Skip to content

Top 5 Likes and Dislikes. What's yours?

SporvanSporvan Member Posts: 31
Top 5 things you hate and love about this game...

Like:

1. The AD&D rules - the rules edition I grew up with and enjoyed.

2. Bards Stronghold. The most fun stronghold in the game. Wish it had more plays added.

3. Dorn being bisexual and allowing for alternative romances.

4. Wild mages and their ridiculous unpredictability. Just wish Neera wasn't the only NPC choice (see dislikes).

5. Falling in love all over again with a series I played over a decade ago. The fresh makeover on a work of art.

Dislike:

1. NPCs initiating dialog to party members when I have a max charisma leader and want to roleplay the conversation. Reload reload reload.

2. Pathing. Corridors are the stuff of nightmares.

3. Neera's voice. The style is anachronistic and too modern for the series ("You rang?"). It doesn't help that a coworker I hated had the exact same voice. Rewrite her.

4. Druids getting shafted on shapeshifting and feeling incomplete with their spell list.

5. Vampire level drain.

Thanks for the awesomeness of the Enhanced edition! Black Isle and Beamdog rocks!

Comments

• velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    edited December 2013
    Like: almost the whole game in general.
    Special mention: Imoen, Jaheira

Dislike:
    1) Stupid system of reputation.
    2) Teribble HLA (druids and priest have almost the same HLA, monks have fighter´s, sorcerer mage´s, some are completly useless, some are overpowered...)
    3) The fact that monks have fighter´s stronghold.
    4) ToB in general.

• KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    LIKE:
    1. It's (A)D&D<4.0
    2. The story & legendary characters (incl. party banter etc.)
    3. The included spells
    4. The strongholds
    5. The included classes/kits (even though there still could be some more :) !!!)

DISLIKE:
    1. Pathfinding
    2. Bugs
    3. Several hardcoded dual/multiclass restrictions, that usually would be valid (PnP)
    4. Lack of race choices for CHARNAME
    5. Some intentional- vs.-PnP rules choices
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    LIKE:
    1. Characters. At least most of the characters, my favourite being either Jaheira or Imoen. As for villains, Sarevok.
    2. Isometric view. I just love it.
    3. Lots of abillities, skills, spells. There is much of these to choose from, even thought many are useless.
    4. Plot. BG is the first game that made me care for plot.
    5. It makes me use my imagination. Yep.

DISLIKE:
    1. Pathfinding. Something I hoped would be improved in BG:EE, but hell no.
    2. Bugs. But I think these will be eliminated sooner or later.
    3. Dual-classing. Is has no sense role-playing wise.
    4. Sorcerors. A mage for a people, who once finished the game. And I hate entire concept of it. Instead of using knowledge, study and practice, Sorcerors are using just natural talent. And that's annoying.
    5. Lack of full Polish version support. It supposed to be in BG:EE at least, since it was advertised.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    LIKE:
    1. Half-Orcs being a playable race.
    2. NPC's have well written banters (especially in BG2:EE).
    3. The fact that no matter how often I play, the games will not get bored.
    4. The modding community and their tireless efforts to make these awesome games even more awesome. :)
    5. Jan Jansen and his love for turnips.

DISLIKE:
    1. Drizzt Do'Urden.
    2. That clerics are limited to only three(!) deity choices from out of over 46 Faerûnian pantheons, plus countless demihuman pantheons, as well as specific ethnic pantheons (such as the Mulhorandi gods, for instance).
    3. The lack of most of the AD&D PnP Druid's abilities, spells and shapeshifting forms.
    4. The lack of most of the AD&D PnP wizard familiars. Oh, and that the present familiars are fixed to alignments for whatever odd reason.
    5. The fact that wizard schools are implemented as frigging kits. (Urgh!)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2013

1. The NPC's: They all provide something different to bring to the table.
    2. The writing: I think both the originals and the additional content in the EE's were well written (with the exception of some of some of the major Bhaalspawn/enemies in ToB)
    3. The number of spells and the fact that by in large you don't have to make a new game to try most if not all of them out.
    4. The background art
    5. The many options for class selection

Dislike

1. Pathfinding
    2. Bugs (especially centipedes)
    3. The fact that after 12+ years there really hasn't been a similar styled game that has surpassed it.
    4. (As mentioned above) The writing for some of the Bhaalspawn/enemies in ToB. Especially
    Melissan, Balthazar, and Sendai.

