Skip to content

Landrin and the Spiders

I remember doing this quest in Classic; you'd get a bunch of Antidotes for basically free in exchange for promising to take care of Landrin's spider infestation. Was this deliberately changed for Enhanced Edition, or is there a party requirement that I'm not aware of now?

Comments

• TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    She only gives them to someone with really high charisma.
    elminsterjackjackGrum[Deleted User]
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    You need 18 charisma to get the potions. You can also do the quest first, pick up the cloak of Algernon and charisma tome, then talk to Landrin and get antidotes for the trip to Cloakwood.
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Just cast "Friends", I did that in my, umm, in all my runs I've used a mage, so, in all my runs...
    jackjackMontresor_SPGrumCaptRory
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @nano just why one does not simply buy antidotes in a temple.
    Or, why one does not simply use the Slow Poison spell.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    Algernon is evil. I have proof...

Ever wonder why there's no pies in Beregost? It's because Algernon ate them all!
    Ever wonder why there's no cookies in Beregost? It's because Algernon ate them all!
    Ever wonder why there's no children in Beregost? It's because Algernon is EVIL!
    CrevsDaakGrumCaptRorydomeplsffs
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    There are children in Beregost. After you clear the Nashkel Mines, Officer Vai sends a child to tell you to meet her. This is evidence the child is real, and not just a creepy doll.
    EudaemoniumGrum
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    I'm tempted to rename this thread "Algernon is EVIL (also Landrin's Antidotes)"
    jackjackEudaemoniumCaptRory
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2013

Ever wonder why there's no pies in Beregost? It's because Algernon ate them all!
    Ever wonder why there's no cookies in Beregost? It's because Algernon ate them all!

I assumed there are no children in Beregost because Albert scared them all away with his toughness.
    CrevsDaak
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    edited December 2013
    Just cast detect evil and you'll find out soon enough! I'm sure Ajantis will find there's a sense of... evil about him no matter what his alignment is though.

I don't really care if Algernon is evil or not. He has a cloak I want. I usually have too much rep at some point and haven't invested anything in pick pockets. He's standing in a room all by himself. You do the math!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    elminster said:

I assumed there are no children in Beregost because Albert scared them all away with his toughness.

They are all playing hide and seek in the surrounding areas actually.
    There is a kid north and south of Beregost. There is a kid in Bassilus' map and then there is Albert a bit farther away.
    elminsterCrevsDaak
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2013

Just cast detect evil and you'll find out soon enough! I'm sure Ajantis will find there's a sense of... evil about him no matter what his alignment is though.

I don't really care if Algernon is evil or not. He has a cloak I want. I usually have too much rep at some point and haven't invested anything in pick pockets. He's standing in a room all by himself. You do the math!

Not that it matters but he is neutral good.
    kaffekoppenCaptRory
  • chbrookschbrooks Member Posts: 86
    I just barely picked up the quest and was given the potions with a Charisma 16/Rep 12, so maybe a 14 reaction is enough.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited December 2013
    chbrooks said:

I just barely picked up the quest and was given the potions with a Charisma 16/Rep 12, so maybe a 14 reaction is enough.

@chbrooks

That's weird! I've double checked (in BGEE v1.2).

[spoiler=Technical Stuff]the condition is ReactionGT(LastTalkedToBy,NEUTRAL_UPPER)

where (from IESDP)

0x403D ReactionGT(O:Object*,I:Value*Reaction)
    Returns true if the reaction of the object specified (on the friendly-hostile scale) to the player was greater than specified.
    NB. Reaction = 10 + rmodchr + rmodrep (see rmodchr.2da and rmodrep.2da).

and (from REACTION.IDS)

NEUTRAL_UPPER = 14

The table is also correct (it is from rmodchr.2da and rmodrep.2da)

So it is supposed to be 15 or more (i.e. Reaction > 14).[/spoiler]
    Do you have BGEE with the latest patch? Do you have any mod installed?

Edit: This just occurred to me, it is the charisma of the (N)PC talking to her (not necessarily CHARNAME) the one that matters, so are you sure she was not talking to someone else in your party with higher charisma ?

Edit2: Just tested this in-game and you need actually 15+, i.e. with charisma 16/reputation 12 I didn't receive any potion, with charisma 16/reputation 14 I did. So the most likely explanation is that, in your case, she was really talking to someone else in your party with higher charisma.
    Post edited by Erg on
  • chbrookschbrooks Member Posts: 86
    PC, 1.2 patch, no mods. Party included Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Montaron, and Xzar. Nobody above a 16 Charisma in the group. Guess I'm just lucky.
    chbrooks said:

PC, 1.2 patch, no mods. Party included Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Montaron, and Xzar. Nobody above a 16 Charisma in the group. Guess I'm just lucky.

@chbrooks

It sounds more like a bug than luck to me as there is no random component that I'm aware of, unless they have finally implemented a roll for reaction in BGEE (the original game manual erroneously stated that reaction is based partly on a random roll, but this was never implemented and the value was fixed to 10 instead) and IESDP has not been updated yet to reflect the change.

@Dee, maybe a developer can confirm if this is indeed the case.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    well, at least the mechanics explain why I was misremembering it - I usually go for some combination of "good" and "bard"
    jackjackErg
  • WaterRabbitWaterRabbit Member Posts: 11
    edited February 2014
    Not to resurrect the thread, but are you sure the formula is 10 + instead of 11 + ? I was able to hit a number of reaction points with a 17 CHA and a 0 Rep. The manual states that 2d10 are rolled - the average would be 11 instead of 10.

Not to resurrect the thread, but are you sure the formula is 10 + instead of 11 + ? I was able to hit a number of reaction points with a 17 CHA and a 0 Rep. The manual states that 2d10 are rolled - the average would be 11 instead of 10.

Yes, I'm sure that the formula is

Reaction = 10 + CHA Modifier + REP Modifier

I wasn't entirely sure, when I first wrote in this thread in 2013, but now I'm. See this.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited February 2016

Algernon always gets a good knocking, if my mind heads in that direction, because after finally choosing to 'befriend' one of those fine ladies so boldly wandering the streets of Beregost in the wee hours ~ just as we were exchanging pleasantries, so to speak, in a swank boudoir suite in Feldepost's establishment....in waddles this obtuse, misanthropic, lard tub. And all night long, AFAIK, just wandering around endlessly.... Goodness Gracious!!