Skip to content

#7222 [HEXXAT] - New player needs help fixing a bug with acquiring Hexxat (No Spoilers Please!)

FlyingWizardFlyingWizard Member Posts: 20
edited December 2013 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
So I'm playing through this game for the first time multiplayer with my bro, and we get approached by Hexxat in the Copper Coronet regarding the Tomb of Dragomir quest. We agree, and go to the graveyard. We find our way inside the tomb, kill the boss duder, talk to the real hexxat, and proceed to leave the dungeon. Once we're in the daylight again, the "fake" Hexxat talks to us like she's leaving, and then when I ask why, she responds that she needs to go to the Tomb of Dragomir for an item (deja vu much?). So I accept, and then leave the graveyard and make my way to the Copper Coronet to meet with the "real" Hexxat.

Upon entering the Copper Coronet, the "fake" Hexxat disappears. She still shows up in my party list, but she doesn't exist as a physical entity in the inn. I can't remove her from my party, because if I do and accept the new party configuration, a new party configuration window immediately appears with the fake Hexxat reinstated in my party, and this will happen until I accept a configuration with her still in my party. I can't trade items or anything with her either, and most importantly, I CAN'T LEAVE THE INN. It tells me "You must gather your party before venturing forth." when the "fake" Hexxat is stuck in (relatively speaking) another dimension and I can't remove her from my party.

I'm guessing the "fake" Hexxat was supposed to leave my party or disappear at some point, but for some reason she didn't or at least wasn't forced to. Now I'm stuck in the Copper Coronet, unable to leave or anything. Help! I have no idea how to fix this. Please try to keep all suggestions/fixes as spoiler free as possible. Thanks!

EDIT: I just reloaded an older file and got to the point where I first talked to the "real" Hexxat again, and it seems that she's supposed to eat the fake Hexxat. However, when that happens, the fake Hexxat is still in my party. How would I go about fixing this?

EDIT 2: I was able to make the fake Hexxat leave my party by convincing the real Hexxat to join my while I was still in the Tomb of Dragomir. Unless anyone knows any reason why this would cause problems later on, feel free to ignore my questions and just leave this up as a bug report, if it hasn't been reported yet. (I did check, but not thoroughly, because I was starting to see spoilers the more I looked)
Post edited by Illydth on

Comments

• LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    She's meant to die during the cutscene where she, ah, dies and has her blood drained by Hexxat.

Is this a singleplayer or a multiplayer game? It's a bug I've been trying to track down for some time, so any information would be helpful!
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @LiamEsler: It's a multi-player game according to the initial post. Do you have a bug number on what you've been tracking down? Or do you want me to open one?
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @Illdyth Definitely open one, I haven't done so yet; the problem is a repro case has been difficult to track down.
    edited December 2013
    Will get one opened with an identification that repo steps are in progress. I'll tag it to you so you can update it later.

@LiamEsler: I've opened 7222 for this and tagged to to you. I'll let you manage it not getting closed due to no repo steps. :)

I've linked the thread here as the definitive for more information.

@FlyingWizard: We're going to need a saved game posted here to help.
  • FlyingWizardFlyingWizard Member Posts: 20
    "Fake" Hexxat was under control of the host (myself). Yes, it was 2 person multiplayer. I'll attach the save file where I've defeated the vampire boss, picked up his cloak, and am on my way to the room where the real Hexxat is. Every time I have the "fake" Hexxat enter the room (she's the only one who can), and then I've always talked to the real Hexxat with the "fake" one, but I have also talked to her once with a created character (that wasn't the host character). I'm not 100% sure what all to attach here, so please tell me if there's more that I need to attach or if it's the wrong file to attach.

Pre-posting edit: it's not letting me upload anything. I can select a file to upload, and an animated "Uploading..." bar that appears once I confirm, but it doesn't appear to be making any progress and just sits there without seeming to do anything.
    Did you zip your saved game directory into a single ZIP (or RAR) file and then try to upload that?
    Yes. :| Zipped it and it won't upload. I already checked my noscript stuff and allowed everything (except google-analytics, which shouldn't be involved in uploading anyway).
    edited December 2013
    Um...can you get this onto something like a DropBox account or something? I'll be happy to download and upload it here. If not, send me a private message and I'll send you an e-mail address to send to.
    edited December 2013
    Edit 2: e-mailed the file. Let me know if you've got all you need now.
    @FlyingWizard: Check your PMs.
    Got it. Hope this helps!
    @Gate70, @LiamEsler

His save is attached here.
    @Gate70:

So the reproduction for this is to keep clara out of sight and initiate conversation with Hexxat at which point Clara doesn't die and the issue occurs?

That actually jives with a few other bugs we've seen (Planar Sphere Issue) where if the main dialog character is out of visible range when dialog initiation happens, some things get skipped.

