Skip to content

Questions about tieflings

For BG2EE I wanted a totally new character. This is what I ended up with, after far to many hours in Photoshop (photo on me to the right, should anyone be insecure which is which): :-D

Now to my questions:

1. Should I play the tiefling as a Human, with the possibility to Dual, or as a Half-Elf with the Multiclass options? Haer'dalis really gives no answer, as he's a Bard. Reading on the Forgotten Realms wiki, I tend to lean towards the Human/Dual choice.

2. Do Tieflings get any racial benefits or disadvantages?

Finally, feel free to suggest cool classes and combos. I made the portrait as "neutral" as possible. The Sword on his back could just as well be a large knife, the Staff a Wand of Magic Missile usable by several classes and so forth. His name will be Astafas though, as my old forum name has a certain infernal smell of sulphur to it. :-D

Comments

• GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2013
    Technically by definition all bhaalspawn are Tieflings. I say this since they are direct descendants of an evil god.
    Regardless, if you want to be an elf instead of a human, your characters should probably be a Fey'ri:
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Fey'ri
    A Half Orc would be a Tanarukk:
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Tanarukk
    A Halfing would be a Wispling:
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Wispling
    And last but not least:
    A Dwarf would be a Maeluth:
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Maeluth
    AstafasFinneousPJRnRClown
    Abilities:
    Innate Heat resistance
    Higher Charisma
    "Bloodlust"(sort of like berserking I would guess)
    "Infernal Wrath" Probably extra THAC0 and damage per hit
    Some can use Darkness much like Drow can.
    Note: this is from 4e.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Also all Bhaalspawn aren't tieflings. Tieflings have a lower concentration of evil outsider blood. Bhaalspawn are closer to half-fiends, or I guess 2/3rd fiends in the case of a tiefling Bhaalspawn :P Bhaalspawn all appear like the mother's race, though, and appear to inherit her racial traits, so it's really a moot point.

Kurumi has the stats right, though. For 2E, at least, which is the version you should use.
    edited November 2013
    @Eudaemonium I still consider half-fiends as Tieflings when it comes to Bhaalspawn.

Just looked it up. Half-fiends are sooo different from the Bhaalspawn as they are even more pronounced than Tieflings.

No matter its form, a half-fiend is always hideous to behold, having dark scales, horns, glowing red eyes, bat wings, a fetid odor, or some other obvious sign that it is tainted with evil.
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    Doesn't H'D get som bonuses very late in the game due to his race?
    mjs
    He does but they aren't actually PnP tiefling bonuses, they're just special Haer'Dalis bonuses (presumably because he is a tiefling, but it is never actually stated). He gets 15% immunity to all types of physical damage (pierce/slash/blunt) and 25% immunity to fire and cold, whereas PnP 2E tieflings just get 50% cold immunity and a +2 save bonus against certain things.
    Astafasmjs
    Wow, I just found out that Tieflings get a -1 bonus to THAC0!! Saw it stated on my inventory page in the field to the right of the THAC0 number ("Tiefling: -1"), then switched race to human with EEKeeper to control and the bonus disappeared. I'm very pleased!
    That's interesting. I'm pretty sure my tiefling doesn't have that bonus. =/
    Astafas
    edited December 2013
    I'm using a long sword, could be connected to weapon type?

Edited: Yeah, the bonus only applies to long swords and short swords!
    EudaemoniumjackjackRnRClown
    Hmmm. Let me check… Ah, yes, you're right. Tieflings in BG2 get -1 THAC0 with longswords and shortswords. Good to know.
    AstafasRnRClown

Hmmm. Let me check… Ah, yes, you're right. Tieflings in BG2 get -1 THAC0 with longswords and shortswords. Good to know.

With the horns as well, we're pretty darn unstoppable! :-D
    Eudaemonium
    I have to admit, it kind of bothers me, because its not PnP-based at all, and now I feel like I'm cheating if I use a longsword or shortsword on my tiefling XP
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    edited December 2013
    Hmmm.. that's really interesting/odd.. am really curious what source this -1 THAC0 is based on.. um.. are you using Entropy btw? (Edit: ah no.. guess not.. you said Longsword.)

Don't ever make a bet with a tiefling. - Planar proverb.
    Kurumi said:

Hmmm.. that's really interesting/odd.. am really curious what source this -1 THAC0 is based on.. um.. are you using Entropy btw?

Don't ever make a bet with a tiefling. - Planar proverb.

Nope.
    edited December 2013
    No it seem to apply to any Longsword or Shortsword. I tried it with The Equaliser, Blackrazor and Kundane, since they were what i had on me. I also tried it with the Hawksight Scimitar, but didn't get the bonus for that.

EDIT: My bet is that they just did it to buff Haer'Dalis a bit more, since the resistances he gets aren't PnP-based either.
    Kurumijackjack

No it seem to apply to any Longsword or Shortsword. I tried it with The Equaliser, Blackrazor and Kundane, since they were what i had on me. I also tried it with the Hawksight Scimitar, but didn't get the bonus for that.

EDIT: My bet is that they just did it to buff Haer'Dalis a bit more, since the resistances he gets aren't PnP-based either.

Yup.. guess you are right.
    My Tiefling Berserker(9)/Mage is a natural with his long sword, so don't anyone go and report this as a bug now!! ;-)
    KurumiEudaemoniumjackjack
    edited December 2013
    Its kind of odd, though, since it implies that tieflings do actually have coded racial benefits, however you *don't* gain Haer'Dalis' unique resistances. They seem to be coded specifically to him rather than to 'tieflings in general'. =/

EDIT: Aha! I have figured it out. They also gain a bonus with Shortbows. I think they are using the Elven proficiency benefits!
    KurumiAstafasjackjack
    Hehe.. no no ~ don't worry '^_^' ~ Oho.. another Rage Mage.. nice!

Its kind of odd, though, since it implies that tieflings do actually have coded racial benefits, however you *don't* gain Haer'Dalis' unique resistances. They seem to be coded specifically to him rather than to 'tieflings in general'. =/

EDIT: Aha! I have figured it out. They also gain a bonus with Shortbows. I think they are using the Elven proficiency benefits!

Ahhh.. now that could really be it!
    Rage Mage is such a great phrase. And it would only really be worth reporting as a bug if tiefling became a proper player race, so I think we can let it slide. ;)

I guess Haer'Dalis using the elf model was more than cosmetic, though, which is an interesting discovery.
    AstafasKurumi
    Kurumi said:

Hehe.. no no ~ don't worry '^_^' ~ Oho.. another Rage Mage.. nice!

He's usually very calm and calculated, your typical mage. But sometimes in battle... well, he just looses it, probably due to his heritage. Rather fearful to behold, actually. :-D
    Kurumi