Skip to content

[Known, #5268] [CORE] - Harper's Call Bug

AthiuenAthiuen Member Posts: 28
edited September 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
Expected Behaviour: The spells functions as 'Raise Dead'.

Observed Behaviour: The Spell inflicts 8 damage on the caster with no other effects (observed twice).
Post edited by Illydth on
JuliusBorisovWolfosErgCrevsDaakMetallomanBigity

Comments

• VicardVicard Member Posts: 10
    This is not a bug. The spell is intended to work like that.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Sounds like the character isn't revive though they mentioned no other effects
  • VicardVicard Member Posts: 10
    Oh bugger. Should have read it more carefully...
  • wildwild Member Posts: 43
    edited November 2013
    I am noticing damage coming too early and interrupts casting I think. Minsc died escaping and now trying raise him with jaheira all that happens is she takes damage.
    JuliusBorisovElessarCrevsDaak
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Perhaps changing the timing of the damage opcode on the spell to "delayed" would make it so that her casting isn't disrupted. I'll look into that this weekend.
    Wolfos
  • WateversWatevers Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2013
    Doesn't that spell only work on elves or something? Or maybe I'm confusing it with Resurrection.
    Watevers said:

Doesn't that spell only work on elves or something? Or maybe I'm confusing it with Resurrection.

it's either druid or only Jaheira. don't know which myself
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    There is definitely something wrong with Harper's Call. I set the damage to be delayed, gave Jaheira both Harper's Call and Raise Dead, killed Minsc, saved, then tried to bring him back. Raise Dead worked normally, bringing him back with 1 hit point; however, Harper's Call did nothing--he stayed dead and then 2 rounds later the damage hit Jaheira. Although it appears that they are both using the opcode "raise dead" the same way, the Harper's Call one isn't working.
    withnail
    I guess I will add raise dead to Jaheira then, since she is supposed to be my divine caster!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I confirm it too. Jaheira has tried to resurrect Minsk but in the last second of casting this spell has taken the damage thus precenting the spell to succeed.
    CrevsDaaklolien
  • CherudekCherudek Member Posts: 73
    edited November 2013
    The spell is actually cast according to the log. I think the issue might be that the temporary constitution malus kills the target again, since he/she is raised with only 1 hitpoint.
    ErgMarethian
  • MythrialusMythrialus Member Posts: 137
    Yes, I can also confirm the observed behavior of Harper's Call; my Minsc won't come back to life either. I'm going to try the fix now. On another note...why does Minsc die in several alternate realities?
  • MythrialusMythrialus Member Posts: 137
    prophet1 said:

Cherudek said:

The spell is actually cast according to the log. I think the issue might be that the temporary constitution malus kills the target again, since he/she is raised with only 1 hitpoint.

Looks like you're right - after editing the spell to remove the effect responsible for the temporary CON penalty, it worked. I'm attaching the .SPL file for anyone interested in a temporary fix (unzip and put into your BG2EE override folder). It's not the best solution since in vanilla BG2 the spell worked perfectly iirc while also applying all penalties per description, but for now this will do the trick.
    Excellent, placed an "override" folder in the "My Documents/BGII:EE" folder, unzipped the fix into it, and Harper's Call worked just like it was supposed. Quick and excellent job!
  • jameskerjamesker Member Posts: 99
    edited November 2013
    Jaheira's harpers call spell is taking the 15 damage to Jaheira however isn't reviving any fallen comrades that are selected.
    the other thread on this issue has a fix :)
  • BiffordBifford Member Posts: 3
    Jan just got stomped by a troll and for some reason Jaheira's rez spell is not working on him.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    this is an odd spell to me because at first it didn't work it didn't work now it does, has there been an update im not aware of? if not then i suggest:

having your team, save, kill someone raise (and thus fail) reload, kill someone and then raise again
    or
    have team, save, kill someone, raise (and thus fail) quit game, load game, kill someone, raise

one of these two worked and now harpers call works flawlessly even on people who get chunked (hexxat got chunked at the De'arnie's castle by the spellcaster boss thing and it worked fine)

ill have a play around when i get back from the opticians and see whats actually happening for me when i cast it....of course if there has been a ninja update dis-regard this and thank who ever fixed it properly
    JuliusBorisov
    ok i had a play around and murdered neera violently to test the spell on her, the spell seems to cast then damage there is a sound and then a split second later jaheira. @Athiuen did you try any of my suggestions to get it working?
  • AvenelAvenel Member Posts: 94
    I had the same thing happen to me with Jaheira's Harper's Call spell. She casts it, you can hear the associated sound, but then nothing happens. Poor Aerie....
    try what i did as an experiment and tell me the results and in the mean time ill try and think of som-....i just had an idea.....its crazy but after thinking about it most of the times when ive cast it jaheira's already been hurt...so....

if someone dies and jaheira is healthy....poke her with a stick and then try it
    ok update, the spells seems to have been broken which caused massive problem with me, i cast harpers call on minsc, he was raised, went instantly berserk and then lost his con bonus and died again, but going berserk cause aerie and neera to run away and get killed >_>.....seems the spell has done goofed and broke again
  • AvenelAvenel Member Posts: 94
    I have tried having Jaheira casting Harper's Call when she is both hurt and at full health, and either way, the spell does not work. I think it must be broken.
  • browndog23browndog23 Member Posts: 1
    Harpers Call worked for me up until I needed to raise Mazzy in the under water city. I used the spell possibly five or six times up until that point but then it failed...
  • toshirotoshiro Member Posts: 113
    edited November 2013
    It does appear that it is bugged the raising should happen first then the damage to her, I have noticed it's not only thing that has a timing bug using potions and using skills seem to suffer from timing bug also, adding the extra dialogue seems to have triggered it, since I noticed they will be saying something while the screen will show other dialogue.
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    This is listed in the bugtracker as issue 5268.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    prophet1 said:

Cherudek said:

Looks like you're right - after editing the spell to remove the effect responsible for the temporary CON penalty, it worked. I'm attaching the .SPL file for anyone interested in a temporary fix (unzip and put into your BG2EE override folder). It's not the best solution since in vanilla BG2 the spell worked perfectly iirc while also applying all penalties per description, but for now this will do the trick.
    What if the spell followed this sequence instead?
    1. Raise with full hp
    2. Penalize all stats by 5
    3. Reduce HP to 1
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    Expect Behavior: In addition to the other effects of the spell, the targeted character should be raised from the dead as per raise dead.

Behavior: All effects (as far as I can tell) from the spell trigger except the raising of the character.

Yoshimo died and I could not get Jaheira to ressurect him. Does anybody have a solution for this?
  • XukuthXukuth Member Posts: 78
    edited December 2013
    It's a known issue (#5268). For a temporary fix check this thread.
    that sounds like it could be cheated around, maybe ability penalty first as i guess being dead means any kind of stat reduction resistance doesn't apply then heal to full then down to 1, then hurt caster