Skip to content

Imoen's big fat round face

DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
I always hated her portrait from BG1... are they all getting redone?
pablo200783jpierce55bbearankhegSarAlesthesStratosjRaistlin82

Comments

• GaaraGaara Member Posts: 26
    sparrow13 said:

I would hope so, with the exception of Jaheira. Her BG1 portrait was fantastic while her BG2 portrait is a braided disaster. Minsc's BG1 portrait was pretty great as well.

I think her BG2 portrait is kinda cool ,ah well...
  • sparrow13sparrow13 Member Posts: 30
    elminster said:

What? Imoen's BG1 portrait is way better than her BG2 one, imo.

Personally I find her BG2 portrait to be better.
    I find that it shows the effects of Irenicus' torture on her face without making it look like he hired a two year old to do her hair (looking at you Jaheira...).
    Communard
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    sparrow13 said:

elminster said:

I find that it shows the effects of Irenicus' torture on her face without making it look like he hired a two year old to do her hair (looking at you Jaheira...).
    A two year old elf is how old?
  • sparrow13sparrow13 Member Posts: 30
    Boaster said:

A two year old elf is how old?

I don't understand the question. :s

I was referring to the knotted mess that is Jaheira's BG2 hair, since it looks like a small child grabbed it with their hands covered in peanut butter or play-doh or something.
    Hor89
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    elminster said:

Fair enough. I felt BG2 Minsc and Viconia portraits were good, but had improvements and drawbacks compared to the originals that made me wonder why they bothered. Though, when I first played BG2 I knew next to nothing about drow, so her blue-skinned portrait didn't really bug me.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Lolz, we'll see. At least in her BG1 portrait she doesn't look wah wah sad cry face though.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    I like her BG2 portrait more.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Trent Oster's Twitter:
    "Jason's portraits are for the player character. We won't mess with the originals. Mike did great work on BG"

So no, they will not be changed. The discussion in this thread is why.
    g314purebredcornDragonspearCaptRory
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I'm not keen on the Imoen picture in BG1, not because it is a bad picture, just because she looks older and more sophisticated than I imagine Imoen to be.

I think it would be nice to have some more variations to choose from but it I generally change all my BG portraits for IWD ones so it won't make much difference to me.
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305

I don't understand the question. :s
    A two-year old Elf would be the equivalent of like, a three-hour old Human newborn lol

I loved the evolution of portraits ALL of the original BG1 NPC's received in BG2. It really shows all the time that passed between the start of BG1 and the start of BG2, and the things that'd happened to them. Usually my games last anywhere from 200 - 250 days + the six months between BG1 and BG2, methinks that Imoen losing some baby fat around her face (and gaining a scar), is acceptable. She looks older... and frankly, more attractive. After losing her husband, after being tortured severely for a long time, I think Jaheira looking like a 'braided mess' is fitting... and her portrait is more attractive too. Viconia goes without saying. Edwin looks more diabolical to me, like his scheming has matured after witnessing REAL grandiose events unfold (rather then the ones in his mind). Look, like the other companions who were tortured and lost someone, looks weathered and older too.

Because their portraits in BG2 are 'grown up' versions of the BG1 originals (Except Viconia, who looks nothing like her comparatively hideous BG1 portrait), methinks that if their portraits ARE reworked they should try and be faithful to the originals.

Except Viconia :)
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    There are some portraits that I am simply too fond of to ever let go. The one that I currently have in my profile, and the one in-game to the "right" of him, the bald warrior-type with a skull symbol are two that I have in all BG games, and I plan to continue that tradition.
  • pablo200783pablo200783 Member Posts: 96
    Imoen original Imoen portrait look badly, like Plasmocat's portrait style Iomen 2# BG1(pink with nekalec)
    http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?app=gallery&album=16 alos Ajatnis portrait with helmet look crap.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

" HEYA ITS ME IMOEN" that cursed phrase has plagued my mind like a festering wound that will not heal.

It's made up for by her ending epilogue in TOB in my opinion.
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    Imoen's original portrait reminded me of babyfaced Lucy from 7th Heaven
  • selous_scoutselous_scout Member Posts: 8
    She looks too old and a bit weird in her BG 1 portrait. Her BG 2 portrait is great.
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    Drugar said:

Trent Oster's Twitter:
    "Jason's portraits are for the player character. We won't mess with the originals. Mike did great work on BG"

So no, they will not be changed. The discussion in this thread is why.

You heard that guys! Trent is awesome! Mike is awesome! 'Nuff said! =D

I can't understand what's wrong with the BG1 portraits. They're state-of-the-art to me. They look realistic and fit the game perfectly, while most BG2 ones almost look cartoonish to me (Edwin's two portraits are the best example I can think of). Good thing I can always change them back with ShadowKeeper. =P

(BTW, what about an EnhancedKeeper or something?)

And yes, FYI, my favorite portrait is BG1 Imoen's. Here... now I said it. Dare not touching it, you mutton-mongerin' riff-raffs! She looks exactly what she is supposed to be: cute, carefree, smart and cunning. A perfect match for a loveable rogue. Her BG2 portrait is too different for me, and... OK, she does look tortured alright, like she's expected to be in SoA, but I can't see a clue of her thief/mage class. What's left of the girl my PC grew up with? Luckily, she resumes her earlier personality in ToB.

I can understand some people like it and some people don't, and that's normal I guess. But removing it? No way!
  • SacherySachery Member Posts: 33
    I am allright with all portraits in both bg1 & 2. But if I shall pick a companion where I did not let the person join because of the portrait, it will be Faldorn. I nominat her to be the most ugly in bg1. Think she look like a evil witch and she is only true neutral.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Permidion_Stark She does look like a spoiled noblewoman to me. Haven't had her in my party, so I can't do the comparison of voice to image. Imoen, however, does not look like a young lady in the BG1 portrait. Not that I'd change her portrait for no reason, but I understand the point.
    Quartz
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606

I think the most inappropriate portrait in BG is the one for Skie. I always used the portrait for my female paladin and I was really surprised when I finally played a game where I got Skie into the party only to discover she looked just like me.

Agree. I think this is much more appropriate for a mage personally.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    Best Portrait of Imoen was one that was based on Alyson Hannigan.....mmmmmm Wiiiillllloooooow yummy.
  • Sir_CarnifexSir_Carnifex Member Posts: 47
    That portrait of Skie is off. Take a look at the positioning of the arm. She must be a contortionist...or have very short forearms.
    Quartz
  • catheraainecatheraaine Member Posts: 52
    I always used Jaheira's portrait for my own, and it would change hers to this one:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3083/3174029797_56374c7db5.jpg

So I was extra confused by the BG2 change. Though, now that I have discovered the internet and learned my mistake, everything makes much more sense to me.