5. Gamaz's voice work (he has some weird rolling of his r's that don't fit in)
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    in no order

most of the characters and there writing(bar a few exceptions)
    magic system
    the world and the art of it
    diversity of character options
    setting and story

dislikes:
    the fact clerics only get 3 gods available to them and I don't like any of them
    not enough shorty characters in bg2
    path finding
    some seriously undeveloped characters
    Very few classes available to certain races
  • DeathKnightDeathKnight Member Posts: 93
    2) Corrected some bugs
    3) Easier multiplayer matching/pairing
    4) Shows your rolled stats total number
    5) More sounds and portraits? I think...

Dislikes:
    1) New bugs
    2) Allowed all ranger kits to dual, in original only beastmaster could
    3) No more keeping items from 1 at beginning black screen
    4) No more glitches
    5) No more item duplication
    6) No more xp loopholes
    7) No more easy moneymaking with exploiting glitches
    8) No cape of balduran in 2EE (in 1 you could keep with trick)
    9) No more summon 5x planetars
    10) No more chain contigency 3x greater chaos shield to eliminate surges entirely
    11) No more overcoming the 5x summoned creatures limit
    12) No more cheese

All in all, i personally got very disappointed with the vast majority of corrections. I would be better off happier, if it was an exact copy of the original with better graphics and cross platform multiplayer only. Besides, BG2 was a legend and still is, as is.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    5 is too many, how about 3 :D

- The magic. It's complex and I love it. Mage fights are fun. I like the spell protection/removal/breach dynamic as well as the fact that sometimes a mage will leave a gap in their defenses and if you spot it you can splatter him without going through all that.

- The characters. Even the ones I don't care for I don't hate, even if they annoy me at times (looking at you, Neera). And the good ones are awesome, like Jan (we're trying to discuss destiny here, will you shut up about turnips!), Mazzy and Monty (coolest halflings alive or dead), Imoen (how are you so cute!) and Viconia (you are an evil bitch but I intend to change that)

- The items. I love the little stories about each one, the random useless ones, the ones that turn weaklings into gods and everything in between.

Dislikes:
    - The writing can be... inconsistent. Perhaps it's my imagination but there are some places where I can tell the dialogue has been written by different people or characterization changed. It's not like a book, written by one author with one vision throughout.

- How easy it is to cheese. I know it can't be avoided completely, but some of it is so simple, like walking out the door when a spell is coming, that you can't help stumbling upon it and then it becomes the path of least resistance for all future battles.

- The balance. Yes, seriously, I want balance in my single player games. I want wizard slayers to be good and fighter>mages to be nerfed. I want to be able to backstab everything as a thief and not have to resort to trap shenanigans. I want shapeshifters with more forms, not less and sucky ones at that.
  • hummer010hummer010 Member Posts: 95
    mch202 said:

Sporvan said:

3. Neera's voice. The style is anachronistic and too modern for the series ("You rang?"). It doesn't help that a coworker I hated had the exact same voice. Rewrite her.

[Offtopic]

Just to note that the "You rang?" expression is not modern at all, maybe people think it is if they associate it with a phone, But actually in the past high-class citizens called their servants by using a bell..

Also the expression became famous from the show "The Addams Family" , from wiki:

The family summons him with an ever-present bell pull (in the form of a hangman's noose). When pulled, it produces a loud gong noise that shakes the house, to which Lurch instantly appears and responds, "You rang?", even if wide-angle shots reveal that he was clearly nowhere in the vicinity before; on a few occasions Lurch arrives even before the bell pull is tugge
    [/Offtopic]

I was just about to post the same thing. It's been a common complaint about Neera, and it's unfounded.

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2013

Dislikes:
    4) No more glitches
    5) No more item duplication
    6) No more xp loopholes
    7) No more easy moneymaking with exploiting glitches
    10) No more chain contigency 3x greater chaos shield to eliminate surges entirely
    12) No more cheese

We should make a monument in memory of the old, good powergaming runs we did in those times.

