladins with a good-complex [sic]. If you're into the whole righteousness > all thing, then look no further - but most people find Saerileth too over the top. She can literally die of a broken heart if you're not super duper mega good and caring... And she will butt in on many occasions, making sure you take the most righteous path in quests, conversations, etc. Can be annoying and controlling. Also, the voice acting is HORRIBLE. I literally had to turn it off because I couldn't take it.

Those are basically the ones I played personally. There's more out there I'm sure.
    jcomptonaqzinabrunardo
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Fade is well written and (refreshingly) doesn't spend a large part of the game with your love interest being insecure and unsure about her feelings. It also contains some good smaller quests that don't redirect the course of the game. The main drawback is that there's still no ToB content for her and thus no real conclusion.

The Dynaheir romance in the BG1 NPC Project is also very well done. It gives Dynaheir a lot more character and depth and has her express her feelings in various nice (and sometimes scholarly) ways. There is some minor quest and item content, and the mod takes Dynaheir's ultimate fate into account and handles it well.

Saerileth gets a lot of flak, with this one it depends on what you prefer. My biggest issue with it is how so many in-game decisions end up being about what she wants.
    jscohen
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Saerileth is hated because she's 15. Me personally, I hate her more than any other mod, but it has nothing to do with the fact that she's 15!
    StoneSwordsQuartzSCARY_WIZARD
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Ugh. Saerileth. I would only download that mod, and take her in my party, if only to have the stupid brat die of a broken heart after cheating on her with a certain NPC in chapter 5. Seriously how annoying of a character, and the only saving grace is her being able to use paladin weapons. And she just talks and talks and taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalks.... and talks.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    My favorite mod romance ever is Kivan. His romance is so beautifully written.

As for Saerileth, I think I played her once, and I didn't get very far.
    AvenelQuartzAvengingExile
  • MoczoMoczo Member Posts: 236
    I typically don't get too far in mod romances... I remember Amber being okay, if rather long and low-key. I seriously couldn't tell if I was romancing her or not, for awhile.
    Fafnir
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    I can't say it enough, Keldorn's romance is really really good, well paced, well thought out and adds some nice content even if you don't want to romance him. I think I'll give the Nalia romance a try on my next playthrough.
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    My fav mod romance is Faren. He's a well written character, well voiced, mechanically useful (fighter dualed thief) and a joy to have in the party romanced or not.
    Sanctifer
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited December 2013
    @BaldursCat

I can't say it enough, Keldorn's romance is really really good, well paced, well thought out and adds some nice content even if you don't want to romance him. I think I'll give the Nalia romance a try on my next playthrough.

Is there really a Keldorn romance???
    Better find a Scroll of Sildenafil...
    MoczoBaldursCatDeltaslayer
  • TheNPCTheNPC Member Posts: 57
    Which D'Arnise romance is it? As I recall there were two mods out there. Does it have ToB content?

Also, is there anyway to save your mods from being undone when a patch comes out? I think that would put a crimp in any character or romance mods.

@BaldursCat

Why does this surprise everyone whenever I mention it? I'm curious, seriously, how old do you all actually think Keldorn is? (Bearing in mind he has young / teenage daughters, a wife who is not yet grey and he himself isn't completely grey or that wrinkled in his portrait, I think the shadows under his eyes age him somewhat but he's more scarred than wrinkled). It's also worth remembering that all three vanilla female romances are elves or half elves and far older than Charname.

I never thought of it that way. Is Aerie really older though?
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    I am not a huge fan of the Nalia romance. There are two reasons.

The first is, it takes forever. It is the longest romance I've experienced. The pacing is simply not designed for anyone with half a clue about the game. If you wander around aimlessly and encumbered, you might not be bothered by it. You're gonna be consoling your way to the next conversation a lot, I assure you. It IS well written, but horribly paced. Be prepared for Nalia to discuss every subject relevant and metaphysical before you get anywhere.

The second is, it takes forever, and in all this forever, there's of course no naked fun times until the end. Out of an impulsive, chaotic character we're having this endless courtship requirement to find out if you are her soulmate before we get to quality time (or even a kiss). This is befitting Aerie perhaps, but I am quite tired of so many romances where sex is thought of as the culmination point once love has been established, and all lust is suppressed or ignored until that point. Maybe you want the game to fit children's worlds, but the mods need not.
    jcomptonCrevsDaakSCARY_WIZARDCanes
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432

@BaldursCat

Why does this surprise everyone whenever I mention it? I'm curious, seriously, how old do you all actually think Keldorn is? (Bearing in mind he has young / teenage daughters, a wife who is not yet grey and he himself isn't completely grey or that wrinkled in his portrait, I think the shadows under his eyes age him somewhat but he's more scarred than wrinkled). It's also worth remembering that all three vanilla female romances are elves or half elves and far older than Charname.

I never thought of it that way. Is Aerie really older though?
    Given how long elves live I'm guessing the age they reach sexual maturity is a fair bit later than humans do - I can only find anecdotal evidence online so if someone wants to correct me here feel free - so, yeah, I think she's older in physical terms even if she comes across as the baby sister in worldly experience terms.

booinyoureyesQuartzMalicron
    edited December 2013
    One thing is for sure: Boo needs a girlfriend lest he scratch us all in hard to reach places
    Romanceable female hamster ranger?
    BaldursCatGawdzillajscohen
  • AnterosAnteros Member Posts: 37
    My favorite romance mod for BG1 was the Dynaheir romance, hands down. It turned her into a wise, mature character with a very interesting personality, and both the courtship and relationship were enjoyable to play through.

