Skip to content

New player having a problem with first playthough.

Hi. So i went to 2nd chapter without finishing the quests for the 1st chapter and now it seems I'm behind on XP while trying to take on the boss in 2nd chapter. Is it really impossible to go back to unfinished 1st chapter quests? And is it possible to level the characters to level 2 in 2nd chapter? I'm asking because i skipped so many quests accidentally by this problem so my character are all a long way to level 2. Thanks.

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Are u talking about BG 1? I'll assume that you are.

Other than a few very possible exceptions (none that I can recall right now), moving onto a new chapter does not stop you from completing previous quests. You can still look at journal and quest logs from previous chapters to check what you haven't finished yet.

If you want to find some easier content before going into the Nashkel Mines, I refer you to this thread...

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/27125/where-to-go-first-aka-how-do-i-know-how-powerful-the-next-enemy-will-be

Some handy advice in there for new players.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    The chapter you get the quests in doesn't matter- you can complete the quests at any time. They'll wait very patiently. For the most part the main quest also follows this rule, so feel free to just not fight the boss (I'm guessing you're in the mines?) and come back later, once you've got some levels.
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    edited December 2013
    Outside of the prologue, there aren't too many quests that are no longer accessible. Most of the quests, whether easy or hard, are available from start to finish of the game, if you can get to them. They also don't leave your journal, they just go to the tab of the previous chapter.

If you are already at the Chapter 2 boss, you can certainly backtrack and do some more quests and come back.

Having said that, it's not unusual to have several level 1 characters at that point in the game, especially if you have multi-class characters. You may just need to change your strategy. Make sure you are using Resist/Remove Fear before the fight begins, and make sure you position your people to protect your low hit point or low armor class people so they won't be primary targets. Turn Undead can help if you have it, and having your magic users all focus on the boss so his spells are interrupted.

Also, do you have a full party of six? It's definitely easier to have six level ones than, say three or four level ones.
  • Ahh found the chapter 1 quests. Thought they were lost and was gonna start a new game. Thanks guys :D
  • I have neither resist/remove fear spell or turn undead available in any of my 6 characters. Maybe i have a bad setup as well. :P
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Turn Undead is a Cleric Ability. I don't personally find it very useful, but if you have a party lacking melee fighters, I guess it can help keep undead at a safer distance.

Remove/Resist Fear are lv1 Priest and Arcane spells that do the same thing (provides protection from Horror, which enemies love to throw at u). I didn't realise how useful it was until deep into BG 2. It should be commonly available from Arcane scrolls and I think Clerics (maybe druids too) learn them as their most basic spells.
    You can buy mage spells at the High Hedge map, west of Beregost- well, assuming you have a mage, of course. :)
  • Thanks guys :)
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    Turn Undead is useful at the Chapter Two boss mainly to reduce the number of enemies coming at you. That boss in particular will cast Fear/Horror almost immediately and ruin your day. He also casts Hold Person, but there isn't much you can do about that spell at level 1. If you have no cleric to cast Resist Fear or Turn Undead, try using the mage spell Sleep. That will also reduce how many monsters you are facing and if you are lucky, the boss will also be affected. I know he can be hit with Command, but that is a cleric spell as well.

I will just reiterate that positioning is everything in that fight, you want all your squishy party members all the way inside near the boss, so they don't get targeted by adds. You want the ones who are attacking the boss to have magic weapons, if possible, to increase their chances to hit, or just hit him with spells and wands that he can't avoid. Interrupting his casting will make the fight much easier.
  • Want to remind all players that Rollplay, Dungeons & Dragons is tonight on twitch.tv/itmejp. :)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Heindrich1988 use Anomen while he is Turning Undead against vampires, they get AUTOCHUNKED!!! It is instantly, and it is AMAZING how it turns out battles against vampires so easily. And it does not get out of RP reasons, it is common to Turn Undead while Undeads are near, and, well, it is cheesy too!! :P
    @Time4Tiddy yeah, positioning is a little bit more than everything, today while fighting in the final battle with Ascension (BG2:ToB, still having the original), the PC got surrounded by five demons, and a Power Word Stun >.< anyway, all the others helped a lot, not to mention those three Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting in the Contingecy at 50% Hit Points to self, it killed ALL the demons, well the Anomen made a Critical Chsee, ur, em, I meant Critical Hit on the Marilith and she died, while the PC had 70% HP :D XD :P
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    If you have any elves, note that they have an inherent 90% resistance to Hold Person, making them good to attract the attention of the Chapter 2 boss until he runs out of Hold Spells. Even a half-elf is better than nothing, since they still have a 30% chance of just resisting the spell outright.
    Pantalion said:

If you have any elves, note that they have an inherent 90% resistance to Hold Person, making them good to attract the attention of the Chapter 2 boss until he runs out of Hold Spells. Even a half-elf is better than nothing, since they still have a 30% chance of just resisting the spell outright.

Are you sure about that? The Elf/Half-Elf resistances should be only for Charm and Sleep.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Mitchfork is correct. Elves have no innate resistance to Hold Spells. The best advice I can give is… BUFF. Buff the party with scrolls (you can purchase these in certain shops, but Thalantyr in High Hedge has the best selection, bar none, until you get to Baldur's Gate itself.

If you need a good place to pick up extra EXP, if you go to the Gnoll Fortress and head south/down, there are caves filled with Xvarts that have some really nice treasure, and a cave with a Tome of Leadership and Influence (Charisma +1) in it. Also, one with a carrion Crawler, but that whole area has some nice treasure. Gnarl and Hairtooth have the Gauntlets of Dexterity, and so on.

Right above the little peninsula/Isle where the Gnoll Fortress is- that's where you can find Brage, who is in the southeast of the area. Agree not to kill him when you encounter his sister, answer his riddle (Death) and return him to the Temple of Helm in Nashkel for some nice money and exp. (Talk to the Priest at the Temple first so that your characters have the option not to kill him).
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @LadyRhian I think you don't have to talk to Nalin before talking to Brage to enable the option to carry him there instead of killing him, or maybe you have to in the newer versions. And you can kill Nalin AND Brage with no reputation loss when you come back from that mission, Nalin has a Mace+1, a Plate Mail, gold and a potion, non of them is worth killing if you 1) Are good and making it very RP and 2) Don't even need XP, they give like 3000 each one.
    My easy XP is in Beregost, talk to Marl and select dialog options 1, 1, 3, 3, 1 and he will give you 900 XP, then go for Silke, if you have a thief, you can try to set a trap, try saving and reloading, the trap will auto-kill her. Then you have 4 Huge Spiders worth 270 XP, if you have the wizard spell "Sleep" you won't have any trouble, if not, traveling disables poison effects and don't deals anymore damage, good luck that house is so near the border XD, you can also buy a book and give it to FIrebead Elvenhair (the quest will only trigger if you talk to him with the PC (or Imoen in the newest versions) and have more than 100 gold), for 300 XP, then, Marl is worth 650 but it will cost you reputation if you already talked to him and selected 1, 1, 3, 3, 1. You can try in the Carnival also, there are a mage with a Knave Robe inside a small tent, also you should talk to a guy dressed in yellow to see the Amazing Oaph exploding two times and then attacking your party, then you can kill him for 270 XP (I don't remember it correctly) and a random treasure drop.