2)Jan Jansen
    4)@Anduin
    3)Xzar's voice set.
    8)Munchkin über cheesy swords like Foebane+5.
    1)Spellhold
    7)@KidCarnival 's cousin, also known as Spectator or Observer, a verypervy Beholder.

Good luck there are still many things that can be exploited, like the "keymapping contingencies" and Two Project I mages at the same time.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Cool idea for a thread. :)

1. The original NPCs: Most of them are very rounded characters who I have a hard time mistreating. It makes me feel bad. That's called good characterization. There are of course counterexamples for me personally such as Korgan, Imoen, and Cernd.
    2. Isometric view with pre-rendered graphics: Nowadays the pre-rendering is no longer necessary, but it took us a fairly long time to get to that point. It's still endearing to me. And isometric view is nice and consistent. Everything is built around playing at that angle and as such it looks great instead of having to deal with crappy camera angles.
    3. 2nd Edition AD&D: I'm very familiar with it. Easy for me. I can understand it being a pain for others.
    4. Diversity of abilities and classes and all that: Lots of opportunity for many playthroughs, replay value is very important in making a good game.
    5. Setting: It's a very pretty game! Decently immersive, though not IWD status.

Dislikes:
    1. The new NPCs: I was pretty hyped for them only to be extraordinarily disappointed with their overall flatness, especially Dorn. They feel like your average NPC mod. Terrible.
    2. Not enough shorties: Halfling is my favorite race. Gnomes and Dwarves are awesome too. Why so little love for them?
    3. Really inconsistent writing: It's pretty obvious where the new author is writing as opposed to the old writers. It's painful.
    4. Easy to cheese: It's gotten a lot better with the EEs thankfully but still there is some cheese that is just plain innate to the series. Closing doors and everything else. It gives the game next to no sense of urgency.
    5. Killing off all my favorite NPCs: ENOUGH DAMN SAID, SCREW YOU BIOWARE. :'D
  • AnterosAnteros Member Posts: 37
    Like:
    -The Original NPCs: I like their personalities, their dialogs, and interactions.

-The spellcasting: few rpgs offer such thrilling tactical battles between mages.

-The romances: very nice addition, makes you feel more implicated in the story and makes you relate more personally to some characters.

-The writing: nice plot, dialog, epic storytelling, romance, humor, plenty of easter eggs and references.

-Most kits except for the sorcerer and cleric kits: they change the classes' gameplay and vastly increase the game's replayability

Dislike:
    -The lack of actual enhancement to the game's experience: there are so many things that could be added to these games, from more new classes, kits, and multiclassing options (where are my shamans, ninjas, gallants and druid/mage?) to new races, spells, more developped companions... many of it was done very well by independant modders, to great acclaim. Why couldn't beamdog do as well? Frankly, I regret that the enhanced edition didn't use 3.5 d&d rules. Now, that would have been an enhancement!

-The new companions: compared to the originals, they lack depht, nuance and substance.

-The new Dragon Disciple and old cleric kits: they don't bring anything new or interesting to the game.

-The lack of non combat options. I'd like more occcasions to use a character intelligece, charisma or sneakiness.

-The endings. Especially that of Neutral!Viconia if the Bhaalspawn doesn't ascend. I would prefer to see the main ccharacter's choices and actions have more impact on the game's different endings.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345

Dislikes:

You can still keep them using this mod.

Both of these were externalized in SUMMLIMT.2DA. If anything it's been made easier and more accessible to decide how many creatures of each type you can summon.

• CaelithCaelith Member Posts: 8
    More specific to BG2:

Love:

1. Lots of fun and interesting items.
    2. The solution to a quest or puzzle isn't just pointed out by an arrow on the map, you actually have to READ or talk to NPCs.
    3. Kits, even the new ones, give lots of variety.
    4. Different combinations of party members have different interactions.
    5. "I'LL RIP YOU APART, YOU WHEYFACED CUR!"

