Skip to content

Keldorn: How old do you think he is?

BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
So, every now and again the "best romance mod" discussion crops up and (predictably) I champion the Keldorn romance as being a really good mod and not just as a romance, but whenever I, and others, mention it it seems to provoke an: "Ewww, man, he's old!" reaction. The mod deals with the whole "Ew, man, he's married" thing quite well so I'll not cover that but really, how old you think he is? Sure, he's got a grey goatee and grey streaks through his hair but there aren't that many wrinkles on his face in his portrait, and also he has a comparatively young wife - she's certainly described as such - who, it's indicated in the vanilla version of the game, he has a full and intimate relationship with, plus his two daughters of teenage years and younger. Sure, I can understand where the idea that he's old comes from, but I think it's a case of us projecting modern ideas onto a fantasy character, that's why I'm interested.
  1. Keldorn: How old do you think he is?248 votes
    1. 30-40 Years
        4.03%
    2. 40-50 Years
      46.37%
    3. 50-60 Years
      43.95%
    4. Old as the Hills
        1.21%
    5. So ancient even Elminster's lost count of how long he's been alive
        2.82%
    6. Other ('cause you have to have an 'Other' option.
        1.61%
booinyoureyesnanoCrevsDaakRavenslight

Comments

• SarlyssiaSarlyssia Member Posts: 27
    Keldorn romance? o_O Where? And is it compatible with Bgee?
    BaldursCat
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    No option for over 9000?

Judging from his personality, world view and portrait, it's save to say that Keldorn is roughly in his middle fifties.

My opinion as well.
    BaldursCat
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Ooh a private poll! Schfifty five.
    MortiannaJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Early fifties. Wife in her forties.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Late forties to early fifties, judging by his looks, backstory and age of daughters. From his personality, I don't think he married and started a family as a squire; he probably waited to have the time, status and funds to support a family.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    It depends really. He looks about 60 in his picture, but that is judging by 21st century standards.
    elminsterQuartz
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    I would say about 45. Paladins are not known for their easy lives, hence why he looks like hes pushing 60. If he was 60, he would just be dead, right?
    DragonspearSon_of_ImoenAstroBryGuy
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    @Elminster I really wish I had read down that far before I voted. :3

elminsterDragonspear
  • NaveenNaveen Member Posts: 81
    edited December 2013
    In a dialogue with Imoen he says something like "I could be your father!", he has been the tutor of many knights (including Ajantis) and after ToB he retires, so I'll say... 50-60+.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I would have put 45-55 if I could have. Definitely seems like a man past his physical prime but who can still compete with the youngsters through his experience and wisdom.

He's easily has the most handsome portrait as well. Too old? No way, he just looks distinguished. I've never heard of any Keldorn romance mod either, though. Which is a bit surprising.
    DragonspearBaldursCatRavenslight
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    @scriver ... there... is...... one.....
    I think he is 50 or older, 70 at the oldest.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    13 years and 3 months.
    Kamigoroshisuddenly_human
  • GawdzillaGawdzilla Member Posts: 86
    He reminds me so much of Sean Connery, and Connery is pretty old now so I always thought of him in his 50's. Started a family late, as others have said.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    He's a least a mid-late fifty-something. In his ToB epilogue it says in his 60th winter, he dies on the battlefield against giants and the hand of Torm Himself picks him back up. I'd peg him as 57 when SoA begins.
    JonelethIrenicuslolien
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

13 years and 3 months.

So you say Keldorn is 65 dog years old? Fascinating!

KidCarnival
  • stiantastianta Member Posts: 42

59 :3
    Fenghoang
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Keldorn has my favourite ending :)

(at least of the original characters)
    JonelethIrenicusFlashburnBaldursCatFenghoang
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I think mid-40s. He's supposed to have a relatively young child, and he has to be in decent fighting shape.
    BaldursCat
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    He spends some time in retirement after TOB and then he comes out of retirement to die in the battlefield at 60. So my vote would be mid 40s to early 50s.

I have always had a soft spot for Keldorn despite not liking his goody two shoes order. His story about the 'Dance' was one of the finest pieces of writing in the trilogy IMO.

And I really hated that he got killed by giants. Giants. Unbelievable. In one of my games, he was level 34 or something and he and Carsomyr were chunking Fire Giant Elites for fun by that time.
    BaldursCatFenghoang
  • RhaellaRhaella Member, Developer Posts: 178
    edited December 2013
    He can't be less than 40. You can't be a full member of the Radiant Heart until you reach 40.

I say 45-55, unless he had kids very late.

As for the Keldorn romance, it's still in public beta.
    EudaemoniumFenghoang
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    onan said:

He spends some time in retirement after TOB and then he comes out of retirement to die in the battlefield at 60. So my vote would be mid 40s to early 50s.

And I really hated that he got killed by giants. Giants. Unbelievable. In one of my games, he was level 34 or something and he and Carsomyr were chunking Fire Giant Elites for fun by that time.

Age is the bane of humans

jackjackonanDragonspear
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Old enough for his potion case to be full of sildenafil :D
    DragonspearBaldursCat
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I pinned him in his late 40s, but he looks like mid fifties from the mileage he has put on his body.
    booinyoureyes