Skip to content

Tides of Torment Numeria Bad News

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Hopefully this thread lasts (unlike that other one). Anyways, I liked the combat in Kings Bounty: The Legend (and the expansion/games that followed it). So like I wrote earlier I guess we will have to see how its implemented.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    As a big fan of Final Fantasy Tactics and XCOM, I don't really see a problem.
    Chow
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Don't forget Worms.
    CrevsDaak
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Chow said:

Don't forget Worms.

Wasn't Worms meant to be played co-op or in multiplayer? And believe me, playing against/with a friend is way more fun than playing against a flawed computer AI.
    Chowelminster

Wasn't Worms meant to be played co-op or in multiplayer? And believe me, playing against/with a friend is way more fun than playing against a flawed computer AI.

Definitely. Only loners play against the computer. (Like me. ;_;)

It's beside the point, though. The point is that turn-based is infinitely superior and anyone that says otherwise will be given as a sacrifice to Bhaal.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Q: What can change the nature of a fan? A: Turn based combat.
    CrevsDaakjackjack
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I played lots of Worms 3D with my dad, he was only good in that game so... He beat me one or two times.
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577

Baldur's Gate RTwP system was revolutionary at the time and helped drive a lot of the interest in the game. Now 20 years later we go back to the the system that it replaced.

Madness? This is sparta.

Well, it's not revolutionary any more, and if it makes sense for the game and the setting, don't see why using turn based combat is necessarily a bad thing. nXile's reasoning was rather intriguing as to how they planned to implement.

Sure, it may be a bit retro, but you know what, the human race is rather retro-prone anyway.

Any change whatsoever, more like. You're not allowed to change what they love.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Chow said:

Any change whatsoever, more like. You're not allowed to change what they love.
    Why would game developers change something their fans love only to make it worse? From their point of view this would just mean losses in sales.
    CrevsDaakChow

Why would game developers change something their fans love only to make it worse? From their point of view this would just mean losses in sales.

It seems they've done just that in this case: a lot of people are upset they chose turn-based, and in the sake of fairness, I doubt that many would have cared if they had gone real-time with pause.

But I applaud them for that. They stick to their principles and make the game the best they can, in spite of it very possibly selling a few copies less that way.
    ErgCrevsDaak
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    The same amount of people would've complained if they went with real time. Poll said 50/50 when people voted.

They should go with what they feel is right and they did. The combat system is only a minor part of the game anyway, it's story and characters that should be important. Unless you really can't stand Turn Based to the point of ever being able to play a game that has pauses in action, there's really no reason to complain.
    Drugar said:

The same amount of people would've complained if they went with real time. Poll said 50/50 when people voted.

I'm aware, but I still rather doubt it: real time is more of a standard these days, not to mention what PS:T went with, so if they had gone with that, there wouldn't have been that much of a fuss. Those of us that voted for turn-based (such as me) would just be slightly disappointed but figure it was probably bound to be like this anyway.
    Erg
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Chow said:

Drugar said:

I'm aware, but I still rather doubt it: real time is more of a standard these days, not to mention what PS:T went with, so if they had gone with that, there wouldn't have been that much of a fuss. Those of us that voted for turn-based (such as me) would just be slightly disappointed but figure it was probably bound to be like this anyway.
    I voted turn-based, but I would not have complained at all if they went with RTwP.

I know that one does not make a statistic, but somehow I feel I'm not the only one :)
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Erg said:

Chow said:

Drugar said:

I voted turn-based, but I would not have complained at all if they went with RTwP.

I know that one does not make a statistic, but somehow I feel I'm not the only one :)
    I wouldn't have either, however I'm nigh ecstatic there's going to be a new turn-based game. @ajwz mysteriously disappeared when I asked him to list examples of the turn-based games' "much, much larger selection." Unfortunately it's because there isn't a large selection.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited December 2013
    edit: Nevermind
    Post edited by ajwz on
    I'm sorry, that's not helpful at all.

I thought we were told to stop trolling?
    elminsterCrevsDaak
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I apologise for being rude there - I've kind of had a bad couple of days

Anyway, as for listing turn based rpgs, I'll start with virtually every jrpg ever made. There are a ton of western rpgs that use it as well.

But it's entirely tangental to the point of this thread, which is why turn based was a bad choice of system for a torment sequel.
    Drugar
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Honestly, I think having combat at all was a bad choice of system for a torment sequel. =P
    CrevsDaakErgjackjack
    ajwz said:

Anyway, as for listing turn based rpgs, I'll start with virtually every jrpg ever made.

Actually, all Final Fantasy games (at least in the main line) since the fourth one have been more real-time, especially the later ones.

There are probably a lot more JRPGs than just Final Fantasy out there, though, so I'll give you that.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

Honestly, I think having combat at all was a bad choice of system for a torment sequel. =P

Anything to differentiate it from the most overrated WRPG of all time sounds good to me.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    ajwz said:

Anyway, as for listing turn based rpgs, I'll start with virtually every jrpg ever made.

What ?!

People are still comparing RPGs and jPRGs as if they belonged to the same game category ?

Weird :P
    edited December 2013
    JRPG isn't really an RPG anyway. There's hardly ever any actual role-playing choices to make.

I mean sure, western RPGs are rarely much better here, but they at least try. Lemme go find a picture...

This picture also handily illustrates why I vastly prefer to roleplay with friends.

Edit: Also, I swear if someone brings up Mass Effect 3 as "not having the same end result"...
  • AcridSyphilisAcridSyphilis Member Posts: 129
    with a title like that I thought the game was cancelled. It's a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment, not a literal one. Real time with pause is nice, but turn based is not the end of the world. It will be interesting to see how it will be implemented.
    ErgChow
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Spiritual in the sense that the original is dead, yep.
    elminsterCrevsDaak
    Cerevant said:

Spiritual in the sense that the original is dead, yep.

That is not dead which can eternal lie...
    KamigoroshiCrevsDaak
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    jackjack