Hate:

1. Race restricted classes and dual classing.
    2. Being able to click the rest button to gain your health and spells.
    3. Trying to identify items when you don't have a mage (or have Edwin as your mage)
    4. Not being able to pick your stronghold.
    5. The proficiency system. Why can't my cleric wield a sword?
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    1. 2E - AD&D Rules. Don't ever change.
    2. New NPC's content
    3. Rest of the game - general revival of one of my all time favorite games

Dislikes:

1. Inventory Tetris. While things are better with deeper containers, you can still top them out. Come on, that flame gem really takes up as much space in your backpack as that full suit of plate mail?
    2. Pathing. yeah, I know. Nothing to be done about it.
    3. Multi-classed characters only being able to play one Stronghold (or was that a rumor???)
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    1. I'm still playing a game that's been out for 16 years, and I've been actively playing it for over a decade myself.
    2. Minsc, I might not always take him, but he and boo have a special place in my gaming heart, that is matched only by Garrus. (Fun fact: When playing Mists of Pandaria, the first time I heard Lorewalker Cho speak I blurted out "That's MINSC!")
    3. The sheer diversity, I've beat BG1 twice, once with a stalker, once with a cavalier and bgee once at this point (with an evil blade), and I know I still have a TON of variety I can go through. I have barely even scratched the NPC list in either game. (Disclaimer: I've beaten ToB once, with the Cavalier, and I feel dirty cause I was always keepering her proficiencies from BG1 all the tway through ToB. I beat just SoA with a stalker before the save corrupted.).
    4. There is elven chain mail in BGEE now
    5. Varscona and Ashadeen: 2 weapons still buttkicking for Goodness after all this time

Dislike:
    1. When I Keeper proficiencies on a character, I feel dirty afterwards. That's why I limited my fighter/cleric I'm currently running to the one I did last night to get rid of slings.
    2. No matter how much you babysit Rasaad in BGEE, you never feel like he's beginning to take care of himself.
    3. I wish some NPCs were available earlier, simply because I tend to beeline for my party before I quest.
    4. Limited amount of clerical choices for kits and the limited weapon choices for clerics. I would have liked to see Helmite clerics allowed Bastard swords for instance.
    5. Racial restrictions on classes/multi-classes and that multi-class characters can't get grand mastery like their Dual-class counterparts.
  • FablewyndFablewynd Member Posts: 79
    edited December 2013

(Fun fact: When playing Mists of Pandaria, the first time I heard Lorewalker Cho speak I blurted out "That's MINSC!")

Same. Whenever I hear Jim Cummings in anything (and his voice is so recognisable) I immediately think 'Minsc'. He did a great job as Cho, though. You can tell Blizz liked his work, since they kept bringing him back constantly.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    1) The fact that Grey DeLisle has contributed her lovely voice to these games.
    2) Umm, uhh, umm, uhh... The one NPC selected clip, "You are more than welcome in my sight.". MAKES ME MELT
    3) This is a fine Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Computer Role-Playing Game product. It was my first
    (Advanced) Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition Role-Playing Game experience.
    4) Shar-Teel. She's all, "Hold my hoops, I'm gonna kick Eldoth's ass.", and I'm like, "You got it!". And I'm the star! Sometimes, I polish her hoops while she's wrenching her sword from several awkward places in his body.
    5) The obnoxious bands of adventurers in the first game. Aww, so cute. :3 Thanks for the lewt.

DISLIKES
    1) Those dweebs who kidnapped Abela the Nymph in Baldur's Gate. YOU ARE BAD MEN. ARGH! Thanks for the ring. :3 Got fat fingers. Had to cut it off. Fatty Fat-Fingers.
    2) Some monsters are preeeetty underwhelming. I understand that ogre mages can't fly in this engine due to limitations, but where are the other terrifying abilities, like regeneration and polymorphing themselves?
    3) Anything that involves Nalia de'Arnise being sad. I get that grief is a part of life, but stop making Nalia sad, world! ;___;
    4) That the games end.
    5) Jaheira's stupid sidequests in Shadows of Amn. Take your baggage on the way out.