If I'm correct here, did you update the information in the Ticket or do I need to do that?
    edited December 2013
    Gate70 said:

Ah, repeated experimentation. After 6 attempts with your save and mine giving a mix of dead and alive I thought I had it. Another 4 attempts and my theory was clearly wrong. Pretty annoying with 5 minute [u]cutscenes[/u] each time (damn this Intel 945 chipset!)

Wait, there's a cutscene when you first talk to the real Hexxat? (or am I misunderstanding something here?) In the 5~ish times I tried to fix the result of the bug myself, I've never once seen a cutscene here afair (remember). Edit: there *might* have been a cutscene early/earlier on in our run through the dungeon, but I'm fairly certain that even if there was one, it was irrelevant to this as I probably would remember it if it were relevant.

^Hopefully this info will help narrow down the problem some. (and just to reiterate, I've never done messed with this Hexxat bug stuff outside of a multiplayer game, whether I was alone or not)
    edited December 2013
    Illydth said:

@Gate70:

So the reproduction for this is to keep clara out of sight and initiate conversation with Hexxat at which point Clara doesn't die and the issue occurs?

That actually jives with a few other bugs we've seen (Planar Sphere Issue) where if the main dialog character is out of visible range when dialog initiation happens, some things get skipped.

If I'm correct here, did you update the information in the Ticket or do I need to do that?
    This is incorrect. All but one of the times I tried to fix the result of this bug myself, I had Clara (the "fake" Hexxat) initiate the conversation with the "real" Hexxat. Also, 3 of these 5 times Clara was alone in the room with the "real" Hexxat, and 1 of the 5 times Jagerfreid (2nd character from the top) was in the room with them when the conversation was initiated. The final attempt Clara and Jagerfreid were the only ones in the room with the real Hexxat, and Jagerfreid initiated the conversation.
    Edit to clarify: Every time I first initiated conversation with the real Hexxat, most of the initial response options are along the lines of "omg you just ate my friend." I was really confused at first when I progressed through this part of the game, and it wasn't until I read the info in the text box after the fact of talking with Hexxat that I figured out that Clara was supposed to have been 'eaten' by Hexxat.

I never actually "correctly" fixed the issue--I worked around it like so: when the real Hexxat reaches the room with the corpse of the boss, she declares "Where's his cloak!?" and at this point, I maneuver the conversation such that I convince Hexxat to join my party right there (instead of her leaving on her own and joining up with her at the Copper Coronet). Upon doing so, I boot Clara from the party, and tell she asks "You aren't going to Dragomir's Tomb with me then?" (something along those lines, all of these upcoming quotes are paraphrased as well), and I respond with "Why is it so important?", she says something, and I respond "I'll let you stay with us if you want, but you'll have to forget about going to Dragomir's Tomb, ok?" Once I respond thusly, she just vanishes, and I've never seen her since.

Edit: Unfortunately, I can't remember if this final, successful resolution/workaround occurred the time when Jagerfreid talked to the real Hexxat first (with Clara present), or when Clara talked to the real Hexxat with Jagerfreid present (I don't think it was when Clara talked to Hexxat alone, though).
    Post edited by FlyingWizard on
    (sorry for the triple post, but this is a completely different line of thought from the other 2, so I didn't want to edit it in to a previous post)
    I just thought of/remembered something that could be relevant. About the ghost guy who's been guarding the tomb for a while who has the rod that unlocks the boss' room; I redid that part once, and the first time I did it, I was diplomatic and convinced him to just give me the rod and that I would liberate him by killing the boss. After inserting the rod, but before fighting the boss, I returned to the guy's room. He randomly turned hostile and attacked me, at which point I killed him. The second time I did that part, I took the same diplomatic approach, but I didn't return to the room he was in after inserting the rod. The save file you have is the second attempt, so the guy should still be alive back in the room he was in. (note my main character is a half-elf Sorcerer with an alignment of Chaotic Good, if that makes any difference)

I'm not sure if that's relevant, but I found it odd so I figured I'd mention it.
    Gate70 said:

@FlyingWizard Hexxat initiates the talk for both cutscenes. If a party member initiates dialogue then you're going to have the issue.

Try standing in the centre of the room with Clara and Vince.

Oh, I see what you're saying. I've never had Hexxat initiate dialogue herself for the first conversation (though she always does when she demands the boss' cloak).
    edited December 2013
    Gate70 said:

@FlyingWizard does that work for you now - hope so otherwise another repro scenario is needed.

Edit: was able to find some earlier free time; moving all the characters in my party into the room caused that cutscene to occur correctly (which also caused Clara to die as intended). Previously I had not moved all the characters into that room because I was busy having some of my party members healing other party members. I'll edit this post if I discover anything else of note.

Post edited by FlyingWizard on
    edited December 2013
    Looks like that wraps everything up on the causation side of this bug (as far as I'm aware at least). Hopefully that's the only cause for it lest the eventual fix not entirely remove the problem. :o