Skip to content

Obsidian’s Bold Future: Eternity Meets Skyrim?

KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
Found an interesting article over @ Rock, Paper, Shotgun.. read about CEO Feargus Urquhart's (Obsidian's) plans for the future..
“I’m happy to make Eternity, and the hope is to come up with another Kickstarter that people would be interested in. My hope is that by March or April of next year, we’ll have something we can kind of start talking to people about.”
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/14/obsidians-bold-future-eternity-meets-skyrim-a-second-ks/

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    elminsterFredjo
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Inbe4 a lot of Skyrim nay-sayers and haters...

*ahem*

Well, I like where Eternity's heading at, and I like Skyrim a lot too, so I'll be keeping an eye on this project. :)

Sylph
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Just keep the isometric view, and maybe be I buy it.
    Take it out and make it a Fantasy Action Game like Skyrim, you have out.
    It is easy.
    booinyoureyes
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I like Obsidian, they have always been one of my favourite developers, and they seem to be improving all the time.

I am still going to remain a kickstarter nay-sayer though
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaak

Yeah, I've got to admit - all the 'donate $100 and have an item/weapon/character/place named after you!' turns me off. Will that sort of thing sour the game experience at all? Once Eternity is released, we'll have a better idea.

This immediately turned me off. I don't want a game full of references to rich kids who don't know what else to spend their pocket money on. Another blatant money trap, I see. Forget it, not interested anymore.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

This immediately turned me off. I don't want a game full of references to rich kids who don't know what else to spend their pocket money on. Another blatant money trap, I see. Forget it, not interested anymore.

You're being overly judgemental. Those "rich kids" are part of the reason these sorts of projects ever get into the millions of dollars. You should be grateful they're helping Obsidian, one of the most underrated developers around, make a game on their own terms.

[Deleted User]Eudaemonium
    If I'd had the money to spend, the mentions/names/items/all that stuff won't be a reference only to ME, it would be like a tremendous easter egg to many different things.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Yes, having an inn be called The Gray Fox because someone's D&D character was called that RUINS the game.

What did you say about quick judgements again, in the other thread?
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Hmmm.. I don't care, if there are inns, npcs, weapons or anything else named by "investors" for as long as they "fit" into the games lore (which usually is guaranteed because the creators have naming-restrictions and guidelines which have to be followed).

As for Kickstarters in general, I think it's a good idea (even though I just participated in three so far) - because it gives creators the possibility (and freedom) to start projects, which wouldn't have seen the light of the day otherwise.

Especially in the case of Pillars of Eternity I'm more than thankful that it went so well, not only because of everything I read and saw of the game so far, but also as some kind of symbol to show the gaming industry that isometric turn-based (or RTwP) RPGs are far from dead!!! :)

But to be back on topic.. I'd really love to see the Eternity universe being expanded after Pillars (in case it IS that good/fun as it appears to become).. and if they use a more open-world like approach/setting (like Skyrims), but stay party-based, turn-based (or RTwP) and with much deeper characters, stories, systems and the engine of Pillars, then I certainly will participate in their Kickstarter.
    iKrivetko[Deleted User]
    I can only tell from my experience that the more you involve your fanbase into a project, the bigger the risk becomes of your project losing its integrity. I've seen it happen with one of my favourite webcomics. Such a shame. And be honest. Would you reallly like to have a broadsword called pixxie_faerie666 or something? Or an inn called Faggets_Fer_The_Win or something? Just saying my opinion, or is that not allowed anymore?
    elminsterCrevsDaak
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

I can only tell from my experience that the more you involve your fanbase into a project, the bigger the risk becomes of your project losing its integrity. I've seen it happen with one of my favourite webcomics. Such a shame. And be honest. Would you reallly like to have a broadsword called pixxie_faerie666 or something? Or an inn called Faggets_Fer_The_Win or something? Just saying my opinion, or is that not allowed anymore?

Yea it really will depend on implementation.
    [Deleted User]
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I think it's pretty likely they wouldn't allow that kind of names, kitteh. To just assume that they would is pretty over the top.
    Eudaemonium[Deleted User]
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    They've said on several occasions that they're working with the people who paid for the inns/weapons/NPC's to make sure it fits into the game. So no Bonecruzz0r55 or Sw0rd of teh 1337 Haxxx.

They're not fuckin' stupid.
    EudaemoniumiKrivetko[Deleted User]CrevsDaak
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    yeah I am sure it won't turn out bad. it will probably end up like what we have in DnD with melf's minute meteors or Tenser's transformation, using their names. they would have to make sure it is not something stupid that will break immersion
    [Deleted User]
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    One has to be excedingly stupid to expect that the devs would allow a name that won't fit into the setting. Often you won't even know that some NPC is named after a backer until you look into the credits. See Shadowrun Returns, for example.
    [Deleted User]
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    Bastard Sword "[OpTic]420NoScopeBLAZEITxXMLG<<2014>>SKRI||EXxAerithXx" +1, +3 vs. Lycanthropes

This is pretty much my dream weapon.
    Schneidend[Deleted User]CrevsDaak
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

You can express your opinion, but try to have an opinion that isn't based on wild conclusions and hysterics. The custom item tier only says the backer gets to HELP design the item. Obviously, Obsidian has the final say on everything, no matter how much money a backer gives them.
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaakalnairDrugar
    Well, if they ask me, I would name the first named enemy ogre "The Amazing Oaph", no one can say that it is a bad choice.
    And a High Level almost endgame enemy named Crevs Daak whom is mad and whats to kill you for nothing don't seems bad to me either, mainly because he can say he is the Lord of Chaos six hundred times :P