LIKES - Enhanced
    1) Neera. She is mai waifu.
    2) The bugfixes, oh god the bugfixes.
    3) Mod compatability!
    4) DLC! I bet there'll be all sorts of cool new DLCs in the future.
    5) New kits! Dragon Disciple, i liek u :3

DISLIKES - Enhanced
    1) That animate dead no longer summons a ****ton of ghasts in EE. :(
    2) Some cheese was grated.
    3) Shar-Teel's weapon prof#FirstWorldProblemsFixItWithEEKeeper
    4) WeiDU set-up is ****ed up. :(
    5) Contractual obligations. Like, there's the whole existence of them being a damper on the parade, and then there's The Powers That Be having to shoot down some awesome ideas because of them.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    1. Strongholds. Would be nice if they were available in BG1.
    2. Gnomes... I love those little freaks.
    3. The detailed weapons and armour.
    4. The monsters...
    5. The NPCs...

DISLIKES:
    1. Death makes no sense... NPCs can die a million times with no side effects, but Charname dies once and it's game over? Ok, he's a bhaalspawn... but what about EVERYONE else in the world? How come none of your enemies ever come back from the dead? And why can't you resurrect Gorion? He's minutes away from a friendly temple!

2. High level magic... I don't mind simple magics, like Blind, Slow, etc... But when a wizard kills my entire group with a wave of his hand, I start getting bored.

3. Reputation system... You could be the scourge of the Sword Coast, but pay some coin to a temple and suddenly you're everybody's hero...

4. Romance... It makes me wanna stab myself.
    5. Novel characters... Drizzt, Elminster, etc.
  • FablewyndFablewynd Member Posts: 79
    edited December 2013

DISLIKES:
    1. Death makes no sense... NPCs can die a million times with no side effects, but Charname dies once and it's game over? Ok, he's a bhaalspawn... but what about EVERYONE else in the world? How come none of your enemies ever come back from the dead? And why can't you resurrect Gorion? He's minutes away from a friendly temple!.

I think the cinematic when you die implies that the same thing happens to you as what happened to Sarevok when he died; he disintegrates into sparkly dust and your essence goes back to Bhaal, so resurrecting you is no simple feat, given that even Sarevok can't be resurrected fully. You're right about the others, but whenever you add resurrecting as a mechanic in a game it always leaves things open to plot holes, sadly; gameplay>story sometimes :(
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

5. I'm running out of things to say... Um... Uh... THE LACK OF COOKIES!

Game = spoiled for me :(
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    NOT TRUE.
    [spoiler/] Cespenar finds a cookie in your sack [/spoiler]
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    edited December 2013

NOT TRUE.
    Cespenar finds a cookie in your sack

Ugggh... that is no cookie! ;)
    Post edited by Kurumi on
  • GreenpaktoGreenpakto Member Posts: 80
    edited December 2013
    Shin said:

Dislikes:

You can still keep them using this mod.

Both of these were externalized in SUMMLIMT.2DA. If anything it's been made easier and more accessible to decide how many
    creatures of each type you can summon.

Well that MOD doesnt let you keep items on import-export :P He was talking about the "bug" that
    allowed you to keep your items when starting OVER Baldurs Gate 2. For many it was considered just a
    bug, but for many it felt like it was supposed to be that way, purely because thats what you could do in
    baldurs gate and iwd.
    That particular "bug-fix" is trash imo,
    Post edited by Greenpakto on
    Fablewynd said:

(Fun fact: When playing Mists of Pandaria, the first time I heard Lorewalker Cho speak I blurted out "That's MINSC!")

Same. Whenever I hear Jim Cummings in anything (and his voice is so recognisable) I immediately think 'Minsc'. He did a great job as Cho, though. You can tell Blizz liked his work, since they kept bringing him back constantly.
    He had a regular appearance on the Clone Wars Cartoon. And yeah, very distinctive voice.

3. Reputation system... You could be the scourge of the Sword Coast, but pay some coin to a temple and suddenly you're everybody's hero...

Agreed. The system should be less like real life than this.

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    edited December 2013
    Kurumi said:

NOT TRUE.
    Cespenar finds a cookie in your sack [/spoiler]

Ugggh... that is no cookie! ;)
    The [/spoiler] broke the forums!
    [/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Ummm ... did @booinyoureyes managed to break this page? LOL