Choosing a single BG2 romance mod is harder though. Those I really enjoyed were Tsuajatha, Saerileth, Fade, Imoen, Amber, Sarah and Tyris Flare. I guess I'd say Imoen is my favorite, but only because she can be romanced by any PC.
    BaldursCatbooinyoureyes
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    enqenq said:

I am not a huge fan of the Nalia romance. There are two reasons.

The first is, it takes forever. It is the longest romance I've experienced. The pacing is simply not designed for anyone with half a clue about the game.

The second is, it takes forever, and in all this forever, there's of course no naked fun times until the end.

This makes it sound both appealing and not-so appealing actually. My games tend to last a long time because of immersion/RP behaviour, and the vanilla romances usually finish long before I even leave for Spellhold - so one with more content (and more conversational depth) would be welcomed.

However, I'm also definitely not a fan of the idea that the courting period lasts 95% of the romance and sex is seen like the rewarding pot of gold at the end of the rainbow (and the story). I tend to favour romances that are a little more allowing for lust and instinct, such as Fade or Viconia. Never quite understood why it's often so hard for romance NPC:s to just let go and admit they're crazy about charname.
    AnterosenqenqQuartz
    Well, Nalia *is* a highborn lady of proper etiquette. She may have a rebellious streak, but she's also a product of her upbringing in many respects. I think it fits her character that she's a bit reluctant to jump CHARNAME after what is, after all, only a few weeks/months. She's also fairly young and inexperienced, so a lack of passion is not perhaps all that surprising. You can't really compare her to Viconia with her centuries of experience in all kinds of depraved acts...

I do agree that the romance is, shall we say, extensive. It can drag on a bit, but if you're looking at it in the "pot-of-gold" way maybe you're going into it wrong. Still, without the CLUAConsole to speed things along it does take an ungodly amount of time to play through it... A detriment, I suppose, especially for people unwilling to help things along through such artificial means. Then again my usual playing speeds only get me halfway at best through the vanilla romances either, so there's that.
    SCARY_WIZARDNonnahswriterIsewein
  • FFGFFG Member Posts: 52
    What do people think of the Angelo romance for BG2? Just curious.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Nic_Mercy said:

My is Faren. He's a well written character, well voiced, mechanically useful (fighter dualed thief) and a joy to have in the party romanced or not.

can you elaborate more on why he's so great?
  • TheNPCTheNPC Member Posts: 57
    I take it the Bodhi romance breaks the character too much?
  • AvenelAvenel Member Posts: 94
    The Kivan mod is my favourite, and there's no question about it. The romance is sweet and heartfelt once you get there, but it is also his other dialogues throughout SoA that make both him, and the game, more interesting. He has plenty of things to say to both charname and the other party members, and it gets better when the cross-mod banter pack is installed.

Xan is also a good mod, and @Kulyok does his character development (both bonded and non-bonded path) very well. He is also now a must-have in my usual charname's party. He also has plenty to say with his usual 'enthusiasm' (note: hopelessness).
    booinyoureyesQuartzAvengingExile
    TheNPC said:

Arguably not. In the "canon" books, CHARNAME does in fact hop in the sack with Bodhi...
    QuartzDJKajuru
  • MoczoMoczo Member Posts: 236

TheNPC said:

Arguably not. In the "canon" books, CHARNAME does in fact hop in the sack with Bodhi...
    He doesn't really count as a character to be broken, though.
    Quartz

TheNPC said:

You ever heard of Godwin's Law?????
    Well it works for references to the "canon" books as well!
    MalicronAnteros
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    I shudder to think of those books as canon... Ironically, Romantic Encounters has a Bodhi encounter.

That being said, my second favorite romance mod is...Arath. Its so good. Arath is an awesome hedonistic, bisexual Druid (Avenger Kit). I really don't want to give out anymore than that.
    Quartz

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Abdel Adrian quickly approaches 1"

discussion of your opinions on baldur's gate characterization
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    rdarken said:

Nic_Mercy said:

My is Faren. He's a well written character, well voiced, mechanically useful (fighter dualed thief) and a joy to have in the party romanced or not.

can you elaborate more on why he's so great?
    Well as I said in my original post, Faren is well written. He interjects believably and even argues with other npcs when he's romancing you, especially if they try to initiate romance flavored chat. His voice acting is done very well and his voice is generally pleasing to hear.

Mechanically, as a fighter dualed thief, he has excellent combat skills and can reach grand mastery. He also serves as a thief for either good or evil parties (he's neutral) that continues to advance as a thief and can reach UAI opening up his gearing options tremendously. I like having a thief that keeps getting skill points. Sure there's a point where you have enough but I like doing things like having uber HS/MS or PP once the basics like OL or FT are maxed at 100.

Overall he just seems like a great character to have around. He has a great starting point and the typical interaction with Bodhi that the other romances has so he feels like he's meant to be part of the game.
    booinyoureyesrdarken